Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Cincinnati’s stadium is going to be called TQL Stadium.

We have Cincy fans in TRP, right?
Total Quality Loss Stadium. Sounds about right for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Columbus
United
Men's
Soccer

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Isn't no small part of NASCAR's problem that the France family still runs it with an iron first and thus they just do whatever the hell they want when it comes to rules and regulations with no consultation?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

All for a really lazy rebrand too

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

I’m still trying to understand what thought process results in so many marketing people and team owners deciding that City Name FC is the gateway to riches.
Because "how can we look like European football without having any of the tradition or quality?"

Also, man how about that tackle on Andy Polo?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

i assume at some point they did a bunch of survey research on soccer fans who dont watch mls but watch european, mexican, international or other leagues and found that goofy american team names was seen as one of the barriers for them becoming mls fans (ancedotally i remember hearing this criticism of mls for a long time from non-mls soccer fans)

which is dumb but may also be correct for a subset of potential fans
Well sure if you're talking about teams like Tampa Bay Mutiny back in the day with the logo being a minimalistic crab holding a soccer ball, but the kinds of people who are like "ugh god the Portland TIMBERS what an amateurish Americanized name" are the kinds of drab pissants you'll never reach in a million years because they'll always find some kind of reason to bitch about the product anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

drat, can't remember the last time there was a suspension that long for a tackle. The Zakuani career-ender is the only one that comes to mind, which was 10 games.
The only other one that long I can think of for something during live-ball play was Ricardo Clarke kicking Carlos Ruiz directly in the small the back. IIRC that earned him eight games off.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

rain dogs posted:

The Revs logo was the second most embarrassing thing about the league
that scribble flag is a more important piece of tradition in american soccer than chant sheets and made-up ultras and fake euro names u son of a bitch

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This has been in the pipe for a while. Basically is a D3 league that will consist of mostly U23 teams and "some" independent teams. IIRC the belief is those indy teams might come from clubs already fielding academy teams in the new MLS NEXT system.

Still, I kinda hate it because it's another parallel system.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

it seems like an obvious way to expand mls footprint and infrastructure and put them in a strong position to take more control over lower divisions depending on how things evolve over the coming years. its not as if USL or NASL are exactly the most stable leagues in the world and id assume in the long term more and more may come under the mls umbrella formally.
uhhhh the NASL hasn't played a game since 2017

CubanMissile posted:

Bring back Reno 1868
Reno was a good market but were shackled by having personnel controlled by an MLS team, playing in a baseball stadium that was actually being used for minor league baseball, and also having their own venue talks stall due in part to Covid's impact on the local economy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Apparently someone on Minnesota did a racism/homophobia last night

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status/1409034070344884227
Word is it's the new guy, Fragapane.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Should have happened about two years ago.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Don't have any hot Twitter links handy but apparently there are people in the social media ~~~discourse~~~ who are downright ANGRY that Soccer Moses in Nashville is a thing.

I don't know how one of the actual good things about Major League Soccer could piss you off, but there you go.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

STLCSC is collaborating with a fan group who have been “leading the charge” for a St. Louis MLS team for years, and I’m terrified of what cringe poo poo they come up with by the time the first game is played here in 2023.
In my experience those "fan groups" who "lead the charge" for expansion teams are also the people who sit on their asses while there are lower tier teams around, and they are experts at coming up with top-shelf cringe.

Edward Mass posted:

I'll say this about Austin's pre-match ritual of a local person of note banging a drum and leading a chant: it's simple and inoffensive.
Banging a drum is great: it's loud, it gets people in rhythm, and it's fun.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

highme posted:

After Portland got shellacked by Austin last week I saw one of the [Timbers Army's] most obnoxious complainers...
I can't even imagine

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Boy howdy I bet the Don is sure counting his lucky loving stars every day that he let Becks put a team there at at 75% discount.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I can't remember: is Venezia owned by Americans? Supposedly they're in for Gianlucia Busio and at least one other MLS player.

GG get your rear end in here

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I can't possibly imagine why someone would willingly put themselves in a situation where they'd be forced into isolation like that.

When I was diagnosed with a brain cyst in 2010 I was so dysfunctional at one point that I was put on "don't loving go anywhere" home rest for about 4.5 weeks, and just the psychology having a Mayo Clinic neurologist tell me that I had to go into semi-isolation like that meant that even though I had plenty of games and cable and movies and all that poo poo it just about drove me out of my mind.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

KC's apparently getting eight figures for Gianluca Busio.

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1416908043825123333

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

Sac's biggest investor pulled out. unless they find another multi-millionaire to bail them out, they're dead in the water
i have to believe MLS is gonna copy NFL in having 32 teams and then lock it from there
honestly surprised Phoenix hasn't put a solid bid in yet and there's rumors every so often about Las Vegas
Sacramento is reportedly working hard to revamp the bid and last I read Guy Fieri is part of it.

God help me I don't care how loving big the discount is we NEED MLS to have Flavortown SC.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I'm pretty sure MLS and the USL are on good terms, though I could be mistaken.
Not anymore they're not.

MLS is making its own D3 league for next year, and every club with a II/B team is being pressured to join it eventually. So far there are four holdouts who say they are staying in the USL: Atlanta, LA Galaxy, NYRB, and I can't remember the fourth.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Popero posted:

Loudon (DC), and the rest are all coming after next year anyway.
That's the fourth one. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Supposedly those four are annoyed about the whole MLS D3 thing because they'd rather have their young prospects in a proper league setup instead of whatever this MLS D3 league is going to be, which is more than likely going to be a glorified academy league.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Meh.

Granted they've had excellent support for their NHL team but maybe my reaction is a leftover from me growing up at the tail end of Las Vegas still being a "THERE BE DRAGONS NEVER NEVER SET FOOT" sports market because of legalized gambling.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

July in LV.... are you kidding?
They'd probably have 8:00 PM or maybe even 9:00 PM local kickoffs for every home game during the summer, if they play somewhere other than the NFL stadium.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Allegiant Stadium is a dome. And there's 3 teams in Texas already.
TBF Las Vegas & Phoenix are different beasts because 115 in the summer is still 115 even if it isn't humid.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

When can we get some of those magic heat-blocking artificial clouds the Qatari World Cup bid advertised.
Around the same time that Rochester Rhinos bid finally comes through.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You're getting mine after I get my VANCOUVER BY A ROUGE OVER THE SOUNDERS 7/5/14 custom scarf

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Given that this is his third ACL tear, I think it's Molino himself who's cursed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Azerban posted:

I bet a team in New York would do well, especially if they had their own stadium.
And while they're at it, Cincinnati could use a team.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Time to follow the NFL's lead and push for a London expansion team imo
Tottenham Hotspur finally wins something

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deleted. What did he say?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So what you're saying, and I am shocked by this, is that Taylor Twellman was being a moron

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Mods, please rename me kickstuff@aol.com (unless that's against the rules)
It's hard to remember how dominant AOL used to be.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Doing a racism at a teammate seems like a good way to torpedo your career....and yet he's still on the team.
This statement in the second link is important...

Putna’s future at RSL remains unclear. From the statement above, it seems that the league is considering his time away from the team during the investigation to be the sum of his punishment. In theory, he could play for RSL again once he completes the diversity and inclusion training, though it is unlikely.

...as I believe he's out of contract at the end of this year. I think it's likelier that he stays away from the team for the six weeks or so until his contract is up.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/HotTimeOldTown/status/1461127160178089987

Good luck turning around that dumpster fi-...huge mess.
Still feel somewhat good for him because he's been waiting for his chance in MLS for a while. He was Sounders 2's first manager....eight years ago?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

some of the releases say they plan to have more in the future. It doesn't really make much sense unless they're using it as a backdoor path to slowly create additional divisions below MLS within the MLS structure (which is probably a good idea)
Supposedly the hope is that some of the teams in the MLS Nexxxxxxt academy league will take the step up and create pro teams for developing players in the next few years. That makes sense because that fact that the ex-Rhinos are the only non-MLS organization fielding a team in year one tells me that other senior-level independents aren't interested.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BelovedWebPatron posted:

They could've at least had the decency to keep the Rhinos name!
No bullshit: they dropped the Rhinos name because they wanted to go City Name FC in order to "re-launch ourselves as a globally-oriented brand in football" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

Interesting. That kind of looks more like mls going after college soccer's territory in effect than usl. Which, please, by all means.
Yeah. I mean the fact that they didn't poach any USL2 orgs or other semi-pro teams that were allegedly looking to move up makes me think that it's both a closed NEXXXXXXT ecosystem and that a lot of the others really don't want to play at MLS B/C teams in front of their families, friends, and some drunken diehards.