Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Scavengers is out on Early Access as of 4/28!

What is this?

Scavengers is a Class-Based, Third-Person Battle Royale with survival elements. There are several fun twists to the BR formula that make it a bit unique compared to its competition:

- Objectives: The game's main objective is to collect Data Points, which are spread around the map as objectives you need to defend while you collect them, or drops from PvE combat. Getting killed drops all the Data Points you've collected, allowing the enemy (or your surviving allies) to scoop it up for themselves.

- PvPvE : Scavengers's map is filled with wild animals, a humanoid faction and mutated creatures. All of those, except for some wildlife that can be found, are hostile to the players and usually patrol an area or defend a location. Fighting in a location that hasn't been cleared can be very annoying, and killing the NPCs not only drops resources and Data Points but gives you a more favorable terrain in case of a teamfight and protects you from:

- The Environment : even the world in Scavengers is trying to kill you. Earth is a frozen wasteland and managing your body's temperature is crucial for surviving. Besides some consumables, the only way to get your temperature back up is to find heath sources, which are usually found in npc filled areas. If your temperature drops too low you'll start losing maximum health until you find some warmth! Instead of a damage ring, the map gets slowly consumed by a neverending storm that becomes stronger as the match goes on.

-Crafting and loot: weapons are not abundant in the world of Scavengers! There is plenty of trash you can scavenge for bullets or scrap, and some chests spread around the map drop weapons. When you first spawn, your team will be nearby a few of these chests, but after that, the easiest way to find better loot is to craft it using scrap. Each champion has a unique, more powerful weapon variant that only they can craft, and you can also upgrade your shield through crafting.

-The extraction: the game doesn't wait for the last team standing! After a certain condition is fulfilled (I think it's time? Not sure) an extraction ship will land on the map. Opening its doors will start a countdown, and once it takes off every team inside it will be extracted and earn their Data Points. The ship can fit several teams, but it's unlikely your enemies won't take advantage of the close quarters to mug your hard-earned Data!

The explorers

Kali, stealth archer
Weapon: Hearthseeker (Longbow)
Ability: Active Camo. Kali becomes almost invisible for the duration. Ranged attacks reveal her for a short time, but melee attacks do not.

Cruz, lethal speedster
Weapon: Cazador (SMG)
Ability: Tailwind. For a short time, Cruz can sprint faster and leaves behind him a trail that buffs his teammates' speed while following him.

Halden, scoundrel survivalist
Weapon: Strike Rifle (Rifle)
Ability: Curative Aura. Halden drops a healing bubble that also rezzes downed allies on release. The bubble has a limited amount of healing and it gets smaller as it's consumed.

Jae, Outback Bladesman
Weapon: Maverick (spear)
Ability: Overshield. As its name implies, Jae buffs himself with an extra shield, making him harder to down.

Letty, tech support
Weapon: Rosie (Revolver)
Ability: EMP Blast. Letty shuts down abilities and vehicles in an area, and pushes enemies away from her

Tarik, tactical sniper
Weapon: Longstriker (Sniper Rifle)
Ability: Stun Trap. Tarik throws a proximity-triggered trap that stuns and slows enemies.

Valora, rebel defender
Weapon: Devastator (shotgun)
Ability: Aegis Shield. Valora deploys a bubble that is impenetrable by inbound attacks but allows shooting from the inside. The bubble has limited HP and gets smaller as it depletes.

Research
Research is Scavengers' meta progression system. You want to use research to:
- Get new crafting schematics that you can equip on your explorers so they can craft on the field,
- Modify your signature weapons and add mods to them
- Make new talents available for your explorers
- Cosmetics, maybe?

Research has a lot of stuff going on and is very limited by playtime. You have Energy that is build up every minute, and the maximum energy you can have (and projects need to have minimum total energy available before they can start) depends on your player level. You also have to gather enough materials for every research project, and the way to do it is to play and loot salvage during the matches. Once you have enough Energy and Materials, a crafting project takes real time to complete and occupies one of your research slots. Not only that but the more advanced research projects are locked until you've done a certain number of previous ones.

How can I join the Early Access?
If you signed up before, there's a fair chance you got an invite last week, which also includes an extra code. Besides that, Twitch streams are dropping keys after about 30m, so you can always try that!

Ok, ok, but is this any good?
Seems like Battle Royales come and go quickly these days, and it's hard to know if Scavengers will be one of the lucky ones to maintain a decent player base and allow for further development.
But what's already there works well, is fun, and brings some new interesting ideas to the genre. There are definitely unique elements to Scavengers that make it different from its competitors, so time will tell!

:siren: There's some free credits up for grabs on the store during EA, enough to buy one explorer :siren:

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've played a couple of matches and this has a ton of potential. They've basically cribbed stuff from various other BRs and stitched it together in a way that works surprisingly well. I love how the audio and visual cues when a storm rolls in really makes it feel like you're in danger.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 28, 2021

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bardeh posted:

I've played a couple of matches and this has a ton of potential. They've basically cribbed stuff from various other BRs and stitched it together in a way that works surprisingly well. I love how the audio and visual cues when a storm rolls in really makes it feel like you're in danger.

I agree! The survival mechanics make for an interesting added pressure, although I do wish there was more weapon variety and climbing walls and objects weren't so clumsy.

Watching a storm that's coming your way in the horizon is pretty scary. I still get lost trying to find entrances to buildings so I'm very careful if there's a storm nearby. I don't think I'll stop carrying thermal boost on one of my crafting slots for a while thanks to it.

I'm still not sure if I'm a fan of the escape pod fights at the end of the match, but I do like those occasions in which you hide until the very last second to try and get inside alive just when it leaves, it's fun and even gives rats something to aim for instead of dying in a 3v1.

Giving you things to do and aim for seems to be a big design goal, actually. Between gathering data, finding warmth, automatic respawn if someone on your team is still alive and the escape pod fights you're always moving and doing something. They even ask you about it after every match!

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Having a lot of fun with this even with pubbies, I love how the focus on points instead of being the last man standing incentivizes PvE and makes PvP a risky and sometimes unnecessary proposition, plus the endgame ship mechanic means multiple teams can “win”. Makes third partying, IMO the part of BR that needs “fixed”, kind of a waste of time early game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It seems fun and I like the PvE element of it, but right now it seems way too easy to demolish other teams. I get that ambushing another team should be an advantage but every time i've been on the giving or recieving end of an ambush, the ambushing team just rolls over the other team. It's just a 3v1 to instantly bring down 1 player then the other 2 get walked over by 3. If they can work that out, it has a chance.

Also, right now the servers are just overloaded. When the hype kind of dies down i'll play more.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShowTime posted:

It seems fun and I like the PvE element of it, but right now it seems way too easy to demolish other teams. I get that ambushing another team should be an advantage but every time i've been on the giving or recieving end of an ambush, the ambushing team just rolls over the other team. It's just a 3v1 to instantly bring down 1 player then the other 2 get walked over by 3. If they can work that out, it has a chance.

Also, right now the servers are just overloaded. When the hype kind of dies down i'll play more.

Between not having easy access to heals (unless you have a Halden), the minimap revealing your position if you fire, and how easy it is to be stuck in an open spot due to the low mobility, it does seem that way. But I think that if you pay attention to the map you can guess team movements more often than not (running from storms and running to objectives make for predictable roaming)

It would be a lot easier if the ping system was any better, too. I always miss Apex's pings whenever I'm playing anything else.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I played about half a dozen matches of this last night. The core gameplay loop of do the loot phase of a battle royale but forever is not great. Gathering data feels like plunder from warzone but with more things tacked on. I don't enjoy that you're always scrounging for scrap and you even have to fight your teammates for the drops.

I found most of the ground loot guns to be incredibly boring and the crafted guns were only marginally better. None of the weapons seem to have any real heft to them, especially the bows and crossbows. Also the fact that your created weapon is generally much better than any ground loot meant I ended up with the same load out almost every match.

The stamina and temperature meters seem like a bit of tacked on busy work? I guess the cold works with the setting but during the games I found it annoying to have to seek out fires to manage yet another resource. Stamina recharging only through food intake is awful and nothing more than busy work.

The crafting seems pretty barebones from the start but I'm not sure if this is by design or only because I'm low level. There are only two things to craft all game, armor and your special gun? It feels like an incredibly shallow system and even fortnite has a deeper crafting system right now with branching pathes for each weapon.

The enemy ai seems pretty awful and I wasn't really a big fan of them constantly respawning until you got the data from each fort. The spawns seemed like they needed some work too because I had multiple enemies pop in right in front of me. For the most part the enemies just stood out in the open and shot every few seconds with no real ai aside from that.

All the skirmishes with other squads felt pretty lifeless compared to other BRs I've played. The constant respawn mechanic means prolonged fights are just total chaos because often times the respawning member ends up behind the enemy with no warning. It doesn't feel great when a good push that results in a kill is negated less than a minute later. I think there's a reason every other BR has a buyback mechanic instead of respawn timers.

The end of game dropship stuff is truly awful. At first I had thought that once you made it into the ship you'd be safe but you are still forced to fight other squads inside until the timer runs down. There is no cover inside the ship and often times there are multiple squads pushing inside at once. This is compounded by the fact that the drop ship lands in an open field so you can't even wait outside in cover and make a final push in when the squads have been thinned out because you're a sitting duck. Losing all your data and materials in the last
30 seconds of the match is terrible game design.

Really, this game feels like they went heavy on the buzzwords for multiplayer games right now battle royale! crafting! pve! leveling up! loot! survival mechanics! and then proceeded to make each one of the systems incredibly shallow with no solid game underneath. I'm not sure I want to play anymore unless maybe changes are made.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The stamina, cold, and crafting mechanics are all pointless and not that interesting. Like maybe once or twice a match I had to eat food to regain stamina or go stand by a fire to warm up. The gunplay is super anemic.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there any discord folks are using?

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Elendil004 posted:

Is there any discord folks are using?

It's not an official goon discord for this game cause i play many but you're welcome on my discord for some scaving https://discord.gg/a8dgVedfA5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Looks like the game is getting no traction on here, huh? I actually am enjoying it a bunch, mostly because of the social aspect of having to work closely with 2 other people. Not focusing too much on whatever shortcomings there may be tbh.