Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I am sorry but I reject the "sharpie test" as absolutely bullshit killology-level thinking.

I understand that a knife is a deadly weapon but it doesn't just rip through someone's body like a gun going off does. People, very often women, pick up knives all the time to try to defend themselves. Being able to cover someone in ink is only relevant if they are attempting to slash or stab at you. If you want to argue that this girl was an aggressor and an imminent danger to others in this situation then do that, but the idea that the only option for someone moving with a knife is to put them down is wild. Where was the knife when she pushed over the other girl seconds before her death? You can't really see, but I imagine it was already in her hand? So if the cop had shot her seconds before shoving the other girl, would people still be saying that she was about to stab someone?

What is the point of massive police funding if it is impossible to take on someone with a knife without deadly force? God forbid cops invest in stab-resistant clothing and gloves instead of higher powered weapons.

I do understand that this might be not be the best example of inappropriate police force if it turns out she absolutely was trying to stab that girl and the cop saved a life. Maybe I am arguing against a "good shoot," as they love to call it. But I think it still starkly highlights how often deadly force pops up as an immediate option with US police compared to others. A black kid got shot 10 seconds after the cops showed up so forgive me for being critical of the police. There were no knife injuries in the preceding moments.

There aren't many details in this story, but here's another teenage kid with a knife who didn't die. https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/c...n=snd-autopilot

quote:

BPD says one officer suffered a cut to the hand while taking the juvenile into custody.

Maybe this cop was almost killed by a kid with a knife and he's a moron. Maybe it was a kid going through the worst day of his life and doing something immensely stupid and this cop took an appropriate risk in intervening. He would have failed the sharpie test though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU