Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

beejay posted:

3 - the EMS took too long to get there so it's really their fault. They haven't pushed the EMS delay too much but it's come up a few times.

This is a take alright.

“Why didn’t the unarmed EMS crew come and rescue this man from the defendant? Sounds like their fault to me.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Adenoid Dan posted:

A doctor who is an expert on this testified that his respiratory rate was not depressed based on the breaths taken on the video, which on its own rules out fentanyl being the cause.

Yeah, it literally doesn't matter what the serum level is -- if someone has an appropriate amount of tolerance and isn't respiratory suppressed, it isn't an overdose.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Velocity Raptor posted:

Right now it seems the defense is presenting its case that a person being prone is not typically a cause of death. But that really seems like a dangerous road to go down, because wouldn't that further cement the fact that Mr. Floyd was killed not because he was prone, but rather because Chauvin was kneeling on his neck?

I’m not sure what cops are taught or why it is so common in LE, but during physical or chemical restraint we are taught to specifically NEVER prone anyone. EVER. Even without sitting on their necks or backs.

It’s just cops being a bunch of lazy fuckwads and they don’t care if it occasionally kills someone because they so rarely face consequences.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Velocity Raptor posted:

E: Example, "Mr. Floyd's oxygen saturation was 98%. That means that there couldn't have been more than 2% CO saturation, correct"

I hope not.

Pulse oximetry only measures bound hemoglobin under the assumption that it is bound by oxygen. It would not necessarily read lower on a carbon monoxide poisoned person, because it cannot differentiate carboxyhemoglobin.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume you do not perform pulse oximetry on a dead person.

Sure. I’m just saying even that’s a bad argument bc you can’t use SpO2 to determine level of CO poisoning. Or rule it out.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Monaghan posted:

This really has to be drilled into people's heads. It's not training. At bare minimum, it's the police culture that makes them think they are above the law, although I would argue the institution of policing has always been the problem.

Nothing will change until they drag that Killology rear end in a top hat to The Hague for crimes against humanity. Him and every single academy official who signed off on its use in their respective curricula.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dave Grossman is who you're thinking of.

One thing they really need to stop showing cops is the dashcam video of a traffic cop being killed in a stop. He pulls over a truck that was called in for acting extremely dangerous on the road, gives the driver all the chances, and ends up dying on his dashcam. The dude stopped was already known to have paranoid nervous breakdowns. His family had warned the cops about him. That wasn't relayed to the traffic cop. He expected to give a sobriety test or something and ended up getting murdered. The video is online, if you want to see it. It's not gory, but you get to hear the increasing panic in the traffic cop and his pleading after the dude shoots him, and you see the dude preparing for the execution.

I don't recommend it, it's horrible.

But that video gets shown regularly in training programs, and the lesson they use to teach it isn't "we need to prepare and train individual people for different situations and know all the details before we go in" it's "be prepared at any time for the one in ten million chance that the dude with the broken tail light might pull a gun out of his rear end and murder you."

If you needed to ask, the guy who cold-bloodedly executed the traffic cop was a bearded white man in camo.

Ah yeah, Grossman. Couldn't remember his name. I've seen the video, sadly--horrifying stuff.

Grossman exploited the tragedy of one death to basically further poison US policing with thin blue line, us v them bullshit.

Awful human.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’m anti-cop as gently caress but uhhh that knife was mid thrust going at the girl in pink. I mean ACAB and all but it’s hard to justify not applying deadly force to someone in the process of stabbing someone else.

I’d also like to point out that cops have earned no benefit of the doubt and are deeply in the red on the matter of use of force and I immediately assumed he just blasted someone for no apparent reason. The video is rough.

gently caress I dunno. Ugh. I hate that we even have to debate this poo poo.

Also knife wounds are loving awful and lethal and people acting like knife wounds are no big deal are super dumb.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

DetoxP posted:

Medically speaking, it is not reasonable to assume a single stab wound would be a non-fatal injury, although I feel that multiple people on both sides of the issue here are aware of that fact.

Knife wounds are nasty and insidious and anything central is getting maximum trauma attention. Even a single wound. Even with a known blade length and minimal suspicion of deep penetration.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

SchnorkIes posted:

That's irrelevant. They bring in active white shooters who were caught in the act unharmed like weekly. The cop would've de-escalated in a white area successfully. Someone getting murdered in a fight is less bad anyway than a cop killing.

If she had just been holding the knife or dropped the knife and been shot anyway I’d agree with you (and honestly I assumed that’s what happened initially). She was actively thrusting it at the body of another person.

I hate all this and it obviously needs more investigation as to what the gently caress happened, but him shooting someone who was actively stabbing someone else might be one of the few instances where deadly force is justified.

Again, there is no benefit of the doubt here. The video is pretty clear it was an active attempt at murder happening.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ryde posted:

Not just an active murder attempt but she was less than a second away from the knife actually going in. It's hard to tell who has actually watched the video (I don't blame people who don't want to watch it) because at least a few people seem to think she was just brandishing instead of literally inches away from injuring or killing the victim.

Yeah. In that way it is very different than the 13yo who was shot the other day, or Tamir Rice or the guy who was shot holding a BB gun no threateningly in a Walmart, et cetera ad nauseam.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ryde posted:

Adam Toledo is I think what you're referring to, and yeah that's an example that I'd consider unequivocally police murder. IIRC he had a gun but dropped it and raised his hands before the police just loving murdered him. Hopefully they rot in jail.

Don't remember anything about Tamir Rice but I'm going to guess its also police just straight up murdering people because thats a reasonable default position to take these days.

Rice was the very young child who was holding a toy gun in a park and an officer murdered him within 3s of arriving on-scene. The shot were fired before the cruiser had even fully stopped.

Don’t watch the video unless you want to just despair in an incredible scale.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it's weird how it changed right as the racist murder force arrived, to specifically justify them murdering here, and the only info they've released so far is something that justifies their murder.

Probably we should trust the police on this one, they're deserving of the benefit of the doubt based on their long history of being totally justified in murdering children.

I understand and generally agree with your skepticism but there was an active murder attempt happening on camera.

I too was skeptical. Then there was a video of a violent murder attempt and the officer intervening.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What role do police play in precipitating that murder attempt if they took an hour to show up?

Plenty. I’m not suggesting they’re free from blame or were perfect. But this isn’t the same kind of summary execution I’ve come to expect.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

SchnorkIes posted:

SHE WAS A SECOND AWAY FROM STRIKING is something we'll never know bc she was murdered by a racist cop. She was waving a knife in someone's face, an hour into an incident where she was holding off multiple attackers, and that's all we know right now.

A lot more brandishing gets done than murdering in this country, something which cops are systematically trained to ignore.

Honest question: did you watch the video?

She was thrusting the knife into a defensive person when she was shot.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

SchnorkIes posted:

Why is this thread giving the cops the benefit of the doubt, a day after "full abolition" was seemingly the thread consensus. They don't need you to defend them!

LeeMajors posted:

Honest question: did you watch the video?

She was thrusting the knife into a defensive person when she was shot.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I dunno I'm seeing a ton of people saying the cop was 100% justified and there were no other options?

I hope that's not what you think I'm saying.

It bears more investigation and there are lots of failures that contributed to this from the top down.

He should have intervened with non-deadly force but I think the video evidence suggests that immediate intervention was necessary and if ever there was a case within which deadly force might be justified it would be the intervention in the case of an actual attempted murder--which is what appears to be happening here.

gently caress racist policing. gently caress policing as an institution. gently caress the training that makes the gun the first reach. gently caress the training that requires cops to think of their safety above the people they purportedly serve.

But yeah, this wasn't the case of a senseless summary execution of an unarmed person that we've gotten used to seeing. She was actively trying to murder the other girl and he shot her. I think its ok to admit that this may not be 100% a case of complete police incompetence or malice while also believing that police needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Harold Fjord posted:

Murder has a pretty specific meaning that probably doesn't apply to a child who was being threatened and everyone is real quick to decide, based on video released by the cops to protect themselves, that she wasn't actually threatened but was the aggressor and had it coming because she was about to become a violent murderess. Please forgive my skepticism

There’s a difference between skepticism and being willfully obtuse.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Solitary confinement is torture. So there's that.

Toss him in general population. Solved. In several ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

PT6A posted:

That was also a miscarriage of justice, but that argument works a lot better with a 21-year-old rather than a middle-aged cop who was entrusted to use deadly force in service of maintaining law and order, and then killed a man.

It actually doesn't work at all in either case.

Punishment is supposed to be loving unpleasant.

I'm like really against our carceral state, but violent criminals like rapists and murderers are the ones who probably do deserve jail time and the argument that "jail sucks" doesn't fly here.