Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Random advice/thoughts on setting up audio in OBS. Note that while I myself have a GoXLR, this is NOT contingent on that. You can do this regardless of how you pipe audio in.

Get rid of your global audio sources! Add them to scenes as you need them. This is especially useful if you do things like use BRB screens or prep screens etc. so you don't have to even think about muting/unmuting for them.

This will help solve the 'oops i forgot to unmute' issues and any oopsies like bathroom noises when going afk etc.

Wipe these out.

Go into your scenes and add Audio Input Captures or Output Captures depending on your needs. In my case I have two sources, Broadcast Mix from my GoXLR and NvidiaBroadcast since I use the filters on my mic.

Below is my 'prep screen' for comparison. Only audio source on it is my bgm. Same goes for my brb screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Tsurupettan posted:

Random advice/thoughts on setting up audio in OBS. Note that while I myself have a GoXLR, this is NOT contingent on that. You can do this regardless of how you pipe audio in.

Thanks for this stuff. I'm working on switching from SLOBS to OBS (There's an import function? That rules) and killing global audio makes a lot of sense as I'm setting things up.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The Manticore posted:

Thanks for this stuff. I'm working on switching from SLOBS to OBS (There's an import function? That rules) and killing global audio makes a lot of sense as I'm setting things up.

if you are importing, bear in mind any text sources that automatically update via SLOBS (such as recent follow etc) will turn into regular text strings and need to be set back up through streamlabels or maybe stream elements has something else

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

if you are importing, bear in mind any text sources that automatically update via SLOBS (such as recent follow etc) will turn into regular text strings and need to be set back up through streamlabels or maybe stream elements has something else

I'm using StreamElements for that stuff, so it doesn't seem to have affected anything. That's half the reason I stopped using Streamlabs. (that and my PC is old and weak)

I liked using studio mode or whatever it was called, but mostly it was dense with functions and premium bloat that I was never going to touch. Really enjoying how modular the UI is in plain OBS as well.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

fyi there's some exploity poo poo going around w/ extensions scraping your IP on twitch.

one way to deal with it right now is outright blocking twitch extensions in ABP or uBlock by adding ext-twitch.tv to filters

https://twitter.com/WonderPenguin/status/1421147613433417729?s=20
https://twitter.com/OliviaCrowleyEN/status/1421191317024120834?s=20

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's a bit like using a jackhammer to pound in a nail, since it'll block any extension, good or bad, but maybe there's no choice right now?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Bentai posted:

It's a bit like using a jackhammer to pound in a nail, since it'll block any extension, good or bad, but maybe there's no choice right now?

Oh absolutely, this is definitely burning it all down (temporarily). Hopefully twitch can solve the problem soon. There's SO many bad actors popping up that it's hard to really be safe.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Tsurupettan posted:

fyi there's some exploity poo poo going around w/ extensions scraping your IP on twitch.

one way to deal with it right now is outright blocking twitch extensions in ABP or uBlock by adding ext-twitch.tv to filters

https://twitter.com/WonderPenguin/status/1421147613433417729?s=20
https://twitter.com/OliviaCrowleyEN/status/1421191317024120834?s=20
This doesn't appear to use explicit subdomain wildcards like some people have suggested, so be aware that this only blocks the base domain.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
The VTubeStudio API has a ton of potential to open up dynamic, interactive stuff to Live2D streamers.

It's still only available on the beta branch, because it's only half done right now, but there's a handful of very excited Vtuber devs already making stuff with the bits that have been added so far.

And my entry to that list is hooking it to retro games so that the avatar can change in response to game events:

Quoting my post with more details on the workings:

Vizuyos posted:

The emulator I'm using, Bizhawk, has some pretty flexible support for Lua scripting, so I'm using a script to read Mario's current powerup status and invincibility timer from the game's memory. If the status changes, the script sends a message to a local web server, which reads it to determine Mario's current state. That web server is also connected to the VTubeStudio API, so once it determines that Mario's color has changed, it sends a request to VTubeStudio telling it to change my avatar's colors accordingly.

VTubeStudio recently added an API call for changing the size of avatars, so my next step is adding support for mushrooms. :shroom:

The best part of this is that it's versatile. Not only can it be adapted for any NES game, it can also be adapted for any other console Bizhawk supports with full Lua functionality. I started off as a strategy game streamer, but at this rate I might end up having an extended retro gaming arc.

Vizuyos fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 8, 2022

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Does anyone use a USB gamepad and VTube Studio at the same time? It looks like there’s an issue they haven’t resolved yet (and I’m encountering it now) where the controller just doesn’t respond while VTS is running. Wondering how I can work around this until they fix it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The Manticore posted:

Does anyone use a USB gamepad and VTube Studio at the same time? It looks like there’s an issue they haven’t resolved yet (and I’m encountering it now) where the controller just doesn’t respond while VTS is running. Wondering how I can work around this until they fix it.

What gamepad are you using? I've used my xbox 360 controller while streaming w/ VTS running and haven't had an issue.

Does it occur ANY time VTS is open or is it only when actively tracking? If only while actively tracking, how are you connected? I'm using an iPhone w/ wireless connection, for comparison.

I haven't heard of this so just trying to see where our setup differs.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

What gamepad are you using? I've used my xbox 360 controller while streaming w/ VTS running and haven't had an issue.

Does it occur ANY time VTS is open or is it only when actively tracking? If only while actively tracking, how are you connected? I'm using an iPhone w/ wireless connection, for comparison.

I haven't heard of this so just trying to see where our setup differs.

Using a DualShock 4, Switch Pro, and an 8BitDo controller. Just the software running kills controller inputs even without tracking, but the controllers are still recognized by Steam, Windows, etc. I've toggled controllers in VTS through Steam thinking that might change something but it hasn't.

There's a thread from June in Discussions on the problem, which is the only way I know it's not just me. There's a single dev reply that says they're looking into it.

I can run multiple games simultaneously and the controllers work fine tabbing between them, to be clear. It's just VTS being open at all that's causing grief here.

EDIT: Solved! Running the start_without_steam.bat file in the VTS directory did the trick for me.

The Manticore fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 1, 2021

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

One of my biggest criticisms of twitch's tools is the loving schedule tool was recurring-only and didn't allow day-by-day.

Turns out they're rolling day-by-day scheduling out randomly. Some of my friends have had access for well over a month, others still can't do it.

https://twitter.com/OliviaCrowleyEN/status/1422560263979638785?s=20

Go check if you've got it! So weird to randomly roll out a back-end feature but whatever.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Finally doing the drat thing this week. Live2D model is still a few months away but I'm excited to start streaming!

roobots fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 3, 2021

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

roobots posted:

Finally doing the drat thing this week. Live2D model is still a few months away but I'm excited to start streaming!

I love this aesthetic!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Guess I know what I'm asking both of my riggers for!

This is so loving cool...

https://twitter.com/PierPan2/status/1421864750191845376

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Did my first proper stream tonight (hurray!) but yeesh making sure your outgoing audio stream mix is just right is uh, not the simplest. Ended up having my game audio down so low that it barely came across in the stream unfortunately. I've watched a few videos/tutorials but if anyone has any sound setups they really like I'd love to hear 'em. At the moment I'm using a Wave:3 mic so I have Wavelink software to do software audio control stuff if need be.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sound is extremely difficult to get just right, especially since it's not really standardized. Everyone has different mics, different mixers (if you use one at all!), and different sound settings for certain programs and games. It's why no Vtuber, corporate or otherwise, can seem to get it right 100% of the time, even after testing it.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, it's hard. Usually I try to get everything I'm gonna be using in playback before I go live and then adjust while I can hear it.

Millennium Cyborg
Mar 2, 2021

CG cyborg from the year 2000
My stream audio isn't amazing but it's a lot better than it used to be! I use a Blue Yeti and OBS whereas I imagine you'll be using Elgato's software for your mixing, but maybe some of this will translate.

I think the best advice I've seen in terms of audio mix is simply to make sure your game audio peaks at around the top of the green bar in OBS (-20dB) and your voice peaks at the top of the yellow bar (-9dB). That's what I aim for when I'm checking the volume for a game. I do that *after* I've adjusted the game audio to a comfortable level for my own listening.

I also have a ducking compressor on my audio sources when I remember to add it:

And here are the filters I have on my mic input:

The exact values depend on how you've set your gain on the mic and in the windows mixer, of course.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Millennium Cyborg posted:

My stream audio isn't amazing but it's a lot better than it used to be! I use a Blue Yeti and OBS whereas I imagine you'll be using Elgato's software for your mixing, but maybe some of this will translate.

Ahhhhh this is so useful! I'll definitely use these settings as a starting point to tweak my own stuff. Thanks so much for the help!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I highly recommend also taking local recordings via OBS to listen to rather than only listening to loopback. There are times I've thought I sounded fine when I looped audio back and it turned out to be hosed on stream.

Also finding a friend/mod who will actively tell you your poo poo is hosed up live... My first week or two of streams was none of my friends telling me I had audio issues and I was too afraid of my own voice to listen to playbacks.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Tsurupettan posted:

Also finding a friend/mod who will actively tell you your poo poo is hosed up live... My first week or two of streams was none of my friends telling me I had audio issues and I was too afraid of my own voice to listen to playbacks.

I listened to some of my archived stream from yesterday and the MOUTH SOUNDS are really what's killing me more than the audio woes. Time to futz with my mic positioning and keep some apples nearby.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

roobots posted:

I listened to some of my archived stream from yesterday and the MOUTH SOUNDS are really what's killing me more than the audio woes. Time to futz with my mic positioning and keep some apples nearby.

This may sound strange, but Nvidia Broadcast actually eliminates most of my mouth sounds and I've been using it as SUCH a crutch because I have so many other things I want to work on vocally than training that out.

NVidia broadcast SLIGHTLY flattens my voice, but it completely blocks out every single bit of background noise (construction, fans, -10 hp desk-kun, my IBM model m) as well as eliminating most of my mouth sounds.

Not sure if you have an Nvidia Broadcast compatible video card, but if you do it's worth looking into it for your noise filter.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Tsurupettan posted:

Not sure if you have an Nvidia Broadcast compatible video card, but if you do it's worth looking into it for your noise filter.

I lucked into getting a 3070, so I'll try this! Also it looks like if you don't want to run the full Nvidia Broadcast software package you can just download the Broadcast Audio Effects SDK and load it as an OBS filter. That actually looks like what Millenium Cyborg has set up in their post. Again, thank you all so much for your advice. I know I'm asking a billion questions but it's really useful, and hopefully useful to others who are checking out this thread!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

roobots posted:

I lucked into getting a 3070, so I'll try this! Also it looks like if you don't want to run the full Nvidia Broadcast software package you can just download the Broadcast Audio Effects SDK and load it as an OBS filter. That actually looks like what Millenium Cyborg has set up in their post. Again, thank you all so much for your advice. I know I'm asking a billion questions but it's really useful, and hopefully useful to others who are checking out this thread!

Ah, I've never even looked into that! I just straight up grabbed Broadcast and used the sliders on the microphone filter and never thought twice about it.

Also I've been looking into breaking into tiktoks but haven't really had time to properly edit down videos. Another vtuber I talk to occasionally brought up how valuable tiktoks were for her growth and said she uses https://crossclip.com/ to quickly get her clips and other things made into tiktok format.

It isn't completely free, but I just straight up don't have time to futz with Da Vinci Resolve to edit tiktoks right now so I'm going to investigate it.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Fun fact: You can edit videos directly on Youtube to cut off the start/end, remove bits in the middle, or blur parts of the video...

...but only if the video is less than six hours long.

Currently downloading a six and a half hour long Stellaris VOD to make a couple minutes worth of edits :qq:

On the bright side, I made local recordings, so I'm just downloading it from my backup system, instead of having to pull it all down from Youtube. I'll still have to reupload it afterward, though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Funner fact: Editing livestreams disables chat replay.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Funnest fact: I'm a bitch and people love me for it

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For all the VTuber Studio users.

https://twitter.com/iron_vertex/status/1427787739727020035

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

So I hope nobody minds me bumping the thread up, but after months of working on it, I'm finally getting ready to do my own vtuber debut two weeks from now.

https://twitter.com/NephBlackburn/status/1432049823826468864?s=20

And I am also feeling INCREDIBLY loving ANXIOUS over it, but there's no turning back now. :v:

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Tardzilla posted:

So I hope nobody minds me bumping the thread up, but after months of working on it, I'm finally getting ready to do my own vtuber debut two weeks from now.

And I am also feeling INCREDIBLY loving ANXIOUS over it, but there's no turning back now. :v:

I love your design! Glad to see more goontubers!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Good luck I will check it out if I am not working

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Yooo! That's a really nice design! I'll make sure to check you out too!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tardzilla posted:

this design is fuckin' lit.

i rt'd your stuff, i should be able to catch the debut too.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Thanks so much, all! I appreciate the shares and all! It's a project I've been working on and off again for most of the year, and I'm excited and absolutely terrified to get this started for real.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Hell yeah, we need more demon punk bitches

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tardzilla posted:

Thanks so much, all! I appreciate the shares and all! It's a project I've been working on and off again for most of the year, and I'm excited and absolutely terrified to get this started for real.

btw i saw your tweet about elgato capture devices, there's a really cheap usb capture devices that i recommend to a lot of new streamers. i don't personally use it but i've got 8 or 9 friends that do and it looks really crisp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124507931582

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313540479035

the original link i had is dead but either of these should work.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tsurupettan posted:

btw i saw your tweet about elgato capture devices, there's a really cheap usb capture devices that i recommend to a lot of new streamers. i don't personally use it but i've got 8 or 9 friends that do and it looks really crisp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124507931582

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313540479035

the original link i had is dead but either of these should work.

Do you know of any seller of those who'll ship to Canada?

*at a non-ruinous rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Quackles posted:

Do you know of any seller of those who'll ship to Canada?

*at a non-ruinous rate

In case Amazon is easier for you, there are a bunch of these on there

https://www.amazon.com/Generis-Upgr...30360330&sr=8-8