Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

flatluigi posted:

wrestlemania

Not really sure how this is supposed to represent "Then. Now. Forever." but I guess the WWE has access to better marketing minds than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

NowonSA posted:

I don't mind Roman winning so someone who isn't on retirement's door can beat him at Summerslam, Rumble, or the next WM. If Rock's crazy enough to do another match then having Roman keep the title and having that match at WM is worthwhile too.

1. I would simply not book a main event around people on the verge of retirement if I did not want to prominently feature people on the verge of retirement in my title scene
2. I think they could have found a way to get the belt back onto Roman before January or April 2022. They even did a triple threat so he didn't have to get pinned and lose his HEAT

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

yea ok posted:

southland tales is better than anything big dave has done

Using Southland Tales as a measuring stick for film quality is the same thing as using Endgame as a measuring stick for box office success. It’s just never going to be a fair comparison

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

D.N. Nation posted:

Summerslam 2020: The Fiend d. Braun Strowman for the belt Real plodding falls-count-anywhere big guy match only notable for Roman showing up after. Also, why did they change the title here? Weird.

I believe this is when they decided that, after The Fiend...killed Braun in a swamp, maybe?? that the evil supernatural borderline-murderous force was the face and Braun was the heel. So they put the belt on The Fiend to give Roman extra HEAT

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The last time Bryan re-signed was before another major domestic company existed, less than six months after he was finally cleared to return to work for the only big game in America, and at a point in time when he was three years younger and not in the same position to think about how he wanted to wind down his career. Roll your eyes if he re-signs again but I dunno why there would be so much animus toward the guy for what he did under meaningfully different circumstances

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"Here's some trash bags, clean out everyone's lockers and mail them their poo poo"

(One week later)

"Sorry kid, we gotta let you go"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Maria said this happened to her too last year. Crazy how this just went on with only one person's knowledge for so long; glad that person has been held accountable for the only bad thing about getting unceremoniously fired from WWE

edit: Gail Kim said it was standard procedure when she was there, lol

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 23, 2021

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/JonAlba/status/1385410269288017922

Maybe they were already letting people go and thought they had an opportunity to score PR points

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Say what you will about WWE booking, but at least they semi-regularly provide a platform for Shotzi Blackheart to just throw her body into poo poo

Also Leon Ruff rules and I'm glad he's getting stuff to do beyond the initial Gargano-Priest story

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dango Bango posted:

All I've seen of Shotzi is her taking stupid bumps for no reason.

This is the purest, most beautiful form of wrestling, my friend

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The gulf between what I envisioned when I saw WWE had trademarked “Hit Row Records” and the actual quality of this segment is gigantic. Glad to see Swerve find his footing

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BrigadierSensible posted:

A reminder that THIS is the Batista movie WWE chose to promote, and THIS is the way they go about promoting it.

As opposed to Guardians of the Galaxy,which they ignored and thought he would be begging to come back after.

Now I’m thinking about all the potential for a Voight-Kampff Test match with WWE Universe dialog. Missed opportunity!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

explosivo posted:

Is Roman's "ACKNOWLEDGE ME" titantron supposed to make him look like a big attention starved baby?

I'm a big fan of when this thread veers into stuff like "Uh, do they realize they gave the heel a character trait that makes him look bad????"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bummer, but I feel like it’s way harder to be judgy about people with visa/residency hurdles. Hopefully he’s a “finds a stable niche in NXT” guy and not a “banished to 205 Live basically instantly” guy

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I wonder how much of my problem with Karrion Kross would be eliminated if he had an upper lip. It's definitely not all of it but I have a hunch it would have a bigger-than-expected impact

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bad Bunny doesn’t count because it was a cool guy entering the WWE Vortex and elevating it to his level. They opened the match with the Miz and Morrison rap while a dozen people in bunny costumes jumped around the ring; salvaging that is a credit to Bad Bunny and no one else

Bianca/Sasha was a cool match on the heels of a very uncool build, which is just another piece of evidence that WWE would turn out way more good stuff if they got out of the way of their very talented performers

The Hit Row debut segment was straight-up cool for wrestling, not even grading on a WWE curve. NXT still has a lot of potential if they can break out of the Triple H dream booking rut and crack the challenge of keeping the NXT lifers fresh (they figured it out with Gargano!). Take advantage of the opportunities for variety your Vince-free platform provides you, get some more dynamic characters in the mix

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Quantum of Phallus posted:

for sale: aleister black, never pushed

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hearing that Joe WhattaDay is being released as well. Very sad

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I usually think people are too hard on talent given the rotten system in place at WWF, but drat, it's remarkable how deep the brain rot can be for even the most mistreated talent. My months of non-use and stop-start pushes were just an unfortunate series of events, all the decision-makers there really liked me, they were totally going to let me go to NXT they just wanted me to do this one thing first,

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Ganso Bomb posted:

I like the name Aleister Black more than I like Tommy End. Am I the only one?

Now that you mention it, it does feel kind of like a reverse indie -> NXT name conversion

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

DLC Inc posted:

you'd think maybe, just maybe, getting rid of beloved backstage workers would wake up some of the dumb fucks that still work there, but nah. Least of all Bayley who apparently doesn't even think driving herself to every loving event was ok.

I would guess ~half of the wrestlers still employed at WWF signed before a viable well-paying alternative existed in this country, so I dunno why you would assume they're happy with the company. It's not like they have a lot of options when their draconian contracts only allow one party to get out of the deal early and there's seemingly no way to cobble together enough labor solidarity to unionize.

I'm sure a lot of people are lifers regardless but still, it's a lovely situation and lashing out at the seemingly-good-hearted workers feels misguided

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/1400178071764938754?s=20

In the end, Ricochet's going to probably end up paying WWE to wrestle there.

Three guys with equally bright futures in WWF

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Everything's doing bad against the NBA playoffs, but numbers lovers can take solace in the knowledge that the ratings somehow tanked notably hard during the first half of a Utah-Memphis game

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

dodgeblan posted:

I don't get why people need their faves to poo poo all over WWE immediately

Maybe tommy end is really dumb, but maybe he doesn't want to burn a bridge when there are like 3 bridges he can cross?

People here are definitely super weird about WWE workers in basically all situations, but also it feels like there's a difference between going "I'm grateful for my time in WWE" or "Vince was always willing to listen to me" and "The one guy who makes all the decisions for the company that shelved me for half a year and brought me back only to unceremoniously fire me out of nowhere? He actually loves my poo poo, and I don't know why all these lying-rear end 'journalists' are claiming otherwise."

Still not going to judge a dude who just lost his job too harshly

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Nick Khan to NXT when none of the developmental talents are ready to be stars on the main roster but the show also doesn't stand on its own as a third brand and Hunter wants to hire a wrecked 42-year-old the company just fired

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Digital Jedi posted:

What you didn't like them all going HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA the entire time?

Seeing this become Bayley's main thing made me think of this Matt Hardy interview

quote:

"There was a point where I did the Broken Matt Hardy laugh and then Bray had laughed too, and when Vince heard the laughs together, he's like, 'this is, this is funny s--t, let's roll with this,' and then it was every week, it was laughing at the end, over and over to overkill," Hardy said.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's awkward commentary, but I think it would have been a bigger suspension of disbelief if WWE announcers knew who an NXT UK wrestler was

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Package them together for a Covid-belief odd-couple tag team. Bronson comes out in a mask with his vax card laminated on a lanyard around his neck, tries to maintain 6 feet of distance from Kross who just comes up and hugs him before they walk ou

Also my headcannon is that Vince is raising NXT’s top guys as retribution for Trips undercutting the Samoa Joe firing

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The fans are going to be delighted by Raw when crowds are back because WWF spent the Thunderdome era doing a steady diet of rematches and aimless booking. Anything booked with even half a mind toward keeping an audience engaged will be like water in a desert. Tonight's show was hailed as the best Raw in ages because it cleared the bar of "having matches with simple stakes." Nikki Cross will get people saying "Well at least they're using her!"; Doudrop is getting a "See! She doesn't like the name either; they're just establishing Eva Marie as a heel!" reaction even though that story is completely detached from her presentation last week

Vince tanked the pandemic era to lower expectations and it worked beautifully. Trust The Process

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

It's easy to go "Lol, this is what happens when you remove the smoke and mirrors from the smoke and mirrors guy" but...why would you remove the smoke and mirrors from the smoke and mirrors guy????

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'd submit whiffing on Bryan's return from injury as the worst booking.

One, there's the obvious "How do you botch the gift-wrapped storyline of 'massively popular performer comes back from career-ending injury.'" More nebulously, it kind of seems like the point-of-no-return where you're fully into the dying embers of main roster WWF — having to turn Bryan heel so quickly is a "holy poo poo, they literally don't know how to do top faces anymore" moment, and the fans had become too apathetic to properly revolt against the poo poo product like they did earlier in the decade.

I guess you can point to the failure to capitalize on the momentum of the 2018 Rumble as a similar tipping point

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

heel turn posted:

Woods and Cole

I think they’re both under contract for several more years. New Day re-upped for five in 2019

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Charlotte going to the over the shoulder stare makes this good actually

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What if Sasha got redpilled by Gina Carano lol

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I’ve heard that he’s contemplating retiring for real because no matter where he signs his next contract, he can’t be certain his co-workers won’t unionize

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

DarkstarIV posted:

Piper Niven outed herself as a transphobe.

I know it's probably safe to assume any British person is a transphobe, but is this based on anything other than a four-year-old Twitter post that quickly got deleted and apologized for that you didn't see fit to complain about until Piper beat someone you like

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

KungFu Grip posted:

i wonder if they're gonna change nikki cross' name since karrion kross exists now

They were alternating between calling her Nikki Cross and Nikki ASH (for Almost a Super Hero)

Hedging their bets on whether Kross is worth calling up from Triple H purgatory

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Seems like there was a lot of goss going around but no confirmation and Meltzer was the first to take a leap on it

If that's what happened, it's a fuckup but also breaking the seal when everyone else is vagueposting about the same thing is commendable

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Little much for a work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MassRafTer posted:

If Vince re-hired Zelina to fire her husband and bury her on TV as retribution: wrestling is back.

Vince is more passionate about hiring a talented woman out of spite than other companies were about hiring her to use her normally. WWE truly is home of the Women's Evolution