Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Draxion posted:

Is he even associated with Carmella any more or is he just having matches randomly

Reginald is the most important character in the entire WWE Women's Division and it's not even really a joke at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

She's been putting up the number of minutes that an episode of raw has devoted to women wrestling and it's like in the single digits

Didn't someone recently compare times and found that one single women's match in AEW had more screen time than the entire WWE women's division got in the entire month of April combined?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Breetai posted:

The blow off to this is going to be a three-way match where they knock her out at the very beginning of the match, beat the piss out of each other for 9 minutes, and when they're both lying prone in the ring after a high spot and she finally regains consciousness she pins one of them for the title, destroying its credibility and their credibility once and for all.

Don't be STUPID.

Reginald is gonna crawl out and pin one of them for the title.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Instead of doing Kross vs either Cole or O'Reily or Dunne or Gargano in a singles match which could highlight the challengers strengths as they attempt to defeat the great beast (ie Walter's NXT UK title reign), WWE chooses overkill and puts on a Fatal Five Way match and burns through all the contenders on one show.

If anything it's proof that main event booking is seeping into NXT. It's one of the weirdest things to me about the way WWE books. They have an idea, and instead of building up to that idea they just do it immediately and then the next week they throw their hands in their like "Whelp I got nothing!"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Hoss Corncave posted:

It very much is :thejoke:. That combined with how happy he looks and how much fun he appears to be having as part of the Wingmen, plus the stories about how WWE management would tell him not to associate with the Brazillian community in Florida or do anything to help him stay in the country make me think he's definitely not going to ever turn on AEW.

Jesus Christ, that's up there with them trying to push Tay Conti to buy a house or whatever that real estate scam is they've been doing for a long time. I don't remember who it was right now but I remember hearing at least one older backstage guy talking about how Vince talked him into borrowing money from WWE to buy a house and then that basically kept him locked into working for them for a long time to "pay it off" until they ultimately laid him off anyway and left him to foot the bill.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Also the way WWE always talks up being a Family, getting the wrestlers to call HHH and Stephanie "dad" and "mom" and poo poo always comes off super culty to me. I always think back to the story of HHH talking to Gallows and Anderson and being like "You know, when I look at you guys I think about your beautiful little daughters and think...what's gonna happen to them if you go to AEW and they're out of business in a year?" to get them to re-sign, and then turned out and laid them off like 6 months later.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Is Reginald included in that count?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Intruder posted:

I hope Impact outlasts WWE now

The year is 2041, American society has collapsed. Climate change has turned what parts of the country that aren't underwater into a radioactive desert. Roving bands of supermutant raiders reign over what's left of the populace.

Somewhere, in an old warehouse full of rotting Global Force Wrestling t-shirts, James Storm and Tommy Dreamer are still wrestling.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shard posted:

Hey Tay wasn't great before AEW, neither were a lot of folks. I think we have to get on the same page that just because someone was bad at WWE doesn't mean they would be bad in AEW.

I said it before but WWE is very good at playing to people's weaknesses and making them look far worse at everything than they really are.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

eh so what if he has talked poo poo on aew. you can use that and run a monster heel program with him. he beats the poo poo out of all the aew favs until finally the underdog gets him on a major ppv. you could also humiliate him and put him in a dunking booth or something.

People said the same thing about Ivelisse and Shanna. "Oh who cares what her reputation is just book her properly and it'll work out" and look how that turned out for them.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I was thinking about some of those WWE backstage things and the reports of how some of the talent were having series self-doubt issues with how their careers are going and mixing that with WWE's booking style of putting talent in positions that make them look terrible, and then effectively blaming them for not succeeding despite that and how much they seem to internalize it.

It's a downright abusive workplace.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

It is depressing watching people getting hosed over by WWE time and time again and still being completely unable to process whose fault it is.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Minidust posted:

Braun was missing the 2nd-most important piece of the Vince puzzle which was "not having a Southern drawl"

....and yet he buried Brodie Lee for NOT having a southern drawl.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Aleister Black was on Twitch earlier today saying that wrestling reporters are all liars, they don't have any real sources, and anything they get right is purely by coincidence, so I can't blame a few of them for calling him out.

Do these wrestlers think Vince is gonna love them again if they poo poo on Dave Meltzer enough?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shard posted:

Riccochet may have bought into the cult more than anyone I've ever heard about.

Between this and the Covid Parties he was going to and being pals with the pedophile guy stuff, Ricochet's pretty well convinced me he's right where he deserves to be

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

You’d need a Bruce Tharpe but contract law. Maybe see if Andrew Yang hasn’t gotten bored of his crusade against WWE yet.

Yang's too busy torpedoing his mayoral campaign to care now

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

Like seriously, how many people have we seen get to AEW and be shocked by the concept of getting a loving cake on their birthday?

Tommy End is a beautiful man with a song in his heart and I demand you all cease your slander.

God, the story of the AEW locker room throwing Jake the Snake the first birthday party he's ever had in his life at the age of 65 is both really sweet and really depressing.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

They’re doing it in groups because they don’t have time to job everyone out all at once.

Why job them out when they can just run Cedric vs Shelton for the 19th week in a row?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Pylons posted:

That's cool but they're writers for the WWE so they'll get fired in a couple months. Probably multiple times when the person firing them doesn't get the reaction they want.

God every time I remember that story it boggles the mind. They literally want to make sure the people they fire are was crushed as possible.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

So why/how does Bayley have control over the Thunderdome?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

So WWE currently has two different storylines involving an underutilized midcard babyface stealing the headwear from a heel

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Seams posted:

lacey is well-liked backstage

So was Ruby Riott and look what that got her

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

SexMetalBarbie posted:

I get this is stating the obvious, but, the PC is a wrestling school of sorts. this guy has been paid an NXT contract for seven years to go to wrestling school.

It is absolutely insane that people can sit in the PC "training" for 7 years and still not be ready for TV while other wrestlers can show up in AEW and go from being meh to great in like 1 year.

It really begs the question of what do trainees at the PC actually DO? There can only be so many classes they can teach before they literally just run out of material, right? If you're going there for 5+ years what can they possibly be teaching you? Or do they just show up and do mindless busywork in the gym while Shawn Michaels collects a paycheck to do basically nothing?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

I thought the PC was created to just sign guys so they wouldn't go to other places and wwe could keep its monopoly on the business secure

I mean yes, but are they not even pretending to be a school at this point? What do the people they sign actually DO day to day?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Cavauro posted:

they bench and squat, do some collar and elbow tie ups, up and overs, headlock takedowns, etc. occasionally someone tells them about how they need to have the desire and stuff to try and guilt them into having morale above negative. the rest of the time is spent watching wwe and nxt to learn and be respectful and there's like 20 hours of that per week

The first 4 years of WWE School is just learning how to shake the older talents hands in the exact perfect way that doesn't result in you getting buried for life.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

It says a lot about their developmental process that some people are literally there longer than the Attitude Era existed

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

How he's so convinced that Vince understood and loved his ideas are completely beyond me at this point.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Part of me wonders if Black even wants to given how weirdly convinced he is that Vince and Bruce absolutely adore him despite literally all the evidence in the world showing neither gives a single poo poo about him.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Also gently caress those lying piece of poo poo journalists who accurately reported that I was being released

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Was gonna say The Undertaker but then I remembered he was sponsoring some Blue Lives Matter clothing line at one point.

Removing that though, the whole Last Ride series really soured Taker for me cause it really lays out how he got stuck in that pattern of desperately trying to have a great last match, deciding he can't go anymore when it doesn't work, then letting Vince convince him to try one more time, etc etc. It really makes him look like an old fool who keeps getting taken advantage of by WWE but just can't see that it's happening.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I mean it's really more the fact that he's still so certain that Vince absolutely loves all his ideas and his creativity when all that time he spent workshopping this character over the years amounted to "He's moody"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Is that worth blowing through several weeks/months of #1 contender matches though?

I mean it is very much WWE-style to have possible feuds that they just blow through immediately and then have to desperately scramble to come up with something else to do after that.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Didn't a lot of the people backstage loving despise the Tough Enough participants cause they "didn't earn it" or whatever? It makes sense that feeling translates all the way to the "Aight we fulfilled our contractual obligation to MTV by filming a season of this show, now it's time to ritualistically bury you for your debut" finales.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

And that you have to pay your dues in the WWE. Thus Undertaker stays over. And we, as an audience are excited to see what this new young wrestler, (who has already had a memorable moment), will do next. All in all, it was cool.

I mean considering where Maven's career went I don't really think they had any intention of getting him over, but that's pretty much par for the course in WWE for any newbies unless they're directly related to someone important.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

They're gonna split Piper away from Eva within 2 weeks and she'll spend about 9 straight months feuding with Nia Jax over custody of Reginald because Vince will think watching two larger women fighting over a tiny man is the funniest thing ever.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Survivor Series will be Piper vs Nia in a "My Hole on a Pole" match

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

That match really should have been it for both men but of course it wasn't.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

What is WWE's obsession with these beautiful woman gimmicks and having them proceeded by months and months of video packages?

It worked so well for Emma though! And Aleister Black!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

So basically every feud in this company right now is both challenger and champion losing constantly, getting humiliated, and then demanding rematches which inevitably result in one or both of them losing and being humiliated.

So why aren't there any stars in wrestling anymore again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

So the Elias match went like this: he got jumped before the match, and decided he was pissed and left? Why don’t wrestlers do that more often

If I was a wrestler I would simply not wrestle.