Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The dice have been mauling Rekha this entire game, but that one Persuasion roll of Raph's :discourse:

Having blood spray out over the room in Roll20 was a nice touch I thought after that roll. I like the way they're adding extra stuff to Roll20 and having the miniatures do stuff on camera more this season. At least it feels like more, makes sense with the pandemic precautions but I think it adds a lot to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PharmerBoy posted:

Brennan points out the body had crumbs from dinner on it as part of the evidence of it really being Brockhollow, but Mrs. Molesly remarks that the Squire hadn't touched any of his food during dinner almost immediately before the murder. Still think its a body double done up to make it look like the Squire's dead.

Well, the obvious answer is it wasn't the Squire that got killed. His family didn't know about the shrapnel, and Brennan said faking all that evidence in that amount of time is almost impossible, so maybe we've got a Don Draper situation going on here. Someone he was in the war with took over his life to get out of the war, and now they've been killed. This is supposed to be a Sherlock Holmes type thing, so now that we've removed the impossible, the merely improbable is left.

Surprised no one compared the list of Roman emperors to the ones in the li-berry. I'm sure there's some sort of discrepancy that leads to some secret passages.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The World Inferno posted:

Wowie zowie, they've already made 17x their original ask. Have wondered if CH was going to throw in the towel, but there's clearly enough of an audience for them to cater to.

Well, even during the pandemic they kept making Um, Actually, Dimension 20 and Game Changer so those must be their shows that make money. It's just figuring out if it's enough to keep them going in total.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Rank Room was pretty good too. Lots of odd ideas that got tossed around, but really entertaining and funny.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Matt Mercer's Witch-King of Angmar knockoff is absolutely hilarious with his ineptitude.

It was all the dice though, he just couldn't roll well when fighting that goddamned halfling.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

eke out posted:

brennan's entire demeanor when he's talking about how the pig at the butcher's shop told him that god and the devil killed one another

and then the callback later when erika's chipmunk casually says god died long ago

absolutely fantastic

The whole Kelmp thing is amazing, and the season seems to be heading towards attacking and dethroning the powers that be in the wizarding world. The character interactions have all been amazing. I really want more episodes of this one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I just loved the line "What would you like me to tell your family?" Followed by the whole competing school packing up and just noping out of the tournament.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Moose King posted:

I was kind of on Brennan's side for that conversation. It's just a different cultural expectation when it comes to friendly banter, a lot of Americans tend to not do the "taking the piss" style banter until they're much more familiar with the person they're talking to. If you're taking the piss out of someone from the US and you're not close friends, there's a decent chance it will get taken as an insult. And 99 times out of 100, calling their partner a dog's breakfast isn't going to go over well no matter how close you are.

I was too. I know a guy exactly like the kid he described from his camp who apparently never got the poo poo kicked out of him for it. He still deserves it, and now I just avoid him.

It might be a cultural difference, but people seem to forget that goes both ways. Americans think saying poo poo like "Your girlfriend looks like a dog's breakfast" to someone you just met is insulting, a lot of British people apparently don't. Err on the side of not pissing someone off, don't just go "It's our culture, you have to let us insult you constantly". The parallel to using someone's chosen pronouns or name is right there, just because you were raised to think it's ok to constantly insult people doesn't mean you can keep doing it if the person you're doing it to is getting pissed about it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The FAQ says it takes place after sophomore year and even past Boyz Night, so there might be some references.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

If you look closely at the updated map they posted, the police station is on fire. Apparently Bud Cubby has been busy.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

The latest episode of the Seven has one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen

Quite frankly there is no way I can spoil it and do it justice; it's a glorious loving train wreck and at least 3 players were completely incapacitated with laughter

And yet it had huge character implications, with one character getting life changing news at the same time the rest of the cast is doubled over with laughter. It's a good episode.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

It'll be dope to see Ify back; I really enjoyed him in Bloodkeep and of course he's semi-responsible for the true breakout star of that season.

I thought Jeremy(I can't remember where all the apostrophes go) was mostly Trapp and Brennan?

This looks decent, similar mechanics to World of Darkness so relatively simple which is nice.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

lemonadesweetheart posted:

On reflection I think I'd like to see Gabe GM a less insane group. He is really putting in the effort here and I'm afraid it's just going to spiral out of control completely. I laughed my rear end off throughout and I think the characters and players are really funny but am I wrong in saying that the amount of effort he seems to have put into this deserves something a little more?

I noticed that too. How many clubs did he list off to have them join, only for the main part of it to be "Ooops, dude got turned into a vampire spawn and now we have to deal with it". This seems like a bit too much chaos.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the picture that gnome sent is of his actual eggplants he grows? I mean, Gabe kept referring to their garden and the great eggplants he grows.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Back Alley Borks posted:

I subscribed to Dropout a couple weeks back and just watched the Off Book episode. I haven't watched anything on a screen that incredible in... I'm not sure, actually.

I still prefer the Yes/No episode, but Off Book was incredibly well done.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Someone tell me what the rules for the last game changer were, is it just smash things?

Not really. It was just "hot or cold" but with an audience sound machine. Sam had thought of some things he wanted them to do or items to interact with, and he used laughter/cheers to tell them hot, and boos to tell them cold. Then it was a bit of a memory game to see if they could remember what the previous people did. I'm thinking he just had items picked out, to see what they would do with it rather than an actual action for some of them. That way he could change it up if something was working better.

Sam usually posts a breakdown of the episodes to the dimension 20 instagram stories a while after the episode airs, so just keep an eye on that if you ever can't figure one out.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

I need to find the episode where she tries to scream until the answer comes to her, and it actually works. That aside, Brennan played in a recent D'n'D charity game that's worth a watch. Aabria Ayengar DMs, with Brennan, Becca Scott, Micah Burton and Danny Quach as the players in a Strixhaven campaign. I'm not familiar with the setting, so I've no idea how true to it the game was, but they all play students in a magical academy. The setting isn't really important though, because the first six minutes is some of the most bananas, chaos crew energy I've ever seen, and while they manage to calm down a bit, it keeps a solid energy throughout. Including Aabria deciding a few minutes in that if they raise $20k that she'll make a new ending, the Daddy ending, even though she has no idea what that'll actually mean as of yet. Which basically sets the tone. The cast play some fun characters too, with Becca playing a bard whose specialty is tap dancing, while Brennan plays an old necromancer who is his own Warlock patron and addicted to dying.

Brennan did one for DnD Beyond with Aabria, Ify, Erika Ishii and a few other people that was also pretty insane and good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Amazing combat starstruck episode. It just kept escalating right up to the end.

I like the way they've set it all up. There's a ton of room for growth, and he's got a decent mechanic for their performance affecting the story in the future.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Might have been Brennan, but also Katie is the first person to suggest they all rig it and vote for Sam, and he does warn them that that'll blow up in their face if they try, so I'm on the fence.

Someone on the discord spent a while looking at screenshots of paper rip patterns and decided it was Lou.

After the last Game Changer, Katie was working with Sam as a scab. I thought Sam might be working with Katie this time too. He wanted a way to sow distrust, so he worked it out so Katie would vote for herself knowing the rest wouldn't be able to resist trying to vote Sam off.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

I love that for Breaking News they've figured out Brenan will never actually break, so they're just making him have a bad time

I think really that one is Katie. I don't think she ever broke, to the point they brought her on to gently caress with the others just to get them to break. I kind of wish they would bring her back more often, just to see her deadpan.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, she gave some absolute great moments.

"I will ask this: I'm gonna go around the table and probably the answer to this question is nothing, so I want to make it okay for you to say nothing. But, is there anything you guys are attempting to do as you begin to fall? Rekha."

"I feel a sharp pain from within my belly."

Which led to the wonderful Brennan saying "And now I, as the GM, have to make the difficult choice of which skill you roll for giving birth."

Bloodkeep was incredible, and it's fairly short so worth a watch.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

enki42 posted:

Looking forward to the episode with the ProXD guy, Caitlin Reilly, and BDG (although BDG seems like the odd one out since he doesn't seem like he'd be great at improvisational noises).

Ross Bryant should be good. he's big in improv Shakespeare, and apparently quite the rapper.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Game changer has a ton of Brennan, and is fun even when he's not on there. Um Actually is also good and he's on that from time to time. For Um Actually I'd try the episodes with him, if you like those there's several seasons of it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

I guess, but I was really hoping they'd be pulling from places like Critical Role, the wider D'n'D live play talent pool or even celebrity friends they might have. If Sam can land Tony Hawk, Giancarlo Esposito and Michael Winslow for Game Changer, I was hoping they could get one or two celebs here and there for this too.

That might be a second season. Seems like they're trying out new shows, if they work out well they'll give them another season. It would make sense if that's what they're doing they grab people they already know to come in, then the second season they widen it as now it has an audience.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

I am genuinely afraid of what secrets Becca Scott might be keeping.

I'm a little more concerned about Izzy. Becca's like Brennan, she's been on enough Dropout shows that stuff has come up. Izzy is going to be the wild card I think.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

For active shows, yes. Um, Actually is still going and pretty good. There's some decent legacy stuff like Rank Room that's worth a watch as well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

fancy stats posted:

Next week is definitely the main event: https://auction.dropout.tv/products/sprinkle

That's easily going to go for a grand, which is still insane. Liam is up to 5 grand already.

I kind of want this one, https://auction.dropout.tv/products/princess, but I can't justify that kind of cash.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Yeah of the players I only know Brennan Lou and Emily but that's already enough to guarantee mayhem. I cannot wait for the inevitable point where all three are trying to one up each other.

I've seen other plays of this system, and every time it's just hilarious fun. I know Rude Tales did it and it just got ridiculous, so this has got to be a fun one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm still amazed that Sam hasn't raised the subscription price by even a buck. There is so much good stuff to watch on that channel.

They did about 6 months back I think? It went up a buck or two a month, but you could get grandfathered in if you already were paying the lower price. I think they started pushing the yearly subscriptions about then too. Still worth it though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

excuse you

it was TWO ostrich carriages pulled by 27 doves each. Their grandfather invented birds, they're not sharing a ride!

It was two carriages, but they had differing numbers of doves because they both rolled. I think Lou's had something insane like 6 or 7.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

They posted something on the Discord, apparently they had some scheduling issues with the last couple episodes so they're doing adventuring parties remotely for the last two episodes, and the final episode is pretty short cause they had to finish, something like an hour and a half or a little under that.

The Green Hunter is incredible though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

It looks interesting as hell though. Wasn't a huge fan of the Jane Austen season, so this will be a nice change.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Next episode is: "in two weeks: zach reino, ross bryant, and rashawn scott give us... KARAOKE NIGHT"

This should be incredible.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wanderer posted:

Neverafter's going just straight into the Brian Yuzna body horror. I don't know how they'll manage 20 episodes of this.

Yeah, they really weren't screwing around with the warnings on this one. It's really good, but oh man does Brennan get real hosed up real fast.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

The rejiggering he had to do for Escape the Bloodkeep is probably my favorite example just because it wasn't a lucky dice roll or any one player that hosed his plans, but the whole party as one gestalt that caused it. Not even the whole party as one consciously making a decision, but everyone gelling together in a way that threw his initial plans out completely, because he had initially planned for the season all about a group of villains to end in a PvP brawl to crown a new dark lord, only the cast were so friendly and cooperative from the off, probably as a conscious decision to subvert things that he knew within one or two episodes his plan was never going to work and he had to come up with a new ending for it altogether. Which must have been one hell of an overhaul. The Samwise Gamgee analogue he made for a joke but that Matt Mercer's character got obsessed with trying to beat and just never even dented because Brennan gave the Halfling a Storm Giant's stats as a joke was great too. Man that was a great season. It has one of Brennan's best NPC's too; Avanash the "my bones" guy.

Bloodkeep did also continue the bit in the first fantasy high of having the players focus on some random bit of coolness in the set, like the crow in the first season. That whole boatman thing was pretty obviously made up on the fly, and all because someone thought the mini was cool but it became a huge part of the last battle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

He probably felt OK with that because it's a bit and also it's not kicking them out of the game

Plus anyone who gets kicked out gets what appears to be a pretty cool prize. And I doubt Sam misled them about what was going to happen, so they at least knew when they signed up what it was.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

If Brennan doesn't know dinosaurs Id be amazed. Someone should pitch the kids thing to Sam though. It's an amazing idea. First they came for his brain, then they came for his heart. Have one of the kids start crying when Brennan beats them.

It might backfire, he's spent a lot of time working at a camp for kids. Brennan might try and convince them that Sam is the bad guy and he'll share the prize with them if he wins, he just wants to beat Sam.

They still have that "Congrats you've unionized" sign I bet.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

Looking forward to the Adventuring party today. Did Lou suspect it was Candlewick or did he just (correctly) decide that walking into a Looney Tunes trap on a Nat. 20 was the funniest option?

Pretty sure he just thought it would be funny. It's a Looney Tunes trap, of course it'll be funny. Brennan making Candlwick hosed up and crazy was just icing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

CK07 posted:

Dammit, I am constantly making that mistake somehow. And I agree that it was a terrible choice of name for that reason.

I went looking for the patreon/twitter so I could keep an eye on when the episodes came out, and even Google has a hell of a time trying to figure out what you're looking for.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

8one6 posted:

This would be a good behind the scenes episode to make. Just release a real time cut with like a 6 way split screen.

I think they usually toss one of those up the next week if they're going to do it, so maybe next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

MikeJF posted:

We've seen enough stuff in there that I imagine it's not uncommon for film stuff and crews to be there for behind the scenes content.

They also already had one episode this season where the cast realized something was up when they got microphones way earlier than normal.

I would assume they told them it was for behind the scenes or as Sam was pretending at the start that it was some huge thing with the downstairs set, and they'd need them ready to go earlier than normal.