Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

what's the deadline for match submissions? Was going to throw in a few of the consensus best matches (according to Cagematch) that haven't been mentioned yet, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes tbh, because everyone else's ideas are doubtless better than mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There is no deadline - I'm just waiting until all the spots are filled.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

The Rock vs Hulk Hogan, Wrestlemania X8

Technically can’t hold a candle to any of these matches, but by god what a crowd reaction.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

what's the deadline for match submissions? Was going to throw in a few of the consensus best matches (according to Cagematch) that haven't been mentioned yet, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes tbh, because everyone else's ideas are doubtless better than mine

Nominate some stuff for sure.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Jun Akiyama vs. Mitsuhara Misawa, NOAH, Feb 27 2000
Money in the Bank, WrestleMania 21, April 3 2005
KENTA vs. Bryan Danielson, RoH Glory by Honor V Day 2, Sept. 16 2006

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
We've reached a lull, so I'm going to fill up the remaining 20 spots with the eight ****3/4 matches rated by Meltzer not yet nominated, along with the top 12 matches on cagematch that haven't been nominated yet.

THE FIRST POLL WILL BE UP SOON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw91RJ_m_7g

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
OUR FIRST MATCHUP features a match that I added, lol

Satoshi Kojima vs. Masato Tanaka from ZERO-ONE Fire Festival against Christopher Daniels vs. AJ Styles from TNA Against All Odds

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 19, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

For the life of me I cannot find Kojima vs Tanaka online. Which is a shame because it was cool.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

For the life of me I cannot find Kojima vs Tanaka online. Which is a shame because it was cool.

Yep. For the record, here's Styles/Daniels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBvH07i1X3E

e: hey Edward Mass, just to check, when you say 'remaining 20 spots', did you get these matches that I nominated when I edited my post on the last page?

in hindsight I really should have quoted them at the start of this page, but I just need to make sure that you counted them

e2: by the looks of the OP, you only added the first two because they were highly rated on Cagematch. poo poo. uhhh if I were you I'd remove both the wXw matches, because Cagematch is a German website, the people rating wXw highly there are almost always German speakers, and wXw isn't exactly popular on SA tbh

Venomous fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 19, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
drat I got here too late to nominate the first TLC match (it's better)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

drat I got here too late to nominate the first TLC match (it's better)

I will happily remove Rock/Austin at Mania 17 to include this match

e: vv I will, however, defend Tana/Goto to my dying breath, since it's their best match together and one of their best singles matches in general, and while I love the fun house match a lot, it isn't as significant imo vv

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 19, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
(I also would have nominated Crash vs. the Headbangers in the fun house)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ah, I should have nominated TLC4, the best one that had Kane winning all on his own

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, Tanahashi/Goto and TLC 1 replace the two wXw matches.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

OK, Tanahashi/Goto and TLC 1 replace the two wXw matches.

Perfect.

Anyway, since I unfortunately can't find the Tanaka match, I have to vote Styles/Daniels, although it is an absolutely cracking match

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

I would love to watch this.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 63.64% of the vote, Daniels/Styles advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST features one of the best wrestlers of all time in both matches.

Jun Akiyama vs. Mitsuhara Misawa from AJPW Excite Series against KENTA & Naomichi Marufuji vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari Ogawa from Pro Wrestling Noah Encountering Navigation

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Both matches for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swLzXN_lle4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqp5meorwS8

Gonna go for Misawa/Akiyama, because it has some of Misawa's finest heel work against Akiyama

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Even past his prime Misawa was so great, what a legend

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

As someone who has come to puroresu late and hasn't dug into the archives enough, the sight of Jun With Hair is almost but not quite as unnerving as the sight of Handsome Young Suzuki.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 62.5% of the votes, Jun Akiyama vs. Mitsuhara Misawa advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST should be a doozy!

Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness from ROH Unified against Naruki Doi vs. KENTA from Dragon Gate Dead or Alive

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Danielson-McGuinness: https://vimeo.com/243003979

Kenta-Doi: https://www.bilibili.com/s/video/BV1GW411L74j

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Both matches for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swLzXN_lle4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqp5meorwS8

Gonna go for Misawa/Akiyama, because it has some of Misawa's finest heel work against Akiyama

So, I'm watching these as I go. The first thought is the past 13 months of no or clap crowds has meant that every single time I've watched old stuff lately, especially stuff with a hot crowd like peak All Japan, I get chills. This is far from the hottest crowd I've ever ever but loving hell it's so good. I think I'd gotten more used to the clap crowds than I'd realised. Somehow Misawa's athleticism always surprises, the tease of the tope & then the shoulder tackle from the apron which causes the building to erupt. Ooooft, Misawa seems to land more on his head & neck than you'd want to on his 2nd rope crossbody. And then Akiyama just goes for it, he just targets the neck. They do the tease of a horrible move on the apron with an exploder tease, except then Akiyama just does the exploder suplex because gently caress it, someone needs to inspire Ibushi & Naito I guess. Randy Orton should watch this, not for the sick bumps, but just how to work holds that actually look miserable to be in rather than just lazily sitting in a headlock. OK, I stopped writing for 7 or 8 minutes because I've just been enraptured. I'm watching a 21 year old match & I'm gasping & yelling at my computer as Akiyama responds to a rolling elbow with two consecutive exploders. Unreal. Jesus. Jesus. Having watched this I want to knock half a star off every rating I've given this year because I'm clearly being too generous with my 4.75 & 4.5 ratings. So yeah, this loving rules. He gives Jun so much & it's beautiful. I almost don't need to watch the NOAH tag to know I'm voting for this. Oh yeah, & Meltzer giving this 4 1/4 is criminal. Go directly to jail David.

Young KENTA was a hotty. Just sayin'. Ogawa should bring back the shades. Pretty sure that's the only part of his career he's not still using 17 years later. KENTA being a prick & trying to go after Misawa who isn't even legal & getting floored by a big elbow is good. This is a much different match, the first 10 minutes are almost all KENTA being dominated by the bigger guy or the wily ol' vet while Marufuji looks on helplessly. Occasionally KENTA has a brief petulant moment where he'll clobber someone on the apron before getting beaten back down, so when the tag actually comes after 10 minutes it pop is the biggest of the match. Ogawa just knows the right time to throw an eyepoke to infuriate. Marufuji almost hits the roof after getting monkey flipped by Misawa. For that matter, height KENTA gets on his springboard dropkick is pretty ludicrous too, & then he goes for Kawada kicks & Misawa is at his most "get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo kid" which is glorious. Ogawa & Misawa are an under-rated team. Another rad finishing sequence.

So yeah, Akiyama vs Misawa gets my nod here but both matches are great but different. But with a connective tissue: "Misawa puts the next generation over much more than you might expect".

Ahahahahah, I left it too late to vote, rad. Och well, at least I got to enjoy 2 great matches.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 21, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

KENTA against Doi is a great match on paper. Each a half of one of the best Junior tag teams ever (Doi being the muscle in Speed Muscle with Yoshino & KENTA & Marufuji obviously being KENTA & Marufuji). And we've got a deeply partisan crowd which is always fun. Doi using his core strength to counter KENTA trying to reverse the figure 4 is a nice touch. Doi trading strikes with KENTA is dope. Crowd have some moments of not being great at the start but after about 15 minutes they start coming alive which helps make everything seem more important. Really bit on the straight jacket German by Naruki Doi. Overall there were some great near falls, real fun spots, but the first 10 minutes were a little too slow. Still a **** type of a match but really, fun & the back half is just a ridiculously enjoyable sprint

ROH Unified is about the peak of my ROH viewing: I got in after the hype around Kobashi Joe, fell head over heels for it & here they were coming to the UK & I couldn't get time off work because a colleague was going to some Mediterranean beach to turn red in the sun. Still mad about it, as if that was a more important excuse to get time off than a ROH World/Pure Title unification bout (& an undercard that had Go Shiozaki tagging with SUWA). Anyway, I've dug out my DVD of this because I need the proper entrances & the first thing to note is there's actually a short hype video before the match. It's not great, or even good really, but for ROH of the time standards it's a pleasant surprise that just has some highlights & has each guy talking about why they are going to win. McGuinness actually comes off a little more heely in it than I'd expected. Final Countdown is an excellent entrance song. But as soon as it stops playing the crowd are chanting for Nigel. English fans are absolutely terrible at throwing in streamers. Good to see that after all these years that ringpost headbutt is still loving hideous (it's great how this wasn't even the first time Nigel had done it in ROH, the big idiot). Match stands up though, it's exceptional.

And hoorah, I watched in time to vote this time.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Could we have 48 hours to vote on these? It's tough to always find time in that small of a window for two matches that are almost always going to be at least 20 minutes long.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Punch McLightning posted:

Could we have 48 hours to vote on these? It's tough to always find time in that small of a window for two matches that are almost always going to be at least 20 minutes long.

OK, starting with the next matchup they're going to be 48 hours.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I think this one is clearly to McGuinness-Bryan. That's a fantastic match that is marred for me by some of the loving dumbest headbutts I've ever seen. The pure rules were used perfectly and it's obvious both Bryan and Nigel really knew how to put a good match together.

I liked KENTA-Doi really well - I've watched very little Dragon Gate in the past. I know their thing is just MOVES, and it was really impressive watching it, but I didn't get a feeling of a storyline in the match at all other than MOVES. This is like ****1/2, so I don't want to make it sound like I hated this match, but it was easier to point at what I thought it was missing compared with the other.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 91.67%(!) of the vote, Danielson/McGuinness advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST features two Kobashi matches. I have a feeling this won't be the last time that happens!

Kenta Kobashi vs. Yoshihiro Takayama from Pro Wrestling Noah Encountering Navigation against Kenta Kobashi vs. Kensuke Sasaki from Pro Wrestling Noah Destiny

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This tournament started if anyone didn't know. i'm letting everyone know

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kobashi/Takayama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ-4QcGJs0A

Kobashi/Sasake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET9V5fCdRYM

Definitely go out of your way to watch both matches

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kobashi/Sasaki contains the single greatest chopfest in the history of professional wrestling.

When I heard that five minutes of that match was just knife-edge chops, I was like 'wait, why? That sounds boring as gently caress.'

Then I watched it, and BEEF, BEEF, BEEEEEEEF

the Takayama match is pretty good, but it's a wee bit overrated imo, and it's not as relentlessly beefy as Kobashi/Sasaki, so there's my vote lmao

e: the one negative about Kobashi/Sasaki is that it didn't take place in the 90s, when both men were at their prime, and Dave the fuckhead could have given it a full five

Venomous fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 22, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Kobashi/Sasaki contains the single greatest chopfest in the history of professional wrestling.

When I heard that five minutes of that match was just knife-edge chops, I was like 'wait, why? That sounds boring as gently caress.'

Then I watched it, and BEEF, BEEF, BEEEEEEEF

Extremely same.

Kenta vs Kensuke is maybe my all time favourite match. At worst it's in the discussion. Kobashi Takayama can't compete with that

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

OK, starting with the next matchup they're going to be 48 hours.

Thank you!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Voted for the Sasaki match since I wouldn't put the Takayama match in the top 5 of Kobashi's reign, there was just too many bangers. I've got mixed feelings on Destiny as a show though, no way should Rikio be defending the title in the midcard, even if it were against someone as unproven as Tanahashi

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I've yet to watch the Sasuke one, but the Takayama one was absolutely fantastic, just one of the best matches I've ever seen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I've yet to watch the Sasuke one, but the Takayama one was absolutely fantastic, just one of the best matches I've ever seen.

Swear to god, Kobashi vs Sasaki is...Venomous described it perfectly really: "I watched it, and BEEF, BEEF, BEEEEEEEF"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

The above is true and the loving Sasuki match is even better. Just absolutely brutal and insane. I can't imagine what Kawada and Misawa were thinking when they were put as the main on top of this match.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
By unanimous decision, Kobashi/Sasaki advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST features two matches from two completely different promotions. (I'm running out of interesting things to say here)

Minoru vs. Ryusuke Taguchi from NJPW 35th Anniversary Tour against Claudio Castagnoli vs. Eddie Kingston from CHIKARA Three-Fisted Tales

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't have the patience to dig through New Japan World's lovely search right now, but here's Eddie/Claudio https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ygteo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

I don't have the patience to dig through New Japan World's lovely search right now, but here's Eddie/Claudio https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ygteo

Phone posting, but here's the Minoru Taguchi Match: https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1ZE4119787?from=seopage

At least I think it is, I'm phone posting