Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Was any of it funny bad? Should I watch the Fiend match for B-movie like humour value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Vince won't pass it to either one. He'll sell it to Disney or whatever

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

The Bad Bunny song that's higher up the Hot 100 right now is pretty decent. It's very similar to a lot of other similar songs with that dark glossy beat and the languid rapping, but it's easy to get into. Not what I would go out of my way to listen to but I wouldn't be annoyed if it was on.

The song that's further down the charts has really irritating drums on it, the noisy snare covers up everything in the song I'd want to hear, but Rosalia has a voice that almost makes up for it. I kind of want Bunny to buzz off so I can just hear her more.

I can't say I get him as having big star charisma or anything but his voice comes off better in studio than it did on Raw, and there's been worse Spanish language singers on the charts for sure. I definitely like the "new Trap influenced reggaeton" more than what came before. Is Booker T his worst song? Seems like it so far.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

I really enjoyed all the people jumping to WWE's defense as mailing people's belongings trash bags wasn't a hosed up move.

I'm not trying to defend WWE here, I think I'm just missing the obvious answer, but what is the alternative? Just loose in a box? Making Mickie pick the stuff up if she wants it back? Clearly the garbage bag is a bad look but I'm struggling to come up with the ideal solution.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Pylons posted:

Get some dry cleaning bags (there are enough suits backstage that you can't convince me they don't have any), hell, go down to catering and use some plastic wrap and then just put them in a box.

Plastic wrap is gonna come loose from the item during shipping, not very good protection. A dry cleaning bag seems just right, though, yeah.

Edward Mass posted:

Maybe not firing somebody during a pandemic when you're having your most profitable years ever.

also this

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Testekill posted:

Pack the box neatly and secure anything loose that could be damaged?

I mean, I'm assuming she owns some clothes they had, maybe costume stuff, that needs to be put in plastic to protect it during shipping. Maybe there wasn't any!

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

karmicknight posted:

gently caress, WWF branded duffel bags would at least look classy and let you influence the talent you just fired into thinking the door is still open for the future if they ever get hot.

This would be good. I still think the dry cleaning bag is the best obviously easily available option, and most appropriate for clothes anyway. The garbage bag, at the very best, is just lazy and thoughtless.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Vandar posted:

They're a billion dollar company who are just coming off the most profitable year in their history and this year looks be to up there too.

ANYTHING would be better than a trash bag.

And apparently it was Mark Carrano's job, former head of Talent Relations, like if it was some poor exhausted intern's job, I'd have sympathy for them just doing it efficiently and getting it over with, but of all people this guy should've been able to put some effort into it.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Blaise330 posted:

the funny part of these ~lore~ characters is that they never explain "k so why............... did you join a wrestling company?"

Because no matter how lore you are, you've still got to make money somehow, and wrestling will pay you to be spooky and hit people?

(they should say that out loud though)

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Also, The Undertaker was super simple. "This spooky guy is huge, and he doesn't feel pain, he might be dead maybe?" Every attempt to have a character like him afterwards has been overly complicated. Big guy beats everyone, feels no pain, can't be stopped. That works.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Wazzu posted:

I think you can go back and see just how terribly they booked the invasion and aftermath. The bleeding was so much the WWE's own fault.

I was listening to the Bryan and Vinny retro shows and they noticed a change in the WWE creative literally the show after Vince bought WCW. I guess that's when Stephanie got into the creative and suddenly promos got more stilted and the feel of the 'modern era' of WWE began, and so did the decline, and it's just been getting steadily worse ever since.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

I had a quick peek out of curiosity, but the only match that held my attention all the way through was the Women's MITB. The rest I skipped through. LOL at the finish of that match. Everyone just forgot about the briefcase!

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Honestly, when I see Roman, I see someone who seems likeable, and chill, and happy, and neither his babyface destroyer nor heel destroyer gimmicks make any sense for him to me. He seems more Rocky Maivia than The Rock to me. The Shield made the most sense for him because it was all about him having friends that he really likes.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

fuckin karate man level greenscreen

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Watching MITB and the men's MITB Ladder match was fun, but that Roman Reigns AR graphic is some whack rear end poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaFhMB6Hy9A

I remember trying to argue in favor of how cool this song was at the time but this video is the dog's buns, and so is AR Roman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLx11xq6X7Q

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

They want to be marvel. Vince only saw the first and last 10 minutes of Loki, which is why they debuted a superhero as a loser fuckface nerd.

God it would be so cool if a wrestler's gimmick was that they're MCU Loki

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

A few months ago some WWE suit said they literally want to be the next Disney/Marvel. That lodged in my mind like a splinter.

The MCU is a babyface centric promotion though, they have like three good pure heels maximum, you'd think he'd learn some lessons from them

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Did they? The Megapowers in the top two Face slots passed their torches to two of their best Midcarders basically right after they beat that heel, and everyone seems to be into them.

Arachnaman?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Is slapnuts a jerking off joke? Like if you're jerking off you're repeatedly slapping your nuts on the downstroke? That's the only way I can make sense of it as an insult

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Why is it a long running joke about WWE destroying knees? Is it because big guys have bad knees? Because they are doing too many bodyslams where they land on thier knees?

Wasn't there a thing once about how the way WWE tells people to work out is really bad for you

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

when the firefly funhouse was first happening it was good and funny and then the first time the fiend did an entrance it was cool and good

and then he had to be in the WWE and it was quickly ruined

guy's gonna end up in impact though

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Blaise330 posted:

Hope they dont team him up with TNA's spooky girl char. On that note, I like how each show has their own woman thats possessed by a demon or something. Mordecai would make bank exorcising all of them.

I actually might start watching Impact if Bray joins Decay

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

New vignettes start airing from the Firefly Unemployment Office

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Cavauro posted:

those people read way too much into the details of like a fake rare sonic 2 cartridge that tells you to gently caress off if you try to play it and sends you to hell. it just has to be any really simple idea to start with and feature some kind of mascot like the fiend or Manic the Hedgehog (a real character who is sonic's brother and insensitive to ppl struggling with their mental health)

then people will create a huge world of lore around it. It's cool

try falling down this fuckin rabbit hole https://weegeepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Malleo

1863 articles

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Cavauro posted:

linking me the second most famous character of the fandom? i deserve enough respect to be linked to zogen

its me who is the scrub

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Cavauro posted:

i am being a little goblin. in truth i only knew the luigi meme image, who i did not even know was not just named that luigi meme image

you clever bastard!

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Lid posted:

I can't help but feel if WWE lets Cole walk their edict is to let AEW possibly overextend through sheer weight.

If this is their actual strategy it seems like a bad one to me

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

I know TEW isn't real life, but I gotta say, the scenario I play most often is a current day real world database, where I'm creating a new promotion, and I'm slotting in just below the Impact level, about at NWA's size, and trying to grow, and when I can afford to sign popular WWE guys, that's when I'm really able to grow quickly.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don’t necessarily think AEW should sign Ric Flair but it would be funny.

He's just running around backstage interrupting interviews wooing and elbow dropping his jacket and Tony is like "We didn't sign him, we have no idea why he's here, he keeps evading security"

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

You could start the 3rd biggest wrestling company in the US with just the people WWE has released in the last 2 years.

Someone should really just buy Impact and ROH and merge them, and completely repackage them into a new promotion that has a specific and distinct identity beyond "we want to be the WWE but we have way less money" and "lucha, I guess?", respectively.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Did looking like an action figure ever matter a lot to the mainstream crowds? Those are the guys that got chances, but guys like Dusty, Jerry Lawler, there were lots of guys who got over who didn't. It seems a lot more important that you cut exciting promos, have a consistent and distinctive character, and have charisma. Looking like Brian Cage helps a bit, but it doesn't make up for lacking any of that.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

So place your bets now: Will Vince's version of NXT draw more than 500k viewers or less than 500k? And in the 18-49 demo will it be higher than .15 or lower?

I would bet there's a bit of intrigue for the first episode, and by the third episode it's under.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

The really sick thing is, WWE is apparently making more money now than they did in the Attitude Era.

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1424124117675094016

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I just really feel my giving up was predicated on losing faith that ANYONE on NXT would ever be treated not like poo poo after they were called up, so there was no point in caring about it anymore.

This is what happened to me, at some point it became clear that "see the future main roster stars today" was a complete lie and I completely lost interest, long before NXT started to actually suck.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

The gimmick is not a bad idea. It's just WWE has no clue how to book babyfaces.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Gonz posted:

Have an angle where Nikki gets exposed to extremely high levels of radiation and develops telekinesis, thus becoming an actual superhero.

She pins people with her mind and causes the ring to shake. She can also make people void their bowels, y'know, as a goof.

Nikki Brown Note.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

shiksa posted:

it really isnt! its already been done in the same company in multiple iterations, mostly involving hurricane helms.

ask shane helms's bank account if the hurricane gimmick was a bad idea

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

He must own the trademark somehow, right? He showed up in that AEW Hardy Compound match with the mask and name and everything.

I'm not able to easily confirm this, but I believe he can use the costume, symbols, and everything but the name 'The Hurricane', which I don't think was ever said out loud in a Deletion.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

sometimes I just think about the fed and lol

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nah it was cool