Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I played about half a dozen matches of this last night. The core gameplay loop of do the loot phase of a battle royale but forever is not great. Gathering data feels like plunder from warzone but with more things tacked on. I don't enjoy that you're always scrounging for scrap and you even have to fight your teammates for the drops.

I found most of the ground loot guns to be incredibly boring and the crafted guns were only marginally better. None of the weapons seem to have any real heft to them, especially the bows and crossbows. Also the fact that your created weapon is generally much better than any ground loot meant I ended up with the same load out almost every match.

The stamina and temperature meters seem like a bit of tacked on busy work? I guess the cold works with the setting but during the games I found it annoying to have to seek out fires to manage yet another resource. Stamina recharging only through food intake is awful and nothing more than busy work.

The crafting seems pretty barebones from the start but I'm not sure if this is by design or only because I'm low level. There are only two things to craft all game, armor and your special gun? It feels like an incredibly shallow system and even fortnite has a deeper crafting system right now with branching pathes for each weapon.

The enemy ai seems pretty awful and I wasn't really a big fan of them constantly respawning until you got the data from each fort. The spawns seemed like they needed some work too because I had multiple enemies pop in right in front of me. For the most part the enemies just stood out in the open and shot every few seconds with no real ai aside from that.

All the skirmishes with other squads felt pretty lifeless compared to other BRs I've played. The constant respawn mechanic means prolonged fights are just total chaos because often times the respawning member ends up behind the enemy with no warning. It doesn't feel great when a good push that results in a kill is negated less than a minute later. I think there's a reason every other BR has a buyback mechanic instead of respawn timers.

The end of game dropship stuff is truly awful. At first I had thought that once you made it into the ship you'd be safe but you are still forced to fight other squads inside until the timer runs down. There is no cover inside the ship and often times there are multiple squads pushing inside at once. This is compounded by the fact that the drop ship lands in an open field so you can't even wait outside in cover and make a final push in when the squads have been thinned out because you're a sitting duck. Losing all your data and materials in the last
30 seconds of the match is terrible game design.

Really, this game feels like they went heavy on the buzzwords for multiplayer games right now battle royale! crafting! pve! leveling up! loot! survival mechanics! and then proceeded to make each one of the systems incredibly shallow with no solid game underneath. I'm not sure I want to play anymore unless maybe changes are made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU