Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am the unofficial tech person for my school (small alternative ed school). This past fall, we got new hP Envy Microsoft 10 laptops for all of our teachers.

Recently, we (including myself) got BitLocker notices on them. Everyone so far has not had an issue with getting the recovery key. But now I have a teacher who, when she puts in her email address, it says “You don’t have any BitLocker recovery keys uploaded to your Microsoft Account.”

She is the only one to have used this laptop so I cannot figure out why there is no key to get.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any ideas on what I can do to help fix it?

Edit: Finding out that when she set up her laptop, she used a gmail account so I am wondering if that is keeping her from getting the recovery key.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am the unofficial tech person for my school (small alternative ed school). This past fall, we got new hP Envy Microsoft 10 laptops for all of our teachers.

Recently, we (including myself) got BitLocker notices on them. Everyone so far has not had an issue with getting the recovery key. But now I have a teacher who, when she puts in her email address, it says “You don’t have any BitLocker recovery keys uploaded to your Microsoft Account.”

She is the only one to have used this laptop so I cannot figure out why there is no key to get.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any ideas on what I can do to help fix it?

Edit: Finding out that when she set up her laptop, she used a gmail account so I am wondering if that is keeping her from getting the recovery key.

This would be better suited for SH/SC

If she did use a gmail account to setup the laptop, she ought to be able to log into the Microsoft website with that email address and whatever password she created for that MS account. Once she gets in there, she should be able to get the recovery key.

That said, your school should absolutely look into something like an Azure cloud domain or an MDM solution so you can manage those, your users (and all your other poo poo) otherwise you're just asking for trouble. If this is something you might not be able to do yourself, there's places that can set up and manage that for you.

edit: Fixed because I was a grumpy goon.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 12, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I apologize for coming off grumpy in that. SH/SC would be better for this question. I think my info should help you get on the right track. They also might be able to offer any additional help or suggestions for some sort of management solution you might be able to do yourself.