Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jaxts posted:

I decided to subscribe, and I know about D20, um actually, and the other shows people talk about.

What are the hidden gems? There's a lot of content here.

Escape from the Bloodkeep is a pretty great little miniseries- It's like Weird Lord of the Rings from the perspective of the bad guys. It's got some great gags, but doesn't overstay it's welcome. His take on Not-Aragorn is Stalker, Ranger King of the Himbos was hillarious and he gets killed off before the gag gets old, for example.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Matt Mercer's Witch-King of Angmar knockoff is absolutely hilarious with his ineptitude.

But he actually has an arc and winds up doing some really cool poo poo by the end of it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
With Crit Role being done for their current campaign I've been going back and watching some of the other D&D games on here and I started on Fantasy high and goddamn I'm shocked how talented Brennan is at this.

I just finished the episode where they ended in the old Mithril factory. I'm loving loving how all the parents have been personified. I wound up getting spoiled on Gilear so I kind of know his arc, but it's hillarious just to see first hand the party taking pity on him.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea incredibly hype for that, fun Dimension 20 take on Hogwarts, great cast, Brenan playing for once, Aabria running the show, all fantastic news. I was kinda hoping for more Crown of Candy because I was pretty sure they'd do a 'sequel' after Mice and Murder but boy was I glad to be wrong

The Summer of Traditional DMs what get to be players on their own show.

Also that looks like an amazing lineup. Erika Ishii has been a great player in everything I've seen her in.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tsob posted:

I've only seen her in Escape from the Bloodkeep, but she was fantastic as not!Shelob in that, one part proud but weird mom to one part drunk aunt who's everyone's best friend. I'm really looking forward to seeing her in this because she was so good in Bloodkeep, along with Brennan as a player. I'm really hoping the fact Aabria is back on D20 means that there's more Pirates of Leviathan in the wings at some point however. The first season of it was fantastic, and I'd love to see more of it at some point.

You ought to go watch the Geek and Sundry Vampire game she's in. It's pretty melodramatic (it is a Vampire the Masquerade game in fact) but she does kill it in that.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 18, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

seaborgium posted:

The whole Kelmp thing is amazing, and the season seems to be heading towards attacking and dethroning the powers that be in the wizarding world. The character interactions have all been amazing. I really want more episodes of this one.

Kelmp is incredibly compelling and if I had to guess he's possessed by a demon given the whole Cobra Blood as a somewhat normal occurrence thing. I love all the character interactions and how they vibe with each other. Kelmp is a lot to deal with both with his personality and with the narrative of the story - but they give everyone else time to do their thing too. If it was just Brennan becoming increasingly more unhinged with no counterbalance I don't think I'd be as interested.

I did get Dropout the other day to watch Misfits and the more recent D20 stuff. I did get a laugh when I watched the post-Bloodkeep episode of Adventuring Academy with Matt, Trapp, and Rekha. I laughed my rear end off when Brennan casually mentioned that since Hamhead was a tertiary objective who's only real goal in the volcano battle was to leave, Brennan gave her the statblock of a storm giant as a goof, not expecting her to be the crux of the first half of the story. It wasn't until Matt said "... but then I see Hamhead..." that he realized how incredible the result was going to be.

So now that I've got Dropout I'm going to start working my way through d20 stuff and the newer Breaking News and Game changers. What else should I be lookin at while I'm here. Any of the podcasts worth getting into?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 13, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jaxts posted:

I think my favorite moment so far of Misfits is Brennan's slow sad look ahead when Kelmp is asked if he has a best friend.

There is great interplay between the high energy exuberance of Jammer and Sam, Kelmp saying things that are extremely sad and/or cursed, and Dream oscillating rapidly between deciding if she wants to be mean or horny at the latter.

Edit speaking of Kelmp, new short up. https://youtu.be/K-3vXHCEzEk

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 14, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Looks like a new Breaking News filtered down to the Youtube channel for people that don't have Dropout. Another one of Amy being Amy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8gl7q_ohk

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Watched a bit of Misfits & Magic Episode 3 when I was on my lunch break. The interactions between Jammer and Kelmp continue to be the best. Evan telling the kid that Jammer was going to dribble him down the classroom like his basketball was absolutely hillarious.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Watching the last episode of M&M now. I love that Dream goes full Disney Princess for the last episode.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

seaborgium posted:

I just loved the line "What would you like me to tell your family?" Followed by the whole competing school packing up and just noping out of the tournament.

Yeah that really calm "You should drop out. You got about 90 seconds before I unmake you. What would you like me to tell your parents?" followed by him literally sending that kid to hell was absolutely amazing. Goddamn Brennan can be menacing and it really hammers home how horrifying someone who specialized in cursed attack magic would be.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Lou’s ability as hypeman is unparalleled. What a treasure of a human.

He's never really played Bard on screen has he? He'd be great for that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Moreau posted:

I've just started with Dimension 20. I powered thru Bloodkeep and I've started on Adventure High now. Brennan is just the best personification of 'Yes And', but the whole College Humour crew is amazing

'Yes and' is pretty much the only reason Gilear happens at all in fantasy high, funnily enough. It's amazing how quick the group adopted him.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Holy poo poo, I'm about halfway through Crown of Candy and Jesus Christ, Brennan is out for blood.

Siobhan crying "are we getting red - wedding-ed?" when they got ambushed by Ciobatta really got to me.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The World Inferno posted:

They aren't wrong, but it's definitely a byproduct of Brennan designing a character with such a huge character trait. It's interesting that if they noticed it happening at the end of episode three, wonder what different decisions were made about what happened in the fourth. I'd be curious to read how he wrote it, sucks that he felt the need to take it down.

Also hell yeah new season!

It helps that Evan also had so many quotable one-liners. Like, when I think about the moments and lines that really stand out - the majority of them are Evan and / or Jammer riffing off each other. Sam and Dream had their moments too ("We don't know you!") but I feel like Evan kind of dominates the show more or less by virtue of the charisma of the guy driving him.

For what its worth, I feel like this contrasts well with the current campaign in Critical Role, where Aabria is also DMing and Matt Mercer is getting to be a player. Matt basically steals every scene he's in from kind of the opposite direction because Matt's character is a bumbling incompetent himbo chad sorcerer who's dice are about as cursed as they were when he was in Bloodkeep. But at the same time, because he's a member of a larger group who all have these big personalities there is plenty shenanigans that everyone gets up to.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think probably the biggest mistake was having Sam, Jammer, and Dream all have these extremely normal high school kid backgrounds before the start of the game, and Evan having this huge complicated backstory where he was already exposed to magic and cursed as gently caress without getting into any of the nonmagical poo poo in his background. Like, it probably should of began and ended with "Homeless orphan living out of a summer camp". When you add the evil shadow and the talking to dead animals and the other stuff he talked about in the post-game show (like how he spent a couple years in a militia camp) it's just kind of too much - and a lot of it is stuff that when it comes out naturally in character dialogue it becomes one of those things everyone needs to stop and unpack in character.

Part of the above may also be just a side effect of a PC being made by a DM too. At a certain point the desire to build the story is strong in long-time DMs.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 29, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Oh god, my phone just rung in with a notification for a new Breaking News: True Facts About Grant Anthony O'Brian (Part 2). I had to stop everything I was doing and watch it right away.

Edit: It does not disappoint

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 11, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jaxts posted:

Every episode has one thing that was done by Grant and it's worth double points. But if you guess Grant and you're wrong you lose points.

I unironically love this idea.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I sat down and shotgunned through The Seven last weekend and holy poo poo it was so good. Every Scene with the Penny and the Society of Shadows guy made me laugh so hard I cried.

I don't like to directly compare Dimension 20 to Critical Role for a lot of reasons, they really do different things - but I feel like D20 is much easier to pick up and watch. Say what you will, it's a lot less daunting to sit down and watch through a 8-16 episode series with a definitive start and stop, than say, preparing myself to go watch CR Campaign One for 115 episodes.

Also goddamn can Brennan get you right in the feels for what is ostensibly a comedy game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Cross-Posting from the CR thread - Brennan is going to be DMing an Exandria Unlimited run with Aabria and Lou Wilson included as players. Based on the trailer it sounds like it's a villains game. I'm loving stoked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QMiGD2offs

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Re: D20 seasons to cut your teeth on, ss people have said blood keep is pretty great. If you want to try a mainline season that's a bit more approachable as someone who doesn't watch long plays, I think The Unsleeping City or Starstruck are probably the easiest to get into for people who aren't already fans. And aren't as dependent on knowing plot from other series or seasons

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
If anyone wants to see more Brennan as a player, Aabria did a pseudo sequel of her Strixhaven one shot featuring the good Citizen Doctor again.

https://youtu.be/eDi0TZidQ4c

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tsob posted:

Oh poo poo, that was the one where they pledged to make a "daddy ending" if they got a certain amount; I completely forgot to check up on that. I'll have to watch it at some point; thanks for reminding me.

Edit: drat, I forgot just how choatic the first 7 minutes of the original episode were. Aabria screaming "SHUT UP! I'M TRYING TO START THE GAME" across everyone as they natter about daddies, zaddies, using digimon to explain what zaddies are etc. is amazing.

This one also will apparently have a secret ending too involving this fine fellow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjwe8t1_Ww

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It's a incredibly high chaos crew, so it's entertaining. The first episode is only an hour long too, and will give you a good feel for what you're dealing with.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Jasmine is great, she ran Battle For Beyond with Brennan, Erika, and Aabria and it absolutely slaps. https://youtu.be/IS0irydy0y8

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Slowly turning into an animal crossing character in real time was probably my favorite last episode. It probably would of been the MacBeth of they hadn't pulled out for the trailer.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

seaborgium posted:

It looks interesting as hell though. Wasn't a huge fan of the Jane Austen season, so this will be a nice change.

Fay And Flowers was pretty good for a combat-light season. My one thought was that I didn't necessarily think it needed to be done as 5e. I think they probably could of done it in like a PBTA system like Monsterhearts or the like and potentially made for a more interesting dynamic with how PBTA handles social encounters and influence.

Edit: for example of Monsterhearts, see also the Critical Role MH oneshot with Ally Beardsley and Erika Ishii: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ykIVq9KcM&t=17s

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 13, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I still really like A Crown of Candy despite the obvious rushing toward the end. Saccharina was fine as a character, but because she came in so late she basically had to be the focus of the narrative - doubly so when she was going around wrecking shop in every encounter.

I do still hope we get Unsleeping City season 3, I want to see more of Cody being the worst thing to happen to Ricky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HlSxG41siU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NieR Occomata posted:

I’ve never seen a d20 season that was done remotely (outside of the end of fantasy high season 2 and that really suffered even then). Are any of them good? It just seems like the face to face interactions are so crucial to making D20 work.

Unsleeping City season 2 is absolutely baller. Cody was sent from hell to kill Ricky in an extremely hilarious manner.

https://youtu.be/_d5tm6VgUVI

https://youtu.be/zg5cw-y0wF4

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 17, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My understanding is that basically none of the on-screen talent are employees of the company. They are actors/comedians being hired for gigs. Then they generally film a few different shows in the time that they are there for.

IIRC if they are directing / producing their respective shows (like brennan is for d20, and I think Trapp / Lily for their respective shows) they are capital E employed by dropout rather than just being contractors since they are also doing logistical planning and stuff outside of the days of the shoot.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tsob posted:

I want to see Amy try Katie's technique of just dropping into the flattest possible affectation while talking, and just droning. I don't think it's the kind of thing that'd work for everyone, but it demonstrably works for Katie and I'm curious how successful it'd be for Amy. It has to be more successful than Amy's own technique, which lasted what...1 second? Less?

Or do the thing Katie did in the "actually we meet before" episode and just cry while improving how she met people.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

8one6 posted:

I think this is it right here.

Just hosed up fairy tales where the wicked stepmother/gander/baba yaga has become cuthulu or whatever as a tight 10 episode horror thing would have been better.

A meta-comedy thing where they explore the differences between the various versions of the well known fairy tales with them Gumby-ing in and out of the books would have been fun to watch.

Combining them has made this season a real slog to watch and having like eight factions just bloated every lore dump.

Starstruck was also like a giant multi faction clusterfuck and it wound up being one of their strongest seasons. The 6-way finale fight was amazing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eke out posted:

just do the very first season, fantasy high

Fantasy high is great, season one of the Unsleeping City is also phenominal.

For something a lot more lightweight and easy to get through, Escape from the Bloodkeep is short and sweet, though it's using explicitly high level characters so there's a lot of what the gently caress if you're not use to high level D&D shenanigans.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

scary ghost dog posted:

mercers season is a crown of candy prequel lol

Unironically hyped as gently caress about it.

Players are Lou, Zac, Aabria, Brennan, and Anjali Bhimani. Should be rad as hell.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

bunnyofdoom posted:

No Radish. He explicitly said radish/

Even better, a radish cleric. Bulbian church represent.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Holy poo poo ravening war episode 3 is intense. That ambush worked so well, but nobody walked away from that one feeling good. The look on Brennan's face when he got his HDYWTDT and watching his face sink was just, oof.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CK07 posted:

Question about one of the new things introduced in ep 3 referenced above: Is Fungusland a Mercer invention? I feel like Brennan could easily have been so concerned with surface and heavenly dealings that he never thought about having a whole symbiotic society belowground.

In the adventuring party, Brennan mentioned the fungus and rot people were written into the ACOC story and the party back then just never went for any of the hooks that would of brought them in. If I had to guess they would be the equivalent of Greyscale lepers in game of thrones the ACOC gang could of encountered had they gone underground when either fleeing the capital or fleeing the castle after Cruller's betrayal.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 30, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CK07 posted:

Oh huh, I missed that part of the AP entirely I guess!! Was that for the most recent ep?

If it wasn't this last AP episode, I know for sure he's talked about it somewhere before.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’ve canceled my dropout subscription and will be switching to Dropout America. Thanks Sam! (There’s a new Breaking News.)

The revenge of Grant showing strong in this episode. That he got Sam to call a truce is hillarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Semi-Related: If anyone needs a fix of more Brennan Lee Mulligan DMing, Worlds Beyond Number is a few episodes deep and it's really, really good. It's played quite a bit more serious compared to D20 though.