Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Here's opening MLS Cup odds (via draftkings) which is a decent enough short hand starting place for good teams and poo poo teams

quote:

Team Odds
LAFC +400
Columbus Crew +550
Seattle Sounders +600
Toronto FC +900
Orlando City +1100
Philadelphia Union +1100
NYCFC +1400
New England Revolution +1800
FC Dallas +2200
Portland Timbers +2500
Atlanta United +3000
Colorado Rapids +3300
Minnesota United +3300
New York Red Bulls +4000
Sporting KC +4000
Chicago Fire +5000
Inter Miami +5000
LA Galaxy +5000
Nashville SC +6000
Austin FC +6600
FC Cincinnati +6600
CF Montreal +8000
Real Salt Lake +10000
Vancouver Whitecaps +12500
DC United +15000
San Jose Earthquakes +15000
Houston Dynamo +20000

Minnesota is probably a bit low, cbus seems high imo

and here is 538s season opening percentages, which really does a good job of highlighting how unpredictable mls is

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/

betting on mls: an extremely good and fun idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Columbus at only a 55% chance to make the playoffs is actually insane. They won MLS cup, brought back everybody important, and then added some reinforcements in Molino and BWP

They're a far better team than Philly

i think 538 basically leans on xG a lot and Columbus outperformed their xGD by a lot in the 2020 season, so the expectation is that doesn't happen again

i think the betting odds are a bit high on them but the 538 playoff odds are a bit low

edit: although otoh philadelphia also outperformed xGD by a lot in 2020 so maybe 538 just hates Columbus

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 17, 2021

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i guess this is supposedly the new crest

i generally roll eyes about the crest/name rebranding outrage but that sure is a boring rear end crest

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

has anyone besides KC pulled off the rebrand in a way thats seen any serious uptick in attendance or support or anything? It seems like about half the league have tried basically the same thing in the last decade and other than KC i'm not sure if I can think of any team that has benefited notably. (and KC had a lot more to do with stadium presumably)

i'm mostly pretty whatever about most the changes but this is another that just seems at best, pointless

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the wizards name sucked though and it was a good change

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

whypick1 posted:

ESPN posted an interview with Howard Webb, head of PRO who oversaw VAR's initial implementation in MLS. One interesting nugget is that they want to broadcast live audio during reviews but FIFA needs to approve it, which is another, albeit minor, reason to hate FIFA.

that was interesting, it seems like the biggest difference is the hawkeye camera making offside decisions precise that is causing so much rage in european leagues, whereas mls essentially maintains a ref judgement on offside calls as offside-ish that may be more in the spirit than the letter of the rule.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

quote:

Real estate developer Ted Segal is near an agreement to purchase Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo FC for about $400 million, according to multiple people familiar with the transaction.
https://www.sportico.com/business/sales/2021/houston-dynamo-sale-1234630196/

hm, idk

hope they want to spend

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i assume at some point they did a bunch of survey research on soccer fans who dont watch mls but watch european, mexican, international or other leagues and found that goofy american team names was seen as one of the barriers for them becoming mls fans (ancedotally i remember hearing this criticism of mls for a long time from non-mls soccer fans)

which is dumb but may also be correct for a subset of potential fans

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Well sure if you're talking about teams like Tampa Bay Mutiny back in the day with the logo being a minimalistic crab holding a soccer ball, but the kinds of people who are like "ugh god the Portland TIMBERS what an amateurish Americanized name" are the kinds of drab pissants you'll never reach in a million years because they'll always find some kind of reason to bitch about the product anyway.

yeah agree, we're a long way from the 90s cheese and obviously some people will never be won over. I just meant at some point MLS changed marketing strategy from lets make soccer more like other American sports to lets make MLS more like other soccer leagues and to some extent it has probably worked on the whole, though some of the results (like changing Montreal's name) seem real dumb

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

lol miami

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Inter Miami exists to make everything else in mls seem less ridiculous by comparison and this is just really adds to that legacy

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

New England needs a new stadium a lot more than a new logo but whatever I guess

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

inter miami just keeps giving

quote:

Inter Miami striker Gonzalo Higuain has said he thought Major League Soccer would be easy enough for him to play with a "cigarette" in his mouth.

The Argentina forward, who has scored four goals in seven league games this season, said that he has been surprised by the competitiveness of MLS, comparing it to Italy's Serie A.

Speaking on Christian Vieri's Twitch channel Bobo TV, Higuain said: "I thought I would come here and play with a cigarette in my mouth and, instead, it is difficult.

"It is a tough league. I learned that it is similar to Italian football. In Spain and England it is easier to do well, while in Italy, if you do not know the league, you suffer."

Higuain joined Inter Miami from Juventus in 2020 after struggling to eight goals in 32 games for the Italian giants in his last season in Serie A.

The striker said that he decided to leave Juventus after he took advice from club legend Gianluigi Buffon.

"I couldn't find the right determination and serenity outside of football," Higuain added on why he left Serie A. "I had nothing more to give.

"A great friend of mine like Buffon told me: 'If you no longer feel that fire inside in training, if you no longer feel the determination to be at high levels, you have to go'.

"Football gave me a lot but it was time to say enough and find joy and fun and new football in a city that surprised me because it was wonderful."

Inter Miami, who are in 11th in the Eastern Conference, next face D.C. United in MLS on Sunday.

i hope miami just continues to be the retirement home for players done with europe forever while the rest of the league moves on

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

it seems like an obvious way to expand mls footprint and infrastructure and put them in a strong position to take more control over lower divisions depending on how things evolve over the coming years. its not as if USL or NASL are exactly the most stable leagues in the world and id assume in the long term more and more may come under the mls umbrella formally.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

uhhhh the NASL hasn't played a game since 2017

lol i thought there was still an ongoing attempt to bring it back (again) but i guess its actually fully dead

good move for clark

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/FelipeCar/status/1416546145053155332?s=19

Lol

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

some really fun stuff last night. the nashville hatty was nice and cincy/montreal was a fun shitshow. mls during gold cup always gets sloppy

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

2 different teams have had coaches flame out and get fired after beefing with their striker in the last 2 weeks

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Heinze was playing manager mode and just mashing whichever dialogue option would piss everyone off

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Secret good game tonight

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

LAFC has lost 6 times this season and had a better xG on 5 of them, beautiful stuff

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Vegas seems like a good place for a team but it's gotta be at allegiant (or I guess another indoor stadium In theory). Beats Sacramento

Phoenix should probably be on the list also

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the mls SKILLS CHALLENGE is tonight at 9 and it sounds like a great combination of cringe and entertainment.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2021/skills-challenge

quote:

MLS Participants:

Nani - Orlando City SC
Ricardo Pepi - FC Dallas
Rodolfo Pizarro - Inter Miami CF
Diego Rossi - LAFC
Raul Ruidiaz - Seattle Sounders FC
Lucas Zelarayán - Columbus Crew
Andre Blake - Philadelphia Union
Matt Turner - New England Revolution
Celebrity guest coaches: Cobi Jones and Noah Beck
LIGA MX Participants:

Alexis Canelo - Toluca
Rogelio Funes Mori - C.F. Monterrey
Orbelín Pineda - Cruz Azul
Jonathan Rodríguez - Cruz Azul
Rubens Sambueza - Deportivo Toluca F.C.
Diego Valdés - Santos Laguna
Alfredo Talavera - Pumas UNAM
Nahuel Guzmán - Tigres UANL
Celebrity guest coaches: Jorge Campos and Juanpa Zurita
Skills Challenge Events
The two-hour event will feature a team of eight MLS players battling eight of LIGA MX’s best in five different challenges on the Banc of California Stadium field.

Shooting Challenge presented by AT&T 5G
Players will be shooting at targets from distance with varying values as they look to rack up points for their team.

Touch Challenge presented by Old Spice
In this ultimate test of touch, players will have to collect and control balls coming at them from different angles in order to set themselves up to score points in the Old Spice apparatus.

Cross & Volley Challenge presented by AT&T 5G
Player’s creativity and skill will be on display, as they connect with a teammate to finish with style. The more style, the more points.

Passing Challenge presented by Crest
With a variety of targets spread across the pitch, players must place their passes with pinpoint accuracy to earn big points.

Crossbar Challenge presented by Gillette
As the final chance for players to earn points for their teams, this skill will test players' ability to deliver as the final seconds tick down.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

has drussi looked worth a poo poo? i havent seen any of the austin matches with him playing

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

For his first major act as new Houston Dynamo owner, Ted Segal spent a couple weeks gathering that the club is a bit of a dumpster fire and fired the GM.

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/news/houston-dynamo-fc-parts-ways-with-svp-gm-matt-jordan

quote:

The Houston Dynamo Football Club has parted ways with Senior Vice President and General Manager Matt Jordan, the Club announced today.

“After spending the last several weeks observing and evaluating a number of facets of our organization, I determined that it is in the best interest of the Club to go in a different direction with our soccer operations leadership,” said Houston Dynamo Football Club majority owner Ted Segal.

Good start.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I just hope someone got some gam or tam out of it

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Thanksgiving day game is an interesting twist. Itll get a NFL lead in on Fox also.

I'm happy with all the afternoon kickoffs

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Personally I'd prefer if everything was on espn+(both season and playoffs) but obviously wider audiences is good. Pleasantly surprised by all the broadcast coverage this year. It seems like Twitter stream will likely be the only English coverage of the first 2 playoff games though.

Hopefully the next media deal will unify on a streaming platform.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 10, 2021

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4480295/mlsliga-mx-plan-revamped-leagues-cup-in-2023-with-all-47-teams

Say hello to the backdoor mls/Liga mx merge beginning

Tbh, it sounds fun.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Can't wait to see the MLS regular season still be at 34 games despite this month long black hole in the calendar.

Yeah that seems basically impossible unless something else is changing.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

The league pause obviously brings up other scheduling concerns but I do think that will help position this competition as important enough to care about and not just the newest version of midweek games for mls teams that don't have the depth to rotate.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its pretty funny that 7 of the 8 top spending teams (based on wages from earlier this season, a few like austin are probably out of date) in MLS are currently out of the playoffs, and the 8th is LA Galaxy, who are sinking like a rock after a good start. We're also now at fired coaches in 3 of those 8, and i'd guess Bradley isn't at LAFC next year at least.

quote:

wage bill in millions:
Inter Miami 17.80
Toronto FC 17.01
Galaxy 16.84
Atlanta United 16.18
FC Cincinnati 15.5
Los Angeles FC 14.93
Chicago Fire 13.63
Columbus Crew 13.5
Sporting KC 13.46
New York City FC 12.99
Montreal 12.64
Seattle Sounders FC 12.16
Portland Timbers 11.94
Nashville SC 11.51
New England Revolution 11.41
Orlando City SC 11.33
FC Dallas 10.66
Real Salt Lake 10.52
Minnesota United 10.45
D.C. United 10.32
New York Red Bulls 10.17
San Jose Earthquakes 10.15
Colorado Rapids 10.06
Houston Dynamo 9.53
Philadelphia Union 9.34
Austin FC 9.14
Vancouver Whitecaps 8.7

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

That sounds dumb and potentially really funny

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

hi MLS thread. As an american getting into soccer late in life, should I start with MLS, Liga MX, or Premier (or whatever euro league)?

this is the mls thread so youre mostly gonna get pro mls and local soccer responses. Others hit those points so heres a couple other things id want to know

Yes, the big (England, Spain, Italy, Germany) European leagues generally have better players than MLS. The most promising MLS players will often look to move to European leagues. Their payrolls are several times higher. This is especially the case at the top end - most European leagues have 1-5 "big teams" that basically dominate every year and throw massive amounts of money around. The highest skilled players in the world will mostly play for around 15-25 big European teams, spread mostly across those 4 leagues. Since you mentioned MMA - the gap is comparable to UFC vs Bellator or One Championship - there are obviously boring ufc fights and good bellator fights and in a similar manner MLS has a handful of higher paid, bigger name players.

The flip side of that is MLS has a poo poo ton of parity, whereas the big european leagues decidedly do not. Right now the English Premier League is basically a 3 team race for the title after 2 months. Bayern Munich has a 90% chance to win Bundesliga after 9 games. Meanwhile the highest odds in MLS are New England at 22%, with 10 days left in the season, and every team that makes the playoffs has a real chance to win MLS cup. Some of that is structure (playoffs), a lot of it just that MLS has far more parity than almost every soccer league in the world.

There is also the European "Champions League", which is the best teams from each European league playing each other in a tournament during the season. Its on paramount+, and often has some of the top matches you'll see in the sport.

I don't see any reason you would want to start wth Liga MX unless you have some pre-existing attachment. Its a notch above MLS (for now), but far behind the big European leagues, its less accessible than MLS and if you want to watch English language coverage, it will be lacking.

When do you want to watch games (assuming its live)? European leagues will primarily be on weekend mornings and weekday afternoons - kickoffs range from 7am ET to 3pm ET. By contrast, MLS is primarily going to be weekend evenings and weekday(especially Wednesday) evenings and some late at night. If either of those don't work for you, that narrows it down.

The MLS season ends in about 10 days, with playoffs to come. The good news is that should mean some entertaining matches are upcoming, but its also not an easy time to latch onto a team since the offseason looms. European leagues are around 25% into their season and run until roughly May.

International soccer (as in National teams) is a different beast and is often the easiest entry point for Americans - the U.S. national team is currently in world cup qualifying and the next world cup is Winter 2022. Players play on both their national team and on club teams in league play. Most of the best American players currently play in various European Leagues. Most international play is specific monthish long tournaments and qualifying happens on scheduled dates when leagues do not play.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 26, 2021

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/WhitecapsFC/status/1453566663257993219?s=19

Checks out

Edit:

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 28, 2021

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Cutting the midweek games down is very good news

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

BelovedWebPatron posted:

I didn't realize that the Galaxy didn't drop out of the top 7 in the West until literally the end of last weekend. They may have played like five minutes total all year beneath the playoff line considering how late that Kreilach goal came

Yeah I had both matches on and it ruled, classic decision day moment. Galaxy really quietly sucked after a decent start this season.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

and here is 538s season opening percentages, which really does a good job of highlighting how unpredictable mls is

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/
Pre-playoff update!

Vancouver the longest odds to make the playoffs, at only 11% preseason
LAFC, at 88% to make the playoffs preseason, missed. Betting odds also severely overrated LAFC during the entire season. Most models and odds are driven by xG or something similar , so heres some xG notes -

LAFC finished 1st in the west and 2nd in the league in expected goal difference at +21 (+2 actual GD)
Top of the league in xGD was NYCFC at +26 xGD (+20 actual GD).
Largest xGD overperformance was Sporting KC - xGD of +1 (+17 actual GD)
KC, New England, Seattle, Vancouver, Nashville and Portland all outperformed expected GD by 10 goals or more
The only playoff team to underperform expected GD by -7 or worse is Minnesota (+7 xGD, -2 actual) - NYCFC underperformed by 6, no other playoff team underperformed xGD. Maybe taking your chances (or making really good saves) is generally a good idea if you want to make the playoffs.

Maybe Minnesota has been unlucky and is better than they look. Maybe they can't loving finish. xG :shrug: LAFC is hilarious regardless. More xG nerd poo poo here https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/what-expected-goal-numbers-reveal-about-the-2021-mls-standings

Also, gamblin odds on MLS cup - https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-cup-2021-odds-see-how-the-playoff-field-shapes-up

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

BelovedWebPatron posted:

That is on the same day of the last UNC/Duke basketball game w/ Coach K, I wonder if that will affect how big of an impact this game makes. I know Charlotte's far away from the NC university triangle but I'm sure there's a big alumni-base there, and I have to imagine that'll take up a ton of air in the news in North Carolina that weekend.

I assume it is on purpose and the plan is to use unc/Duke as a TV lead in on espn. It looks like it's scheduled a couple hours later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I like how every one of them is eliminated or suspended

These playoffs rule so much. I'm team RSL lifting the trophy at Yankee stadium