Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Vandar posted:

I mean, to be quite frank, the rest of the Raw women's division ARE a bunch of chumps.

Alexa's caught up in the Fiend story, Becky is out with the baby, Lacey is pregnant, Charlotte isn't pregnant (honestly I have no doubt there was a plan there to have Charlotte go up against Asuka and take the belt until the non-pregnant stuff and the Andrade stuff happened). Who does that leave?

Dana, Mandy, Peyton, and Lana are all losers. Mickie can't event get a spot on Main Event, Nikki might as well not even exist, and Naomi is being punished for being over and popular.

I'm not trying to say the Asuka/Rhea match was good. I'm not even trying to defend the lovely build to it. I'm just saying...at least Rhea has been treated like a legit threat at times in the past (at least when Charlotte's not involved), and at least she's known as a former NXT champion which usually carries a great deal of weight with it. If Asuka had kept the belt tonight, she would most certainly be continued to be booked badly and end up dropping to Charlotte whenever she comes back. At least Rhea getting the title is something different for once. :shrug:

Though, I honestly don't even know why I'm so worked up about this lol. The WWE is poo poo and we all know it. At the very least, Rhea getting the belt will get us some new matchups we haven't seen yet, I'd hope.

Best women's roster in the world, separated into 4 subpar rosters with only one of them (NXT) being somewhat decent. I know people poo poo on AEW women's division, but AEW is currently doing a better job than Raw, Smackdown, or NXT UK individually.

The only real faces that could fight Rhea are Becky or Charlotte at this point, because they haven't completely ruined them like the rest of the roster. On the flip side, the only heels left to have faced Asuka would have been... literally nobody. I know they are not against taking the tag champs and having them face the Raw champ, but maybe Shayna would have been Asuka's next credibly opponen.

Likely scenario is that they do what they did with Carmella returning and quickly try to build someone up for MITB. Like Peyton or Nikki Cross. But who am I kidding, they'll probably bring Chalotte or Becky back tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pinche Rudo posted:

Someone please get the clip of Sheamus brogue kicking riddle square in the face

https://streamable.com/31k4sy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rarity posted:

Viewer discretion is advised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELcJaJy7fjY

Note: this was also the big reveal for Cody's horrible neck tattoo

Brutality is still worse than that

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kunabomber posted:

AFAIK wreddit loves the poo poo out of the fiend, thinks it's innovative

PSP loved the poo poo out of The Fiend after his SummerSlam 2019 match with Balor. Then a lot of people bailed when the next thing they did was announced he would be facing Rollins at HIAC for the title for no reason in particular. Then he lost everyone due to the match itself

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The Raw after Wrestlemania where anything can happen.

What did we get?

Viking Raiders return.
Charlotte return (wasn't she only gone a month?)

uh, that's it? I guess they are not doing any NXT call ups this year to surprise us

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Benne posted:

Maybe actually do something with the 6,000 people already on the main roster instead of just calling up more randos to do nothing

The Raw and SD women's division could actually use more people, and NXT could use less. But then they sent Ember and Martinez back to NXT, so what the gently caress do I know

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

STAC Goat posted:

I actually like those segments. Its so rare that WWE books their title pictures as competitive fields. In theory I like the idea of the champ coming out fresh off a victory and having a bunch of people some looking for a shot at the belt. Most of the time WWE title pictures are just a line you wait on until the guy in front is done.

Although didn't Drew lose clean? He shouldn't be one of them. gently caress off.

Except this is a regular thing that they do. And when the people in the #1 contender match lose they just gently caress off and do something else, immediately forgetting about the title.

Like what are Orton or Braun going to do for the next month? Just out of feuds that don’t seem to be continuing. Will they continue to be a threat for the title? Probably not. We will get a month build to a rematch.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Digital Jedi posted:

Did they ever really push it last night NXT is on Tuesday?

It's one of those thing where if you watch Raw there is like one 30 second promo that ends with them saying 'on a new night' o something, so blink and you'll miss it. You'd think they would advertise the gently caress out of new day, but nah, gotta cram in more of those Get Vaccinated PSAs.

I only recall them mentioning the new Tuesday time one or twice during the two night Takeover.

DarkstarIV posted:

Triple H is fiercely denying her being called up, and she's all over the advertising for the move to Tuesday, as well as pushing it on social media, so it doesn't seem likely. But at the same time he was fiercely denying Io being called up, WWE had published a video on YouTube of her seemingly getting the traditional sendoff.

I feel like every major woman that leaves NXT gets Triple H giving them flowers.... no flowers, no sendoff.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 13, 2021

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I thought house shows were bad because the wrestlers break their knees for crowds of 1,500?

For as little interest that I have in AEW Dark due to the length and how so much means nothing, it is at least giving the wrestlers in ring experience without the back breaking schedule of house shows.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I assume that like last year, NXT cuts will becoming in a week?

C&P from a reddit thread, but this seems to be the list so far....

quote:

Samoa Joe (Last appearance: WrestleMania 37 commentary)
Billie Kay (Last appearance: WrestleMania 37)
Peyton Royce (Last appearance: March 22, 2021 Raw)
Mickie James (Last appearance: NXT TakeOver Stand & Deliver pre-show)
Chelsea Green (Last appearance: Nov. 13, 2020 SmackDown -- injured)
Tucker (Last appearance: March 29, 2021 Raw)
Kalisto (Last appearance: April 9, 2021 SmackDown before WrestleMania)
Wesley Blake (Last appearance: Dec. 11, 2020 SmackDown)
Bo Dallas (Last appearance: Oct. 31, 2019 Crown Jewel)

You have to be JOKING ME If AEW doesn't pick up Peyton and Billie...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

D.N. Nation posted:

my favorite part of this will always be Billie asking "you go to journalism?" and not adding "school." IIRC, she did it in a few of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy5rz1cft5w

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just saw on Twitter that Clarence Berry and Brennan Brown have both been released from NXT

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cavauro posted:

He Has The André the Giant Memorial Battle Royal Trophy

He doesn't have the trophy. His name is just etched on it for all of time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BGrifter posted:

Have they removed Big Show and Matt Hardy from the trophy yet?

So 3 of the 7 winners of the catering battle royal have been released from the company? I'd think there would be more

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sort of, I mean a CEO can justify current expenses as being necessary for longer term profits if the shareholders can be persuaded. Netflix has a lot of debts because it rolls over profits into production because it needs to in order to retain subscribers/drive new ones, I don't think Uber is profitable yet, etc.

The "Harvard school" approach- that you are obligated to your shareholders and only your shareholders- is not necessarily mandatory but it is the way most businesses work today.

There is a difference between a company taking on debt for expansion and growing your business so you can have bigger future gains when you stop expanding.

It’s another to pay someone to sit in catering so the other company can’t have them. That doesn’t grow their profits in any notable way because all of the profits are B2B now.

Anyway... it makes me wonder when they’ll pull the plug on the Performance Center when they realize it’s technically not profitable. The PC is just churning out people that sit in catering for 7 years before they are fired. When is the last time they had a completely home grown talent to justify the cost of that monstrosity? Strowman?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Had to watch the 2020 future endeavors video to remind myself of the releases that trickled in over the days after April 15th.

https://youtu.be/ie0HN6nEh1A

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cavauro posted:

how do yu get the money back out

Sell it to a fellow goon, obviously

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
“ She did mention how he mentioned they may use her in the future, saying she was told ‘WWE’s a revolving door”. She cited Jinder Mahal being released, then being brought back and becoming WWE Champion.”

Lol.... yeah, that will happen. Look at Jinder Mahal for inspiration

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blunt posted:

When the network deal is up for renewal in 5 years Comcast will buy the whole company. Two years and one scandal later they'll cancel Raw and just mothball WWE.

A limited selection of past PPVs will be licenced to *spins wheel* the Roku channel.

This is how I honestly seeing things end.

That family is stupid enough to sell their empire for a couple bucks.

TV Zombie posted:

I’m sure that wwe will try to put another show on Wednesday to stem AEW ratings.

They could put Main Event on Wednesdays and I’m sure 300,000 50+ would easily watch it weekly.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TV Zombie posted:

Since Peacock is affiliated with NBC, I dare to wonder what's on NBC on Wednesday nights as unrealistic as that would be.

A solid block of Chicago Med/Fire/PD that gets the same .5 Demo as SD but far more viewers, so probably a higher ad buy.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Minidust posted:

Meanwhile a WWE clip may feature an actual living breathing rapist performer onscreen, that's an entirely different type of liability that would not be worth the headache for most companies, even ones with a history of editing things for image reasons.

Convictions, sure... but accusations? Eh, that's a tough one.

I feel like companies only care about accusations when there the public is quite vocal about it. And quite frankly, nobody cares about pro wrestling.

Like Austin pleaded guilty to domestic abuse, has a lot of allegations about being racist, but he's got a show on Peacock.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Accusations from Austin's first wife and 2004 girlfriend. That's all I've ever heard about it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have not watched the Thunderdome Era of WWE closely... but have we ever gotten a wrestler trolling another wrestler by being on the screens in the background?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If there is one wrestling trope I'd gladly never see again, it's wrestlers getting huge fines. Might as well make one hundred billion dollars.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

$100,000 was what they fined Lars for doing racism

I still find that hilarious that they fined him, then released him. Like I hope the dude was stupid enough to pay it and then get released. What were they going to do if he didn't pay it? Sue him?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blaise330 posted:

They literally had Kane with a movie contract and didn't make a Kane movie. They just made a movie WITH Kane. Don't get why they never tried to make a movie with their intellectual properties SNL style. They always take a gimmicked wrestler and go "k... you're a cop/detective now... or an army man... or something"

I think that if you take the potential movie audience, and limit it to people interested in pro wrestling, and then limit it again to people interested in Kane... you're really limiting your audience. Horror movies are generally low budget and do well with people that like horror movies and watch almost anything

Those last few SNL movies also did horribly. They've only made 2 in the last 21 years. Pointing toward the SNL model is not exactly a reason to green light a Fashion Police movie or something

McGruber (2010) cost 10M and made 9.2M worldwide box office.
Ladies Man (2000) cost 24M and made 13M

flatluigi posted:

they should've just kept bray in his original gimmick and let him be a manager/tag team dude with a rotating set of minions that he leaned on for the heavy lifting in the ring, but that would've required wwe liking managers, stables, and tag teams

all swamp cult leader bray needed was to not always get chumped out

Seriously. Give that man some minions, treat it like the Ministry of Darkness

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Maybe it was a scented trash bag and they wanted her gear to smell great

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Invalid Validation posted:

But did they say how thrilled they were about cancelation numbers immediately after, Vince?

The thing is that you can't really cancel Peacock. If you unsubscribe to a paid tier you are stuck with a free account, which boosts those numbers

Seriously, try to figure out how to delete your account.

I found this page that directs you to another page, which doesn't tell you how to do it.

https://www.peacocktv.com/help/article/how-do-i-delete-my-account

When I tried to delete my free account shortly after it launched I could not figure out how to do it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
We know who was responsible.

https://twitter.com/MooseStaley/status/1385406210300518404?s=20

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gumball Gumption posted:

The trash bags are incredibly insulting in a company and industry that has had huge meltdowns about shaking hands correctly.

I mean... this is ultimately why it's such a problem. It's not like they worked some independent show at a high school gym, left their gear, and the promoter sent it back.

Like, put it in one of the dozens of drawstring bags that they sell, put a little note in there thanking them for being with the company. Take a few more days to package it up if necessary.

People notice this stuff. At my job we one time received a hard drive from a client that someone dropped off by putting it in an old laundry bag, and we still make fun of it to this day before it was so odd to receive their hard drive in a laundry bag of all things.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pylons posted:

Either someone hosed up or they just don't care to set this up organically.

Edit: They just officially announced it, so the latter.

I mean... I have stopped watching the weekly shows so I don't really care how they get to the match on the PPV

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Shard posted:

That whole property of poo poo is so gross. Like they don't even hide it anymore. You are told right from the start that they own you and you should be greatful for it.

I get what you mean, but the “property of” shirts originated because in the 1930s USC football players were literally stealing the workout t-shirts because they liked them, so the school put “property of” on them to deter theft because it was the shirt that belonged to the school, not the person. Then it sort of took off as a sports team thing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Benne posted:

If Miz was any good he'd be getting offers for real movies and not slumming it in the union-busting WWE Studios (which I'm still convinced is a money-laundering front). Nobody outside that bubble thinks he's worth a poo poo.

Speaking of WWE Studios... my kid right now is watching this Netflix movie called “The Main Event”. It’s horrible in so many ways. But it just showcases how WWE thinks their fans act. From using branded terms, the kid having a room filled with WWE merch, and kids at lunch time being excited about watching Raw and who is going to win the big tag match.

That said, so far my favorite part is that Keith Lee plays a wrestler called a Smooth Operator, which is basically Keith Lee but he sings. There is another scene where the kids are talking and saying “what do you think the big announcement is going to be on Raw tonight?” And another kid says “I hope that they’re getting a new director” and then complains about the camera angles.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SonicRulez posted:

Wait, Candice and Indi are going for the tag titles again? Didn't they lose at Takeover? Are there not other teams to challenge?

If you base it off the last tournament when they had to scrounge up 8 teams....

Champions:
Ember Moon and Shotzi Blackheart

Contenders:
Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell
Kacy Catanzaro and Kayden Carter - Feuding with other people
Dakota Kai and Raquel González - Raquel is the Women's Champion
Mercedes Martinez and Toni Storm - Feuding with other people and in NXT UK.

Random Jobber Teams:
Cora Jade and Gigi Dolin
Marina Shafir and Zoey Stark
Aliyah and Jessi Kamea

So all you got left is... The Way

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1386840595134656512

I say this a lot but it really can't be overstated how painfully uncool this company is

And you know that Fox and NBC Universal are going to see this and in another 3 years or whatever go "Give them 1.2 Billion, this is the quality content we are looking for!"

I've been watching wrestling for 24 years now. Raw is definitely to the point where the entire show is unwatchable. A couple years ago there would be episodes that had good matches or segments that at least made it worth setting record on your DVR. Now it's just all garbage top to bottom. We're coming off Wrestlemania and I can't think of one thing on any weekly WWE show worth watching. It's just all loving awful from top to bottom.

The only thing that keeps me watching are the cheap PPVs that are somewhat decent, and that they still employ some wrestlers I like. But I feel like my interest is finally going to be killed as those people leave and get phased out for this current crop of bland performance center graduates that have absolutely nothing going for them because I have no memories of them doing anything great. Now I can't even fall back on "Remember that one great match they had at Takeover" because those suffering too

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

Like the only good part of WWE right now is NXT and that's simply because their women's division is incredibly strong, even if the top two champs right now for the men and women are weak as gently caress.

The women's division is still garbage. 59 women employed across the 4 brands, and we're still in a situation where there is a lack of challengers for each of the 6 titles for the 8 champions.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

explosivo posted:

I think having a fake crowd that loves whatever they do has really expedited things. Can't wait to see them trying this same poo poo on the road.

I think you are underestimating that the people willing to pay money to go to a Raw or Smackdown are people that actually enjoy the product. Look at Wresetlemania.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, but Mania has got a kind of a mythos around it that regular TV episodes don't. IIRC they had shows pre-pandemic where they had to tarp off most of the seats.

No one is going to these shows to intentionally have a bad time. If you're paying $500 a seat for the front row of Raw, you're doing so to see your favorite WWE Superstars™ throw tomatoes at Miz because that's the type of content you enjoy.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm surprised they have not turned Main Event into a brand with it's own set of titles.

Invalid Validation posted:

Why haven’t they starting doing their weekly live COVID rally’s? I’m sure Florida gives no fucks about them having a live audience.

You don't realize how profitable it is to do the same show from the same arena.

Anyway... I do a lot of focus group stuff, and I got into some Peacock test thing where you get to try new features before the public. I'll let you know if they ever add pause and rewind to live events.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris James 2 posted:

Per Cagematch https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=11207&page=4

Apollo will have had 13 matches in 2021 as of Friday night

4 didn't involve Big E at all
Once, he teamed with Big E
7 times he fought Big E with the IC title on the line, 6 times it was a singles match

And Apollo just came from Raw where he had 16 matches in a row against The Hurt Business from June to October 2020, which was preceded by 3 months where he only faced off against Andrade and Angel Garza.

Like... wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kunabomber posted:

Yeah when I started watching matches with my 6 year old, she demanded to see female wrestlers. No interest in the men whatsoever. So we just watch AEW. WWE is literally burning bridges with a huge future demographic because of a dying man's oatmeal brain.

My 6yo daughter will only want to watch the girls as well, but bedtime is 8pm so it's not like she's staying up until 11pm on a school night.

Since when has anyone gotten 15 minutes to talk at the HOF ceremony that wasn't THE main inductee?

It's funny that people in the HOF thread that night was like "What a perfect speech Molly, short and sweet and out of there before we get tired of you!"

I mean, the whole show was taped, I'm surprised they didn't let her go for 15 and then cut it down to 3 minutes.