Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
perhaps we've been looking at this all wrong and we should get the guy that shot 50 cent nine times to teach cops shot placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

NoDamage posted:

willie_dee posted:

There’s going to be a cop massively over reacting and killing another black child completely unfairly and they will use the people who are claiming that they don’t think knives are dangerous and that kids should knife fight all the time without intervention, or that cops should let murderers kill people because it’s better optics than cops killing murderers as examples of criticism rather than the vast majority of cases where there’s legitimate criticism to be had.
I'm pretty sure no one in this thread has said any of those things so maybe can you engage with what people have actually written instead of deliberately misrepresenting their opinions to the point of absurdity in order to create easy strawmen to knock down?

Technically you're correct, this wasn't said ITT, even though it was previously quoted. It was originally posted in the Derek Chauvin Trial thread before this thread was created, which is where this killing was being previously discussed.

SchnorkIes posted:

It would've been a better outcome if he had let the girl with the knife do what she was doing to do and then arrested her, even if there was a loss of innocent life. The damage to communities from the State parachuting in and performing street executions is far greater than that from literally anything else.

No strawmen being created with that statement.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 27, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

radmonger posted:

Are there very different figures available than the ones linked below?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585140/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-weapon-carried-2016/

US police kill hundreds of gun or knife armed civilians each year, an order of magnitude more than unknown or unarmed. The expected result of such a killing is that they receive a commendation or promotion, maybe become a local hero and gets drinks bought for them.

Actual full-on police murders of unarmed civilians are inevitably going to be at least partially a case of cops taking the easy route to that success.

Imagine if 95% of school shooters got told ‘good job taking care of those bullies, here’s sponsorship for your YouTube channel’. And then thinking you could change things by keeping that system in place, but focusing on the cases where, in response to that system, some people got killed who were generally agreed to not deserve it.

I mean police being killed I guess deaths would be a better term.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

willie_dee posted:

Firearms officers in nearly every country would of taken that shot and be praised as heroes for saving the girl in pinks life from the attacker.

I sincerely doubt this, not least because it involves a child getting shot. No-one is a hero here.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Firearms officers in nearly every country would of taken that shot and be praised as heroes for saving the girl in pinks life from the attacker.

What if they missed and killed the other one? Say because of some factor outside of the officers control? A shift in the fight that sort of thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

willie_dee posted:

I notice the unintentional implication here that most countries wouldn't value the life of a dead black child enough to stop them from celebrating a homicide.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

I notice the unintentional implication here that most countries wouldn't value the life of a dead black child enough to stop them from celebrating a homicide.

Considering that they unironically used the sharpie test as a stand in for a knife I'm not sure its an unintentional implication.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

The point of posting that video was not "look, the cop didn't shoot the attacker", it was "look, the cop got literally stabbed in the neck and not only didn't die, but was still able to chase the guy down".

Because getting stabbed isn't usually a split second matter of life and death. The cop's result of "spent the night in the hospital and got stitches" is the usual outcome.

Josef bugman posted:

I sincerely doubt this, not least because it involves a child getting shot. No-one is a hero here.

Very much depends on the kind of stab. A random flailing whilst their intended target has wrist control and then running vs a deliberate and sustained attempt to stab a defenceless person is very very different.

After being around events like

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_London_Bridge_attack

and seeing first hand the damage even a tiny knife can do, I can assure you shooting someone actively trying to stab someone is super necessary to save the intended victims life.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

willie_dee posted:

Very much depends on the kind of stab. A random flailing whilst their intended target has wrist control and then running vs a deliberate and sustained attempt to stab a defenceless person is very very different.

After being around events like

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_London_Bridge_attack

and seeing first hand the damage even a tiny knife can do, I can assure you shooting someone actively trying to stab someone is super necessary to save the intended victims life.

Allow me to restate, again, that the UK has as many knife attacks as the US does(per capita), but it's police kill about 3 people a year. So uh....apparently british knife attacks don't actively try to stab people or what?

It's OK to say that de-escalation and disarming tactics can work, you know.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jaxyon posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_London_Bridge_stabbing

The people who intervened in this instance and stopped the killer killing more people were hailed as heroes, not because nobody cares about the murderer, but because they stopped more people being murdered.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Allow me to restate, again, that the UK has as many knife attacks as the US does(per capita), but it's police kill about 3 people a year. So uh....apparently british knife attacks don't actively try to stab people or what?

It's OK to say that de-escalation and disarming tactics can work, you know.

They can work, but they aren’t reliable and British police officers don’t have guns.

It’s very rare for police to roll up and have someone actively try and murder someone in front of them. It’s normally the person has a knife, has made threats or already stabbed someone, and is then detained. Not mid stab as Ma’Khia was.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

willie_dee posted:

The people who intervened in this instance and stopped the killer killing more people were hailed as heroes, not because nobody cares about the murderer, but because they stopped more people being murdered.

Are you trying to agree with me here? Because yes this provides more support for the point I was making.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

NoDamage posted:

That's not quite the same thing as "cops should let murderers kill people". See what I mean about nuance being lost?

Please, split that hair for me, because I know I'm not seeing the difference. Explain it like I'm five.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

willie_dee posted:

The bystanders also did not shoot and kill the person.

Once again, no-one is a hero here. And comparing a tragic and needless death with a terror incident is not something I feel comfortable with.

Also, what the gently caress "Yeah we pulled people off of him when they held him down and shot him" that's awful.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

willie_dee posted:

They can work, but they aren’t reliable and British police officers don’t have guns.

It’s very rare for police to roll up and have someone actively try and murder someone in front of them. It’s normally the person has a knife, has made threats or already stabbed someone, and is then detained. Not mid stab as Ma’Khia was.

So we're agreeing that

1) police don't need to shoot and kill people in a majority of knife situations and that UK cops prove that.

2) Brown lives are valued less than white ones and when shot people are generally OK with that

I'm glad we're seeing eye to eye now with these last few posts.

vvv that too

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 27, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Thread has already escalated Bryant from beserker to terrorist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1386392348247134208

Indistinguishable from this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
This thread has been thoroughly poo poo up, I'm closing it. If you want to talk about police, please go do so in the gently caress the police thread.