Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Friday before a week of PTO for leaving NC; I have one hour of on-call left and a 1:1 before I think nothing of computers for several days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukes Mayo Clinic
I look forward to your Escape from Beer.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
I’m vaguely worried that my company might catch fire while I’m on parental leave:

- Voluntary attrition is spiking, concentrated amongst the customer-facing implementation engineers who have the most direct operational experience with the product.

- Almost all slack messages sent are DMs.

- Projected runway is based on projected revenue from customers who’ve yet to get their hands on the product in any fashion.

- Support gets tickets daily with “my sales rep stopped answering my emails”

- We’ve “pivoted” internally twice in six months

- In just over a year I’ve had three different titles on four different teams.

… the list goes on, but I’m just augmenting my worry over what is probably not that drastic. Yet.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

My gtfo shoes are laced.

They pay me juuuuust enough for me to put up with the madness; in spite of it all we do really cool poo poo. Just makes me sad how much better we could be doing… everything.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Gramps posted:

I'm hoping they just leave me the hell alone, but that's probably a big ask.

Stranger things have happened!

Meanwhile we’re placing casual bets on which juggernaut will buy us out for our customer base and the couple dozen lines of code that matter.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
When your PM keeps track,
of task state using slack,
that’s agile

When you spend your work time,
keeping tickets in line,
that’s agile

product planning meeting includes a line item for “address basic gaps in service offerings” which is encouraging I guess but that one line’s doing an awful lot of lifting.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Made a breakthrough on some code crap for work, which felt good!
:stoked:
And then behind that breakthrough I found a lot more poo poo I need to fix.
:negative:

If a codebase is old enough, it’s like working on an old house. Both are full of spiders and maddening decisions by previous owners/authors.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Today in researching one problem (unrelated to previous problem posts) I made too many large queries and ultimately caused an internal outage for about 30 minutes. I am available as a consulting gremlin.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Dukes Mayo Clinic
stay strong EFN and I hope you get an incredible night’s sleep after that bullshit.

Currently in the full grip of gently caress-this-place after yet another reorg/pivot. It’s now as if we’re offering tech debt as a service and every day I am screaming internally at the poo poo I see new managers doing in slack.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
department meeting was a hoot.

“so effectively we misled our customers about what our poo poo does?”
“yes. yes we did.”

full marks for candor but wish we’d stopped digging this pit months ago when we all screamed it was full of piss and as a company we doubled down on pissing harder. Even if we piss it full and swim to the top… it’s still piss, man. Ugh.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Meanwhile, my enemy this week is Salesforce and the terrible terrible things people do with it. “Let’s also pull this field” has turned into two days of how the gently caress did we store this, who did it like this, and how long ago did they quit?

I just wanna play music all day and not have to give a poo poo about data rot; it would be nice to make a living doing so in a way that didn’t suck the joy out of musicmaking.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Dr. Honked posted:

i had to touch a salesforce once and i don't want to go there ever again

I made it fifteen years touching computers without ever having to touch a salesforce. Now I’m the last one to have touched it—thus de facto expert—and my life will never be the same after staring into this abyss of a system.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aptly demonstrating that the worldwide empathy network of Salesforce-touchers is the only good thing about this pile.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Cardi BYOB posted:

hahahahahahahaha gently caress

:(:hf::(

Dukes Mayo Clinic

we’re protected by the stairs
posting helps relieve the cares

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Please join me in congratulating an utter sociopath on his promotion into VP of all of my poo poo as I continue polishing my resume and thinking about IT jobs at the chair factory.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Edward Fingerhands posted:

I had an interview yesterday, I have nine more scheduled, and I'm actively pursuing jobs elsewhere.

I have done all I can for this place and I deserve benefits and a real wage.

hell yes, get yours.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Buttchocks posted:

... I just wish our timesheets weren't bound in human skin and printed in a dead language.

A circle of salt around your desk may be advisable? I’d consult your employee handbook if it too isn’t alive and gibbering.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Leaving oldjob and starting newjob has been a wild turnaround. What do you mean, we have budget for this? I can just open a ticket for hardware I need? People acknowledging my working hours when scheduling meetings? Posting explanations as a followup to “this is fixed?!”

If I’m dreaming no one wake me up.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Buttchocks posted:

You are a brave and rare soul. You definitely break the mold.

:shroom::argh:

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Heather Papps posted:

blarg. gently caress.

:(

at least it sounds like y’all doing the best that you can do under the less-than-ideal circumstances, but dang.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Internet! gently caress this stupid.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright so, hear me out, what if we trained a parrot to respond to stupid questions over zoom, then you get a life sized cut out Chewbecca right and then against the blurred background they won't be able to tell you've pissed off for a turmeric latte!

record ten minutes of empty office from the usual meeting camera, then walk into frame as if you’re interrupting yourself. set this video as your zoom background. see if anyone notices.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Think it’s time to rewrite the CIA sabotage manual as an Agile Best Practices guide and see who notices.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
you’re all hired

Dukes Mayo Clinic
gently caress a job

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Escape From Noise posted:

It's gently caress a Job Friday.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
if all goes according to plan I will be starting at a unionized computertouching job in January.

:stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukes Mayo Clinic

xcheopis posted:

if one has to work for a living, then it's best if one has a good boss

they exist! you find a good one, you hang on tight.