Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

So the opening to this until we cut back to the arena has identical production values to a Series 3 episode of Red Dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I think there is a place for a character analogous to a "magical girl" type in western wrestling, you'd just have to be really careful about how you pitch it to avoid it seeming, not to be blunt, weird and creepy.

For some reason where my mind lands is with a sort of Anne Of Green Gables / Pippi Longstocking character. Pure heart, lots of moxie and gumption, kind of easily tricked by people.

I might have just reinvented NXT Bayley.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

when did Jay White join Cameo?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

KUSHIDA looks dead inside

He's making money for his family. He's done his art, now he's doing his work.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Barry Bluejeans posted:

imagine four hunters on the edge of a cliff

Time works the same WWE

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Honestly if I were a wrestler unless a company was actively dangerous to myself and others I'd say very little negative about people who I might one day have to work with again.

The problem is that WWE is actively dangerous to its talent.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

BGrifter posted:

It’s kinda crazy that Batista ended up being a bigger star outside of wrestling than Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Weirdly in his case I think it helps him that he was only ever a big star in wrestling rather than a megastar. I know a lot of people who love Dave Bautista and neither know nor care anything about wrestling, who might have been put off by him if he was just The Wrestling Guy.

It also helps that he is genuinely a very good actor and seems committed to working on his craft.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, that sounds right. Cena has started having some mainstream acting success but I suspect he was held back a little at first by being so strongly associated with WWE.

And in both cases having James Gunn in their corner to let them successfully be really funny has helped.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the fact that The Rock played a gay cowboy singer/actor in an Elmore Leonard film with John Travolta and Uma Thurman is always going to weird me out. He does a cover of "You Ain't Woman Enough To Steal My Man".

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

beggar posted:

I don't think this is the case. I'd argue the expendables is comparable to guardians, and Stone Cold has plenty of Stubers in his filmography. I don't see Batista with multiple cable TV shows in syndication, on commercials selling me tide pods with Ice-T.

Guardians Of The Galaxy by itself had a comparable box office to the entire Expendables trilogy. And that's the highest profile project Austin has done as an actor. While Stone Cold has plenty of Stubers in his filmography he doesn't have a Dune.

(and honestly he doesn't have that many Stubers either. Pretty much every Austin vehicle where he's had a leading role has been straight to video)

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 16, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I was promised nxt cuts when are they

every one and a half seconds, and abrupt enough to cause significant nausea.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

It just looks so bizarre. Almost makes me want to watch a Fast movie to see how weird they are, a thing I've never done.

Fast Five is a genuinely fun and silly heist movie that requires essentially no knowledge of the series to work. There's a scene where they rob a safe from a police station and drive down a street dragging it behind their cars, it's loving idiotic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm enjoying the fact that people in this thread are talking about literally anything else rather than WWE.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

BGrifter posted:

I’m the sicko who likes Tokyo Drift best. Probably the dumbest Fast and the Furious movie.

Tokyo Drift also has the most blatantly homoerotic line in the whole franchise, and that's a crowded field

"I didn't know he was into American muscle."

"He was when he was rollin' with me."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Barry Bluejeans posted:

He's been trying for years to land a role as Black Adam (and it's paid off, movie's slated to come out in summer 2022), presumably so much so that he's rebuffed any offers Disney may have made in that vein

e;f,b

If it weren't for the fact that the rights sit with Sony, I think, and the fact that Aquaman already stole its thunder, The Rock would be an absolutely perfect Namor.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Birds of Prey was decent.

I really liked Birds Of Prey. Largely because of how absolutely and absurdly extra Chris Messina and Ewan MacGregor were.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

Now I'm imagining Vin Diesel sending the script back for rewriting because that ending doesn't work for him, brother.

I'm entirely certain this happened.

kitten emergency posted:

i remember reading an article in variety i think a year or two back about how rock or vin or someone actually has a rep watching each fight scene and literally counting how much offense he gets in vs. the other dude and if it gets unbalanced then they force them to reshoot so he can go over

it's very much a "have to look strong even in a loss thing"

Reminds me of the 1974 film of The Towering Inferno, where both Steve McQueen and Paul Newman had a clause in their contract guaranteeing them top billing in the film.

So how the producers got round this was to have their names appear on the same card in the titles sequence, arranged diagonally with McQueen's name bottom left and Newman's name top right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This just reminds me of what an absolutely great show Beyond Americanrana 2019 was. (maybe stop before the last match which has an absolute loving creep in it)

quote:

1) Leyla Hirsch vs. DL Hurst

2) Alex Reynolds vs. John Silver

3) EYFBO (Santana and Ortiz) vs. Bear Country (Bear Beefcake & Bear Bronson)

4) Chuck O'Neil vs. Wheeler YUTA

5) Cheeseburger (c) vs. Kenn Doane (w/Cam Zagami & Christian Casanova) vs. Kikutaro vs. Swoggle vs. Johnny Cockstrong vs. Solo Darling vs. Anthony Greene (w/Angel Sinclair & Ava Everett) vs. Marko Stunt vs. Puf vs. Alex Zayne

6) John Morrison vs. Josh Briggs

7) The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) vs. The Butcher And The Blade (Andy Williams & Pepper Parks)

8) Orange Cassidy (c) vs. RD Evans

9) Bryan Alvarez & Tom Lawlor vs. Nerder Death Kill (Nick Gage & Thomas Santell)

10) Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Chris Dickinson

11) Kimber Lee vs. Kris Statlander

12) Joey Janela vs. David Starr

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gavok posted:

He'd be a better Namor.

Then again, Namor is just Black Adam with Aquaman's gimmick.

And the mutant power of "sleeping with Reed Richards' wife"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

flatluigi posted:

they literally renamed the next ppv to Wrestlemania Backlash, it's all just repeating the wrestlemania stuff

gently caress it, go whole hog and have 12-14 Wrestlemanias a year. Just bolt the name onto the front of everything.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Maybe Ricochet will finally get his own series in the WWECU :unsmith:

It will be a cooking show. He won't even have to go to a new location.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the dumb idiot fucker show

depending on the parsing of that statement I doubt anyone could get it on TV. Probably depends how explicit they were with him loving the dumb idiots.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OK, I'll bite, what the gently caress is "music"?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1384598312045539334

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

NXT: 841k, 0.23 in 18-49, ranked 27th.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

At least we can be pretty sure he got his vaccinations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Well, I'm just glad they got rid of the one awful guy in the company and now Talent Relations is run by the dynamic dude who once told AJ Lee "Our male fans want to hang out and play video games with you. But no one wants to have sex with you. Do you see how that’s a problem for us?"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Watching the start of that video just made me think the director had seen a lot of PAC's AEW video spots but not got the point.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

njsykora posted:

Yeah PAC's videos were shot with him looking dirty as gently caress under a bridge so they fit his character.

I was thinking more of his return video. https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1324176954573131776

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Took a shot at this:

https://streamable.com/u8wqsx

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lid posted:

Well that was perfect

Aleister Black standing outside of Velveteem Dream's locker room and Ricochet walks up

"You and he were... buddies, weren't you?"

Aleister talking about Zelina Vega: "She was like a candle in the wind. Unreliable."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

You need to be much cooler to pull those glasses off

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Miching Mallecho posted:

Butcher being a Nine Inch Nails fan makes me like him even more.:kiddo:

If I remember correctly Every Time I Die have gigged with them before now.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah but he really hates Every Time I Die.

I hate every time you die too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The sheer speed with which Matt Stryker jumped on the opportunity to make Morrissey puns was halfway between admirable and embarrassing.

Wasn't there an episode of RAW at some point where he referenced, like, ten Smiths songs across two hours? The only one I remember is him saying that William Regal was from "The coastal town that they forgot to close down"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Look that's just silly, we all know Tony Nese got fired a couple of years ago

He went on to be a big name in North Carolina breakfast foods

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The way in which WWE is bad is industrially interesting, at least. It's a good example of what happens to entertainment in capitalism at the point where the reward for a creative venture is largely or utterly divorced from what people thought of that creative venture. Vince McMahon, a man who has lost most of his creative skills but retained all of his creative twitchiness, is constantly rewriting a show to less and less response when it would receive about the same rating and he would get about the same amount of money no matter what he did.

A podcast I listen to once described the endstage of Hollywood as being one movie that takes a week to watch and features all the characters owned by the studio. The endstage of WWE is three hours of constant robotic noise where none of the matches start or finish, it's just things happening as the bright lights flash on and off.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

He got Drake Older but he never got Drake Wiser.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

mooseinfants posted:

When does Hatsune Miku perform at Wrestlemania

Won the title in the main event in 2004.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CobiWann posted:

So AEW is New Vegas. Got it.

The truth is, the match was rigged from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

One of the many frustrations with the way WWE is put together is how hard they make things for themselves. And one of those ways is how much they second guess the writers and switch things round. I've heard countless stories of Vince tearing up runsheets for shows while they were live on TV, and the only thing that reliably produces is stomach ulcers.

I've obviously never written a wrestling show, but from watching them it seems obvious that the big advantage a booker has is that they can script by segment rather than by second. If you tell Randy Orton and Shelton Benjamin "12 minute singles match, Randy goes over after Cedric's interference backfires" they'll work out the details. This SHOULD mean that if you've got good talent and you keep it simple you should have a good - or at least watchable - show. But by writing then rewriting then overwriting they end up with these terrible micromanaged confections that are moment to moment overbooked and hour to hour absolutely nonsensical.

And it doesn't have to be this way. At all.