Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ah yes, after the last round of votes it's time for my favourite Danielson/Mcguinness match to eliminate the lucharesu contingent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I absolutely love that Toryumon match. It's peak Dragon system/lucharesu madness, an absolute joy to behold, everyone should watch it & I'm very glad it made it this far.

But Danielson vs McGuinness is insane. It shortened Nigel's career. The crowd was loving off-the-wall for it, Nigel winning the World Title in England? Brilliant. Just an amazing match.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Didn't Danielson win that one? Or am I all mixed up?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

You're not wrong, but I interpreted what forkboy said as the crowd was nuclear because they were all in on the hope of their boy winning, and were absolutely crushed when Nigel got elbowed to death

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I was only convinced that Nigel won it, that's my memory.

Kind of embarrassing when you don't remember who won a match you'd probably have in your all-time top 10.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The winner was us, the fans.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 70.59% of the vote, Danielson/McGuinness advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Kenta Kobashi vs. Kensuke Sasaki from Pro Wrestling Noah Destiny against KENTA vs. Naomichi Marufuji from Pro Wrestling Noah Autumn Navigation

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kobashi/Sasaki forever. They just never stop chopping and it's so loving great!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Kobashi/Sasaki forever. They just never stop chopping and it's so loving great!

What he said

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sasaki v. Kobashi is the platonic ideal of big beefy boys slapping meat.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 66.67% of the vote, Kobashi/Sasaki advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST FEATURES THE LAST OF THE SIGNIFICANT SEVEN!

Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa from Pro Wrestling Noah Navigate for Evolution against Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit from WWE Royal Rumble

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I finally vote against what was once my favorite match of all time! Misawa and Kobashi simply cannot be denied.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If it were their match from Backlash 2001 it definitely would have been a harder choice

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
By unanimous decision, Kobashi/Misawa advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Keiji Mutoh from AJPW Super Power Series against Team CZW vs. Team ROH from ROH Death Before Dishonor IV

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It is extremely funny to vote for a match with CZW in the name instead of peak Grumpy Auld Bastard Tenryu, but also it's my genuine pick because that "Cage of Death" (which is actually more like Wargames) is just this perfect mix of the storytelling, not just of the CZW ROH feud but of Danielson's title reign & Homicide/Jim Cornette & his stooges, and also the lifelong Kingston/Hero hatred. This is about as good as indie wrestling storytelling ever got.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Whenever I read Mutoh I see red and vote for the other option

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
did the needful and voted for Mutoh/Tenryu, then.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 60% of the vote, Team CZW/Team ROH advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima from ROH Manhattan Mayhem II against Claudio Castagnoli vs. Eddie Kingston from CHIKARA Three-Fisted Tales

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Eddie Kingston was right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Eddie Kingston was right.

Why, did he also vote for Danielson vs Giant Baby?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With about a day left, it's all knotted up! Does a CHIKARA match make the quarter-finals?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

1 hour left on this and it's still tied. We need a hero to push one side over the edge

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 53.85% of the vote, Danielson/Morishima advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Kenta Kobashi vs. Minoru Suzuki from Pro Wrestling Noah Great Voyage against Necro Butcher vs. Samoa Joe from IWA Mid-South Something to Prove

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this one's over as well. next matchup please

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Seen few matches as viscerally violent as Joe vs Necro. That powerslam spot where Necrobutcher takes it on his head is seared into my brain, & is probably at least partially responsible for Necro from going from a nice chill stoned hillbilly to a MAGA chud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMU5S9VHhJM

Just in case you've missed this.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rewatching it, the powerslam is almost a Flatliner since Necro does not get over at all.

It's essential viewing, especially with Prazak, Kingston and Punk(?) losing their minds on commentary

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 61.54% of the vote, Kobashi/Suzuki advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa from AJPW Champion Carnival against Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness from ROH Rising Above

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:stare:

But.... I want to vote for both of them.....

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey, at least it’s their lesser matches right now. Steal yourself for the possibilities.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it kept on telling me i failed the captcha. but i kept on hammering the buttons because there was no captcha. i won after a while. ended up at ****3/4, motyc

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 77.78% of the vote, Kobashi/Misawa advances.

WE WRAP UP THE ROUND OF 16 WITH...

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Genichiro Tenryu from AJPW October Giant Series against Jun Akiyama vs. Kenta Kobashi from Pro Wrestling Noah Great Voyage

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 13 hours to go, it's tied, and you're not going to like what happens if we have a tie!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i done it. don't un-do it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

some rear end in a top hat already undid it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm very sorry, Cavauro, I undid it without realizing what you'd done.

Well, not too sorry, Kobashi's 2000 is not to be denied. :colbert:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it don't count as cussing somebody out if it was anonymous at the time

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

two separate ties happened since it was previously tied and announced by the tournament's composer and proprietor. sorry. nothing can be done

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, it's come to this. Normally, I'd pit four matches against one another and have the top two advance, but this is the last match-up of the Round of 16. Tiebreaker 1? Most people defending their vote.

Well, that doesn't work.

Tiebreaker 2 is what I call 'the Bryan Danielson rule'. Seeing as how both sides are equal, the match with less love in previous rounds under-promised and over-delivered. Much like Danielson against both Kenny Omega and Hangman Page, it feels like he won those matches by going toe-to-toe with the champ even though they went the distance.

In the first three rounds, Kawada/Tenryu received 16 votes out of 30, about 53%. Under the same parameters, Akiyama/Kobashi received 26 votes out of 36, about 72%.

THEREFORE, Kawada/Tenryu advances based on putting up a scrappier fight in the draw.

WE NOW GO TO THE QUARTERFINALS! Our first match:

Kenta Kobashi vs. Kensuke Sasaki from Pro Wrestling Noah Destiny against Team CZW vs. Team ROH from ROH Death Before Dishonor IV

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I like that tiebreaker method.

Also CZW has come far, but it's up against the unstoppable force now in Kobashi/Sasaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

These are possibly my 2 favourite matches of the decade, and for pretty different reasons. Cage of Death is a perfect conclusion to an extremely hot interpromotional feud, while also interlinking with a host of other stories going on in the company at the time.

Kobashi vs Sasaki is just 2 guys beating the gently caress out of each other because that's their job & they are both extremely good at it.

Kobashi vs Sasaki wins for me.