Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This is total garbage and I’m disappointed, though not surprised at all, to see Milan in there.

From what I read in the Italian papers today, UEFA is building some legal case against this, including barring not only the clubs, but the players from playing in all uefa competitions which includes internationals. That also includes leagues themselves, meaning that this dumb pile of friendlies would be the only thing the listed clubs could play in.

It really does stink of American bullshit and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Juventus owner Andrea Agnelli has officially resigned from the UEFA executive committee.

I guess all I can say is lol.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

BWV posted:

Is there really that much more money in this than CL/Europa league. I get that for the English teams it's nice to know they'll always have a spot but Barca, Madrid and PSG already have such unfair advantages with regards to domestic league that it's not like their spot was ever at risk. Or is the plan to do this AND Champions League, in which case, who the gently caress wants to watch that much? Although I guess with all the extra games they can finally have game time for all the talent everyone hordes.

PSG and City are incredibly not involved, I’m guessing precisely because of what you mentioned. Bayern the other noteable absentee with a vice grip on their domestic league.

Gorn Myson posted:

Void the seasons of all of these clubs. Forfeit their results and tell them they won't be playing again. Get Rodger's Leicester to take the title from Klopp's Liverpool. Its what they loving deserve. Oh, and void Liverpools title anyway, and I say this as a fan.

Inter are about to win the title and honestly it would own if this happened and Atalanta get it instead.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

UEFA are threatening to cancel the remainder of this year's CL and declare PSG the winner, and stage an EL final with Roma vs Villareal.

:amen:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Leeches like Raiola and Mendes must be making GBS threads themselves with anticipation of the paydays they’re going to get if this goes through.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jose posted:

Seems to me they'd be more worried about this loving up their gravy train

Think about the money they can demand if clubs know they’re getting huge amounts regardless of what their “league” results are.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

sassassin posted:

The clubs won't need good players, though.

That’s a good point

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Reset Smith posted:

Looks like both Dortmund and Bayern have rejected their invites

I’m sure that Red Bull team will be happy to take their place.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Very convenient that Liverpool decided to tap out of the premier league the night before they had to play Leeds at elland road

Agnelli said last year that Atalanta shouldn’t be in the champions league because they’re just a provincial side that got lucky one year and the day after Juve lose to them he announces this.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Aside from the huge lol of modern Milan being included in this, it’s especially infuriating because we’re coming off the best season in 10 years that would have likely qualified us for the CL. I’ve been waiting for this for a decade for fucks sake.

Is it possible to blame Gazidis for this

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CAZZIDIS!!!!!

Also I know we’re all in agreement here but can we appreciate the irony of a UEFA executive calling someone else a snake and a liar

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Bayern Munich statement:

Translation from German: you fools, you utter fools, we were about to get more money out of the Champions League and use Covid as a chance to crack down on player salaries and agent fees, and now you've ruined that.

The German teams and PSG trying to spin this is really some excellent PR work. Not only do they get on everyone's good side but now they are the undisputed and absolute rulers of what is left of the CL.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

sassassin posted:

How would it show favouritism to every side?

The referees are going to make an absolute killing with this

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

brown envelope manufacturers throwing an absolute world ending rager right now

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bundy posted:

It is the one thing in the "pro" column thus far

Do me a favor and stop posting this meme please, it’s gross.

E: not you specifically, everyone.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

bawfuls posted:

yup, all of these are inevitable if this gets off the ground

do the players have a union? If not they'd better form one asap

Players have a pretty strong union in FIFPRO and most domestic leagues have their own players unions as well.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Just lol if you think PSG is some sort of moralistic group; the only reason they haven’t been in to this is because BeIN has broadcast rights to the CL and they don’t want to devalue that by leaving. As soon as that poo poo dries up they’ll be in this thing.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

cadfael posted:

You think any german club owners that wernt subject to their countries ownership rules are quitely in this camp?

Leipzig because Red Bull. 100%.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

everybody will be thrilled to watch 10th-most valuable franchise The Tottenham Hotspurs, at 10th in Group A, play their dead ringer final match against 11th-most valuable franchise The Milan Internationals, at 9th in Group A, with playoff hopes long since gone, because those matches are more meaningful and popular than watching those same teams struggling to finish 4th while playing against teams fighting not to get relegated from a real league. This is the defining premise behind the Super League, and it's proven because everyone's favourite matches are the ones at the end of the season where two midtable sides who will neither get relegated nor get into Europe battle it out to see who finishes 11th.

These matches are good in Italy because you can try to figure out who is getting paid by a betting syndicate to give up a goal in first half injury time or get carded in the 32nd minute

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

oliwan posted:

Lots of spirited discussion itt, lots of new posters and so on. Gigi, if you need an IK to manage it all I'm standing bye.

Thank you oliwan I will let you know if you need to autoban :twisted:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

But seriously other than the guy who was unaware of the existence of Portuguese this thread has been good. Thank you everyone.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Looke posted:

nah james corden can gently caress off the stupid fat oval office

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

https://twitter.com/jimpallotta13/status/1384317932654800898?s=21

This is Roma’s former owner, another American businessman who sold the team this year (to another American businessman). It’s weird to see him have this opinion, though I’m sure it’s just a nice PR move.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vando posted:

can't believe brexit saved football

It’s staying home

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jippa posted:

I keep reading that owners/chairmen etc "didn't expect this reaction". That has to be nonsense right?

I mean these people are so far detached from reality in general that I can absolutely believe it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

One thing to note is that the reaction hasn't been the same outside of England. Juve, Milan, and Inter supporters are largely saying "well let's just see how this plays out". So I can see how maybe the English clubs were caught off guard.

A lot of the Milan guys I follow on various social media are using the "UEFA are also a bunch of criminals so of course I don't like it but what is the alternative". I can't say I agree because it's more than just Super League vs. UEFA, but then again these are guys who's job is to have lovely takes to drum up views so who knows. What you can say is that nearly every manager outside of Pirlo, Conte and Pioli have come out against this, and even Pioli just refused to talk about it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Everyone knew something like this would happen though. I still honestly think that the SL was a ploy for bargaining with UEFA and the first hope was to stay in the current system. I honestly don't know if they'd have gone public without the NYT breaking the story.

I agree with this as well. Never forget that UEFA are still the money grubbing cunts they’ve always been.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

:bustem:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I want to see Gazidis's head on a loving pike at the San Siro after this.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Here's my question: The seed money for this thing from J.P Morgan Chase is actually in loans, so if it's already been given out what the gently caress do they do because that hundreds of millions of Euros of extra debt on Real Madrid and Barcelona

Nothing because none of this money is real

For real though I expect somehow we as fans will be paying for it via TV subscriptions and tickets and whatnot.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

Let's hope the americans try to cling on a little longer for maximum laffs

I think the last two are going to be RM and Juve, but yeah I fully expect the Americans to hold on as long as possible.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

theghostpt posted:

Some talks that Agnelli is also gone :laugh:

Yeah some mafioso probably murdered him when this started to fall apart.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

:bisonyes:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Whats the story here

It's the history of Paul Singer and Elliott financial

https://www.businessinsider.com/hedge-fund-elliott-capital-management-seizes-ara-libertad-ship-owned-by-argentina-2012-10

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

They are absolutely some of the worst cunts, but the one thing they had over the previous owners was actual money, not just made up money. Now hopefully they have to sell to someone else.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Yeah they have to bury the body first.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Meeting of the failed super league where they try to figure out how to steal all the money in private instead of in public starts at 23:30 CET supposedly.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

gonna get this uploaded lol, gimme a day and I'll hand em out to the super posters

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I expect all of you new jacks to stick around for what is going to be an exciting final few match days!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Embarrassing silence from the loving clowns at Milan.