Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Concerned Citizen posted:

The Super League wants to replace Champions League. UEFA is threatening to ban participants from their domestic leagues. I can't imagine that ban actually happens because it would be absolute suicide.
Why would it be suicide? After all, the Super League's plan is to basically nuke the UEFA model and keep all the spoils for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DrWrestling69 posted:

Relegate every one of these team except arsenal. Relegate them twice.
Arsenal: one of Europe's mightiest teams and also ten points behind West Ham in the Premier League and also closer to relegation than they are to a top-two finish.

CyberPingu posted:

The only thing this benefits is the owners and the player agents who are eyeing up £10m+ signing bonuses
Wasn't it a Juventus exec who said not long ago that aside from signing bonuses not a single thing in a player contract should be guaranteed?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

J.P. Morgan Chase bank has been confirmed as the official money men behind all of this.

You might remember them from the Enron scandal
or the WorldCom scandal...
or their UK banking scandal...
or their Overcharging Active-Duty Military on Mortgages scandal...
or the Class-Action lawsuits against them (I've been part of one of them!)...
or their California Energy Market scandal...
or the Subprime Mortgage scandal...
or the Bernie Madoff scandal...
or their Mortgage Racial Discrimination Scandal...
or their Market Derivatives scandal

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 19, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

:d2a:

I do find it kind of funny to see the PL crying about a breakaway league for money but yeah this is a poo poo American import and it sucks for football.
An American import but yet look who the Chairman is: good old Florentino

And even if it's an American import it's a terrible version of an American import. The closed leagues with restrictive player policies? Those have often come into force in recent years due to owners of smaller-market teams playing hardball and forcing big-market owners to make concessions and not the other way around. And the four "major" pro sports leagues in the US? Three of them are the way they are now because competing leagues merged or combined functions instead of having teams gently caress off and do their own thing because they thought they were better than everyone else.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 19, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

They're going to find him dead at his desk trying to finish the unwritten final panel.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

wait until US Arsenal fans realize that Stan Kroenke is a cheap fucker and only wants this Super League for the easy payouts, and Arsenal gets clowned on by the European elite every year and ends up in the bottom half every season
I might be way late on this but many US Arsenal fans are probably very familiar with Stan Kroenke because he's been famously cheap with the multiple pro sports teams he's owned in the USA, including the one he moved across two time zones in order to get a better stadium deal.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 20, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not sure about that, because Matt Bruenig is frequently a goddamn moron capable of top-shelf Galaxy Brain takes. Matt Yglesigas, on the other hand, just tries to openly bullshit his way through his own ignorance.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

hump day bitches! posted:

Florentino Pérez as the chairman is a bone chilling thing , any other team not RM should be concerned.

He has driven RM into a debt hole 1B deep, has crushed and burned more than one project, he has his tendrils in the most corrupt economic sector of the Spanish economy ( construction) and he’s responsible for quite few deaths in the aged care systems in Spain.

gently caress I hate this garbage and it’s making me into a third world Maoist reactionary combo.
Yeah. For all the American money going into this, it's still Florentino's metaphorical baby.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

biglads posted:

I'm kinda hoping for Honved, Dukla Prague & Red Star Belgrade tbh.
Galatasaray just for the other ESL teams having a fun little away trip to Turkey.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

He sometimes gets into very extended bits where one is no longer sure whether he's joking after a while, like his fixation on gas ranges behind unhealthy
That was exactly what I was thinking of.

Karl Sharks posted:

if you say "players salaries are to blame" the only subject in that is the player, so the fault is linked to them
Every time someone says this I want to ask them how many people had guns to the owner's head to make them agree to give the player that much money. Maybe they feel like they didn't have a choice. Guess what? It's still their fault if they knowingly rack up unpayable debts.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Why would the game between Spurs at 14th and Inter at 8th on the table be more intense if there's no relegation or competition to qualify for at the top of the table? Hoping to get into the playoffs?
The European Super League Cup

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Florentino Perez posted:

“Football must evolve like everything in life. Football has to adapt to the times we live in now. Football is losing interest, TV rights are decreasing.

:wtc:

The man literally does not inhabit this plane of reality.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 20, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Algol Star posted:

Copa de la Superliga
The winner gets the Florentino Perez Trophy

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I would very much like to know what America did to deserve James loving Corden

It seems like he's everywhere too

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheRat posted:

I mean, the list is quite long.
It seems like an extra-special punishment tho

I've been accidentally subjected to that fucker rapping

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's kind of like when companies get so big that they literally factor in fines and litigation costs into their business model. They know they're into all kinds of shady poo poo but they really don't care as long as they can avoid too much negative PR.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

The Spanish banker who created the controversial new European Super League has promised the new JP Morgan-backed competition will pump €400m (£350m) into the national leagues that the elite clubs plan to leave behind.

Anas Laghari, a partner at the Madrid bank Key Capital and the newly appointed general secretary of the Super League, said the new league would reignite younger people’s love of football and end the “madness” of big money transfers.

Laghari, a close friend of Real Madrid’s billionaire president and majority-owner Florentino Pérez, told the French newspaper Le Parisien that the new closed league was essential to make elite football profitable for owners.

Oh look more shitheads connected to Real Madrid.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sassassin posted:

Recent wages to turnover ratios for the poor little PL clubs:

In the Championship it starts at 100% and rises.
It's interesting that none of the six joining the Super League are that bad as far as wages go. Hell Tottenham at under 39% is kind of startling.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

Tottenham has a different major expense occupying their attention right now.
Oh for gently caress's sake I forgot about the stadium didn't I

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Real Madrid just needs to find 11 other random teams to make Super League 2

Real Madrid
LA Galaxy
Chivas (Mexico suspended pro/rel)
Create a team based in Dubai

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently the Chelsea players met with management and a bunch of them said they weren't going to play for the club if they were banned from FIFA internationals.

So many lol's

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

General Probe posted:

If the ESL fails before it gets off the ground are Madrid/Barca going to appeal directly to UEFA for more money? The way I've been reading this is that clubs are doing this out of either exceptional greed or desperation due to current debt loads.

Surely their next move is to say "give us more money or else some of the most popular clubs among plastics will fail depriving UEFA of the same money"
Here's my question: The seed money for this thing from J.P Morgan Chase is actually in loans, so if it's already been given out what the gently caress do they do because that hundreds of millions of Euros of extra debt on Real Madrid and Barcelona

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

General Probe posted:

I just assumed that money had not yet been disbursed.
I'm assuming it has because that would just be loving hilarious

dex_sda posted:

give it back probably
Considering all the poo poo JP Morgan has pulled over the last 20 years they're probably not the type to let even a billion-dollar business pay back a loan early without penalties.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Scientastic posted:

Does this mean I don’t have an excuse to stop supporting Arsenal? I was quite looking forward to it...
Arsenal's owner is plenty enough reason to stop supporting them.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lost in all this is that the most evil of the owners in this mess might actually be the AC Milan owner if you look up his history. He's the one that bought Argentinian debt and then used that leverage to seize an actual goddamn warship.

IIRC he got AC Milan by loaning money to their owners, they missed a payment, and then he took the whole drat club in return

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1384580215016460288

:laffo:

Oops just got my rear end beat

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the day just keeps getting better

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

theghostpt posted:

LMAO

Imagine losing your job over this, what a loving moron
NOBODY fucks over the Glazer boys and gets away with it!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ozmunkeh posted:

Please can the super league be just barca and real playing each other twice a week forever.
That should just be what the Spanish FA does with the two of them: put them in their own "non-league" division with no pro/rel and they can play each other 38 goddamn times a year.
Not true, because this is funny.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Another amazing thing about it all is that after the New York Times scooped the whole plan instead of giving some mealy-mouthed plausible denials everybody involved just went "gently caress yeah we're gonna do this and be legends".

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Total Meatlove posted:

They could just offer Messi equity for wages and write off €400m of that
Lionel Messi is a footballing autist but I'd still like to think he's smart enough not to agree to be given equity in a team that's ten figures in debt in lieu of actual wages.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

peanut- posted:

Juve merda

Someone take the old lady out back and shoot her

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lemon posted:

600 posts a day on the deadest forum
This isn't Trad Games ya eejit

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently they're all going to have a Zoom meeting now

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Frank Mccourt also now owns ... Marseille, I think, and the fans don't like him at all
Is he paying a Russian psychic six figures to try to influence the results like he did when he owned the Major League Baseball team?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sassassin posted:

Carragher's patting everyone on the back for a job well done
"Hey guys thanks for not nuking downtown lets go get some beers"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I will definitely believe a site named Mundo Deportivo that makes my ad blocker go thermonuclear

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Now the Guardian liveblogger is saying AC Milan is OUT

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bundy posted:

When you stopped posting here did you go into cryo freeze and just come out? This is the internet now
Okay wiseass I know to expect ad service at the current stage of the Internet we're but when I opened the link AdGuard started pinging at drat near the rate I get when I go to something via social media without realizing I've hosed up and clicked on a Daily Mail link.

EDIT: And truth be told I wish it was cryofreeze. In reality I had a child in October that was delivered via emergency C-section that became infected and had to be re-opened and I had to play at-home wound packing nurse for 2+ months while caring for the newborn while also working, with nothing but remote help thanks to the pandemic

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

lol i literally had to google this to believe that it was a real team that actually exists, and I'm old enough to remember watching Total Network Solutions play
Minor league baseball teams have some amazing names. Also Japanese baseball teams, i.e. the Nippon Ham Fighters.