Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If that cop's training prepared him for this specific situation where dumping an entire magazine into someone six seconds after opening his car door can be justified as appropriate, and it only worked because he was drilled relentlessly on how he must empty his gun on the basis of a split-second decision in order to stop a murder, how dangerous is it to send him into any other situation?

If there's a feral rottweiler in the alley behind my house and it happens to tear someone's throat out while they're in the process of murdering someone else, I'm still not going to feel safe taking my garbage out or leaving for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vorik posted:

Yeah. She was in foster care and the people who were taking care of her made the situation worse. You can actually see in the video her foster father kicking the downed girl who Makiah first charged at.

jesus. stuff like that makes me curious who started what. because apperently Makiah was one of the folks who called the cops.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
There's a lot of ways a fight with a knife involved might end up with someone hurt or dead and that sucks but running into the situation and mag dumping into a child guarantees it. It's a miracle he didn't kill anyone else. 99% of the time when kids, especially non white kids, fight it's just posturing anyway and anyone with sense knows this.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It was a 5-4 decision written by Scalia, which I'm sure will surprise you:

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

There was a similar case that ended in a federal circuit court where a guy who was stabbed a bunch of times sued NYPD because they had stationed cops to look for a guy who was running around stabbing people but the cop stationed near this guy ran away and locked himself in a utility room to watch through a window when the stabbing started. The attacker was subdued by other people nearby and the cop then came back and called more police but wouldn't let anyone help the stabbing victim as he lay bleeding out, but he lived to see himself lose in court.

Holy gently caress

What is the actual point of the police then if they aren't there to protect people from crimes or violence?

You are better off yelling to random strangers for help. Sweet! Makes the whole disarming them case a lot easier.

Also, having seen the footage now, that girl was very much in lethal positioning with the knife. It's a pretty murky case at best, although I still argue "gun first" was not the only option.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 21, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SchnorkIes posted:

There's a lot of ways a fight with a knife involved might end up with someone hurt or dead and that sucks but running into the situation and mag dumping into a child guarantees it. It's a miracle he didn't kill anyone else. 99% of the time when kids, especially non white kids, fight it's just posturing anyway and anyone with sense knows this.

Meanwhile anyone with eyes sees a knife being express mailed to the girl in pink's organs

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I love it when conservatives make the claim that the OD is what killed Floyd and not the knee on his neck.

Even if the OD is what killed him, Chauvin would still be guilty of murder. Chauvin chose to kneel on Floyd's neck until he was dead, instead of administer a dose of Narcan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy gently caress

What is the actual point of the police then if they aren't there to protect people from crimes or violence?

Protection of property and social control.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy gently caress

You are better off yelling to random strangers for help. Sweet! Makes the whole disarming them case a lot easier

Honestly, I just think of this whenever people respond to defunding the police with "Who will be there to protect you!?" How often do police actually protect people instead of just clean up after-the-fact? I can think of a few active shooter situations where adding the police helped save people and then theres things like the capitol riot, but those seem like a drops in the bucket.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

HonorableTB posted:

Meanwhile anyone with eyes sees a knife being express mailed to the girl in pink's organs

That's irrelevant. They bring in active white shooters who were caught in the act unharmed like weekly. The cop would've de-escalated in a white area successfully. Someone getting murdered in a fight is less bad anyway than a cop killing.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think that girl was definitely raising a deadly weapon and was imminently going to inflict potentially lethal trauma on another person, and this is what is being reacted to

I also believe that if this was happening in another country where police are in any way decently trained, better outcomes would have been much more possible.

How much better? I don't know. but maybe at least ones where i wouldn't be saying "pretty much the only thing i'm happy about is that the potential stabbing victim was miraculously unharmed by the proxy endangerment of standing next to someone that an american cop started utterly unloading into"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SchnorkIes posted:

That's irrelevant. They bring in active white shooters who were caught in the act unharmed like weekly. The cop would've de-escalated in a white area successfully. Someone getting murdered in a fight is less bad anyway than a cop killing.

If she had just been holding the knife or dropped the knife and been shot anyway I’d agree with you (and honestly I assumed that’s what happened initially). She was actively thrusting it at the body of another person.

I hate all this and it obviously needs more investigation as to what the gently caress happened, but him shooting someone who was actively stabbing someone else might be one of the few instances where deadly force is justified.

Again, there is no benefit of the doubt here. The video is pretty clear it was an active attempt at murder happening.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I think the problem is and remains that police in this country IMMEDIATELY jump to lethal force because their training makes them that way. Look at the 13 year old. Kid threw whatever weapon he had to the ground and put his hands up slowly turning around, still got shot.

The cop could have easily killed both of them at that close range.

It's the training and mindset that are the problem.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

LeeMajors posted:

Again, there is no benefit of the doubt here. The video is pretty clear it was an active attempt at murder happening.

Not just an active murder attempt but she was less than a second away from the knife actually going in. It's hard to tell who has actually watched the video (I don't blame people who don't want to watch it) because at least a few people seem to think she was just brandishing instead of literally inches away from injuring or killing the victim. There was maybe a 2 second window where the officer had an opportunity to tackle her (setting aside the discussion as to whether we should expect cops to tackle people with knives).

ryde fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 21, 2021

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SchnorkIes posted:

Someone getting murdered in a fight is less bad anyway than a cop killing.

I'm sorry? Can you please take another crack at this sentence, because I don't think this is what you meant to say.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ryde posted:

Not just an active murder attempt but she was less than a second away from the knife actually going in. It's hard to tell who has actually watched the video (I don't blame people who don't want to watch it) because at least a few people seem to think she was just brandishing instead of literally inches away from injuring or killing the victim.

Yeah. In that way it is very different than the 13yo who was shot the other day, or Tamir Rice or the guy who was shot holding a BB gun no threateningly in a Walmart, et cetera ad nauseam.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Baronash posted:

I'm sorry? Can you please take another crack at this sentence, because I don't think this is what you meant to say.

It would've been a better outcome if he had let the girl with the knife do what she was doing to do and then arrested her, even if there was a loss of innocent life. The damage to communities from the State parachuting in and performing street executions is far greater than that from literally anything else.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah. In that way it is very different than the 13yo who was shot the other day, or Tamir Rice or the guy who was shot holding a BB gun no threateningly in a Walmart, et cetera ad nauseam.

Adam Toledo is I think what you're referring to, and yeah that's an example that I'd consider unequivocally police murder. IIRC he had a gun but dropped it and raised his hands before the police just loving murdered him. Hopefully they rot in jail.

Don't remember anything about Tamir Rice but I'm going to guess its also police just straight up murdering people because thats a reasonable default position to take these days.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

What was their justification for that one?

Basically, it's not automatically unconstitutional for a government agency to fail to intervene to protect someone from non-governmental action. It may be illegal other under laws, but it's not inherently a violation of constitutional rights unless certain other conditions are met.

State or federal laws have the option of establishing such a requirement themselves, but often do not - in fact, many states specifically reject such a requirement in their laws. For example, California law explicitly states that no public entity or employee can be held liable for failure to provide adequate police protection:

quote:

Neither a public entity nor a public employee is liable for failure to establish a police department or otherwise to provide police protection service or, if police protection service is provided, for failure to provide sufficient police protection service.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Apparently it took an hour between the police call and the police arriving and the person who called is the dead child and and they were calling because people were getting frisky with knives, but anyone who knows knife fighting can tell you they take about an hour.

I recommend you try it with a sharpie. It's just facts.

Also we should trust the limited amount of info we have from the white supremacist organization that just murdered a black child and declare the the Fabled Good Kill rather than waiting and seeing more information as it comes out.

Trusting Chicago PD on Jussie Smollett really paid off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy gently caress

You are better off yelling to random strangers for help. Sweet! Makes the whole disarming them case a lot easier.

Also, having seen the footage now, that girl was very much in lethal positioning with the knife. It's a pretty murky case at best, although I still argue "gun first" was not the only option.

The supreme court case was about a woman whose ex-husband kidnapped her kids, called her, and said he was going to kill the kids unless she called the police to stop him. When she called the police and asked them to go stop him from killing the kids, they said they'd look into it and didn't send anybody. He killed the kids, drove to the police station, threw their bodies out in front of the main doors, and started yelling through the glass for them to kill him, which they did.

As has been posted above, the police exist to protect property and preserve the present social order. They do not help people and will cite the above case if anyone tries to compel them to provide any kind of help.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jaxyon posted:

Apparently it took an hour between the police call and the police arriving and the person who called is the dead child and and they were calling because people were getting frisky with knives

Setting aside the rest of the post, the police department should absolutely be dragged over this. A knife fight should jump to the top of the priority list and involve going in sirens blaring.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Also UK cops deal with this exact scenario without guns routinely because instead of weeping about sharpies they accept some loving risk to themselves.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SchnorkIes posted:

It would've been a better outcome if he had let the girl with the knife do what she was doing to do and then arrested her, even if there was a loss of innocent life. The damage to communities from the State parachuting in and performing street executions is far greater than that from literally anything else.

"Do what she was going to do" is a cute way to say "commit murder."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ryde posted:

Adam Toledo is I think what you're referring to, and yeah that's an example that I'd consider unequivocally police murder. IIRC he had a gun but dropped it and raised his hands before the police just loving murdered him. Hopefully they rot in jail.

Don't remember anything about Tamir Rice but I'm going to guess its also police just straight up murdering people because thats a reasonable default position to take these days.
Rice was also super obviously police murder too.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Baronash posted:

Yes I usually call the cops on myself and hang around for an hour when I'm about to commit murder.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ So you're purposely ignoring what happened? ^^^^^

Baronash posted:

Let children commit murder to strengthen the community is a fresh take, I have to admit.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jaxyon posted:

Yes I usually call the cops on myself and hang around for an hour when I'm about to commit murder.

The situation obviously changed within that hour because the video I watched shows her trying to murder someone.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

SchnorkIes posted:

I think when you're swinging a potentially lethal weapon at someone's body it's gone beyond posturing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ryde posted:

Rice was the very young child who was holding a toy gun in a park and an officer murdered him within 3s of arriving on-scene. The shot were fired before the cruiser had even fully stopped.

Don’t watch the video unless you want to just despair in an incredible scale.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ryde posted:

The situation obviously changed within that hour because the video I watched shows her trying to murder someone.

Yeah it's weird how it changed right as the racist murder force arrived, to specifically justify them murdering here, and the only info they've released so far is something that justifies their murder.

Probably we should trust the police on this one, they're deserving of the benefit of the doubt based on their long history of being totally justified in murdering children.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

SchnorkIes posted:

Also UK cops deal with this exact scenario without guns routinely because instead of weeping about sharpies they accept some loving risk to themselves.

They do yes as knives are the most dangerous things UK cops usually deal with and thus they get a lot of training for handling those situations. US cops don't get that training to the same extent if any as they're mostly worried about everyone around them being able to buy a gun down the street.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it's weird how it changed right as the racist murder force arrived, to specifically justify them murdering here, and the only info they've released so far is something that justifies their murder.

Probably we should trust the police on this one, they're deserving of the benefit of the doubt based on their long history of being totally justified in murdering children.

What evidence do you think would change the fact that she was trying to murder someone? I'm open to suggestions here but the video has about 10 seconds between the officer arriving and her trying to murder the girl in pink. I don't see a lot of wiggle room here for "actually its the cops fault she was swinging a knife at someone" or "actually she wasn't trying to murder someone by literally swinging a knife at them."

I don't give cops a benefit of a doubt. I absolutely assumed that the cop just straight up murdered her. But the video is evidence, and the only details that I can think of are around what details of the altercation the cop was informed of by dispatch, whether they had a taser, and whether a taser would be a reasonable response in this situation.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

Are you implying the police doctored the footage and placed the a knife there? Like what?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Jaxyon posted:

I understand and generally agree with your skepticism but there was an active murder attempt happening on camera.

I too was skeptical. Then there was a video of a violent murder attempt and the officer intervening.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I don't think anyone in this thread was giving cops the benefit of the doubt actually. Literally everyone was pretty upset and assumed that the cops murdered the girl, until the bodycam video came out. That's not giving the cops benefit of the doubt.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Are there any witnesses who have said anything about the attempted stabbing so far? I feel like at the very least the witnesses would be conflicted about the shooting if they saw a stabbing was imminent.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

TulliusCicero posted:

Are there any witnesses who have said anything about the attempted stabbing so far? I feel like at the very least the witnesses would be conflicted about the shooting if they saw a stabbing was imminent.

One of the witnesses claimed that the girl dropped the knife, which was a large part of why everyone initially reacted the way they did. The video clearly contradicts that testimony.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I understand and generally agree with your skepticism but there was an active murder attempt happening on camera.

I too was skeptical. Then there was a video of a violent murder attempt and the officer intervening.

What role do police play in precipitating that murder attempt if they took an hour to show up?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Baronash posted:

Excuse me but Ohio has Stand Your Ground laws, so deeming this attempted murder seems premature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Did the cops not have tazers? Why are we going straight to lethal force? Or did they just gently caress up and shoot the wrong weapon again?