Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still remember everyone insisting Barber was going to be boring when it got added, but I'm pretty sure the worst race there has still been drat decent. This one was solid aside from (perhaps because of) the clownshoes start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

open-wheel racers need that kind of protection, full stop.

Agreed. The bigger takeaway to me on this wreck is that the speed where this happened is not out of reach for most open-wheel series. This wasn't a wreck that happened at 220MPH into T1 at Indy. A lower end series wouldn't be going that fast after that corner but they could easily hit speeds like that somewhere else along the straight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Ovals, especially short ovals, started to suck when the speed differentials of the cars closed up.

I don't know how you would create more speed differential at this point though, short of perhaps trying to make the cars impossible to drive and relying on skill to separate cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

your friend wicka posted:

Sounds awesome op

Superspeedway aero kit at Phoenix?

The Phoenix DW12 races sucked because with that much downforce, unless you got the car horribly wrong you could just throw a brick on the throttle and steer it - but then you couldn't do a thing when you were in the wake of another car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Getting my second dose tomorrow. I'll be protected from the terrible secret of space just in time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

Anyone know what's up with the Racing Electronics people? They don't have rentals available in their website for ANY Indycar events this year and don't have the OTA programmable scanners available anymore. Did Penske give them the boot in favor of another company or something?

I doubt Roger would have given them the boot but their presence at the track has been smaller and smaller and smaller every year. Wouldn't be surprised if they decided that they weren't getting enough out of Indycar to justify showing up anymore.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Gotta build the next fans, one visit at a time.

Hell yes, good plan.

Are they on just earpro or the scanner? Having a scanner was how my tender young ears first learned about King Hiro.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Same, that temperature looks like the nicest 500 weather in ages.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm sure I'll never be lucky enough to sit there for the race, but you cannot beat E Penthouse.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hunnert car pileup posted:

Marshall Pruett on Davey Hamilton's infamous crash at Texas 20 years ago:

https://marshallpruettpodcast.com/davey-hamiltons-devastating-crash-at-20/

A good read.

Davey's great in the radio booth, too. Especially when he mentions running pretty much every car he could get a deal to drive during the Copper World Classic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm glad the dude seems to have a sense of humor about it but watching that (and his body language) it sure felt like this was a deeper-rooted reaction to fire than it was "I want to save my car".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I still wish the three of them could have raced in a team endurance event.

As far as I know the only "no" in that plan was Michael.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Part of me misses the variety in the cars themselves, but the racing is so much better that I don't really care.

What's amazing about Penske still being winless is that unlike 1999, they've been competitive. The last three races alone got thrown away at the very end by failures / strategy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

The speed (and the risk) is part of the point of watching top level racing for lots of people. That’s what makes it cool.

I like slow racing too, and I’ve made peace with never hearing “it’s a new track record” at Indy ever again, but indycar should absolutely not abandon the things that make it cool to be like feeder series it is already (imo) much more entertaining than.

They're talking about another 150-200hp with the 2.4L engine, right?

I think we'll hear that again, once, with the new engine on a day where the conditions are absolutely perfect for speed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With E85 intercoolers (or a lack thereof) aren't worth a huge amount of power, though it's not as awesome in that regard as methanol was.

Hybrid power is also going to be a big question mark at Indy given the total lack of anywhere to recharge it. I could maybe see there being enough energy storage on the car to make one lap a bit quicker but even a full qualifying run might be asking too much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

That happened because the series used to mandate rear wing angles though, not really anything to do with development. They have roughly the same amount of development now as then (shocks and thats about it really).

That combined with the fact that "fast" was also "easy". So driver skill / comfort couldn't spread the field out either.

On the current aerokit and the allowable aero parts / settings, fast is also evil.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

Indycar coverage needs more drone and boom cameras that convey how awesome the road courses are with elevation changes and whatnot. It blew me away the first time I went to Mid-Ohio, because that poo poo looks absolutely flat on TV. The onboards are great for this too, but I feel like there's room to improve for sure. I also hate the lack of prompt podium celebrations being shown. F1 blows Indycar away in this regard, you could watch Indycar for years and never even know they give 2nd and 3rd place finishers a trophy. The points system isn't highlighted as well as it could be either.

Grosjean's own personal YouTube has an absolutely amazing helmet cam video that must have been filmed at a test before this past weekend. It's amazing how blind so many of those corners are at the height of an Indycar driver.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Points based on race distance makes some sense if you extrapolate it all the way back to glorified local dirt track racing. If a championship includes a 500 mile superspeedway race and a 50 mile A-main at a dirt track, you'd expect the former to pay out more points than the latter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've gone twice, I like the seats on the inside of Tecate because if you're up high enough you can see the cars coming down two straights and heading towards the fountain. Also good view of a jumbotron so you can see what else is happening.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

fired, or leaving? the rumors are he might be going to RLL to replace Sato.

First sentence of this article sure makes it sound like leaving, yeah.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Chevrolet has like 2 cars that can consistently contend for top positions right now - Newgarden and O'Ward. They are hosed.

If we're going by that level of consistency for 2021 at least, the other three drivers in the top five in points are all Ganassi, and Newgarden is fourth in points despite being the only one in the top five with any finishes outside the top 20.

I don't think Chevy is at the top of their game right now, but I don't think that's the only issue making it hard for a bowtie to win the title this year. The Ganassi cars are the closest thing to consistent that anyone has been.

Also if the Wikipedia article is right, the battle for 22nd in entrant points could be interesting if RLL keeps fielding the 45 car. If they do and they keep up similar results, that puts the 48 and 7 fighting for 22nd in points, and that gap is down to 10 points. If the 45 is done for the year, then that should put the 7 in 22nd and let's be fair there's basically no way the 59 or 4 stand a loving chance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

Does anyone know if the radio frequencies are the same for the race this weekend as they were for the 500? I don't know if the teams switch it up or if they stay the same.

They usually keep the same frequencies through the year, and often the same for a given car year to year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think those yellows ended up helping Will more than he realized. With a clean track, Herta didn't have the tires and Grosjean didn't have the P2P to be anywhere near Power. If the race had stayed green and Hinch kept backing Power up, Herta would've had a real shot at passing Power and making him work for a pass in dirty air.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Custard Undies posted:

Was it Iowa where they pulled a number out of a hat (so to speak) and thats how the driver got their starting grid position?

I swear I remember that happening a few years ago.

I think that was Texas one year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

milk champagne gimp

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Why was Askew fired for a slightly better version Ed Jones?

It was strongly hinted at but never outright said that there was a lot of unhappiness at SPAM about how the whole concussion thing went down, which seems... lovely.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Pass II: Corkscrew Boogaloo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hunnert car pileup posted:

Would be cool with Long Beach being the permanent finale tbh

Seriously, this is the atmosphere Indycar needs to end on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

A little gutted, but glad we came close to a break of the Andretti-Ganassi-Penske monopoly.

I mean they've been fighting in most of those championships, but Andretti only has one title since reunification, and even Penske "only" has four. Ganassi has won the title ten out of the last fourteen seasons. It's very much Ganassi, then Penske, and then a very distant everyone else, and as far as I can tell that's mostly because Ganassi (especially with Dixon and now Palou) are absolute pros at making the best out of days that every other team turns into a full on shitshow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

It was super clear today. They can just easily run in 4-5th without really having to fight. No idea what they've figured out.

Announcers used to love to point out how much Dixon could save fuel while still going fast, often while mentioning the time he and Ganassi spent with the Toyota engine which couldn't make as much power as the rest of the field. So lacking speed, all they could do was focus on how to go longer on a stint and win on strategy. I think this is important, but not as important as it has been in the past - we aren't seeing nearly as many races decided on who can stretch a load of fuel the longest, and that's a win for everyone.

I think that mentality comes with a second benefit, and it's something Palou shares as well. Somewhat unfortunately for fans, it's the fact that the two of them seemingly never get flustered. They just don't gently caress up. If for some reason they've just plain missed the setup for a race, they don't go out and drive the wheels off of it to try to turn a tenth place car into a third place car. They go out, put their heads down, and work the strategy they're given. Sticking to that with a bit of luck will turn a tenth place car into a fifth place car, and that's a lot better for the championship than all of the times (just this season, even!) someone else has turned a car capable of a win into a DNF.

I can't even count how many times at just the races I've personally been to, Ryan Hunter-Reay has bailed on a strategy because he simply can't hit the fuel number / pace / tire life needed to make it work. Most of the field is closer to RHR in that regard than they are to Dixon. I don't know how much of that has to do with Mike Hull calling the right strategy versus Dixon hitting the numbers he's told to hit, but the two of those combined are a league of their own.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll also strongly recommend Empty Box's videos on AOWR history, and if you want a deep dive into probably the single most catalyzing thing in the second Split, Beast by Jade Gurss.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I made an addition to the poster in my garage:

Oh hey I haven't posted this photo yet this year

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I hesitate to call Kellett "bad" instead of "slow". Duno was bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Things Kellett can do that truly bad drivers cannot:

*Keep it pointed the right way on track
*Not run into championship contenders

Worst of the field with as deep of a field Indycar has right now really isn't the insult it would have been in 1997 or even 2014.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

1997 wasn't too bad outside of Vitolo and Nearburg. Most of the drivers had accomplished things in the lower levels, even Paul Jasper.

I wasn't talking about 1997 CART :v:

Oh and how can we forget EJ Viso?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't remember if I was able to manage IRC at the time from my phone at the track, but quite frankly I don't want to watch that video and figure it out. I definitely remember posting.

Replaying chatlogs on that seems ghastly, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reminder that Hinch has been aiming at the booth since approximately Forever ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrVGjARN9I

Frond posted:

https://racer.com/2021/12/09/karam-ferrucci-get-dreyer-reinbold-call-up-for-indy-500/

I try not to let my personal prejudices cloud my judgement but holey moley, I don't think there is a driver lineup that is more overhyped than this one.

Karam is absolutely overhyped. Ferucci is a pile of poo poo in human form, and overhyped everywhere but Indy... but the turd can actually drive well there.

Well enough to get a win? I hope never.