Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1377929470179442694

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

The thing is we're all expecting Chauvin to still get acquitted somehow regardless of the evidence, aren't we?

But you can still judge whether a lawyer is good or not, regardless of whether the jury convicts or not.

A lawyer can do a great job and still lose a case or a terrible job and still win it depending on the case and the jury.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Chauvin faces 3 charges, second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.
Second-degree murder is upto 40 years in prison.
Third-degree is max 25 years.
Manslaughter is max 10 years.

My guess if less than 10 then there will be some.
If its less than 5, then things going to get hosed.

What's the difference between 2nd degree and 3rd degree murder?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

2nd is unpremeditated best of the moment, 3rd is felony murder or murder where you just had callous disregard and didn’t think “Imma kill this guy”

How is that different from manslaughter?

EDIT: I should have scrolled down. Lots of answers.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I suspect if Chauvin skates any charges it'll be murder 2, but I think murder 3 and or manslaughter are pretty much a given with how the police chiefs testified against him. Out of anything and the video and facts itself I think that sealed his fate.

If he gets murder 2, he's dying in prison.

You can be convicted for more than one of these? I would have thought being convicted of one, precludes be convicted of the others.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Police don’t give a poo poo about saving lives and have stood by watching someone die plenty of times. There is a Supreme Court decision that establishes that the police have no obligation to prevent a crime from taking place.
What was their justification for that one?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 21, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Clarste posted:

The police's job is to arrest people who have committed crimes, not to stop crimes from being committed. Stopping crimes is totally optional and the equivalent of being a Good Samaritan.

Couldn't this be changed with legislation?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The state has asked for 30 years. The defense has asked for time served. :rolleyes:

https://www.npr.org/sections/trial-...ge-floyd-murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Increase from presumptive sentencing guidelines because trial proved four possible aggravating factors beyond a reasonable doubt:

"(i) That Mr. Chauvin abused a position of trust and authority;
(ii) That Mr. Chauvin treated George Floyd with particular cruelty;
(iii) That children were present during the commission of the offense; and
(iv) That Mr. Chauvin committed the crime as a group with the active participation of three other individuals, former
Minneapolis Police Officers Thou Thao, Thomas Lane, and J. Alexander Kueng, who all actively participated with
Mr. Chauvin in the crime in various ways."

Can the prosecution of those other officers point to this, or would that not be allowed?