Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is something wrong with me? Tried watching play it by ear, and I dunno, I just bounced off it hard

Didn't take for me, either.

Noise Boys didn't really take either :/.

I'm still making my way through Nevermore, and really enjoying it. I like the longer season. It didn't grab me the first couple episodes but now I'm fully in. Everyone is good, as always, but Lou's Pinocchio, godamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It is crazy how much you can make if you're one of the top podcasts. NADDPOD pulls in 80-205k a month according to graphtreon. That's 960k-1.6 mil a year.

I'd be surprised if Dropout has dozens of full time employees though. I'd bet the actual Dropout staff is pretty small, and then all the production folks and talent are contracted per show.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You also can’t just like, walk up to a private company and say “I will be buying some please”.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Overcast is a good option for iOS podcast listening.

gently caress spotify.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

New season of D20 looks sick, really excited for it :getin:

I’m happy to see Freddie Wong in the (figurative) geodesic dome and I really hope it eventually leads to an all Dungeons & Daddies season of D20. Anthony has been on Um, Actually (as has Freddie) so hopefully they’re on their way to making that happen someday sooner rather than later

The 6th player would probably be either Ashly Burch or Jimmy Wong, but I would die of happiness if they tagged in one of the Hey Riddle Riddle crew instead :swoon:

I wonder whether the Daddies brand of chaos would fit into a Brennan DMd campaign. I'm not sure it would?

(I stopped listening early in season 2 though, so maybe things are different?)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I went back and started A Crown of Candy, and holy poo poo I didn’t realize this was the Hardcore season. It’s so stressful. I’m on episode 8 and it feels like it’s setting up another near TPK. Also starting to worry that Zac is just gone for the rest of the season, which would be a bummer.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Awkward Davies posted:

I went back and started A Crown of Candy, and holy poo poo I didn’t realize this was the Hardcore season. It’s so stressful. I’m on episode 8 and it feels like it’s setting up another near TPK. Also starting to worry that Zac is just gone for the rest of the season, which would be a bummer.

Wow, what an insane episode. I appreciate how at this point in the season the cast is matching Brennan's ruthlessness. Emily stabbing Stilton Curdeau, knocking him into the water, and then following it up with a second attack to drive him even deeper underwater to ensure his death, in particular. Ice cold. Then of course the cold blooded murder of the two remaining attackers who surrendered.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 5, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is Adventuring Party worth watching alongside Dimension 20?

I feel medium about them. I think there’s a few too many in the cast for there to really be a good flow of conversation. I subscribe to the NADDPOD Patreon and the Short Rests are great because it’s the four of them talking about the episode and spiraling out into lots of bits. That doesn’t happen as much on the Adventuring Parties IMO.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ugh I just finished ep 8 of A Crown of Candy. Reading the threads on Reddit about it. It seems like the rest of the season is just as brutal. Should I just give up now? I really do not like this genre.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

If you're not enjoying a season you're allowed to stop!

Very light spoilers: There are parts I would consider to be more upsetting than what has happened so far remaining in the rest of the season from where you're at.

The tone starts to shift closer towards the end of the season.

More explicit specific spoilers you should not click unless you don't care: There's a real gut punch in episode 9, then the tension slowly dissipates.

I hosed up, I just finished episode 9, “Safe Harbor”. So, I know what you mean about the gut punch. If things improve from there I’ll probably finish it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It makes sense. The company was going to cease to exist when Sam took over. And then Covid happened. He would have been extremely limited in the type of content he could make.

It’s insane that he’s been so successful, period.

Also, I got curious how much Sam used to appear in sketches in the CollegeHumor days, so I went looking on YouTube and stumbled on this video: https://youtu.be/6nUk3UzVRPs?si=Rk2qvTegaNfh7cs9.

He looks so different now. I guess some intense food allergies will do that to you. Also contains some good Sam trivia: he was an extra in GTA: San Andreas. He says “you can beat me up on a golf course”.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You’re hornier than you ever have been and ever will be with no outlet. You’ve just started shaving, or at least think you should be shaving if you’re a guy. You lack all common sense and good judgement.

Seems like a perfect time to shave your pubes to me.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NieR Occomata posted:

Seeing Caldwell in the trailer puts me one step closer to NADDPOD on D20

I feel like I’ve brought up the lack of Jake on Dropout before, but dang I want him on Gamechanger

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

You know, I was trying to think of what Jake might love that Brennan has no interest in so they could compete in an episode or something but now it's just making me think that I want an episode where Brennan is given forewarning on an "Um...Actually" episode that it'll be about a specific sport of some kind and a bet he can't win it or something and he has one week or one month to crunch on that sport before competing with two actual fans to see if he can out trivia them. I don't even know off the top of my head if Jake is into sports, though I know he's mentioned working out and surfing in non-main episodes before, but god I want to see Brennan try to mainline something like hockey or boxing to try and win some dumbass prize.

I guess bringing Jake into Um, Actually for an animorphs specific episode would be too mean

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kiminewt posted:

I don't know who this Jake is but I would quadruple my Dropout subscription to get an Animorphs Um Actually episode.

A different person I would like to see on a Dropout show though is Shayne Topp from iCarly. Even if he laughs too much.

To add to the other poster: Jake Hurwitz is a CollegeHumor alum. He co-founded the Headgum Podcast network, which features the actual play podcast “Not Another D&D Podcast” (or “NADDPOD”). NADDPOD stars Brian Murphy, Emily Axford, Caldwell Tanner and Jake. Obviously Murph and Emily are OG Dimension 20 stars. Caldwell is involved with Dropout through a number of their shows. Jake, as far as I know, hasn’t been involved with Dropout since it was dumped by IAC and Sam took over.

NADDPOD started the same year as D20, so it’s been around for a while. They were fairly high on the Patreon rankings at some point (very successful, in other words), I’m not sure where they sit now.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Watched it tonight and thought it was pretty good. The snappy editing made it really move.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
D20 is mostly not fantasy in the “it’s the Middle Ages and there’s a wizard with a big grey beard” sense. Fantasy High (the first season) is a semi contemporary setting, but with magic and monsters and D&D stuff. It’s set in an “adventuring academy”, so high school for the stereotypical adventuring party. Unsleeping City (2nd season) is contemporary New York, but there’s a magical world underneath.

I’m an OG d20 cast person, so I’d say start with Fantasy High.

D&D is basically just improv with rules.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

I got dropout for game changer, breaking news and make some noise tbh.

Stayed for Dirty Laundry too.

That being said I enjoy D20. I am currently halfway through unsleeping city 1 and uh....this may be a hot take but I enjoy it more than Fanatasy High season 1. I like the more dramatic and less humorous take. Yes there is a ton of humour but like they play the drama a lot better and with more pathos.

I agree. I think it’s better. It feels like they took it more seriously. It’s my favorite season, I think.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

hey, could anyone sell me on Crown of Candy? I know it's a really popular season but GoT-style political intrigue doesn't interest me, does it pick up later or should I just watch something else.

I’m on the last episode and it is just brutal.

Spoilering just in case, but I’m just describing the season:

I found it pretty stressful, especially the first 9 episodes. Episode 9 is kind of an inflection point (and an insane episode). It’s obviously their “Game of Thrones” season, so think about how GOT treats its characters, and, yeah.

Brennan is also a self professed hardass during the season. There’s almost no room for rule stretching (though it does happen later in the season). Brennan tries very, very hard to kill everyone, many many times. I found myself mad at him a lot.

There’s still lots of great moments, great role playing. There’s the aforementioned food puns. The food related world building is insane.

Honestly though, it’s my least favorite season I’ve seen.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

the best d20 season is naddpod :unsmigghh:

i haven't finished em all yet but fantasy high s2 is probably my favorite so far

Naddpod doesn’t count bc Ally hasn’t been on so you can’t say they’re the same cast.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

ally was on like one dungeon court ep, it's fine. it was also the most unhinged one

They were?! I don’t remember that. Everyone else has been on some variation of the main campaign tho. Lou and the Hexbuds was the best part of eldermourne IMO. Zac as Mavrus, Siobhan as Apple Scrumper.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Ow, episode 9 of A Crown of Candy was just brutal. I suspect that Brennan banned (or at least discouraged) full casters because of magic being illegal, but I'm also wondering if he banned Clerics as well to establish "anyone can die" stakes to fit the theme the season was going for.

Welcome to the cool cryers club

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just finished the season (ACOC) finally.

Ally was on fire those last two episodes. Where did that come from? Absolute insane chaos

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

Ally has absurd dice luck whenever the chips are down.

oh yeah crazy rolls. I more meant stalking Carrotdin, disguised as them, murdering them, disappearing with the body and then murdering the pontifex while still holding the body, and then eventually resurrecting them to keep them in jail for their whole lives

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
God that VIP was so weird. I knew it would be weird from this thread but it was even weirder.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MrQueasy posted:

Apparently Izzy and Brennan had a baby, and Brennan just accidentally disclosed it on some podcast.

(I’ll post the link when I get more context)

Definitely not accidental. They announced it at an improv show they did in LA last week that I went to. Said they hadn't said anything on socials yet, but I assume they knew about the release schedule, etc.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Can’t wait for the Jacob Wysocki/Kimia VIP tonight.

Also going to another improv show this weekend featuring Vic, Jacob, Izzy and Jacquis. Excited to see what that’s like.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

https://twitter.com/dropout/status/1758612725926945015

Looks like they're cracking into the Netflix game a little bit by airing a bunch of shows from associated performers.

They’re all sold out :( I checked yesterday and they were already gone.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
God it was so good. Immediately one of my favorite Gamechanger episodes.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

inthesto posted:

I never finished season 5 of Game Changer and I'm realizing that I didn't give Jacob Wysocki enough credit in the past. I can't quite describe the energy he brings, but it's great and unique for sure

You should definitely finish S5. The last 7 episodes are all bangers. There are moments in Battle Royale that really sum up his energy.

For this who have seen it:

All of his interactions with Howie are just incredible and I think show what he can do: wild creative ideas that he's willing to fully commit to.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

I feel like Ally's Sam Says was the weakest. You really need someone with the driven-to-win energy of a Brennan or a Lou to really make the episode pop.

Except for the most memorable ending to any Sam says

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ricro posted:

The most Taskmaster level of sadistic energy Sam has ever had. Someone show Dropout to those Brits so we can finally get a real US version

There was a clip recently where Alex Horne says that he thinks that Gamechanger is doing interesting work, so he’s definitely seen it.

I’d love to see him on the show.

I’ve said for a long time that I thought Sam was pursuing the English quiz show model: get a bunch of people together who are funny and get along and it doesn’t really matter what you make them do.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Brennan as straight-laced assistant, Grant as Taskmaster.

IMO the taskmaster needs to be able to project power, and the assistant needs to be able to project being a weird little guy. Dropout is chock full of weird little guys, the power thing is more of an issue. Vic or Lisa Gilroy for taskmaster maybe? Or Wysocki?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Tangential to Dropout, but just found out that 'World's Beyond Number' podcast is almost at 30k paid subscribers, which is $5 at a minimum. That's $150,000 a month, which wowzers. Happy for them.

NADDPOD makes something similar, and has been for years. It’s wild how much money you can make (if you’re the most popular and most successful).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Izzy’s ”I thought your name was ‘Vehicular’”. Amazing.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, Katie got suspicious before even Brennan this time

EDIT: On the idea of Sam being a contestant, though, I did read a comment on one of the YouTube shorts that was dead on: The way to really do it, is get Sam to agree to appear on Um Actually or Dirty Laundry and then Ify or Lily or Grant launch into the Game Changer spiel and the set is pulled away to reveal the Game Changer set.

There’s an interesting question about creative control here. I wonder how much control he wants of the show. It’s obviously HIS show and his company. He’d have to agree to a “secret” Gamechanger episode where he agrees to let go.

Unless it’s like a “bootleg” gamechanger episode orchestrated by one of the other shows.

Not saying Sam is a megalomaniac, just curious about their creative process.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's also a very weird venue. Always stupid expensive, hard to actually sell out completely. LCD Soundsystem famously faked a break up so they could ensure it would be packed. From various sources, recall hearing that the acts themselves don't make that much money off playing there, it's so esteemed that you take a wash compared to what the venue itself rakes in. The kind of place you play at to say you played at it.

Given how anti-Capitalist the show is, do think it's fair to chuckle at them doing a show at that place, but like, can't fault them. What an opportunity! & free press/marketing if they do sell it out.

Given Dropout as a company did mother-loving profit sharing (imagine that!! in 2023!!), I hope no one's actually mad at them for it.

I saw U2 there in like 2016. Except I went with a friend whose Dad was a fancy lawyer in the city and whose company had a luxury box. That’s the way to go to MSG. Start polling friends now for who has access to a luxury box. It will probably be empty that night because none of the older execs know wtf D20 is.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2024

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think that was the platonic ideal of a gamechanger episode. Clever, funny, with all of the cast supporting each other. A+.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm looking forward to the BTS - how do you even set something like this up all through the building without alerting the contestants? It feels almost as hard as bingo. Sam Reich is a mad genius, but he's supported by an equally genius (and probably equally mad) production crew.

When the episode started and they showed the crew meeting I went “whoa that’s so many people”. I understood why by the end. There were so many moving parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
At its core, it is a game show where the game changes every show. It doesn’t have a narrative, or an arc. It’s a game show.