Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Terper posted:

I'm fairly certain Great Ace Attorney 1 has the longest first case in the series.

Yeah that one was basically an entire like 8 hours on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
GAA1-1 is semi-unique since I think it's the only case where the accused has to essentially represent themselves.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll admit it's actually been so long I've actually forgotten most of Apollo justice (and probably dual destinies and spirit of justice) so this is effectively brand new to me!

(that Apollo justice video is definitely coming up and I have not forgotten)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Can you play it one more time, just to be sure?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The return of everybodys favorite dickhead, daryan crescend,, in 3d!!!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Burning on in my heart. Fire.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

GAA1-1 is semi-unique since I think it's the only case where the accused has to essentially represent themselves.

Phoenix does this in the first game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Phoenix does this in the first game.

Does he?

Barry is the client in the first trial. Maya in the second trial. Obviously not in the third. And in the fourth Edgeworth never represents himself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Second day of the second case.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the second half of 1-2 has Redd accuse Nick of killing Mia and then Nick, having been warned of the corruption and blackmail at Redd's fingertips, refuses his public defender and proceeds to defend himself. It's kinda easy to forget that detail in the wackiness of the rest of the case, and with how little it effectively changes (absolutely nothing).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think the most hosed up thing about these games is that there are only two cases in which Phoenix is the defence, Maya the assistant, and Edgeworth the prosecutor, and they are 1-3 and 6-DLC.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also 6-DLC clearly wanted to make Gumshoe the detective, but they didn't want to bring him back for whatever reason, so they just made Ema bungle a bunch of poo poo even though she is consistently a competent detective in any other case.

maybe I'm the only person who's mad about that, but I didn't care for it :mad:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

I think the most hosed up thing about these games is that there are only two cases in which Phoenix is the defence, Maya the assistant, and Edgeworth the prosecutor, and they are 1-3 and 6-DLC.

And the 2nd day of 1-2!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Full cases* :mad:

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 27, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terper posted:

Wait... That can't be right. Dear lord. :psyduck:

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

stev posted:

Wait... That can't be right. Dear lord. :psyduck:

It makes sense considering Edgeworth is only the prosecutor in one game and Maya is usually a defendant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

also 6-DLC clearly wanted to make Gumshoe the detective, but they didn't want to bring him back for whatever reason, so they just made Ema bungle a bunch of poo poo even though she is consistently a competent detective in any other case.

No I was mad too. Just one of many reasons why that case kinda sucks

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

UnderFreddy posted:

It makes sense considering Edgeworth is only the prosecutor in one game and Maya is usually a defendant.

She assists in more cases than she's a defendant!

...By like, 2 cases, in the original trilogy.

She's only the assistant in 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 3-2 and 3-3.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 27, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Partway through AA5 and I gotta say that I really dislike the Perceive mechanic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Partway through AA5 and I gotta say that I really dislike the Perceive mechanic.

Honestly, the only game where I felt it overstayed its welcome is AJ itself, though I haven't played the new collection yet. In DD and SoJ I found I could generally intuit which lines and body parts I was expected to focus on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No I was mad about it too and how obvious they were about it didn't help.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Real hosed up thought AA6-DLC spoilers:
They choose Larry over Gumshoe

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

Honestly, the only game where I felt it overstayed its welcome is AJ itself, though I haven't played the new collection yet. In DD and SoJ I found I could generally intuit which lines and body parts I was expected to focus on.

(AA5-3 spoilers)

I honestly got stuck and had to look up that I had to perceive, of all things, Juniper's scarf. I kept watching her hands, eyes, etc. Didn't even think about looking at a covered up body part.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So I realized Apollo Justice case 3 actually has a direct contradiction. If Lamiroir is supposed to be blind, how did she recognize her brooch when you showed it to her.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Presumably you're allowing her to touch it or describing it to her or something like that.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Speaking of case 3 of AJ, I am completely stuck in the second day investigation. Ema found some thing under a couch but I can’t get it in my inventory or do anything from there? I’ve checkmarked all the dialogue options with everyone, examined everything, I feel like I’ve shown everyone everything I have. Anyone remember how you’re supposed to advance?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

man nurse posted:

Speaking of case 3 of AJ, I am completely stuck in the second day investigation. Ema found some thing under a couch but I can’t get it in my inventory or do anything from there? I’ve checkmarked all the dialogue options with everyone, examined everything, I feel like I’ve shown everyone everything I have. Anyone remember how you’re supposed to advance?

Did you show Ema the switch?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

Did you show Ema the switch?

I guess I don’t have whatever that is, so maybe I missed examining something

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

man nurse posted:

I guess I don’t have whatever that is, so maybe I missed examining something

Yes, the piano on the stage.

I just finished that case, and man they really, really liked that stupid music video.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

coiol posted:

I didn’t get the Natsume Soseki reference until several cases in when he said something about being a cat, then it suddenly dawned on me :sweatdrop:

i love that the cat is named Wagahai

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ulvir posted:

Isn't "wagahai" a fairly arrogant form of the first person pronoun? It perfectly fits a cat.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ulvir posted:

The translation completely gives up when they name the cat, it's so funny. ("Let's name him what Soseki calls himself in Japanese")

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Omobono posted:

Isn't "wagahai" a fairly arrogant form of the first person pronoun? It perfectly fits a cat.

it's a very archaic and formal pronoun, so I guess that tracks if anyone used it today

e: also part of the point in the novel, the arrogance, I mean

ulvir fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 30, 2024

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Also the Japanese title of the book "I am a cat" is "Wagahai wa neko de aru"

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mycot posted:

The translation completely gives up when they name the cat, it's so funny. ("Let's name him what Soseki calls himself in Japanese")

probably almost impossible to convey otherwise I think. most archaic and pompous pronouns I know of are 2nd and 3rd person (granted I'm not a native speaker)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it's an explicit reference to the book. Fun fact: Morgana Persona5 also uses wagahai in Japanese

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

mr. me

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finished AA6-2 and this really feels like a case that should have been swapped with AA5-2.

It's a Trucy-focused case, which AA5 kinda needed since she was otherwise near invisible there. And it brings back Ema, who was in AA4 and is notably completely absent in AA5. Feels like 5-2 was just the 'Fullbright introduction case' to start building the rapport for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I love magicians (serious)