Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

reignonyourparade posted:

Four plate armored men with 3 foot clubs could've handled it sure, but the lady in pink would've gotten stabbed first. You might think that's "effective," I certainly don't.

It's certainly better than the outcome we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ryde posted:

They replayed it in slow motion during the press release. The full speed viewing didn’t change my mind because it was too fast to make out, but the slowmo version was clear enough to change my opinion on the matter.

Do police see in slow motion? Because to me it looks like the cop drew before anyone was "almost stabbed" and it's almost impossible to make out what's happening at full speed.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jaxyon posted:

Do police see in slow motion?

They see in better resolution than body cam videos.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The best outcome of course would be no police intervention (or police) at all. I'm pretty sure the cops showing up made this situation escalate drastically until the cops got their "good shoot" especially with the cops heckling people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

SchnorkIes posted:

Four officers on scene, plates and clubs are standard issue almost everywhere because of the rifle threat?

Do you mean kevlar or plates? Neither is particularly great against a knife, it only protects a small area. They're also not getting there before the lady in pink gets stabbed...

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

SchnorkIes posted:

The best outcome of course would be no police intervention (or police) at all. I'm pretty sure the cops showing up made this situation escalate drastically until the cops got their "good shoot" especially with the cops heckling people.

The cops heckled people after the fact though? I don’t think that contributed to the shooting.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
all this postulation about sharpie tests and Four Armored Men feels weird and extremely pointless.

i wish US police had better training to deal with knives because knives are the main threat, instead of having them be hair triggerologists operating in an environment of total gun saturation where they constantly feel within seconds of deadness at the hand of the public.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The YouTube of the fuller, high-res version was posted up-thread. You can even pause and jump to different timestamps as you please!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

SchnorkIes posted:

It's certainly better than the outcome we got.

We’re you one of the posters arguing it was better for Ma’Khia to kill someone and be arrested than the police kill her?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

willie_dee posted:

RIP Ma'Khia, it is awful what happened to her. Lots of people and organisations have clearly failed her. From her parents, foster parents (who were weirdly more concerned with kicking another girls home was on the floor in the head despite police arriving and Ma'Khia trying to stab people), social services, mental health and medical teams and the police as an organisation.

Sadly the officer clearly had no other choice. In the other thread we had goons with a clear lack of understanding or any experience with physical combat, never mind with someone with a knife, arguing the officer had other options. He did not.

[...]

It is awful that the officer was placed into the situation that he was, but his actions were clearly and obvious to anyone who has been involved in physical combat, the only correct option to most likely prevent Ma'Khia stabbing the girl she was lunging at with a knife that she was aiming at her victims head/neck whilst she was pinned against a car holding a dog.
Please, elaborate on the bolded part and explain how her parents are to blame for her death. I must have missed that in the coverage of her killing.

As to the remainder of the quote, your argument that the officer had no other choice ignores the 10 seconds prior to him killing Ma'Khia. During those 10 seconds, before Ma'Khia had one of the women against the car, the officer had a number of choices in how to proceed and what actions to take. Ignoring that time period to focus on the situation in the moment he fires the gun absolves him of all responsibility to make choices in the moments that came before it. It's deeply unclear to me that this benefit of the doubt is remotely justified. Reports have said that Ma'Khia is the one who called the police, it is asking a lot for us to assume that she will attack the officer responding to that call.

In the other thread (quoted in my second post of this thread), you defend the officer's actions because intervening may have put his own safety at risk. Beyond questions about the likelihood of her attacking him, there are many who would disagree with you that Ma'Khia's life is a fair trade for Reardon's sense of safety and wellbeing. Because of the decisions Reardon made, we don't know if Ma'Khia would have deescalated had she been aware the police were on the scene. Because of the decisions Reardon made, we don't know if Ma'Khia would have attacked him. Because of the decisions Reardon made, we don't know if Ma'Khia's attack on the girl against the car was to protect herself or others. Because of the decisions Reardon made, we don't know if his decision to kill Ma'Khia was preventable.

What we do know, from someone who'd know far better than either you or I, is that it wasn't unanimous among witnesses that he had "no other choice". There's ample reason for me to believe that if he hadn't put a greater value on personally avoiding risk than on Ma'Khia's life, she would still be alive today. I suspect, from your "You going to intercept me with a baton? I'll kill you. You going to talk me down? I'll kill you." you also believe that there were options for Reardon that didn't involve killing Ma'Khia. But maybe I'm one of those goons with a "clear lack of understanding".

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

SchnorkIes posted:

So you're saying they should have let the kids knife it out?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

willie_dee posted:

We’re you one of the posters arguing it was better for Ma’Khia to kill someone and be arrested than the police kill her?

If it happened, you can quote it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ryde posted:

The cops heckled people after the fact though? I don’t think that contributed to the shooting.

The fact that cops have an adversarial relationshiop with victims, their families, a history of harassing victims and families is fairly relevant. The fact they replied with a white supremacist slogan immediately after killing a black child is relevant.

What directly contributed to the shooting was the fact that police will kill black people, even children, with very little hestiation. Even if you assume that the dead child was going to kill the child in pink, odds are they wouldn't have been shot so quick if they were white.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jaxyon posted:

Oh you mean the one guy who got probated with a comic panel as the probation reason who was saying there's a possibility the knife was dull?

That doesn't match at all with what you just said. Could you highlight the posts that match up with your timeline of events as described

Because I can link you to the post where a mod/IK asked everyone in the thread to stop strawmannin everyone else.

I posted a video of a guy charging cops with a machete and he got taken in alive.

Not sure if Sharpie guy responded to that.

Keep going back to the bit where the mod warned people to stop posting about knives not being dangerous, which is why the guy that got probated did so for claiming knives could be rusty. That was in the context of the warning iirc.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
^^^ we don't have to go off memory you can just link to the post, digital life is great dude.

willie_dee posted:

Oh hey you're back can you quote the part where multiple people were saying that knives aren't dangerous at all?

Because all I can find is one person saying that it might have been a dull fruit knife.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jaxyon posted:

The fact that cops have an adversarial relationshiop with victims, their families, a history of harassing victims and families is fairly relevant. The fact they replied with a white supremacist slogan immediately after killing a black child is relevant.

What directly contributed to the shooting was the fact that police will kill black people, even children, with very little hestiation. Even if you assume that the dead child was going to kill the child in pink, odds are they wouldn't have been shot so quick if they were white.

I phrased that poorly. I agree with all that. The way Schnorkles phrased it made it sound like he thought the cops heckled them which escalated the situation, which factually wasn’t what happened. That doesn’t make the heckling in any way ok and they should be shitcanned over it.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

If it happened, you can quote it.

SchnorkIes posted:

It would've been a better outcome if he had let the girl with the knife do what she was doing to do and then arrested her, even if there was a loss of innocent life. The damage to communities from the State parachuting in and performing street executions is far greater than that from literally anything else.

Seems like a thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
So again, going back to the video, I'm seeing the cop pull out the gun right when 2 people fell at his feet. Am I getting that right?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jaxyon posted:

So again, going back to the video, I'm seeing the cop pull out the gun right when 2 people fell at his feet. Am I getting that right?

I’ll have to watch it again to make sure but my recollection is that I saw the gun when Ma’Khia was already back on her feet. Which would mean the cop started drawing sometime immediately before that. That’s be approximately after they hit the ground.

We’re talking a timeframe of approx 1-2 seconds so it’s hard to be sure, but that’s definitely one fair extrapolation that could be made, IMO

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I guess I haven't studied any high resolution videos in great detail, but is it clear that pink lady is even actually a target of knife violence and Ma'Khia isn't just literally tripping and falling in her direction?

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 22, 2021

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

hope you all win a lot of internet argument points using the killing of a teenage black girl as a prop

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jaxyon posted:

Do police see in slow motion? Because to me it looks like the cop drew before anyone was "almost stabbed" and it's almost impossible to make out what's happening at full speed.

Coming back to this after the edited comment, the cop definitely drew before the girl in pink was “almost stabbed”. So if you want to argue that the cop escalated prematurely before it was certain there was an imminent threat, I think that’s an argument that could be made.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

I guess I haven't studied any high resolution videos in great detail, but is it clear that pink lady is even actually a target of knife violence and Ma'Khia isn't just literally tripping and falling in her direction?
Why not study the high-resolution video and get a quick answer instead of relying on others to tell you what you can otherwise work out with your own eyes?

Edit: like, not trying to be snarky, I'm just baffled as it sounds like you've watched it at least once and could absolutely do so again

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

I guess I haven't studied any high resolution videos in great detail, but is it clear that pink lady is even actually a target of knife violence and Ka'Khia isn't just literally tripping and falling in her direction?

100%. Ma'Khia WAS falling in that direction, but has already steadied herself, stood back up straight, and shifted her arm to more of a pre-stab position where the elbow is pointed back and the hand is pointed forward, as opposed to a "possibly prepped for a slash, possibly just flailing for balance" position like the whole arm being pointed back could've been.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
I'll be referencing this video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YZ38XAZyQ

Paracaidas posted:

I reject that the officer's only two options were killing Ma'Khia and letting the other girl die. With imperfect information and needing to make a split second decision, the officer chose to kill Ma'Khia rather than attempting any other course of action.

What, if any, were the other options for the officer. In the video at the 1:37 mark Ma'Khia is mid swing about to stab someone else in the upper body area, if she hits an artery that's a dead child. To be clear here, the amount of time the officer had to react between arriving and the stabbing happening was roughly 7 seconds. What could the officer have done in that time frame to prevent him having to shoot Ma'Khia?

Paracaidas posted:

That decision was made by an officer who is a member of a department and profession that places little value on Black life and knows that consequences for killing Black people, even children, are exceedingly rare. There is every indication that the officer's snap judgment was informed by the following factors- A lack of respect for Ma'Khia's life, no fear of consequences for killing her, removing Ma'Khia as a threat to the others at the scene, and removing Ma'Khia as a threat to himself.

You started this thread by stating that we shouldn't strawman other goons, but here you are ascribing all of this stuff to an officer that had roughly 7 seconds to react to a violent situation. This need to ascribe malice and racism to an officer that had 7 seconds to respond to a situation is disappointing at best. I think we've gotten to the point on these forums where many users will react negatively to any officer interaction being discussed regardless of any of the context.

Paracaidas posted:

I'm grateful I'm not in the position to make that call and likely never will be. That doesn't mean that I can't feel he made the wrong decision, one that echoes so many other wrong decisions by officers who look like him that have lead to the assaults and murders of those who look like Ma'Khia. A decision informed by training that coaches him to see Ma'Khia as a threat and, as a threat, someone less worthy of living til tomorrow than himself. A decision informed by a department culture that enabled officers to proclaim "blue lives matter" to bystanders, as if an iota of accountability was threat to their lives.

This situation is very specific, an officer arrived on a violent scene and had 7 seconds to react to what was going on, this does not have any parallels with any other controversial police shooting events in the country. I don't see how any of the systemic issues come into play when someone could have been stabbed within a few milliseconds of the shooting.

Paracaidas posted:

In a thread that largely can't be arsed to spell the dead child's name accurately, that falls back on well worn platitudes about her being failed by her family (while in foster care :shrug:), in which multiple posters have determined that her actions while in fear for her life justify her death at the hands of the officer, I'm not inclined give a lot of credence to the same arguments we heard Nelson give in defense of Chauvin in the preceding days.

In the video of the incident, when the officer arrives, Ma'Khia is the aggressor and chasing several people. She might have been in fear of her life before the officer arrived, but as soon as the officer arrives Ma'Khia is the aggressor and should be treated as such.

Paracaidas posted:

It was a tragic situation with a tragic outcome. Based on the information currently available, I put far more of the weight and blame for that outcome on the officer than I do on Ma'Khia. The officer is the one who pulled the trigger, who did so repeatedly, and who determined in that moment that ensuring Ma'Khia's safety was no longer a part of his responsibility... that killing her was. He's also the one that we as a society (allegedly, are supposed to) hold to a higher standard.

That's fine that you feel that way, but you should then explain what you expect to happen in that 7 second window that wouldn't have resulted in Ma'Khia getting shot or the other girl getting stabbed.

I find the politicization of this incident, here and on twitter, incredibly disgusting. Not every police shooting is racially motivated and not every officer is racist. Buying into that propaganda will not lead to good outcomes.

Paracaidas posted:

We also know that Reardon's fellow officers at the scene felt the need to shout at gathering community members "Blue Lives Matter"
https://twitter.com/_WhatRiot/status/1384672602921209861

You shouldn't post propaganda from twitter randos. On the twitter video it sounds like the person talking the whole time is the bald guy on the left and he's reacting to a Blue Lives Matter sign or flag, I don't believe the officers said anything in that entire clip.

Jaxyon posted:

I've watched the video a bunch of times and poo poo moves super quickly for all the strongly declarative statements being used here, and literally the people on the scene who were there for an hour thought the cop shouldn't have shot.

By the other people, do you mean the guy who was trying to kick the person on the ground or the people who Ma'Khia called the police on? I'm not sure that they're the most reliable rational actors you should appeal to.

SchnorkIes posted:

You had four grown men with plated vitals and clubs, they could've simply beaten her into submission while risking only superficial injury. The "you must only shoot" is if you accept no risk of personal injury.

Are we watching the same video, this never even happened?

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm still not sure why we all suddenly believe in the legitimacy of the police as an institution. The presence of sneering armed white supremacists yelling BLUE LIVES MATTER in a community of color is inexcusable entirely regardless of their actions. No good can come from an illegitimate occupying force, there's no excuses for this, period.

Everyone here claiming to be an abolitionist while arguing weapons and tactics like they're in a cop drama has lost the plot.

This is some next level poo poo. Yes, modern societies require a well regulated and trained police force to function and claiming otherwise is peak onlineism. Also, please don't buy into random twitter propaganda, go listen to the video, the person yelling blue lives matter was the bald guy on the left.

Anyone who wants to blame the cop for shooting Ma'Khia here should honestly ask themselves what they expect him to do, in the 7 seconds that he had, to make sure the situation doesn't end in a shooting or a stabbing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Hi, because this is a heated subject, I'm going to queue big fat probations for anyone who posts like a dipshit in this thread.

Please take a moment before hitting the post button to ask 'does this post suck?' and if it does, please just close the tab and go on with your day. You're free to apply this to other threads, too, but I particularly recommend it in this one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You know how, about a lot of things, we say "oh wow, this is a systemic problem?" This is probably one of those things. We can debate the last 7 seconds of this poor child's life forever, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the more tractable problems are: "how does a 16-year-old foster child come to be involved in a knife fight?" Because, if you prevent that, you've prevented this shooting. And I think there are probably much more interesting and actionable answers to that question than "should a cop use deadly force if they believe someone else is about die if they don't?"

This girl should not be dead; full stop. I'm less certain responsibility for that begins and ends with the police officer who fired the fatal bullets.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Paracaidas posted:

We also know that Reardon's fellow officers at the scene felt the need to shout at gathering community members "Blue Lives Matter"
https://twitter.com/_WhatRiot/status/1384672602921209861

I mentioned this in my big post but I want to single this out because I've seen posters repeat it as if its gospel. The bald guy on the left in the video is the one who's saying Blue Lives Matter, and then he goes on to say "Crazy! It's an insult especially at this place right now". Listen to the video yourselves, don't buy into twitter or other propaganda. Stop repeating bullshit.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So there's one poor quality video and a 2 second segment of this video has a girl falling into another one with two freeze frames being used to imply murderous intent. In context, pink lady seems uninvolved and unworried until the moment the knife girl turns to her, yeah? Is Ma'Khia going fight or flight panic because a cop just drew a gun on her? Is she stumbling and trying to catch herself? Is she trying to stab the pink girl? All of them seem at least equally plausible. Is pink lady recoiling from Ma'Khia or the cop with the gun? It seems like the video won't answer that question, only she can. What if pink lady says Ma'Khia had no reason to attack her?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
If she said Ma’Khia was stumbling and not attacking her and that she was afraid of the gun then yes that would change my opinion.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

You know how, about a lot of things, we say "oh wow, this is a systemic problem?" This is probably one of those things. We can debate the last 7 seconds of this poor child's life forever, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the more tractable problems are: "how does a 16-year-old foster child come to be involved in a knife fight?" Because, if you prevent that, you've prevented this shooting. And I think there are probably much more interesting and actionable answers to that question than "should a cop use deadly force if they believe someone else is about die if they don't?"

I agree with this completely, the system that put Ma'Khia in this position is to blame and it needs to be questioned and fixed immediately because there's nothing stopping situations like this happening again. The way that the police are being framed in this situation is not helpful though. There was basically nothing else the officer could have done in the few seconds he had to react to that situation.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

litany of gulps posted:

So there's one poor quality video and a 2 second segment of this video has a girl falling into another one with two freeze frames being used to imply murderous intent. In context, pink lady seems uninvolved and unworried until the moment the knife girl turns to her, yeah? Is Ma'Khia going fight or flight panic because a cop just drew a gun on her? Is she stumbling and trying to catch herself? Is she trying to stab the pink girl? All of them seem at least equally plausible. Is pink lady recoiling from Ma'Khia or the cop with the gun? It seems like the video won't answer that question, only she can. What if pink lady says Ma'Khia had no reason to attack her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YZ38XAZyQ&t=87s

The video is not particularly poor quality and you can watch it all yourself, the whole shooting took about 7 or so seconds to unfold. This is some weird spin to put on it, Ma'Khia is clearly attacking the girl in the pink and the knife is heading towards her upper body. The video answers all your questions and the decision the officer had to make was do I let someone get stabbed or do I shoot, this is the closest there is to a "bomb threat" situation IRL that I've ever seen.

Terebus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 22, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

litany of gulps posted:

The person in pink with the dog stated that Bryant came after her with a knife. That was in additional bodycam footage from another officer while separating witnesses after the shooting that was released today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6s7HtK9aV8&t=705s

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 22, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Terebus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YZ38XAZyQ&t=87s

The video is not particularly poor quality and you can watch it all yourself, the whole shooting took about 7 or so seconds to unfold. This is some weird spin to put on it, Ma'Khia is clearly attacking the girl in the pink and the knife is heading towards here. The video answers all your questions and the decision the officer had to make was do I let someone get stabbed or do I shoot, this is the closest there is to a "bomb threat" situation IRL that I've ever seen.

At best this is four seconds. Gun drawn at 1:36, girl dead at 1:40. Really, you can squeeze in the edges of that timeline. The video does not answer all questions. The original target of the knife attack falls over at like 1:34, yes? If she was going to be violently knife executed by a mad killer, why did the knife wielding child not jump on top of her? Why does she turn and flee from the cop pulling a gun? Could it be that she was afraid of the gun cop? And yeah, there's a knife in her hand and certain freeze frame images look menacing, but if she's falling and fleeing away from a white man with a gun, which we all can acknowledge is one of the most dangerous things in America, what she has in her hand might point at other people. And again the girl in pink, she certainly didn't seem to be worried before the white cop pulled a gun. It coincided with Ma'Khia turning to her, but why can you ascertain that the knife was the cause of panic and not the gun? Both turned to the pink girl at the same, right?

Kalit posted:

The person in pink with the dog stated that Bryant came after her with a knife. That was in additional bodycam footage from another officer that was released today while separating witnesses after the shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6s7HtK9aV8&t=705s

Ah, yes, thank you for posting a 45 minute police press conference. I'll check out here and wait for the trial.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

litany of gulps posted:

Ah, yes, thank you for posting a 45 minute police press conference. I'll check out here and wait for the trial.

That's why I have it queued up to the relevant part of the video :confused: You can hear it within like... 15 seconds after the video starts from where I queued it up? That's what the "t=705s" I added to the URL is for.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think that sometimes Liberals and Leftists fall into this simple fantasy when we talk about prison reform for example that like 95% of people in prison were just found with weed, so we just need to make better laws, but that's of course not true. A lot of people in prison--although not all--actually did commit really awful crimes that for real actually did. And so the real test of how for real you are about actual reform to criminal justice is are you willing to cry for your fellow people in bondage in prison, the unconstitutional treatment many of them receive, the absurd amount of people imprisoned, and the disproportionate amount of Black people or other marginalized groups imprisoned just because they did a wrong and often very wrong thing.

Ma'Khia Bryant may have hosed up. I don't know enough about her and a lot of the situation seems unclear. From what we're hearing, this may have been a situation where she escalated an act of self-defense beyond her duty to retreat which is of course wrong and yet Black people have been killed in ways deemed just for similar circumstances. But once again, I don't pretend to know.

I don't know what was edited from the video and I think in the end we're going to find ourselves in a situation different than Eric Gardner or Breonna Taylor or George Floyd in which people were murdered for petty and non-life threatening reasons because police wanted to play action heroes. We might find ourselves in a situation where we cannot reasonably call her death murder, or at least a murder committed by one man.

And still we should weep because a child is dead because she hosed up. There are white movie stars who were serial hate criminals in their youth and there are smug white TV personalities who helped provoke a treasonous assault on our democracy who in college openly admired the man who murdered Harvey Milk. The answer might be that in that exact moment--regardless of that officer being a shithead and white supremacist for other reasons--there was nothing else to do besides kill her in that moment.

But we cannot accept the idea that we had to live in a world where Ma'Khia Bryant had to die. We cannot live in a world where any child dies outside of acts of God. Ma'Khia Bryant might have hosed up, but now we never get to know who she could have been. And we should mourn that. We should consider everything that led a child to be in that situation. We should remember the greatest and subtler injustices that everyday burden children like Ma'Khia Bryant.

I'm not really reacting to anyone specific, but that's currently where my head is at with this.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 22, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kalit posted:

That's why I have it queued up to the relevant part of the video :confused: You can see it in like... 15 seconds after the video starts from where I queued it up? That's what the "t=705s" I added to the URL is for.

YouTube has it flagged as offensive content, which breaks your link. But yes, fair enough, you tried to link the relevant content.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PT6A posted:

This girl should not be dead; full stop. I'm less certain responsibility for that begins and ends with the police officer who fired the fatal bullets.

Speaking from having been in group homes, this poo poo actually happens semi regularly and yeah there's like 15 layers of poo poo that should be protecting the kid that are all failing. Hell in one of the rare moments I will volunteer something charitable about cops, it's that from my experiences a bunch of them were legitimately aware that their presence did not help anything with kids in distress and would almost always defer to whatever adults/staff were around who knew the kid and were trying to talk them down. This was more common in smaller towns where cops seemed more likely to know where they were getting called out to.

ironically and horrifically, half the time these freakouts would just end with one of the kids' friends talking them down and then the friend would be the one seen with a knife when a cop rolled up or whatever. Obviously cops actually knowing which places are group homes is easier than knowing where every foster house is, but idk I saw a bunch of knife wielding freak outs not end in anyone getting shot (and the closest was a cop bean bag shotgunning one kid who was running around on a roof with a knife threatening to stab anyone who came up). How to deal with people freaking out is not really a mystery of law enforcement, it's basically been solved: you just give the person space until they cool down and keep aggravating people/factors at a distance. There's some (probably? I haven't watched all the videos) reasonable question here as to whether or not this situation was different/urgent enough to actually require something beyond that, but even if it did, idk why he wouldn't just use a taser or pepper spray or whatever. literally zero reason to roll up with a gun, imo.

To a large extent I agree that this is one part of a huge national discussion that needs to happen about giving state (and federal, for that matter) human services departments even a tenth of the funding they need to adequately serve and protect the kids in their care. Still that's kind of a separate conversation from 'was this an appropriate law enforcement action' and other questions about 'why the gently caress would you escalate straight to shooting someone 5 times' instead of the various steps between 'stop' and 'open fire'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

YouTube has it flagged as offensive content, which breaks your link. But yes, fair enough, you tried to link the relevant content.

Oh sorry, it worked for me but I'm already logged into a youtube account apparently. If you skip to 11:37 in the video, that's where you can hear her speaking to the officer while going to/being put into a squad car.