Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Let's run this franchise into the ground.

1. Pirates - Because anyone good we develop we'll have to trade away since owner Bob Nutting is a penny-pinching rear end in a top hat.
2. Rockies - Because dingers, and because their owner Charles Monfort will not only trade away our mega-star player, he'll tell us to give the other team $50 million while he's at it.

Jay Niles as our bonus, you can never have enough pitching and knuckleballs are loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Two things.
1) Go through our front office, coaching staff, and minor league staff and shitcan the people who are anything less than good at their jobs. Hire people who are good or better for those jobs. Plenty are available. This costs some money up front, but not that much and might significantly improve our player development and our scoring.

2) Promote Jarred Kelenic and make him our starting CF. This is a new day in Seattle, and if we reach 6 years of game play then we can feel with not having that extra year of service time.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

FREE KELENIC!

Player acquisition
2. Trash Heap Players - You'll get plenty of useful pieces from the waiver wire and we should be filtering for

Roster Strategy
3. Push this year. - We've got a good to very good farm system, have no major long term commitments, and we're not that far from being a .500 club. We shouldn't take on any major contract commitments, though.

Team Strategy
2. Smallball - Sabermetric three true outcomes is probably a more optimal way to play, but it's loving boring.

General Priorities
2. Pitching - You can never have enough pitching.

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
2. Contact - Smallball requires it.
3. Eye - Speed might work better for smallball, but getting on base is really important.

Pitcher priorities:
3. Movement - Only the filthiest stuff for the people of Seattle.

Pitcher priorities:
1. Starters - Starters, even in this day of 7 inning starts being rare, still pitch way more than relievers do.

Coaching Staff
2. Fire manager, hitting, pitching coach - I'd need to see their actual stats to determine who to actually fire, but I might keep Servais as a sacrificial lamb to pin the blame on if this season goes poorly... and fire the trainer.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Voodoofly posted:

Pitcher priorities:
2. Control -- the least sexy option!

Dehumanize yourself and face towards Carlos Silva.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

VOTE

Manager:
2. Buck Showalter - Proven, and good with younger teams. All you people picking Yost are setting us up to get Yosted.

Hitting Coach:
1. Joey Demonte

Pitching Coach:
2. Bruce Billings - We're developing a fairly young team, we should support that.

Outfield: Keep/Trade/Demote
1. Taylor Trammell - Keep as our LF.
2. Kyle Lewis - Keep as our CF.
3. Mitch Haniger - Use as trade bait.
4. Jarred Kelenic - FREE KELENIC, he was originally a CF so he should be able to handle right?
5. Julio Rodriguez - Season some more in the minors, preferably, and if he gets off to a good start we can use him as a DH. We could always use him later as a centerpiece for a trade.

Pitching upgrades (pick 1-3):
4. De Geus - He's cheap and he's going to probably be a back end starter at least.
5. Robertson - He's cheap right now because it's the end of the offseason. Pick him up for 8m/2 years or 5m/1 and worst comes to worst we flip him near the trade deadline for some lottery tickets.

Infield upgrades (pick 0-1):
1. Ha-Seong Kim - and I strongly advise it.

DH Upgrade (pick 0-1):
None of them.

Catcher Upgrades (pick 0-1):
None of them.

Keep/Extend/Trade
1. Kyle Seager - wait until the end of the season. If he doesn't fall off a cliff, pick up his option. He's a club legend, we should NOT trade him for a bag of balls.
2. Jim Paxton - Re-signing him is one of our commandments by the owner, right? How much would it cost to extend him?

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 9, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LOL at 4/100 for a 32 year old pitcher with a UCL made of string cheese. Keep him for now, we're still trying to be good this season.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

VOTE
Trades
2. Go after a big name on the trade block. - There's a number of SS in their final season of contract, including Baez. I'd get whoever's the cheapest amongst them. How are the Jays doing? Semien might be available for less than most of those dudes. Voit is... fine, but will be expensive and I feel like we can do better.

Extensions
1. Corey Knebel - No more than 3/20m, relievers are fungible.
2. Kendall Graveman - At 2/2.8m he's affordable and we can see if his improvement is real. Does he still have an option year? Because that'd allow us to stick him in AAA if he sucks next year.

Transactions:
1. Send down Kelenic - UNFREE KELENIC!
2. Call up Rodriguez - This is a lot cheaper than buying Voit, and I'm pretty sure we'll have him for 4 arb years given how late in the season we're calling him up.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well, we're doing far better than we expected. When does the other shoe drop?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

edit: Holy hell Ned, just keep trotting Kikuchi out there even though he's getting loving shelled. HOW COULD THAT GO WRONG

BOOM, YOSTED.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I am anti-contract fuckery. Bring him up. :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I should note that there's a decent chance one, two, or possibly all three of those pitching prospects might blow out their arms in the minors. One reason to let them come to the majors is that you might as well get MLB innings out of them before they do it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Pavin Smith ended the season with a very good OBP, but we gotta be able to upgrade a 1B that's slugging under .400 at Coors Field.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Giles
2) ride it out and let him walk

Coaching staff:
1) Extend both

LOOGY:
1) Trade for Burl Carraway

Marco Gonzales:
2) Keep him on board

I should note that we are winning far too much to achieve peak profitability. We could make much more money if we cut bait with our higher salary players, and I'm sure we'd still make the playoffs.

We also are failing to put our "smallball" approach into play - halfway through the season we have three starters on pace for 150+ whiffs, and another three on pace for over 100.

If I were the owner, I'd be tempted to let you win a World Series as GM, and then order you to cut salary.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

I like this.

For Draft regen prospects, I would like to see a Michael Jordan that actually devoted his life to baseball. I don't know what that would do to him physically, or whatever, but if this game has mental stats, I want you to up his to whatever you believe would make a young ballplayer say "And I took that personally".

Same for Tim Tebow. I don't think Tebow would ever be an all-star, but he managed to get good enough to post a .734 OPS in AA despite not having played baseball between ages 16 and 28.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We're getting out in the trash can.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, now we need to slash costs. I, personally, don't think we should be spending any more than $26m a year in base salary for the big league roster. :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Do the Trade

that also answers our 3B problem

Shop Trammel and Sheffield

But if Sheffield will actually sign for 14-17 million AAV he might be worth just keeping around TBQH

I don't really favor one guy over the others w/r/t extensions really.

The kid is much cheaper than Leiter. Do the trade.

Also, sell off Sheffield and Trammel for pre-arb guys. Every penny the players get is one less towards my megayacht!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

After deciding to hitch our wagon to Wacky Jack Leiter, we pay the man: 8 years, $176 million. We pay quite a bit extra for two team options in the last two years, and include both a NTC and substantial bonuses for MVP, Cy Young, or All-Start selections -- all of whom will likely be paid more than once during his contract. He's a Mariner now and forever, or at least through his age 32 season.

We also get an extension done for Julio Rodriguez: 7 years, $181 million. This is a lot of money for us to spend on one player, but he's...pretty good. He may be trade bait down the line, but for now, he's in town until he's 30.

Finally, we manage to squeeze Andres Munoz into a 4 year, $32 million deal with a TO in the last year. Him sticking around will help stabilize our upcoming bullpen rebuild.

For $389m I could have bought MBS's superyacht! Stop giving my money to the plebs who toil at my firm!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Paige

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yes, but are we Winning the Right Way?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:yeshaha:
Bandbox to get more seats that will bring in more revenue!

I'm getting a megayacht!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Are any of these guys especially good at avoiding K's? I'd love to see us put together a team that has no one over 100 Ks in a full season of AB. It'd be a challenge, though.

We are all but poor SINNERS - I'm OK with you spending money on a premier Japanese import.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, on the offseason votes more fully:

Ballpark Renovations
3) Bandbox

3 Year Strategy Items

Player Acquisition
2) Trash Heap Players: Try and find inexpensive, undervalued players through trades, Rule 5, and free agency. Example: Rays

Competitiveness
2) But not to the point of tanking!

Scouting Priorities
1) Hitting

Hitting tools (prioritize two):
2) Contact
X) Avoid K's

Pitching tools (prioritize one):
2) Control

Pitchers:
1) Starters

Extensions
Keibert Ruiz doesn't strike out, and I like that. If we can trim the budget, extending him is OK.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

It looking this up, I did come across the legendary Willians Astudillo, who is still making a go of it at age 34. He just finished a season as a backup catcher where he slashed 301/344/451...with 4 K's in 163 PAs. ...nice.

Too bad about the concept, but holy cow La Tortuga got his "brotherhood of the backup catcher" membership! He'll be around for another 5 years! I love him.

Here's him when they asked him to pitch an inning to save the bullpen during a blowout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jotbKXA35vU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm all for a Knuckledraft of Hoyt Wilhelm, the Neikro brothers, Tom Candiotti, Tim Wakefield, and RA Dickey replacing the best pitching prospects one year.

Are the Frackers now affiliated with the Phillies or one of the NY teams?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Keep Moeller, he's cheap.

We can't afford the extension AND the downpayment on my private 787-800.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

Jarred "loving" Kelenic has a torrid September to take the WAR title -- and probably MVP, again -- away from either Bats or J-Rod.

This is the last year Kelenic is likely to be with the Royals, right? Or did they extend him? I'm intrigued by this storyline. It's like if Mookie Betts had been traded for Nolan Arenado before the 2015 season.

bewbies posted:

Ricky Velez enters pro ball and gets...destroyed. He may not make it out of rookie ball. That was $5 million well spent, hope he buys a boat or something with it.

Hah! After taxes he's only got half of that, and you might as well buy a rowboat for what you can get for $2.5m.

Apropos my skinflint owner routine, is there a way to up the difficulty? It might just be that you're extremely good at OOTP, but I feel like Scoutin' Pete's unerring eye makes finding talent really easy and they've (mostly) developed as hoped... and we haven't had players just fall off a cliff at young ages/get hurt for long stretches like happens in real life. The playoffs are still a crapshoot, but this team as set up seems like it could keep things rolling for like 5+ years of 90+ wins.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well, I know the great state of Washington is thinking about Ranked Choice Voting, so in that vein:

1- Option A('s), the "Our poo poo doesn't work in the regular season"
2 - Option 3, the "Dan Snyder Jr."
3 - Option 1, the "Trouble with the Curve"
4 - Option 2, the "Benny and Bobby Break Up"

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't agree, we may have a core signed long term but we've been cycling players in and out pretty frequently.

Yeah, we've done very well trading off currently good but nearing end of arb players for new blood. The scout doesn't even have to be terrible, just an average one would make that a lot harder.

e: A bad medical staff would also be rough, it would mean we had to build a lot of depth. I'm not as big a fan of that option since it's a bit of a crapshoot and I don't want to be unfair.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 5, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

He demands we extend the tattered remains of Noah Syndergaard, who hasn't pitched more than 40 innings in a season since 2021 and whose had no fewer than 4 major arm/shoulder injuries.

Excellent.

I also noted that our goal for next year is "Don't suck completely."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'd note that one of our goals is to improve the rep of our manager, so sticking with our current guy is unwise since what Monty wants, Monty gets.

VOTE

Manager:
2. Maddon - Seems like his type of thing, tbh.

Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco - I demand the finest steroids for our players in the land.

Pitching Coach:
1. Shuttlesworth - We're gonna need to eek out every advantage we can.

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
1. Build through prospects - Next year is going to suck, but we'll get a couple rounds of high draft picks!

Roster Strategy
2. Tank hard this year. - We don't really have a choice, we're gonna have to try not to lose 100 games this coming year. We can get ourselves set up to make a run at .500 in year two, though.

Team Strategy
1. Sabermetrics - Matches the inclinations of Maddon and Shuttlesworth.

General Priorities
1. Hitting - Specifically, beefy boys bombing blimp-scrapers to the bay and beyond.

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
1. Power
2. Contact

Pitcher priorities:
2. Control - Walks are poison.
&
1. Starters - unless we want to go full bore 15 pitchers on the roster using openers for everything.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

One more voting question on an issue that eluded me:

Josh Gibson is the A's top prospect but doesn't appear as such on the list because they called him up for no good reason last year. We'd put in place a rule that we couldn't trade for or draft any LEGENDS OF BASEBALL that we put in the game, but us switching teams and having a LEGEND OF BASEBALL in the org was not discussed.

Unfortunately, it looks like the A's did a number on Gibson's development, and he now projects more like a decent big league catcher than an all-time great.

Anyway, do we:

1) Trade him away, probably for an A-/B+ prospect
2) Keep him and hope for the best.

2) Keep him - and do whatever we can to try and fix him.

Also, he got into 9 games... what did they do? Call him up from like high-A and leave him on the bench all season?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

"The call me Gunnaaaaaar!"
"And I'm Ty."

They gonna bash it out.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

Josh Gibson has a nice spring; he might still be on a star pathway. We'll send him down and make SURE he gets a lot of playing time behind the dish -- he did still hit 371/406/661 in high A last year, so reports of his demise may have been...premature. Even Pete has to admit he jumped the gun.

:unsmigghh:

Yeah, this is a season Bewbies is gonna end up playing in 3 day increments to check the waiver wire constantly.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Phwoar, Aiden. Projects to Plus contact, Plus Discipline, and Plus Plus Power. His range ain't great, but he's got the softest hands around and a howitzer arm. He'd stick at 3B for a while and have a shot at 50 dingers in a season. All while being a year and a half younger than Berry. Literally my only concern would be his tendency to get frustrated when facing adversity. Because every player struggles at some point coming up, and thus far in his life he hasn't. And that's not something to overlook, the joint-best Baseball Movie's plot is driven by a dude with a million dollar arm and a 5 cent head. But still. That power.

Tommy Corresel... I can see it. I don't love his stuff/movement/control all topping out at merely plus, and strikes me as the type of guy who might top out at a #3 starter. But if he actually ends up with 4 plus pitches to go with the physical tools then he could be very good for a few years until his arm blows out. He's cerebral, too. If that translates to the mound he'll make extremely good use of his pitches. I wouldn't call slightly above average stamina an "innings-eater" tho.

Chris Berry is already pretty developed, I don't think he's going to be a CF at the big league level. Even as a RF, though, he should be pretty good. He'd already be a solid contributor if his hit tool gets to plus, but he simply doesn't swing at bad pitches. I can see a regular .400 OBP from this kid through his mid-late 20s, to go with 20-30 dingers and 15-20 steals. I also like that he focuses on the essentials. Nothing is more essential than "see the ball, hit the ball."

Groce appears to have reached high school fully formed, his stats are identical across all four seasons. Stats at that level are literally pointless, but I'd still like to have seen some improvement between ages 15-18. I also don't think he'll stick at SS, he'd either slide over to 2B or 3B. 2B would be a waste of his plus plus arm, 3B would be a waste of the wonderment that is his pivot on the double play. The other thing about high schoolers is that they're harder to project than college players, just because they're so much younger. If his approach at the plate improves and he gets to Plus discipline he's going to be an all star. If his eye ends up grading out Minus, he's going to struggle to produce even with Plus contact and power. If ol' Monty were still alive I'd argue strongly against, because we'd be risking getting canned before he develops. With Failson Burns, we'd be able to see if he made good.

I think we should go with Aiden Harris. Good 3B are extremely hard to find.

e: Also, we can call him the "Bashbino"

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 7, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Are there any good glove, cheap shortstops who can OPS over .600? Because, uh, that seems like a position of need right now.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I vote aye.

Have we been able to make any decent waiver wire acquisitions?

e: And man, our payroll must be like $30m. Monty Burns is smiling up at us.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 7, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We didn't even lose 90 games. That's pretty impressive.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rest In Pete. Looking forward to your scout report on God saying he's got only a 60 hit tool.

quote:

Not bad for a former Top Ten Player In Baseball.

I like this reference.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

(a Spirit appears in the private washroom of Larry Burns)

"Oh, John Mozeliak! Why I remember him from discovering that youngster Rogers Hornsby!"

"Cut bait with that Rodriguez chap! Why, the nerve of him to ask for so much money. Why, I bet that we could sign The Sinner for roughly that much money! And same for that Billy Beck, I don't trust a man who hails from the same clan as that long haired scientologist doo-wop boy. But do win me more World Series, my son!"

"Now, fetch me my nerve tonic. I haven't felt this alive since 19-dickety-2."

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I wonder how minus movement works with a plus splitter and plus plus slider & screwgie?

Hitters probably just gotta sit fastball and adjust to the changeup.