Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Hey gang! So I'm a big nerd, and an even bigger fan of Age of Sigmar, so I thought to myself, yo, why not put these two things together? Adapting the solo play rules from White Dwarf #458, the statblocks from the official Battletomes, the incredible Scarlet Heroes by Sine Nomine Publishing, and my own spin to keep things straight in my head. It should be broadly compatible with any given OSR game, but is specifically done for Scarlet Heroes, other Sine Nomine Games, and Old School Essentials. I'll post in here whenever I make a new thing for it!

Now, some people have noted that the enemies in this are a bit difficult for your standard OSE-slash-B/X adventurer (or even party), and that's by design. They're meant to be a challenge to a single Scarlet Heroes character - they might cream a single normal adventurer, and some Godbound might walk all over them. It's your game, so adjust the difficulty as you want. I personally recommend removing the multiple attacks, and ignoring some of the qualities that might make them more of a hassle than they already are.

--
Old School Sigmar: Bloodbound BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! Deadly and terrible, these debased worshipers of the Dark Gods were among the first to savage the Mortal Realms in the Age of Chaos. Even now, with the odds against them with the coming of the Stormcast, the Necroquake, and the saga of the Broken Realms, they still fight on with a ferocity matched by precious few. SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Old School Sigmar: Nighthaunt Nagash hungers. For sadism, for cruelty, for souls. Every ghost he touches, he drags screaming from the afterlife and into his terrible service. Haunting the battlefields of the Mortal Realms, the undead horrors of the Nighthaunt rend flesh from bone and souls from the living, harvesting the dead for mighty Nagash. Face them and know terror.

Old School Sigmar: Gloomspite The Bad Moon rises. The mortal realms are choked in moisture and fungus. Mutations and insanity follow an unending parade of cackling, green abominations. They are the Gloomspite Gitz and they will not rest until all the realms are choked in mushrooms and bile. If you see the Bad Moon, it's bound to take your life.
--

(Sidenote: Consider this a + thread because I do NOT want any trolling about Age of Sigmar - I really like it and see enough negativity about it on this dumpass forum.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
THE ANVIL OF OLD-SCHOOLTHEOSIS

Here's an on-the-fly conversion here of a super simple fella: An old school Chaos Marauder!

This kind of a dude.

Handy Dandy Warscroll for reference.

I'll go in order of how they'll appear as an OSR statblock like the ones I've listed up above.

First, the number appearing. For this one I go by kind of what is expected of the army based on their statblock - AoS is fairly loosey goosey about that, so I go from the numbers that affect their stats - in this case, the Chaos Marauders get a stat boost at 10+ members and another one at 20+ members (Barbarian Hordes), which tells they'll hang out in gangs of up to 20 on average, and up to 40 during a big war sequence or in their home territory. So I put No. Appear: 2d10 (2d20)

Morale is basically the Bravery score, which is very wargame-y and assumes they rout or break up but may regroup rather than completely splitting apart and running away. Chaos Marauders have Bravery 5, which means they rout on a 2d6 result of 5 or higher. That should be familiar - I just let it ride since AoS AND OSE morale are both weighed from, like, 2-12 roughly. Morale: 5

Armor Class gets a little muddier! I generally look at their Save (the Marauders' is 6+, which means they take an injury or die on d6 roll of 6 or higher), any description/ability that affects their power to resist injury (the Chaos Marauders have shields sometimes!), and their actual model (these guys are typically in leathers or nothing). Unless it really matters to you who in the horde has shields or not, I go with Leather Armor (which would be roughly hide + shield anyway) Also I use inverted AC like in old school B/X, if you like ascending just flip it back. Armor Class: 7.

For Hit Dice I usually just directly translate their Wounds. Chaos Marauders have 1 Wound, so they have 1 Hit Dice. Since I like to make use of the Horde rules from Godbound (and I THINK Worlds Without Number, but don't quote me on that), which works out to 1 enemy x 10 = 10 enemies in a mob x 2 = 20 in a horde x 4 = 40 in an army. So they have Hit Dice: 1 (10/20/40). Point a stormcast at em and let them go ape.

For Attacks, I finagle a little. Some AoS enemies have an absolutely insane number of attacks that, even for a boss-level enemy facing a Godbound pantheon, would totally shred through a PC's hit points even if they only chipped them like 1 damage at a time. So I look at the number of attacks and cut them in half, rounded up (so 3-4 attacks in AoS would be 2 in OSR, 7-8 attacks AoS would be 4 OSR, etc.). Chaos Marauders, depending on what they wield, can attack with a Barbarian Axe that attacks twice or a Barbarian Flail that attacks once but has 2" (10') reach. The Flail has a higher chance To Wound (3+) than the Axe does (4+), but the axe can attack twice. Just to keep things sane, I keep it rounded down to 1 attack anyway. Since these are all absolute babby level enemies, I rule they have +1 to Attacks. So they have Attacks: 1 Barbarian Axe +1 OR 1 Barbarian Flail (Reach, 10') +1.

I just go with the Damage for, obviously, a Hand axe. Since since the Flail is a bit beefier, I give it one die type higher. So Damage: 1d6 OR 1d8.

(You may note that it kind of objectively makes the Flail better than the Axe - this is true! There is very little harm in rolling 2d6 or attacking twice or whatever you wanna do. It kind of punishes lower level guys, but trust me - AoS Attacks /2 = OSR Attacks will save you from rolling to hit 8 times in an effing row.)

Unless an enemy is noted in the fiction to be particularly clever, talented in another field, or something else, I usually match Skill Bonus to the plus to Attacks. Therefore, Skill Bonus: +1.

Movement is another fun one to translate - I basically just do AoS movement x 5, rounded up. You're welcome to not round up if the version of the game you're using uses 5' squares instead of 10' squares - it's all math japes anyway. Average AoS mans movement is 5-6", Average OSR mans movement is 30', 6x5 = 30, yeah. Chaos Marauders move 6' and have nothing that adds to their movement like wings, jets, super legs, etc. Move: 30 feet

For this particular conversion I'm using Scarlet Heroes' treasure tables, because they're what I had on hand. Future editions might use the treasure tables from WWN - I'll note that in the document if so. Until then, Chaos Marauders (unless you wanna make them Slaanesh boys in glittering metal or something) are typically not fancy lads, so they have H2 (which is Petty Change - i.e. 1d6 coins, 15% 1d3 petty jewelry, 10% 1d2 fine jewelry, or something like that). It's the "picking some dead bastard's pocket" garbage money entry. Treasure: H2.

I kind of include the Descriptions and Abilities under the OSR monster's qualities for completeness' sake, because why do anything half-assed if you're copping a 35+ year old writing style? Unless they're particularly interesting or notable, I don't always use them at my own table personally. Plus even if I don't remember to use them, they're fun to write. If you're the kind of person who enjoys unit variation and counting how many dudes your players have knocked down and which ones they were, I typically write them out in the order in which they appear.

For instance, the first Description the Chaos Marauders have is the Marauder Chieftain. If you're the kind of person who likes the leaders of units to be particularly notable, I would instead make a copy of the Chaos Marauders statblock and beef him up. For a Marauder Chieftain, I'd say he has the same stats except Morale: 7 (Lower end of above average), Hit Dice: 2-3 (If you want him to go higher, he's probably a named Chaos Warrior instead - big armor guys), Attacks: 2 Barbarian Axe +2 OR 1 Barbarian Flail (Reach, 10') +2, and Skill Bonus: +2. I know that's not strictly in-keeping with direct conversion, but if he really does matter enough to single him out, he deserves more than just a piddly second attack. After all, even if second attacks are pretty cool, your PCs would mostly just wonder why the mosquito was biting them twice sometimes. The Marauder Chieftain will also get the Boundless Ferocity feature below. You can maybe give him extra damage to his weapons or better treasure, but that's up to you.

For the optional/supplementary troops, I tend to say the army either has them and their buffs last until everyone's dead (saves you figuring out who, specifically, just got an axe through the neck) or I track them as a separate NPC and call them out as acting. Up to you! Chaos Marauder Icon Bearers reduce the enemy's Bravery. This is a problem because PCs don't really have Bravery (or Morale in this case) in most OSR games. Therefore, I say it actually penalizes them completely instead, but only a little. Therefore 1 in every 5 Chaos Marauders is an...Icon Bearer: While any Icon Bearers still live, PCs within 20 feet take -1 to all checks and saves.

(Incidentally, any number of icon bearers would be ones I'd put out as individual NPCs, maybe have them plant their banner and do sabotage/guerilla warfare/mischief.)

So about the Barbarian Drummers: There aren't really charge rolls in OSR games so much as you either charge or you don't. I have to go back to previous ones and edit this ruling, because I misunderstood OSE's Charge rules, but essentially: To charge in Old-School Sigmar, you don't need a mount or a lance, you can just do it - but on a mount you only need to move 30 feet and an item with Reach reduces the range needed by 10'.

So with THAT out of the way, the Barbarian Drummers act as sort of portable Reach 10' but only for Charging. Yes, this stacks with flails, but only if the people who charged all have flails - otherwise it's just an uncoordinated frenzied assault. 1 in every 5 Chaos Marauders is a...Barbarian Drummer: While and Barbarian Drummers live, reduce the maximum movement needed to charge to 50'.

Regarding the Mark of Chaos: Simply put, in AoS a non-hero with the Mark of Chaos basically only gets benefits from HEROES with the Mark of Chaos, and even then sometimes only if they're in a specific faction, and going into the nuances of it while doing WAAAAYYYY more than just the statblock would take, well, converting pretty much the whole Slaves to Darkness book. So I'm not gonna go into it in that much detail. :V

Instead, here's Quick and Dirty Mark of Chaos: Mark of Chaos: The Chaos Marauder has one of the following Marks of Chaos (roll 1d6 or select):
  • 1. Khorne: Add +1 to the damage of all attacks.
  • 2. Nurgle: -1 to Armor Class. (+1 if using Ascending)
  • 3. Slaanesh: Immune to charm or other mind-altering effects.
  • 4. Tzeentch: Add Magic Missile (1/day)
  • 5. Undivided: Add +1 to Morale.
  • 6. Malal: Add +1 to-hit.
So back to Charging - Boundless Ferocity lets you change a die to 6 on a Charge roll. To kind of modify that, I'll say: Boundless Ferocity: On a successful charge, roll the Chaos Marauder's damage dice. On the highest possible result, triple the damage dealt instead.

Chaos Marauders
No. Appear:
2d10 (2d20)
Morale: 5
Armor Class: 7 (6 w/ shield)
Hit Dice: 1 (10/20/40)
Attacks: 1 Barbarian Axe +1 OR 1 Barbarian Flail (Reach, 10') +1.
Damage: 1d6 or 1d8
Skill Bonus: +1
Move: 30 feet
Treasure: H2
  • 1 in every 5 Chaos Marauders is an...Icon Bearer: While the Icon Bearer still lives, PCs within 20 feet take -1 to all checks and saves.
  • 1 in every 5 Chaos Marauders is a...Barbarian Drummer: While and Barbarian Drummers live, reduce the maximum movement needed to charge to 50'.
  • Mark of Chaos: The Chaos Marauders all have one of the following Marks of Chaos per group (roll 1d6-1, re-rolling 1s, or select):
    [LIST]
  • Mark of Chaos: The Chaos Marauders all have one of the following Marks of Chaos per group (roll 1d6-1, re-rolling 1s, or select):
  • 1. Khorne: Add +2 to the damage of all attacks.
  • 2. Nurgle: -2 to Armor Class. (+1 if using Ascending)
  • 5. Undivided: Add +2 to Morale.
  • Boundless Ferocity: On a successful charge, roll the Chaos Marauder's damage dice. On the highest possible result, triple the damage dealt instead.

Marauder Chieftain
No. Appear:
Morale: 7
Armor Class: 7 (6 w/ shield)
Hit Dice: 2-4
Attacks: 2 Barbarian Axe +2 OR 1 Barbarian Flail (Reach, 10') +2.
Damage: 1d6 or 1d8
Skill Bonus: +2
Move: 30 feet
Treasure: H2
  • 1. Khorne: Add +2 to the damage of all attacks.
  • 2. Nurgle: -2 to Armor Class. (+1 if using Ascending)
  • 5. Undivided: Add +2 to Morale.
  • Boundless Ferocity: On a successful charge, roll the Chaos Marauder's damage dice. On the highest possible result, triple the damage dealt instead.
And that's that! The whole process.

So, does anyone have any requests? These three are adapted from the Solo Rules in White Dwarf 458, using only the units they provided, so if anyone's interested I'd happily fill those out with the rest of the battletome. I'd also love to stat out from basically any Battletome, so if you'd like to see one redone OSR style, I'd be happy to give it a go.

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 14, 2021