Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kalit posted:

After that cross examination of Dr. Thomas, I half expected Chauvin to fire Nelson on the spot. Some of those questions/hypotheticals were extremely embarrassing :laffo:

E: For context, one of Nelson's hypotheticals was as follows: If Chauvin was found dead in his house by himself without any other external circumstances present (e.g. no cops, etc), would she rule that death as a drug overdose?

I have to imagine that the prosecutor could have objected to the relevance, but would much rather have the defense attorney make an rear end of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

But you can still judge whether a lawyer is good or not, regardless of whether the jury convicts or not.

A lawyer can do a great job and still lose a case or a terrible job and still win it depending on the case and the jury.

Nelson appears competent but not particularly well-prepared or shrewd. His client just has no avenues of defense, which tends to make a defense attorney look like a butthead.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

JonathonSpectre posted:

Soldiers/sailors ITT, what would happen to a soldier who had this kind of video evidence against them with some detainee? Assuming it became public etc.

I'm not a troop, but you could ask Lynndie England how well that worked out for her.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Volmarias posted:

Or the chain of command that knew and apparently came away just fine, since there was a convenient scapegoat?

Yeah, that sucks but it sounds about right for the comparison. After all, police chiefs are very rarely fired or forced to resign after their officers kill someone.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gunthen posted:

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...olice-encounter

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/12/us/protests-today-daunte-wright-minneapolis

There have been protests in the Minneapolis Area after the Daunte Wright shooting in the last week.

Those are protests. Riots are like what happened on 1/6.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

redreader posted:

I haven't been reading the thread and I came to ask a question so I apologise if this has been covered in depth already:

Does the jury have some weird set of instructions, similar to what I've heard juries being told in the past, like 'you're not here to decide anything other than <very narrow definition or set of circumstances>'

Like I heard (probably in a legal podcast) some story about a jury that didn't want to have some guy punished for doing a crime they thought was basically a bullshit non-crime, but they were instructed that all they were there to do was to decide whether or not the person did the thing, and they weren't allowed to say the person did not do the thing.

I know that sounds really dumb. But I'm basically asking: Do the public think the jury is, for instance, deciding whether or not the police officer was being bad, but in fact they're actually deciding <some other weird set of legal circumstances that most people have no idea about>?

Well there were very specific and lengthy instructions to the jury about what each charge means and what is required to satisfy it. Sometimes in murder/manslaughter cases that can be important, if the jury is in agreement about the facts of the case but are deadlocked on something like intent or blatant disregard for life.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gunthen posted:

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...4b-a377dab0b87f

Protests are happening at the Hennepin County Government Center..

Are you gonna tell us where the riots are?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah I read it the same way. Judge was telling Nelson that he "may" bring that up on appeal, as in "you will have the opportunity to", same as he'd be allowed to bring up any other possible avenues.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Starsfan posted:

how would the cops know what the verdict is before the judge does?

calm down a bit people..

it is possible that the judge knows, but it is not typical or ethical.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

I was kind of wondering that myself? Also, if 2nd Degree Murder means he committed Murder while committing another felony, then technically what is the other felony?

Felony assault.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Chauvin had a long history of being a bully in uniform, so this is long overdue.

He's about to have another long history. It's really going to suck to be Derek Chauvin in state prison, for reasons totally unrelated to the fact that our prison system is inhumane and barbaric.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

i'd guess the judge will give him 20-25, and then he'll get time served and good behavior just in time to get out when he's 62 or so.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Garland does seem rather motivated here.

I don't know Merrick Garland, but I hope he's the sort of man who holds a grudge and serves his revenge cold.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hey speaking of Chauvin dying in prison, when is the sentencing scheduled for? I can't seem to find that info.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nice, thank you. That's pleasantly soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

raminasi posted:

An interesting fact about the Brock Turner case is that the judge was arguably doing just that.

Kinda makes me feel better to know that the judge in that case is just a big ol' softie who doesn't really seem interested in sending people to prison. At least his sentencing of Turner was in character and in keeping with his past decisions.