Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tsob posted:

Does The Seven build on the earlier Fantasy High content? Cause I've yet to watch either season of it beyond the first episode. I should get around to it, but I just skipped to other seasons that looked more fun instead, honestly.

Yeah, definitely. All the PCs are NPCs from the previous seasons who've been... involved in the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

lemonadesweetheart posted:

That was some loosey goosey stuff. I love Rehka.

This is kind of a weird ask but does anyone know if there's a thread for LA by night. I started watching it recently and I really like it and I just saw that Brennan is going to be in the new season at least a little bit.

The Actual Play thread, probably.

Personally, I must admit out of the two Jason Carl games I watched I prefer Seattle by Night. LAbN is goth theater kids very earnestly pretending to be vampires, SbN is a good home group having fun with a great GM. But they're both good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I didn't know there was another one :D I just found labn because of Erika and it popped up on my youtubes. I'll check it out. Jason is a great storyteller.

There is a lot of cross-pollination of players and podcasts in that scene, yeah. I found quite a few new shows just by googling what else a player/GM I liked was in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

enki42 posted:

Game Changer got a season 4 trailer (starts on Monday!) and I couldn't be more excited - especially since they're back to the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3btMi1TNP2s

Just make a whole spin-off show based on the sound impression episodes please.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, I dunno if Brennan needs another show to dominate.

If you actually stopped to think about this statement, you'd realize the answer is "yes, he does."

(Also, Zac and Josh totally keep up with him, IMO.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Sam decided at some point that no corporate masters to answer to meant gently caress it, he's just gonna have his favourite comedians do funny sounds and songs for him.... and maybe he'll post it on the internet at some point.

It's kind of a dream job, when one puts it that way.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I suspect they're all probably fine either way and are more worried about their own performance.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tsob posted:

BDG? Also, Liam O'Brien. Oh, and Murph looks fuckin' weird with long hair. I almost didn't recognize him.

Brian David Gilbert. He's very, very quirky.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Brennan's going to be playing in the next Critical Role one-shot.

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1495842966040158211

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The World Inferno posted:

Sam's doing an AMA where they announced a full run of 'Make Some Noise'. Will be excited to see if they can top making the sound of stirring mac n' cheese.

I am, like, 0% surprised it's a series now. That poo poo was instant comedy gold.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

Brennan: can name countless bird facts and probably recite most of Lord of the Rings from memory

Also Brennan: 'who's famous...uh...The Smothers Brothers? That's two people!'

Just so deeply on brand

https://twitter.com/dhtoomey/status/1505374381299716096

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dimloep posted:

It's gonna be so good. Top table, Lou, Aabria, and Brennan is gonna be a delightful energy. I am not familiar with this Luis Carazo gentleman, but I'm still v much into this whole situation.

He played Nines Rodriguez on LA by Night, which my guess is how Brennan met him.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
BLM did an interview with the one small Youtube who's been interviewing him since the very first D20 campaign about Exandria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDFwkAa5fc

And a roundtable with Matt Mercer and Aabria Iyengar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmZSWKPXhZ4

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"next lot: the dildo from True Facts About Grant Anthony O’Brien"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Poor guy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's a pretty good Tom Waits.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Actual Play Alums Form New TTRPG Podcast Worlds Beyond Number
Dimension 20 and Critical Role veterans strike out to make their own creator-owned thing.

quote:

The tabletop roleplaying space has plenty of Actual Play series to grab the attention of fans of the medium, and Dimension 20 is one of the larger series out there. Through over a dozen seasons, the Dropout series has allowed a fairly rotating roster of cast members to stretch their chops in the space and dip into other TTRPGs beyond Dungeons & Dragons. And for a handful of those actors, they’re now branching off to create their own specific, non-corporate space in the Actual Play world.

After being teased throughout the last week of 2022, the new tabletop RPG podcast Worlds Beyond Number was formally announced. Headlining the cast are Brennan Lee Mulligan, Erika Ishii, Aabria Iyengar, and Lou Wilson, who’ve all been on multiple seasons of D20 and also Critical Role, and Fortunate Horse creative director Taylor Moore. Per the website, the new creator-owned series will be about “playing games and making up stories with your friends. Across genres, across worlds, from immersive, years-long cinematic epics to wild, chaotic one-shots, the possibilities are...a lot.”

Right now, it’s not known how this’ll effect Dimension 20 going forward—Mulligan co-created the show and is a frequent Game Master, as is Iyengar, who held that role in the recently concluded A Court of Fey & Flowers. The show’s current season Neverafter stars Wilson and has Mulligan back as DM (both of whom were also in Court), but in recent seasons such as Coffin Run and 2021's Shriek Week, neither have appeared in any capacity. With Worlds now thrown into the equation, it may be that Dimension 20 will bring in more “new” GMs and actors so its more recurring cast members aren’t burnt out on all things tabletop.

Following character and world reveals throughout the month of January, February will see the launch of Worlds Beyond Number’s Patreon. Patrons will get access to episodes a week before public subscribers, in addition to other benefits. Finally, the first episode of the first story will be made available for free to the public in March. It’s unclear what the release schedule will be for episodes going forward.

That sounds neat, but the title is weirdly close but not identical to Worlds Without Number, which is a very popular OSR system. (Both of its books are in the DTRPG Top 20 Bestsellers' List atm and both were at the top spot when they came out.) Are they using the system and chose a title that's confusing similar to the system they're using? Are they gonna be playing other games and the show just so happens to have a title that's almost identical to a popular game's title? Either way it's a bit weird, tbh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I suspect this might be "Brennan gets to just sit back and relax as a player, while also being the big name draw" podcast.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
WWN is the rpg system, WBN is the podcast. (Ugh.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
No, it's not. I was just pointing out CK07 used the wrong name in his post. (Because whoever named the podcast is an idiot.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
i don't know about this matt guy but i guess i'll give him a chance

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

How do you listen to WBM? The website is absolutely terrible and uninformative, doesn't have any actual links.

Download a podcast app of some kind, search for "Worlds Beyond Number" in it. Here's a few decent ones I've used before:

Web and every other platform: Spotify

Win 10: Grover Podcast

Android: Google Podcast or Pocket Casts. (I listen to a lot of podcasts on the go, so I use GP for talk shows and stuff and PC for rpg shows.)

Linux, iOS: just type in "podcast" in their store or google "best free podcast app for X"

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 26, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Anyone have any idea about when this would've been recorded?

September-ish, maybe?

https://twitter.com/fj_animations/status/1684257521819582477

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hank Green recorded a vlog about his experience on Dimension 20, now that Dropout people can actually advertise their stuff again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmEgUxfw5Q

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They also just started a D&D show. Smosh fans, as far as I can tell, seem to think it's decent.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

that's very funny

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Latest Dirty Laundry, we finally see Grant shocked by someone's sex talk

did someone admit to ḧ̴̡̧̩́ã̵̛̤͕̥̥̲͝͠ṅ̴͈̊̕͠d̵͉̣̙̮̆͝h̷̳̍o̷̹̗̫͊l̴̥̻̦̄̅̓d̵̹̫̠̘̀̍̀i̶̛̺n̶̢͇͎̲͛́͂͗ĝ̷̱̗

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wow, how old is that headshot of Sam?

That's just what happens when he takes off the glasses.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Next month: Goodbye Dropout, Hello Dropout America.

Sam Reich, but the 'ch' is pronounced the other way.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
wow, what an embarrassing L for the mod :smug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Brian David Gilbert did a collab with Tom Cardy and, um, it's a little Dropout related? (I mostly just wanted to share this banger. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w1wwGcu0Dk

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like some of these people, but I think this will end up being Too Improv for me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Next season key art

It must be pretty dope to be able to order art of yourself as a Batman villain.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

I would kill to see the intrepid heroes playing Blades in the Dark. Imagine the shenanigans Emily could get up to with flashbacks!

Glass Cannon's Haunted City is what John Harper considers the best BitD AP, apparently, and it has Ross Bryant as one of the players. (I really should get around to watching some of it.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

id like to see D20 do a season outside in the woods

dome? no. tent.

A LARP where Sam hunts them with actual guns.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

also Bryan David Gilbert as fact checker?

This is the guy who spent a year reading every single Halo tie-in novel for a video

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I listen to Call of Cthulhu podcasts a lot and even in the one shots the players are usually laughing more than in D&D shows. Tabletop horror tends to not be all that horrible OOC, unless the GM is going out of their way trying to make poo poo hosed up and disturbing, which is not everyone's cuppa.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tsob posted:

A large part of the whole "who can project power" thing is that all of Dropout's nominees for the position have been in front of the camera so much, doing such silly poo poo in a very organic manner. Yeah, Greg Davies had been an actor in comedies prior to Taskmaster, but they were scripted shows for the most part and even then, his most famous role, as a teacher in The Inbetweeners, cast him in a similarly stern role for the most part. It's a lot harder to maintain that view of someone who has mostly come through your view for doing unscripted silliness. As such, they might be better off searching outside Dropout's usual stable for someone to fill that role and I nominate Travis Willingham. Yeah, I know he's just a big cuddly bear from watching hundreds of hours of Critical Role, but he's certainly able to project physical power at 6"4' and while he's not afraid to crack a joke, he's also one of the more restrained cast members for the show so, at least in my mental image of him, he's not just a goofball.

If we're pulling from the Actual Play community, Jason Carl would make for a good intimidating presence.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The Taskmaster really needs to have at least a slightly nasty edge to them that Travis doesn't, as well as just projecting power.

Brennan is already there, tbh, but he's too busy to also do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wanderer posted:

This track goes a lot harder than it has any right to.

Yeah, it's actual hit song catchy, not just funny comedy song catchy.