Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
A franchise-based clique in an attempt to funnel cash flow from North America and Asia to create maximum value for the shareholders and ROI for the funder of the project. Right now the superleague seems far more likely than not to implode onto itself in a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

QED, this all serves no purpose other than to funnel cash from Asian and North American fans of the future.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Rumor here has it that the ESL offered a spot to Zenit and it was ignored.
No way to corroborate that, but if so, a bold move to ask in a club which (a) is controlled by UEFA's major sponsor and (b) nobody in the ESL's target markets gives or ever will give a poo poo about

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Flayer posted:

Sounds fake. Why would you invite a Russian team into your western European league? Just constant problems with timezones.

Because Zenit = Gazprom and Gazprom = money
This logic is not correct. The last time Gazprom provided any significant financing to Zenit was way back in 2015. All Russian clubs are now poor by modern football standards. That's not to mention the permanent threat of more sanctions.

I am not inclined to dismiss this right away precisely because it shows a complete lack of research beyond associating a label with $$$

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

It's a shame that scheduling midweek league games for the same weeks this trash is supposed to be played would punish non-breakaway clubs as well

There is no course of action that wouldn't hurt non-breakaway clubs, so might as well rip off the bandaid and completely disregard whatever superleague will be doing

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

The thing about American pro sports league structures is they’re pretty good at suppressing wage growth relative to revenues over time because the owners all act in concert.

As far as prestige, that’s still up in the air of FIFA bans superleague players from World Cup participation no? Or do most of the best players in the world not care about the World Cup now?

Now is the opportunity to find that out.
The US closed rich leagues are successful in no small part thanks to dominating the sport, either through being the best at the sport (see American basketball players and Canadian hockey players) or through being the only ones who play the sport at all (American football, baseball)
Now compare those to the MLS
The question that's up in the air is whether the superleague will suck up all the best talent or not. This is very hard to predict right now

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

We did just fine with 'fans' and 'plastics' before op

To be fair, "fans of the future" is such an awesomely condescending euphemism that I think I like it better

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

that was quick

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

lmao

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

Here's my question: The seed money for this thing from J.P Morgan Chase is actually in loans, so if it's already been given out what the gently caress do they do because that hundreds of millions of Euros of extra debt on Real Madrid and Barcelona

Bankruptcy is the play here

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Does this mean I don’t have an excuse to stop supporting Arsenal? I was quite looking forward to it...

Supporting Arsenal is reason enough to stop supporting Arsenal and don't let anyone tell you otherwise

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

My Portuguese reading ability is limited but lol still

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

A lot of fancy protest banners have been printed up that won't get used now. Feel for the fans.

I'm sure they will be used and some residual lols will be had

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

biglads posted:

Lmao Woodward has resigned

Okay I concede the ESL really is superior form of entertainment

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

rear end cobra posted:

Every single second of has been super entertaining

One other thing that's funny is how the corporate identity, the branding of the super league is hilariously shoddy and obviously cobbled together over a single all nighter

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

so will clubs in a financial hole go bankrupt and trigger a collapse of the football bubble

That would be a dream come true but probably not

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

We ain't done yet!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

Barcelona are hosed either way lmao

I'd imagine something like going ESL would have to be approved by the socios, ¿nó?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

I mean financial penalties do gently caress all to these guys, unless you levvy loving massive fines against them which in turn, just hurts the club and not the owners. Like the Glazers would just take whatever fine out of Utd to recoup the loss.

The solution has been developed by competition and data protection regulators across the globe long ago, it's called turnover based fines. These clubs may be neck deep in debt, but their turnovers are huge. The question is if anyone will have the balls and/or authority to execute.

And that's why you sense check consulting data before implementing solutions. If you don't, you are likely to hurt stakeholders more than benefit them and the value* goes down.

*NB this statement does not extend to any comedy value that can be extracted from the project

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

tbh they absolutely could have rode out the criticism. it’s shocking how unprepared they were though.

i doubt any of these clubs even have a risk analysis or due diligence report sitting anywhere on their desktops. it’s always been shocking how unprofessionally these multi-billion dollar organizations are run.

lol if you think that people like Agnelli or Perez are capable of processing any risk analysis or due diligence report that doesn't say "you are awesome and your idea is brilliant and there is no risk, only money for you in its execution"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Syncopated posted:

https://twitter.com/MilanEye/status/1384625465424416771?s=20

UEFA has correctly identified the enemy and the weak spots I guess?

I hope this is true because if correct and Juventus is also without a "here's more money" proposal, then this is just the right amount of evil to almost vindicate UEFA's conduct*

*in this specific matter only

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

As much as I hate Perez. That's the end of my post.

Mutual annihilation would be great

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there is, in principle, a way to ensure any form of "fairness". You can take commerce out of the equation and nothing will change. The Soviet league, which did not involve any commercial element, was prone to having a limited number of clubs dominate for a better part of any given decade: there hasn't been a point since the 1950s when Spartak Moscow, Dynamo Moscow or Dynamo Kyiv wouldn't have been title contenders for any appreciable length of time.

It is possible, however, to at least maintain the mechanical possibility of promotion/relegation because that allows for gradual power shifts over time. Even City and PSG didn't start winning instantly on becoming rich

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I really want to see the contract
There's many a variable and all of the above posters may be completely correct or hilariously wrong
Too bad we'll never see it

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's unfortunate that they can't kick Real out of this year's CL anymore because Real took care of it themselves

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

It could be antitrust etc

Still you can't take away the inherent difficulty in arguing that you are screwed over by a cartel when you are an even more of a cartel

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

It might have been created for that but their reach has been stretched to cover anything regarding sports. Seems like a good idea to be honest.

I actually wonder who pays for it to exist, like does Swiss tax money fund it? Is it a public court?

Arbitral institutions generally get initial funding from whoever established them and then function off of fees for administrative costs. CAS' schedule of costs is here: https://www.tas-cas.org/en/arbitration/arbitration-costs.html
Economically what an arbitral institution does is it provides a commercial service for dispute resolution outside of state court systems.
The biggest reasons anyone uses arbitration in general in cross-border context are confidentiality (no public court, no public hearings etc.), limited possibility for appeal (lawyer stuff, don't bother) and the international framework that allows to enforce foreign arbitral awards almost anywhere worldwide (unlike state court judgments - these are often unenforceable outside of wherever they were made). Look up the 1958 New York Convention for more on that
These reasons initially drove most sports bodies to put arbitration clauses into their statutes and eventually CAS monopolized the sports dispute resolution in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

There's always going to be a threat until the money gets cut off from the project. FAs need to start inserting more exclusivity clauses in their broadcasting contracts somehow, so Sky would lose the PL if they showed matches that weren't officially sanctioned by UEFA/FIFA/whatever.

Most jurisdictions (and certainly almost all that matter in terms of market size) make exclusivity clauses very hard to enforce because it's difficult for an exclusivity clause to not be anticompetitive