Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
loving Arsenal and Tottenham lmao.

This whole thing is monumentally retarded and just another example of lovely American owners ruining football*

*From a PL perspective.

The players absolutely do not want this poo poo I bet

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The only thing this benefits is the owners and the player agents who are eyeing up £10m+ signing bonuses

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

J.P. Morgan Chase bank has been confirmed as the official money men behind all of this.

Another American....colour me shocked

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Actually im now for the Super League

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Flayer posted:

I hope Legacy Fans™ get a cool badge to wear to show their seniority. Maybe some exclusive DLC?

I hope this all goes tits up but at the same time destroys UEFA and FIFA in some way. I'm not sure how it would work out ultimately but I'd love for Arsenal to go bust if it forced out the shithead americans. I'm sure stadium maintenance could cover itself with match day revenue at least, we just wouldn't be able to spunk £350,000 a week on world class players intentionally frozen out of the first team for political reasons.

Dock points, force the owners out or strip the money from them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPSoD5ruVhY

Utd stepped down from the ECA, Woodward resigned from UEFA

So thats all the Italian teams and Utd have hosed off so far

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Flayer posted:

Sounds fake. Why would you invite a Russian team into your western European league? Just constant problems with timezones.

Money

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Collateral posted:

The what now? Next you will be tell me the Euro finals are now 32 teams.

I honestly think Uefa are shooting themselves by offering to ban players from internationals. The owners are probably delighted at this outcome.

Its to force the Players Union to take action likely

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

:sickos:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Another interesting factor would be teams in Spain and Italy that are not included.

Of course, it is a massive disrespect that 6 PL clubs, among then absolute garbage clubs, declare themselves the best in Europe over actual good teams in Germany and France. However, these leagues are still functional despite some ESL and they can send their teams if they so choose and flatten teams like Arsenal or Tottenham.

But for Italian or Spanish teams, international and eventually domestic Football is pretty much over. One would expect some ruffled feathers

Ill give you Germany but theres 1 good team in France, and even then they are perennial bottlers

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lets take it to the BBC comment section

quote:

Ian: How can football fans be surprised that this has happened, given the abuse & vitriol directed at club owners? There is a massive fan base in other parts of the world, and those fans don't insult the owners after every match

Ah yes its the...checks notes...fans fault?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Yer Lille, Lyon, and Monaco are poo poo

In terms of Champions league performances.

Lyon - Semi finalists twice
Lille - 1 RO16
Monaco - 1 semi, 1 final since 2000
Marseille - 2 finals in the 90s, never got past the quarters since

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 20, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Maybe Sky are going crazy about this because the pooper league is going to go all NFL Game Pass and cut out the middle man.

Well yeah, thats pretty much the exact reason

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Most people I have seen are more along the 'lol G Nev and friends are going mad now but they'll be commentating on it next year' etc school of thought. But these are the same people who believe all the players will be banned from internationals. Same as the ECB banned England players from going to the IPL.

Neville has always hated the insane money being thrown around at the cost of the clubs values.

I think the difference is between this and the IPL is that there was a working relationship and plans with the IPL were hashed out with the ECB, as opposed to the IPL just going "Hey we bought these players, gently caress you"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Double post because SA is hosed today

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Didnt Abramovich say he literally wanted to buy the PL title when he first came in?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

biglads posted:

Fans aren't going to unite and stop this. The ingrained hatreds and rivalries are too much.

Fans will blame someone else probably not associated with their own club (Perez, Abramovic, Glazer etc) and the parochial bullshit will win.

Fans can do gently caress all. The governing bodies need to stop this.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Flayer posted:

Exactly, fans have zero power to stop this when the global interests that own the clubs can sell the TV rights (or get injected by hedge funds) for billions upon billions of dollars. You could have nobody turning up to games and it would make commercial sense for the owners to fill the stadium with ringers and cardboard cutouts. Or just move a bunch of games abroad. Don't get caught up in thinking local supporters have any agency or are in any way to blame for this.

Last year has shown that fanless stadiums work.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

If Barca backs out the thing is dead. This would be hilarity of the highest form, surpassing this entire shebang.

But again, the clubs in this league are not there because they are good, but because they are in debt - they are the ones who win by buying players instead of developing them, and I don't think they have a plan to do anything else.

So it looks like this will continue. It's viable because big name clubs are there, and international fans care mostly about Spain and England. What do the 150 million people in Europe, who don't watch this, matter, if you get like 200 million Americans and x million Chinese fans?

English fans will watch it - they let their PL teams get sold out to oligarchs and billionaires, so you can't expect them to suddenly start caring about Football. It's really telling that half the clubs are English anyway - the country which created the game is also now killing it.

Either something happens in Spain and the thing dies, or PSG joins eventually and everything else dies.

gently caress off dipshit. We didn't let this happen.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

No idea though how much of the City/Chelsea thing is legit and how much of it is Sky trying to generate a wedge via their friends at UNNAMED SOURCE

It's not like Chelsea has a real board that's going to vote on this poo poo, and iirc even people who work for the club seem to speak to Abramovich once a year and deal with his PA the rest of the time so I somehow doubt he's giving regular briefings to Helen Chamberlain

I imagine the threat of being chucked out of this year's CL was not something they thought of

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

That's a thing?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bullshit clickbait article

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It totally devalues anything lower than 1st place in the PL too for any of the big 6 as there's no incentive to fight for top 4

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I don't disagree, but he still paints an incomplete picture is my point. If we look at, say, semi-final appearances by France since 1990 this is what we get:

1990: Marseille, semi-final
1991: Marseille, finalist
1993: Marseille, champion
1994: Monaco, semi
1995: PSG, semi
1996: Nantes, semi
1998: Monaco, semi
2004: Monaco, final
2010: Lyon, semi
2017: Monaco, semi
2020: Lyon, semi; PSG, finalist

Now that isn't a particularly stunning list of CL performance but if the real list isn't particularly impressive already there's no need to make poo poo up to make it look worse.

Thats fair. UEFAs website doesnt actually say who won the final but i should have checked. I wasnt making stuff up

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

It's all good. I would argue that the true bottlers in that history are Lyon, who won 7 straight from 2002-2008 and in that time made zero semi finals and only three quarter appearances. There's a pretty noticeable drop off after 1998, in any case.

At any rate, back to ESL shitposting

There must always be 1 french bottle merchant.

A fromage fraud if you will

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Good guys Roma have come out against this too now

Looks like they might struggle to fill those last few places

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

From the Real Madrid subreddit lol. Perez is just like [genocidal maniac]. Well intentioned, but badly planned.

Except Thanos did nothing wrong.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The DPRK posted:

Please excuse my naive questions, but:
- Why are so many clubs in debt?
- Is it really not possible for clubs to continue to exist based on matchday tickets (assuming no covid) and merch?
- Is this in itself not damning for modern football?

e: i'm mainly thinking here about the non big 6 sides, thinking if the big 6 break away - why are they so hosed?

- cunty owners, wage bills etc
- no
- yes

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The DPRK posted:

Do the numbers just not add up, when it comes to salaries, stadium costs vs their income at the turnstile?

Most clubs money comes from TV rights and sponsorships.

Anfield for example seats about 45k. So if you sell each ticket for £100 and sell out each week you would get £9m per month assuming 2 home games.

Liverpool's wage bill is £139m per year.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

shirts and skins posted:

Tottenham has a different major expense occupying their attention right now.

The wasted money renting that trophy cabinet

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

A lot of fancy protest banners have been printed up that won't get used now. Feel for the fans.

Just change ESL to owners

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/honigstein/status/1384584371815030792?s=20

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

:sickos:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Please be FSG

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

:vince:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

They could just offer Messi trains and write off €400m of that

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Someone take the old lady out back and shoot her

Rooney got excited for a second there

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

military cervix posted:

Chelsea currently making a strong argument for the ESL by demonstrating just how boring the premier league can be.

Otoh, Chelsea making a good point why they aren't a European elite team by not being able to beat Brighton at home.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

And £100m on Dembele

And £120m on Greaseman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

We've bullied billionaires into doing apology videos, keep going.