Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah I forgot what stack ranking was called but there's basically no way that can lead to good outcomes, I remember reading just the most insane stories on mini microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
stack ranking makes sense when you take over a troubled organization (like yahoo or sun) and you know it is full of mediocrities and goldbrickers and people who are deeply unmotivated. firing the worst-performing 20% after arriving, and then firing the next worst-performing 10% a year later, is a quick and dirty way to rid yourself of the worst deadwood and provide a kick in the pants to all the other employees who want to remain

but taking a company that is humming along like a well-tuned engine and deciding that every year one in ten people have to be sacrificed to moloch no matter what just seems utterly insane and incentivizes all sorts of awful, company-wrecking behavior

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

stack ranking makes sense when you take over a troubled organization (like yahoo or sun) and you know it is full of mediocrities and goldbrickers and people who are deeply unmotivated. firing the worst-performing 20% after arriving, and then firing the next worst-performing 10% a year later, is a quick and dirty way to rid yourself of the worst deadwood and provide a kick in the pants to all the other employees who want to remain
What if you, I don't know, just fire the specific people who are doing a bad job rather than making up a percentage of people who need to be fired?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FMguru posted:

but taking a company that is humming along like a well-tuned engine and deciding that every year one in ten people have to be sacrificed to moloch no matter what just seems utterly insane and incentivizes all sorts of awful, company-wrecking behavior

im glad i dont work for you. lol.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

im glad i dont work for you. lol.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

google and apple also do a sort of stack ranking to determine bonuses/RSU grants/raises and such, they just don't auto-shitcan the people at the bottom of the list.

roughly, each manager ranks their reports, then they get to spend a bunch of time arguing with other managers on how to merge their respective lists. this process (calibration/alignment/whatever) repeats upwards for several levels of management as far as I know.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

google and apple also do a sort of stack ranking to determine bonuses/RSU grants/raises and such, they just don't auto-shitcan the people at the bottom of the list.

roughly, each manager ranks their reports, then they get to spend a bunch of time arguing with other managers on how to merge their respective lists. this process (calibration/alignment/whatever) I repeats upwards for several levels of management as far as I know.
that describes both of the big publicly traded companies I've worked for lol. it ain't just a tech or SV thing

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I specifically remember this forum recommending chaos monkeys and that spurring me to read the whole thing. it was an enjoyable read about someone’s views of ad tech, ripping on the valley, his British girlfriend, how not to start a company, and a dumb chapter about racing his buddy in a Tesla roadster

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hed posted:

I specifically remember this forum recommending chaos monkeys and that spurring me to read the whole thing. it was an enjoyable read about someone’s views of ad tech, ripping on the valley, his British girlfriend, how not to start a company, and a dumb chapter about racing his buddy in a Tesla roadster

i remember readin it and thinkin the dude shouda used a pen name cuz itll prolly get him fired from some place

and here we are

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
stack ranking at ge was specifically a response to disfunctional management and a work culture where everyone's top priority was expanding the size of their fiefdom. it was primarily focused on weeding out managers and applied to everyone all the way up to execs. it then got phased out once ge was back to being a functional company rather than a giant mess.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
not how ballmer thought of it and not how the amazon peeps are thinking of it, im betting

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

it then got phased out once ge was back to being a functional company rather than a giant mess.

in a regretful past life i got an MBA and this important detail was certainly not part of that narrative when jack welch's practices were discussed, or it was just an afterthought to the discussion on the benefits of decimating your headcount every year

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

not how ballmer thought of it and not how the amazon peeps are thinking of it, im betting
yeah everyone forgets about the "then you stop doing when things are back to working well" part

e: see above

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the beatings will still continue after morale improves

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

i remember readin it and thinkin the dude shouda used a pen name cuz itll prolly get him fired from some place

and here we are

lol yep. I figured he was still at twitface or whatever when he wrote most of it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
"nothing is more permanent than temporary"

it only takes a few years to establish things as "that's just how we do it here" even if you weren't experiencing high turnover because of said policies

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

kitten smoothie posted:

decimating your headcount every year

the one good thing that can come out of stack ranking: an appropriate example of the older meaning of "decimate"

mystes
May 31, 2006

pokeyman posted:

the one good thing that can come out of stack ranking: an appropriate example of the older meaning of "decimate"
Is it still stack ranking if you just fire all the pedants?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Is it still stack ranking if you just fire all the pedants?

only when done by seniority

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

nrook posted:

pinboard is the Matt Taibbi of tech and should be treated similarly

Speak of the devil, guess who just opined on the Apple hiring fiasco in entirely predictable fashion:

https://twitter.com/golikehellmachi/status/1394005747227250689

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love all the people calling out Matt for saying Apple has no Irish presence. I guess facts don't matter lol

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1395286598196019200

"We have disabled replies, half our staff has left and we still refuse to acknowledge that racism is a thing, but we sure suffered through that storm just fine"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pokeyman posted:

only when done by seniority

I'm laughing at my own joke that nobody else thought was funny

(coincidentally, this may also be what the basecamp founders are telling themselves!)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Blotto_Otter posted:

Speak of the devil, guess who just opined on the Apple hiring fiasco in entirely predictable fashion:

https://twitter.com/golikehellmachi/status/1394005747227250689

I was trying to remember if it was Matt Taibbi or Yasha Levine who did that "experiment" at The Exiled where they moved to a foreclosed home in Victorville, CA during the real estate crash and then proceeded to write dispatches from the town as though it was Mad Max. (After some googling, turns out it was Levine.) I was a regular Exiled reader back then, and I distinctly remember the time I went to the site on a random day and there were over a dozen updates, all of them rambling nonsense. Then the very last headline on the page said something to the effect of "So many updates! You know what that means, we've been blessed by the Methamphetamine Fairy!"

I guess there's something appealing to our inner adolescent when we read the work of flagrant assholes who seem to be on our side. I don't know if that has become less appealing now because we're in the world of twitter and we can see so much more of these assholes (robbing them of the bits of mystique that helped burnish their image), or if I've just gotten older and have had to deal with too many real-life abusers who masqueraded as gonzo truth-tellers.

Maybe this is just a longwinded way of asking the question: Can you imagine how dogshit-terrible Hunter S. Thompson would be on Twitter?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Loezi posted:

https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1395286598196019200

"We have disabled replies, half our staff has left and we still refuse to acknowledge that racism is a thing, but we sure suffered through that storm just fine"

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That is the post of a man who has never experienced difficulties in his life.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

these execs have just been confronted with evidence that they are no more than mostly-infallible godkings

and on top of that they face a second grave challenge: dismissing that evidence as flawed and untrustworthy

no difficulties??? how dare you even THINK that

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

excited to hear about all of the project management and team communication all of these new Nazi customers get up to!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
“why do all our new customers want stuff to all be eraseable at a single button press?”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

imploding your own company by being a dumbass and then "saving" it after "realising that change had to come from within" or something is 100% silicon valley techbro narrative compliant

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

rebranding hey as heil

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

imploding your own company by being a dumbass and then "saving" it after "realising that change had to come from within" or something is 100% silicon valley techbro narrative compliant

wasnt their whole point that they werent in silicon valley and they werent techbros, hence the swift implosion when they revealed their dipshittery?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wasnt their whole point that they werent in silicon valley and they werent techbros, hence the swift implosion when they revealed their dipshittery?

yeah they spent two decades building up a brand that they were the civilized alternative to all that poo poo lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

maybe the real techbros were the mistakes we made along the way

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

rebranding hey as heil

lol

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

maybe the real techbros were the mistakes we made along the way

Techbroh noes

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://github.com/basecamp/handbook/commit/3041e6561468c159de8a96327e119c88702ecf48

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Absolute :lol:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

the # Making a Career section is no longer a good cultural fit for the making-a-career.md file and has been expunged

beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder if it's just because they didn't want to recalculate the average, or if their role as bold innovators has led them to embrace churn in a way few have the courage to, by paying people to leave