Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I'm a bit confused as to why some seem so shocked by how well Grosjean and especially Palou did.

Grosjean has 10 F1 podiums and is a GP2 champion, Palou nearly won the Super Formula championship as a rookie. That series is very, very tough for drivers not immersed in the Japanese ladder system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ovals, especially short ovals, started to suck when the speed differentials of the cars closed up.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Custard Undies posted:

Very hot take from me.

Most ovals lost their appeal when they stopped the cars being able to pack race.

For very good reasons, but I still miss watching it.

That race from a few years ago, where they somehow stuffed up the aero or something and the race turned into a pack race was crazy suspenseful. All the teams/drivers were pissed but it certainly made for one hell of a spectacle.

I watched some of the IRL. The pack racing sucked rear end.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
CART tried to do that by running speedway wings on short ovals and it created extremely difficult to drive cars and horrendous racing. Mario Andretti said ~1988-1989 that the cars were getting too fast to be put on short ovals.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the best indycar oval race was that fontana death race where like 8 people finished, and the cars could sort of pack race but also they got massive tows that allowed huge slingshots so it wasn't really a 'pack' like you used to see at the terrifying texas races

It was actually 6 cars. It also was like an endurance race. It was during the 2000 season’s psychotic horsepower war. Casey Mears (remember him?) finished 4th.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also for all the people claiming that you need packs to make people interested, nobody gave a poo poo about the IRL and people did give a poo poo back in the 80s

Indeed. It should also be said early IRL races weren’t pack racing, at least the stuff I’ve seen (‘96-‘97 and a bit of ‘98-‘99) They are bad for other reasons.

I also watched Homestead 1996 and it was a good race.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
GMR was a good race. I also think many forget that Grosjean is a good driver.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
https://youtu.be/BUMsD3y5dw8?list=PL_CdYah-xRnMm5RI_oQmf3Fw-bEBH00Q3&t=1174

Yikes.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Andre Ribiero has passed away. RIP.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He was much better than most give him credit for.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ribiero was essentially tasked with developing the 1995-spec Honda motor.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ribiero got a Penske ride when they were almost done developing some of the worst cars to ever take to track, on the worst racing tires ever. feels bad man

He was shaken very badly by the Goodyears and never came to terms with how they behaved.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
FTW, but I was pulling for Sato.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Generally a good race, but I really disagree with throwing the red.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Askew is in for Rosenqvist tomorrow.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Excellent race.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Askew is also in for Veekay.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

One day Indycar is just going to be rejected and / or retired F1 drivers.

“One Day”

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the 1985 Indycar season had Roberto Guerrero, Bruno Giacomelli, Alan Jones, Jan Lammers, Roberto Moreno and "Oncle Jacques" Villeneuve making starts. Not to mention all the ex-F1 Indycar stalwarts including Andretti/Fittipaldi, or even Sullivan/Rahal.

I think most forget that Sullivan and Rahal were actually F1 drivers.

There was also F3 washouts like Mansilla, who was surprisingly pretty good but never raced again after.

Frond fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 17, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Jimmie Johnson wasn't even good in his last few NASCAR seasons.

RA is pretty daunting. I wonder if he will be able to do better than Alfonso Celis Jr.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I watched Long Beach 1998 again (which is an amazing race) and the Ex-F1 guys in that race alone were;

Zanardi
Christian Fittipaldi
Gugelmin
Domenico Schiattarella
Rahal
Mark Blundell
Lehto

and I guess you also can include Michael Andretti. It's been the case for quite some time.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Uhhh yeah. Go actually watch, like, pre 1992 CART races. The lower field quality is atrocious.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Extremely bad though the IRL fans liked to call this the best racing on earth because hey it's side by side

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Speaking of Superspeedways, why was Texas World Speedway (Not TMS - it's a MIS knockoff) never considered for use for either CART or Indycar prior to it's shutdown? I think it would have been ideal.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Jeff Andretti set a speed record testing in the early 90s there, so unless the deterioration was extremely severe in the late 90s/2000s I'm not sure why it was not used. It would be ideal for open wheel cars

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Bad Track, Good finish to an otherwise gongshow of a race.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Uh, I know it's not really their fault per say but Chevrolet looked terrible all weekend here.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Genocide Tendency posted:

I want to know what the thought process was to put Johnson, a 7 time champ on a mostly oval series, in road and street courses only.

Also, whoever designed this course is either a loving genius or an idiot.

Himself. Although from what I understand he didn't expect it to be this tough.

Perhaps it will shut up the "Indycar drivers are all road racing ride buyer hack frauds that would be eaten alive by any competent NASCAR driver" crew but I'm not holding my breath.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Chevrolet cars seem to have had power delivery issues since at least 2017 and also historically have got really crappy fuel economy.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Chevrolet has like 2 cars that can consistently contend for top positions right now - Newgarden and O'Ward. They are hosed.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Lundgaard is in for RLL at Indy. : /

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

Jeff Krosnoff’s fatal incident in Vancouver also took out a corner worker because the catch fencing was behind the marshall station.

It was Toronto, and I was there. Also it was really awkward because my dad’s company sponsored Johansson’s car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Solid race. This track used to be reliably awful, but not so much anymore.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
"It's incredibly moronic to say that it's completely OK to have teammates, or other Honda teams to be intentionally impeding the progress of a rival who's leading the race, but then take offense to said leader complaining to race control, that their rivals are using team orders to affect race outcomes. You don't honestly believe Hinch was doing nothing but fighting to stay on the lead lap, do you?"

Ah yes, the Honda conspiracy. Thank you Racer.com boards.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I mean, I'm partial to certain manufacturers myself but it always surprises me how partisan GM and Ford fans are.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
RIP Robin.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Rosenqvist is overhyped trash.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Sato to DCR.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The guy is nearly 45 years old, he’s nearing the end of his time as a top line driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Sato was making that lovely Foyt car look better than it actually was/is. Even Bourdais can’t do much with it.