Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Problem description: I have an older Samsung TV and I have an external HD (1TB, FAT32) that I hook up to it via USB to watch videos and so on. The external HD is kind of cumbersome as it is really old and has to actually be plugged into an outlet along with the USB connection to the TV, so I bought a new 5TB external that just plugs in via USB. It works fine on my PC but the TV doesn't recognize it.

Attempted fixes: I did some googling and saw that it could either be because of the format of the drive, or because of the size of the partition (I guess some TVs can't read USB-connected drives over a certain size). I learned how to use the Disk Management tool and deleted the volumes off the drive, and created new simple volumes of different sizes (including under 1TB since I know at least my TV can read that size). I've tried making it both NTSF as well as exFAT. Nothing has worked so far, but I read that formatting the external to FAT32 (which is not the same as exFAT I guess?) might work. My old external is FAT32 so this tracks. However, I don't really know how to do that. I downloaded a tool called Rufus, but it doesn't have FAT32 as an option in the 'File system' list so I didn't do anything with Rufus. At this point, I don't know how to proceed as I don't know anything about this stuff in the first place.

Recent changes: N/A
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
System specs: The external in question is a "Seagate Portable 5TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 "
I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

However, I don't really know how to do that. I downloaded a tool called Rufus, but it doesn't have FAT32 as an option in the 'File system' list so I didn't do anything with Rufus. At this point, I don't know how to proceed as I don't know anything about this stuff in the first place.

Some things you could try:
https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

Also, what kind of USB ports are on the TV? If they're older there could be some USB 2 vs. 3 compatibility issue. Also, the USB ports on the TV may not be putting out enough power to power the HDD itself.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Zogo posted:

Some things you could try:
https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

Also, what kind of USB ports are on the TV? If they're older there could be some USB 2 vs. 3 compatibility issue. Also, the USB ports on the TV may not be putting out enough power to power the HDD itself.

Thanks for replying! I tried both of the methods in the link, but neither worked because the HDD is too large. FAT32 Format only supports up to 2TB. PowerShell gave a similar error but didn't specify what its limit is.

The TV USBs are 2.0 (and the HDD is 3.0). My understanding is that they're typically compatible, but you may be right that the USB from the TV isn't giving enough power to actually power the HDD (although the light on the HDD does come on when I connect it to the TV if that means anything). I just looked up the TV's manual online and it says:

"Media Play only supports USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) devices. MSC is a Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport device. Examples of MSC are Thumb drives and Flash Card Readers. Devices should be connected directly to the TV's USB port. USB HDD is not supported. A USB device that requires high power (more than 0.5A) may not be supported."

So then I googled the HDD power requirements and found this:

So... I think that answers my question. :(

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Delete the 5tb partition and just make it 1.5tb or something, then format that partition to Fat32.

Good call other poster on the USB

Edit: just saw the graph, it didn't load until I posted. Yeah, that's the stuff. USB +5V current is varied depending on the quality of the chips and support components. It's wildly different in almost every product.

Edit 2: you can definitely use a powered hub they're pretty cheap.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 19, 2021