Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Just for fun, I'm using free mind-map software to map the paths of the book. I'm highlighting any nodes which force the player into death in red, and there's a surprising number of those.

quote:

Reference 220 posted:

You are suspicious of this mysterious figure. You back out of the arch and poke your head into the one next to it. This one is also dark. But from somewhere in the darkness you can see a faint glittering, as if tiny raindrops are sparkling as they fall. You cautiously step in to investigate. You reach a pile of rubble lying on the ground. Stones are scattered about as if from a wall which has recently collapsed. You could easily cross the rubble and make for the twinkling lights. While you are considering whether or not to do so, a crash is followed by a shower of dust as a rock falls from the ceiling! Will you climb through regardless, to investigate the glittering lights (turn to 56), or will you leave this alcove and try another (turn to 85)?

I might have missed it, but does going to 85 do anything different, or is it just another path to death/soft-lock? ...It's almost certainly a game over since most of the other choices around it feed into 405, which is death.

Other possible routes are to fight the rock demon or to escape south from the rock demon, but I don't have high hopes for those either.

I want to go to 85 and see if that's just death or not. If it is just death, backtrack to where those three hobbits were killed (2), then go 153 - East, then 232 - North, because I think that route is also new.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FredMSloniker posted:

So no, that doesn't help.

Wow, so that means that every single thing which happens after you decide to smash down the doors which are two references east from Reference 2 leads to death. Amazing.

Take the plate, that looks interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 28, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The only way out is the way we came, so might as well investigate the black cloth which will cause us pain and suffering.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Grab for the Torches.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wasn't there already a pool of shimmering liquid which turned out to be a death pit? This is probably the same thing. So, assuming that's death, the second choice is holes of light.

Either way, I'm certain that we're already dead or stuck because by not going to 280, we missed the chance for the adventurers carrying the gift of understanding language, and I suspect that is required to win.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I mean, we could try taking the gold coins instead of the pendant or bracers, but that doesn't feel likely to be useful. We could try eating the human corpse instead of the manic beast corpse, but that's also likely to send us back to 293. We could try fighting the Rock Demon, but that's probably going to filter back to 450 anyway.

So... looking at the state map I've compiled, 241 looks to be the only likely path forward. With the Gift of Language, With the Pendant, With the Crystal Club, With the note to pass to Legionnaire 29.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
430 - Let's see what happens.

I think I've found the most likely spot for the necromancer's lair, but I'll wait until we're stuck again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Following Hannicus's directions say to go east continuously, until you go to the lair of the Chattermaster, and then you are supposed to go north, but going North puts you into a looping series of passages which leave you stuck, and from there, there is no way to get back to the Rock Demon you need to defeat so you can read the parchment which has the other clue you need.

The error is that you have to go east, then north immediately, before you reach the Chattermaster lair.

So from 138 -> 15 -> 436 (Ignore the stuff) -> 49 (go East) -> 457 -> 122(Cross Bridge) -> Go North to 154 here, not east -> 396 (Break down door, still don't go east).

We still need find the lair, but I think I know where to do that. We'll need the Crystal Club as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 30, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FredMSloniker posted:

That's, uh, kind of the important part. If what you describe is the error, how does it help us to be on 396?

I'll interpret that as "tell me where you think the lair is".

396 gives the option to read the parchment, which triggers the Rock Demon fight. If you choose to fight it (327) you can then read the parchment (192), then you are forced to 365, which sends you into the loop. If we have the pendant, we can go to 20 and find the secret door which goes to 40. Entering the secret door goes to 296.

Normally, that is death. But the text for 192 says "If at some time in the future you believe you have located the entrance to Marr's netherworld, deduct the page number above from the reference you are on at the time and turn to this reference." 296 - 192 = 104. So, if I'm right, reference 104 should lead to the Necromancer encounter.

I guess that was entirely wrong.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 30, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I do believe we already have the solution for this.

quote:

Reference 360 posted:

You have no wish to give the ring back to the blind wizard. It may prove very useful to you in the future. And, apart from that, you think it looks splendid on your finger. The old wizard wants you to lead him away, but your attitude is mixed. He may slow you down and you have learned all his useful information. You stand up, brush him aside, and leave. If you come across Darramouss, you may use the ring as follows. When you are given the option to grab him and do battle, add 50 to the reference you are on at the time and turn to this new reference. Now turn to 138.

Let's see, we were given the option to grab him on page 90, so... 140, I think?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Drink the water, which I imagine will be just as lethal as bathing in it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Attack Thugruff. This will go badly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hide. It won't help.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
We've seen three settlements. One conscripted us into slavery or escape into death, another threw rocks at us when we got close, and when we tried to go to the market in the third settlement, we were killed and eaten. Where else are we going to spend this gold? Pay the woman.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ah, this is where the dead half-orc came from. We weren't around to help so the human killed the half-orc. So that means that helping the Half-Orc is probably the correct choice. This book is not about making the right choices. Attack the Half-Orc.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

quote:

When fire meets ice, who ends the fight?
Who stands between the two?
His symbol keeps them both apart,
Not red, nor white, but blue.

I think that the jug of water is the correct answer. The swords painted blue is the tricky decoy, but water is also blue, standing between the red of fire and the white of ice. Let's try the swords as the wrong answer.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I figured it couldn't be the crown, it literally standing between fire and ice, it being the middle door, and the crown being a symbol of leadership, such as where the leader we're looking for would be, it was too obvious.

I say that the Swords and the jug are safe.

quote:

When fire meets ice, who ends the fight?
Who stands between the two?
His symbol keeps them both apart,
Not red, nor white, but blue.

Lets go line by line.

A) Water ends the fight, because fire melts ice creating water, water extinguishes fire, leaving water behind (not AS much water as there was in the mass of ice, but still).
B) Fire melts ice, creating water between the fire and the ice, standing between the two.
C) See B, the water keeps the fire and ice apart, keeps them from touching
D) Water is associated with the color blue because of the way it refracts and scatters light.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jNklBqVCA

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That feels lazy, even for this book. "The mirror is uninteresting. You decide not to check anything else out and leave".

Look at the Desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think it was 333. So that would be... 361?