Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mice and Murder also rocks just for watching Sam and Rekha go full ham. Bloodkeep is a great entry and I really love Unsleeping City

I couldn't get into Mice and Murder on my first attempt (it has some rough pandemic remote tech issues IMO,) but absolutely loved it on my second attempt. Rekha is absolutely the star, and holy crap it ramps up so good at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I've never been a big fan of Noise Boys, but the smartest thing they did (and hopefully Make Some Noise does) was make sure there are three different types of humor represented. So while Josh and Brennan's talents don't grab me, I'll absolutely watch Zac be the funniest one there while saying the least of the three.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Magitek posted:

It’s totally worth it. Sophomore Year is the best overall season of D20, imo. The fact it was filmed live is the perfect counter-argument whenever someone claims that the show is edited and therefore rigged.

Freshman year holds a special place in my heart since it was the first D20 thing I saw, but I have to admit that sophomore year is better in almost every way, and has a majority of my favorite D20 bits and moments. But I'm still bummed out that the finale had to be virtual.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Dunno if everyone already gets the newsletter but they're giving away the old minis from Dimension 20. No details yet but curious how they'll do it.

If they do that for charity (or money,) they will get lots of it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The original Fantasy High figurines will sell for around the yearly GDP of Wyoming.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lou and Emily's characters are very very very good.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Off Book with Zach and Jess and Money trailer dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzbu8ojDPx0

I have never been more excited.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

weekly font posted:

Play It By Ear is extremely not for me, but if you are someone whom it is for, you're going to love it.

"Welcome to Mountport" is my favorite thing Dropout has ever done, and I listen to basically every episode of Off Book. I really really disliked the first episode of Play it By Ear. There's just too much; too many people, too many characters, too much direction given, too much stage. I'm really bummed as the issues I have with it don't appear to be issues that are likely to change between episodes.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

weekly font posted:

I took a peak at the Dropout Discord for the first time ever and just lmao what a dumpster.

What makes a good vs. a bad discord? I had a look and it seems like it's just the normal circle jerk that you get from most online communities.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

weekly font posted:

I guess? There’s not very appealing. Spewing memes and solo liveposting into a void makes a discord of entirely white noise. I also noticed they were relentlessly dogpiling anyone with anything remotely critical of Play It.

I do really like how transparent Sam is though.

Yeah that makes sense. Just wasn't sure if there was something especially egregious I was missing.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

the new Play It By Ear is very good. clicked all the way through for me in a way that the first one didn’t.

It's drastically better than the first. Still not hitting as much as I wished it was, but much better.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Jesus, that's absolutely brutal.

I would not wish chronic pain on anyone. I'm always so torn on how to feel about all of the unproven medicine that goes on in the area, because whatever helps the person find relief (like a mold detox) is great, but so much of it is just quackery that takes advantage of people completely desperate for help.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The second most unhinged CH/Dropout show returns! (Nothing will ever beat Total Forgiveness.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That episode was really long, but also easily the best first episode of any DND campaign I've ever watched.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

MikeJF posted:

New Game Changer confirms long time theory that Dropout is just a long con excuse to torture Grant O'Brien.

Oh god, it’s worse than I could ever imagine.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The thing that blows me away is that, based on my understanding of the production of the show, Brennan probably had a day or two (at most) to figure out how to handle this while still holding to the production plans and realities of making a show (maps, figurines, schedule, etc…)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I finally committed the time to watch the Lou Adventuring Academy and god drat if the second half of that isn't the most unhinged thing I've ever watched.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Murph and Emily have set the rule, you're allowed to participate in two actual plays, but no more than that. (For all I know they actually do more. I'm just making stuff up.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The latest Game Changer is yet another Improv thing that I didn't know existed, and am in total awe of. (Although I would say it's more impressive than it is enjoyable.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

tsob posted:

I had a weird realization last week, because after seeing yet another video of Brennan's breakdown about figuring out Sam's game on YouTube, I went to watch the episode because I could never quite remember the rest of the episode; and I think I never actually saw the episode prior to last week. I just watched the original clip at some point on YouTube, and then became kind of Mandela effected and just assumed I'd seen the episode. So I've watched about half a dozen different cuts of the rant in various forms, be it just the clip itself, an audio only cut, an animated one by DeepBlueInk etc. It's still a lot of fun even watching it after the fact, but it's pretty obvious when Brennan has it figured out and has to act along, because he stops trying to figure out the rules every round and even seems a little put out that he has to keep playing along.

They've spoken at length about this across various other shows, in the discord, etc.... Yeah, he knew what the deal was by the 4th round or so. The rule was you had to go backstage to make your official guess, and Sam would never let him go back stage to make the guess. Honestly, I think it works even better knowing that the episode is really about intentionally torturing Brennan in the most effective way possible, and everyone (including) Brennan realizing that.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

There is a segment in the latest Gamechanger that is basically designed to be Brennan's Kobayashi Maru.

It is genuinely amazing. It goes from "They are screwing Brennan over again, that's not exactly fair" to "It's perfectly fair, and he blew it."

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

Still slowly going through various backlogs but at this point, Sam Says 2 might well be my favorite Game Changer episode so far. Especially for that ending :allears:

I'm very intrigued by what the cut for time version of that ending is going to be. It's going to either be Ally's "Go" wasn't actually that crazy, or it was way crazier than they showed.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

tsob posted:

The "Name That Bird" challenge has been immortalized in YouTube form. Which I've watched a dozen or more times in the last few days since I found it. I think I appreciate Katie's faces as much as anything else in the video.

I think she's trying not to crack up at Brennan's obvious frustrations. That aside, I do want an answer to Brennan's final question in the round: "Did his heart rate break at a certain bird? Or right away"? There's also a behind the scenes video about the episode up on Dropout, where we find out that Brennan was a last minute addition to the line up, after Raph dropped out and man, it's hard to imagine that game without Brennan. Raph is great, but this challenge seemed almost tailor made for Brennan.

Raph's doppelganger was just a hotter Raph, absolutely crazy.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Rick Perry (And team I assume?) is absolutely incredible. This season's layouts, minis/maxis, and design have all been unbelievably great.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pleads posted:

This second ep of Game Changer is phenomenal. Absolutely top tier.

With perhaps the biggest bummer ever.

Spoilers for both the second episode of the bachelor Game Changer episodes, and spoiler for just terrible news that you may not want to know.
Abel passed away before the Cabo trip happened.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That's not Murph. (I have to assume at this point that the fact that Murph hasn't DM'ed a D20 show is a choice on his part.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The end of Mice and Murder really shits the bed. :itwaspoo:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think I’ll give WBN a couple more episodes but at the moment Erica is playing “Make every moment an after school special” Dungeons and Dragons that I’m not a fan of. Lou’s character in an unfair but interesting scene? Better chime in “Don’t be mean to my friend! I’ll now describe what I think the end result of your character’s growth should be.”

And it’s very very pretentious. I think I need a larger percentage of comedy in my actual plays.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

tsob posted:

I would definitely be down for an episode of Game Changer where the entire cast of Dropout are watching from the green room and taunting as Sam suddenly finds himself in Brennan's game; especially if Sam thinks he's starting a normal game with Brennan as a guest, and Brennan suddenly turns it around and the crew reveal he's worked it out with them beforehand.

I would prefer a Brooklyn 99 style double twist. Brennan is allowed to design the game to get back at Sam. Production tells everything to Sam and Sam creates a counter plan to still defeat Brennan.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

tsob posted:

Is this the first time Tao has been on a Dropout show in a while? I don't remember seeing him on anything in the last year or two, though I don't watch everything. I also don't recognize a couple of the people there: Vic and Anna at all, and even Jacob has only been on a few things I've seen, though I've quite enjoyed him those few times to be fair. Is Dropout doing well enough for Sam to hire on more new people now on a permanent basis I wonder?

My understanding is that basically none of the on-screen talent are employees of the company. They are actors/comedians being hired for gigs. Then they generally film a few different shows in the time that they are there for.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The end of this weeks episode of Never After is an all timer. What a cursed man.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

A Battle Royals prediction I’ve had since it was announced:

I’m confident enough that I’m putting it in spoiler tags.

Beardsley wins. The extra info about the ending of Sam Says is the fact that they used their plane ticket to anywhere in the world to go to NYC.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Magitek posted:

This week’s Adventuring Party is particularly unhinged

Captions: (Lou laughs so hard he starts coughing)

An all time classic. "No one wants Pinocchio to find where the white women are at more than me!"

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mice and Murder was really the only pandemic thing I was able to get into.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Neverafter has been on the lower end of Intrepid Heroes seasons for me, but the Adventuring Parties make up for it.

I think Pinnochio, Gerard, and the absolutely incredible battle maps have saved the season from being on the lower end for me.

The battle maps alone are just beyond incredible. The dogfish is going to sell for so much at it's eventual auction.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

If I were to guess the filming scheduling for a dimension 20 season is done over a longish weekend, maybe 5-6 consecutive film days at most with the traditional thing tv does when they film a ton of episodes back-to-back where everyone has like 7-8 “default” outfits that they change into after every episode to spread the illusion that time has passed on filming. Figure 20-25ish filming hours, plus hair/makeup/breaks for bathroom and eating adding let’s say another 6-8 hours to total filming time per season, plus, I dunno, another ten or so hours per filmed season for stuff like shifting out backgrounds and “set” changes, plus another couple of hours for stuff that is filmed but then cut because it’s all mechanical stuff like looking up rules or plotting a turn or Brennan having to move figurines around, etc, then also let’s say another 5-10 hours for adventuring party filming. Let’s figure a good 50-60 real time hours that need to be spent to produce a full intrepid heroes season. That can easily be done in the space of 3-4 days if they do like 18 hour workdays which, to be honest, it kind of sounds like they do. I dunno if D20 is a union gig for their cinematographers et al (makeup artists, boom operators, lighting, etc), but assuming it isn’t because it seems like they just wouldn’t be able to afford hiring union, it definitely makes 16-18 hour workdays during season filming sound more plausible. Lou especially has the Jimmy Kimmel gig which probably pays way way way more than anything Dropout can offer, so I bet the only way it works out schedule-wise for him is having him film on weekends (maybe fridays and weekends assuming her can pre-record his intros on Fridays and his writing help isn’t as necessary for the Friday show) with the assumption of just cramming in as much filming as can realistically be done in that short of a time frame.

All this is to say that I bet for intrepid heroes seasons guest stars are functionally impossible to have. Imagine being hired on as a guest star for that season and being told you’re just gonna wait in a green room for 14 hours until you do your 2-3 hour filmed gig, and then having to do that maybe two or three more times if you’re a recurring guest character on the season.

Every number in this post is wildly wrong.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Howie savagely destroying Adam's (admittedly bad) stand-up by only complimenting Ify was absolutely wonderful.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I am totally shocked that my guess was wrong.

What an amazing episode. Everyone rules. The messages from family bit was somehow the most unhinged thing in an episode that was just insane the whole way through.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Vic should have won pottery. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The videos from "family members" are some of my favorite things that Game Changer has ever done. It's completely harmless and funny while making me uncomfortable in my soul. It strikes me as a Nathan Fielder bit but less insane.