Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Voted for Kingston/Claudio since I think it's the best match Chikara ever had, but it was tough. I really enjoyed young Taguchi finally getting the big win over heel Minoru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I'll miss this round, unfortunately.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 62.5% of the vote, Castagnoli/Kingston advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST is...

Kenta Kobashi vs. Minoru Suzuki from Pro Wrestling Noah Great Voyage against Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Benoit vs. Christian vs. Edge vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane from WWE WrestleMania 21

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MITB: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xko4km
Kobashi-Suzuki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30KQ9vHVphg

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm going with Money in the Bank here. Both were very unique matches for their time; Suzuki and Kobashi worked a match heavily inspired by MMA, while MITB was an outright chaotic mess in the best possible way. I think MITB was really exciting and probably the best match of that type.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
By ONE VOTE, Kobashi/Suzuki advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka vs. Shinjiro Otani & Tatsuhito Takaiwa from NJPW Summer Struggle against Satoshi Kojima vs. Genichiro Tenryu from AJPW Excite Series

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Only now realised I didn't vote in the last pool, wouldn't have mattered since i'd have voted for Kobashi/MiSu anyways. Voted for Kojima/Tenryu this time, Kojima in the early to mid 2000s was real good for how well it's remembered

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Kojima-Tenryu: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3eo8xq
Kanemoto & Tanaka-Otani & Takaiwa: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av626554224/

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to be able to watch both tonight, but the tag is an amazing match just in terms of how intense the last ten minutes are. Stick with it past the first five minutes, it's definitely worth it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Deffo watch Kojima Tenryu. Early 00s Tenryu rules, Kojima rules, match rules

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Kojima-Tenryu is good, but I've seen better from both guys in this era. I gotta go with the tag.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So I absolutely love Tenryu, but tbh that tag match is brilliant, especially since it's a rematch from the 1999 October Tokyo Dome show. Worth watching that match too if you liked this one, because it's just as chaotic and wonderful. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wsvtj

(Also, I'm not the biggest Kojima fan in the world lmao.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 71.43% of the vote, Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka vs. Shinjiro Otani & Tatsuhito Takaiwa advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Jun Akiyama vs. Kenta Kobashi from Pro Wrestling Noah Great Voyage against the Briscoe Brothers vs. El Generico & Kevin Steen from ROH Man Up

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

No contest. gently caress the Briscoes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Akiyama Kobashi is one of the real highlights of 2000 NOAH. Kind of doesn't need commented on.

Man Up Ladder Warfare is a match I have to rewatch but my vague memories of it are that it's one of the standout ladder matches I've seen. Gloriously hatefilled, full of shots to the head which are probably pretty uncomfortable to watch in hindsight. Absolutely great blow-off to the Briscoes Steenerico feud which was so hot in '07 ROH. And then throw in the very memorable post-match angle which saw the reveal of Age of the Fall. This is a tough contest.

I looked for a link for it & the best I could find is from Facebook: https://fb.watch/5dbJBxv0S9/

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vote

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Akiyama-Kobashi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ezfRLRrTLU
Briscoes-Steenerico: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7c5r9x

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Well, the tag was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 72.73% of the vote, Akiyama/Kobashi advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST features a bout with the same competitors as the last contest. That's the RNG for you!

The Briscoe Brothers vs. El Generico & Kevin Steen from ROH Death Before Dishonor V, Night 1 against Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness from ROH Sixth Anniversary Show

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I mean, it's Danielson and McGuiness. Even if it's not as good that their match at Unified it's still some of the best wrestling coming out of America during the decade

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

once again, gently caress the Briscoes. Bryan Danielson is the greatest wrestler of all time, and Nigel McGuinness is one of his best opponents. That's it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddammit I completely lost track of this thread and should have been voting before now :doh:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Danielson-McGuinness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7rKXkFqaM
Briscoes-Steenerico: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av91431223/

edit: lol the storyline of the Danielson-McGuinness is "bryan, please don't concuss nigel" because it's like 18 months after nigel splattered his skull with shoot headbutts on a ring post

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 4, 2021

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm going Danielson-McGuinness on this one. I really liked the story of Nigel just being a total rear end in a top hat against pretty much a white meat babyface in Danielson. The work in it was great, of course, and the finishing stretch was wonderful.

The tag match was a mess of a million moves. It was very exciting, very hard hitting, and entirely too many unprotected shots to the head. If you ignored CTE, it was a really impressive match.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 91.67% of the vote, Danielson vs. McGuinness advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST FEATURES ONE OF THE SIGNIFICANT SEVEN!

Brock Lesnar vs. the Undertaker from WWE No Mercy against Blood Generation vs. Do FIXER from ROH Supercard of Honor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember that Taker/Brock match was really good, but I also remember Blood Generation/Do FIXER being loving incredible so voting that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Blood Generation vs Do FIXER is on the ROH Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKPZpA2fWQ

I think it's not an over-statement to say this is one of the most important matches to happen in the United States in the 2000's, but this put the Toryumon/Dragon system on the map in the US in a way it hadn't been since the few weeks where Ultimo got his kids some WCW bookings. And Supercard of Honor was really the start of "Wrestlemania Weekend" & indies piggybacking onto all these ravenous wrestling fans all being in one city at one time, and it's not like it was a loaded show, nobody really remembers AJ & Sydal vs Gen Next or Danielson vs Roddy for nearly an hour, this 6 man tag was the entire focus of the show. And the style has gone on to be a huge part of modern American wrestling, in WWE, AEW, the indies, Dragon Gate have impacted it all. Put all that influence aside what do you have?

A rabidly hot crowd, 6 wrestlers with a combined 1 ROH performance between them (CIMA & Shingo Takagi had come to ROH in 2005 for a one shot), who all instantly impressed with what's basically summed up as a "best-of" style match. There's been better DG 6 man tag matches but there hasn't been a more important one.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Blood Generation vs Do FIXER is on the ROH Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKPZpA2fWQ

I think it's not an over-statement to say this is one of the most important matches to happen in the United States in the 2000's, but this put the Toryumon/Dragon system on the map in the US in a way it hadn't been since the few weeks where Ultimo got his kids some WCW bookings. And Supercard of Honor was really the start of "Wrestlemania Weekend" & indies piggybacking onto all these ravenous wrestling fans all being in one city at one time, and it's not like it was a loaded show, nobody really remembers AJ & Sydal vs Gen Next or Danielson vs Roddy for nearly an hour, this 6 man tag was the entire focus of the show. And the style has gone on to be a huge part of modern American wrestling, in WWE, AEW, the indies, Dragon Gate have impacted it all. Put all that influence aside what do you have?

A rabidly hot crowd, 6 wrestlers with a combined 1 ROH performance between them (CIMA & Shingo Takagi had come to ROH in 2005 for a one shot), who all instantly impressed with what's basically summed up as a "best-of" style match. There's been better DG 6 man tag matches but there hasn't been a more important one.

This match almost single handedly got me back into wrestling. The finishing sequence where the announcers just shut up and let the moves happen to the sound of the crowd making more noise then a crowd of that size should be able to is just unbelievable.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I think that the Blood Generation / Do FIXER match is likely the better match, but in terms of greatness the Lesnar / Taker match was seismic. At a point where WWE basically had no surprises left to offer, they found a way to do one last meaningful thing.

They hosed everything after that by bringing Taker back later, but the moment was astounding.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LionYeti posted:

This match almost single handedly got me back into wrestling. The finishing sequence where the announcers just shut up and let the moves happen to the sound of the crowd making more noise then a crowd of that size should be able to is just unbelievable.

Leonard & Prazak were really good with knowing when to just let the match speak for itself. IIRC Joe vs Kobashi they shut up completely for the entire thing & you just got to listen to the slaps & the crowd going insane & it ruled. Kind of forgotten commentary pairing at this point but they were really good.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Leonard & Prazak were really good with knowing when to just let the match speak for itself. IIRC Joe vs Kobashi they shut up completely for the entire thing & you just got to listen to the slaps & the crowd going insane & it ruled. Kind of forgotten commentary pairing at this point but they were really good.

I don't think it was the whole time but they were quiet for a large majority of it and yes it did rule.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

When I first saw the DG tag, I honestly thought it was the greatest tag match I had ever seen. I still quite like it, and I recognise how incredibly important it is, but I'm a lot less enamoured with pure spectacle these days, idk. Anyway, for pure historical value alone, it's better than Lesnar/Taker, tho goddamn those two conservative dipshits had a hell of a fight.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Lesnar-Taker is a really good HitC match, something like four stars, but the Dragon Gate show off match still holds up as a total spotfest in the best way.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 76.47% of the vote, Blood Generation/Do FIXER advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Satoshi Kojima from AJPW Realize against Suwama vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi from AJPW Gaora Special Champion Carnival

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Never not vote for big Tosh.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Koji-Kawada: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWjX614oWpg
Tana-Suwama: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7s8a8f

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If you're lazy like me, here's the YT link for Tana/Suwama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1GmW-aV6Rc

Anyway, going with that because Tana was just entering his prime at this stage, and he was absolutely goddamn incredible at his job.

Bit of backstory here: early in 2008, Tanahashi was undergoing contract negotiations with NJPW. The company was committed to pushing Nakamura as the ace instead of him, so while his contract had expired, Tana thought 'might as well show this lot what they're missing out on if they don't re-sign me' and came into the Champion Carnival as a free agent. Tana went undefeated in his block, defeating Taiyo Kea and Satoshi Kojima and drawing to Keiji Mutoh and Toshiaki Kawada, heading into the final against AJPW's soon-to-be ace, Suwama. I don't want to spoil the match, but I will say that eight months later, Tana became the IWGP Heavyweight Champion for the second time in the Tokyo Dome.

e: oh, the vote ended two hours ago. Anyway, Kawada/Kojima is a pretty cool match

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 85.71% of the vote, Kawada/Kojima advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Yuji Nagata vs. Akira Taue from Pro Wrestling Noah Navigation With Breeze against Hirooki Goto vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi from NJPW Destruction

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The world needs more Taue in their lives. Dude ruled, and was only held back by his peers being the GOAT pantheon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SG Bamboo posted:

The world needs more Taue in their lives. Dude ruled, and was only held back by his peers being the GOAT pantheon

That this is effectively Taue v Goto is a true passing of the torch moment.