Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Does Dabba Kato speak in a Polish or Nigerian accent? In real life and on TV.

Coz wikipedia says he was born and raised in Poland, but he has a Nigerian mum. So he could do like Apollo does, and imitate his mothers accent. But surely that would be super difficult to do accent work in what I assume is his second language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

So if I read the RAW results correctly, Alexa Bliss is no longer with The Fiend, but is still a spoopy creepy sexy girlywoman, but now has her own doll.

So essentially she gets to keep all the bad part of the poo poo she was doing, but is now solo? Will she be doing spoopy feuds with women wrestlers now? Totally independent of the Fiend? Does she still light people on fire? Does she still have black goo powers? Will she get new spoopy powers?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Kunabomber posted:

it looked like bray wyatt is gonna become brother love

So leaning into Sweater Bray? Is he still all kiddie-show friendly, or is he leaning in a new direction?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Do you think that Franky Monet, (John Morrisson's real life wife) will interact with him on TV as a real life couple the way that Maryse Mizanin, (Miz's real life wife) interacts with him on TV as a real life couple?

Or will they keep her on NXT as a way to needlessly, pointlessly, and pettily keep apart a real life couple for WWE reasons?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

since today is going to be the most active Bo Dallas discussion day in over 2 years, let me fire off a hot take:

Bo Dallas is a better wrestler and sports entertainer than Bray Wyatt. he would have made The Firefly Funhouse and The Fiend shine like Bray never could have drat it

From a long way back, but this loving guy/gal gets it!

I always said Bo Dallas would have been a perfect friend for Bray to have in the Firefly Funhouse. Coz Bo can do gormless and creepy so well. It also would have lead up to an easy as piss feud between the brothers when they break up.

I also loved the Social Outcasts and Bo Rida.

I will always Bo-lieve.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

There has been much talk of the Fast and Furious movies, but no talk of The Rock flexing his muscles so hard that he breaks out of a cast, only to go and shoot a helicopter gun at Jason Statham and Vin Diesel fighing on a carpark.

For Shame.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I know we talk about this literally all the time, but with their roster size it would be SO EASY to rotate performers in and out. Take a big loss at WM? You're off TV for a few weeks (or maybe you're on Main Event or one of the 700 other shows no one watches) while the winner gets some shine on their own. But no, we have to run every feud back for the next PPV, like Smackdown's numbers would crater even farther without Seth Rollins or Sami.

This approach also helps with injuries. You have a niggling issue? Well we'll have you lose a feud, you can go away and rest/rehab for a month, somebody else gets a chance to get over, and you get a "welcome back" pop when you return, fit and happy and not burned out, AND with a brand new opponent. Everybody wins.

As opposed to: You're hurt? Well just do the same match that you did last week with the same person but slower and worse. That way you can injure yourself further, neither of you get over, and both of you can get mentally and physically burned out all while fans lose interest in both of you, with nobody to replace either of you, (except for the 23 talented youngsters sitting in catering.)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Is Charlotte, the referee beater-upperer, a face or a heel?

Is Asuka, the adorably dorky nerd, the heel or face?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

That can't be true. It makes sense. WWE would never do that.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Did we ever get a reason as to why it was called "a box-like structure" instead of just a box?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A question re: the WWE backstage firings. Mark Carrano et al.

Are these people Employees, or are they also Independent Contractors like the wrestlers? Do they need to give these people 2 weeks notice etc. What about Superannuation, and Insurance and all that kind of good stuff. What happens to that when they are summarily fired by WWE? Whilst I probably already know the answer, how bad are US labour laws on stuff like this?

Relatedly, I also like the "Well we fired this one guy, so the sending ex wrestlers their stuff in garbage bags will now stop." Like it was the job of one executive to say how and in what way to send back ex employeesindependent contractors personal effects. And now he is retired, whatever he was doing to personally put the stuff in garbage bags will now stop, and they will be sent first class post in a velvet lined presentation cabinet. Because even being exceptionally generous to the WWE, and it was an oversight and not a pointed act of petty meanness, it still shows a huge lack of respect that after however many years of service, they still just clear out your locker into a bag and post it to you without any sort of explanation or regard.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Am I being selfish when I say I don't want Cesaro to beat Roman and get pushed?

Instead I want him to make dad jokes and play Uno with his adorable friends on Youtube every week.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Haha yes put over another part timer surely this time that will work out in the long run

Counterpoint: Haha yes, bury this charismatic over wrestler that we have had for many years and done nothing with. surely this will work out in the long run

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

I noticed today that even though he's a heel and does lovely things, Cole must be under orders to not use any negative adjectives about him. It's always "confident", "decisive" etc. I'd bet my last dollar they will try to turn him face long before he gets beaten by anybody for that title.

Is Cole still a "heel" commentator? I don't mean "heel Cole", I mean is he the one that sides with the heels and against the faces?

Coz that could explain it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Does Spooky Alexa and her Spookier dolly have anyone to feud with yet?

Coz she has done a couple of vignettes, but I dunno if they are leading to her feuding with anyone specific yet.

Maybe Carmella? A pretty, glamourous, "diva" of a woman vs the spooky scary child. There could be shenanigans when/if Carmella steals the doll, and/or mirror weirdness as Carmella is putting on her make-up etc.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Re: Chris Hero.

Isn't he also a pretty good coach/trainer? So even if WWE didn't want to use him on camera, surely they could have found use for someone with his experience, and skills behind the camera.

Relatedly. because whilst a lot of the blame, (and rightly so), for wasting the potential and talent of the performers that WWE has goes to Vince, Dunn etc. and their insane booking, I think a lot of blame needs to go to the trainers at the Performance Centre and the day to day road producers for also taking great performers and turning them to poo poo.

If WWE would hire properly in this area, and utilize the backstage talent that they already have well, it would go a long way to addressing the dire poo poo they produce.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I remember Eva Marie going, (eitehr off her own bat or at WWE urging), to Brian Kendrick and getting extra training. Because she was so bad in the ring. And was doing the work and getting better.

I also remember people making fun of her for that, which I didn't get. I mean sure, she sucked as a wrestler, but surely one shouldn't make fun of her for trying to be better by doing extra training.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Ibexaz posted:

All this talk of Eva Marie's "avoiding wrestling" gimmick reminds me of what felt like a multiple months long stretch where Lacey Evans would just walk down and back up the ramp every episode, for seemingly no reason :psyduck:

I remember this, and in my memory her doing this was supposed to be the start of some big push for her that sort of fizzled out.

Has Lacey Evans ever been over? Either as a heel or a face? Coz I don't remember her ever getting any sort of reaction at all. Even her "look at how much of a southern belle I am making sweet tea" vignettes played to apathy at best.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

the escape goat posted:

Be Cool was huge for him because his role wasn't action-oriented and showed off his comedy chops; I recall him being incredibly well-received with that role.

Non wrestling people are always surprised when wrestlers turn out to be more than just meathead slabs of muscle.

But at heart, (I believe), to be a good professional wrestler you must be a good performer. And have a good to great sense of timing. Both of which helps as a comedian/comedic actor.

With The Rock, he was always good in the comedy stuff he would do, (I loved how he was the only one who didn't realize that Gregory Helms Ace Reporter and The Hurricane were different people). But it's also there in others. Look at Taz, a more humourless 'wrestler' one would be hard to find. But listen to him perform on commentary, he can be hilarious with great timing.

edit:

oldpainless posted:

What roles does Batista have where you say “now this is acting”

Bushwick is a great film for understated acting Batista. (Who in the GotG films also shows that he is a fine performer with superb comic timing.)

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 11, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Will Eva-Marie be Alexa and Lilly's first feud? Will Eva-Marie get a dolly of her own?

Although seriously, I would love it if whoever Alexa and Lilly feud with get's a plush animal/doll of their own. I miss Wrestler's little friends, (Moppy, Pepe, Head, Daryl etc.), and reckon they are cool.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Wrestling should be a ‘No Giants’ zone, because you should only be allowed to have one.

This is actually a thing.

WWE has diminished the status/aura of giant physically imposing wrestlers by having so many of them. When everyone is a tall muscleman, you don't stand out as much if you are just a slightly taller slightly musclier man. Thus making everyone look average/mediocre.

Wheras if WWE had showcased more smaller/average sized wrestlers, (and they have a bunch of those with talent), then when an actual tall muscly man shows up, they look more imposing and more like a monster. Thus elevating everyone, the muscle monster, and the guy fighting him.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

When Zelina Vega returns, will she be given a stable of different handsome men?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Vandar posted:

Ahahaha.

She gets a month of Nia putting her through tables and then it's off to catering.

But in catering she gets to hang out with said handsome men, yes?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Doesn't Kairi still "officially" work for WWE?

As in she still draws a paycheck for doing some sort of nebulous 'promotion' of NXT Japan?

I mean good luck to her for milking Vince and his evil corporation for as much money as she can, whilst she gets to live a happy life with her husband. But also BOO to that evil corporation for wasting some of her best years as a performer, and not giving half an ounce of care or concern when she was repeatedly injured, both maliciously and by neglect.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

re:NXT Japan. Can someone who knows more about this please tell me.

Is it likely to ever be a thing?

Coz from my very limited understanding, whilst wrestling is huge in Japan, WWE presence is minimal. So the kids that grow up with dreams of being a wrestler, don't want to be WWE superstars, and the workaday mercenary working wrestlers already have several companies with which to ply their trade that offer decent pay/exposure without a new WWE-lite product gumming up the works.

So without a super talented roster, (which as far as I know they don't have), or local TV, (which I am pretty sure they don't have and would be difficult to get), isn't NXT Japan doomed to fail, and just be a way of paying wrestlers a pittance to not work for WWE's rivals?

Again, I welcome people with more knowledge/information on me to correct me on my half arsed opinion.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Pylons posted:

It's complicated. Their best bet was to force their foot in the door by buying a relatively big Japanese promotion - they've tried to buy NOAH, but NOAH merged with DDT's parent company, Cyberfight, they tried to buy AJPW but Jun Akiyama wasn't able to travel to the US to take the guest coaching job at the PC (and Akiyama has since joined DDT), they tried to buy STARDOM, but STARDOM got bought by Bushiroad (I believe Ross Ogawa made the choice to sell to Bushi rather than WWE?). They have an in with Sendai Girls through Meiko Satomura and thats a good start but they'd need more of a roster.

MJeff posted:

They tried to buy a promotion to build NXT Japan with and all of them pretty much immediately responded by selling to CyberFight or Bushiroad instead, so, prospects aren't looking good.

So from what you are saying, the WWE wanted to buy a promotion wholesale and the re-brand it as their own, rather than actually recruiting talent/backstage staff etc, and making a promotion from the ground up.

Did they ever try headhunting people from the established promotions? Both talent and backstage people.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A reminder that THIS is the Batista movie WWE chose to promote, and THIS is the way they go about promoting it.

As opposed to Guardians of the Galaxy,which they ignored and thought he would be begging to come back after.

Will Miz have to sell being bitten by zombies? Please give me zombmiz for at least one Raw.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If they turn Miz and Morrison into zombies and have someone try to cure them I’d probably watch the YouTube recaps.

This is a job for the Fashion Police!

Seriously, I would watch the gently caress out of vignettes where Tyler Breeze and Fandango confusedly try to "cure" Miz and Morrisson of zombieness. Perhaps making friends along the way, perhaps setting up for a mildly entertaining midcard tag team match.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

Lumberjack Match: Damian Priest defeated John Morrison (12:07)
https://streamable.com/bh5b5k

John Morrisson looks like he is at least having fun getting to be silly and hang out with his friend Mike. Good for him.

Now his wife works there too.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I'll eat your lunch

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Cavauro posted:

no one knows who her husband is

Considering the stuff that they have done with real life couples, (Rusev and Lana being one particularly egregious recent example), WWE were actually kinda respectful in keeping Mr and Mrs La Sombra's relationship private.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Silly questions.

But do they wish refs "the best in all future endeavours" when they get fired? Did Drake get fired so bad/nastily that the racist fascist that he is didn't even get that, (like TJP)?

What about the others? Were they liked/respected enough to get the "future endeavours" line?

Also, when Drake gets his poo poo posted to him in a garbage bag, will that be an issue?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Apropos of nothing, I just want to say that Adam Cole is adorable, and I want to give him a hug.

May he never be ruined by being called up to "the big leagues".

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

His character work was good and I'm still of the hope that we eventually get a guy whose gimmick is essentially "Prince , but a wrestler " who is the complete package as a wrestler (also, preferably not a monstrous human being).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A silly question apropos of nearly nothing:

How many non-Christian wrestlers has the WWE had/have?

Goldberg, and Paul Heyman being the obvious Jewish ones. (with Colt Cabana also being technically there.) Khali was probably an observant Hindu, I would assume. Have there been any muslim wrestlers? Any Buddhists?

The reason I ask is because one of the stories about Drake the racist fascist fundie, was that he got lovely at some Performance Centre anti-discrimination speech when management said that they would not discriminate on the basis of "religion" specifically.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

How is the "oo" in Rick Boogs pronounced?

Does it rhyme with Food, or Book?

This is important to my understanding of his character.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Hoss Corncave posted:

They obviously had to pay all those zombies. The outside non-wrestlers are always far more important than the wrestlers.

An outside non-wrestler that gets stiffed onm a paycheck would complain. Loudly and publicly.

A WWE wrestler doesn't get paid, they call HHH to thank him personally for being able to help the corporation make bigger profits.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Sigma posted:

I love how no one looks happy in that Xpac vid

This is a huge thing. WWE seems unable to show their wrestlers just having fun.

Coz the conceipt of stuff like that is "wrestlers watching their friends wrestle and chil". Which should be the easiest thing to do/film. But in the WWE universe, it becomes a joyless, bloodless, warmth-less lame slog.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lid posted:

May i offer you an EVIL in this trying time?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

But would WWE have any interest in bringing him, (EVIL), over to America? If only to keep his fiancee, (Io Shirai), happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

DeepDickPizza posted:

This is my question. Even overlooking how poorly the actual match was booked, what the hell was the point of booking a "beat the clock" match? Usually they're done with multiple matches for #1 contendership or something. There just seems to be no upside for anyone involved in this stipulation.

The point is, Nikki Cross proved herself a loser, (by getting her head kicked in by Rhea), just not as much of a loser as both Charlotte and Rhea expected.

But more importantly, Rhea proved herself to be a loser by kicking the arse of an opponent she was clearly better than, and then losing on a technicality.

I suppose the actual character reason is Rhea was hoist on her own petard by her own arrogance, (i.e. she would have easily won in a match, but by being arrogant she got the L)

I guess the point is: we as an audience aren't supposed to care about Nikki. She is just the prop. So after getting her arse kicked, she celebrates her "win", which makes Rhea feel bad. Which is the important point. Not the match, nor one of the contestants in the match. But a half-arsed bit of character work that wastes one of the wrestlers involved.