Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jonny 290 posted:

* dont hire chud shitheads.

this goes for everything and not just politics, really

e: what a poo poo snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
"dont talk about politics at work is:

good when it means
  • Every decision isnt routed through either the chud "will this own the libs" filter or examined for liminal subtext wrt racism in the context of Derrida
  • You aren't expected to go to political events as part of your job
  • etc

bad when it means
  • You can't talk about being passed over for a promotion because you are black, gay, old or all three
  • You have zero input about who your company accepts as a customer
  • etc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the issue at basecamp is NOT about whether politics is ok at work, the issue at basecamp is the STUPENDOUSLY boneheaded reactions of two Information Age Mangement Wunderkinds to a dumbass list of funny names.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i agree with all that

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

a.p. dent posted:

i'm thankful to not have been exposed to DHH's stupid online presence for the last 10 years because seeing some of it now, i'm starting to join the mob against him

DHH is one of these dudes who is so pompous that even when he has a point he manages to bungle it up. Like the whole "rails is omakase" bit is basically "hey we made this collection of parts to work together well based on what we like you can swap parts out on your own time, we won't do it" but instead he has to make it about how he is a giant-brained connoisseur of web-poo poo and how rails is for the upper crust of discerning "authentic" devs or some poo poo.

With this poo poo he could have easily talked through it with his upset employees but he had to make it a referendum on how smart and right and righteous he is, and he had to do it in public. Like if he just posted the first part of his little reply and didn't get all self righteous about the pyramid of hate thing in front of the whole company this could have all gone down as no big deal.

EDIT: pretty much what rotor said

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

the issue at basecamp is NOT about whether politics is ok at work, the issue at basecamp is the STUPENDOUSLY boneheaded reactions of two Information Age Mangement Wunderkinds to a dumbass list of funny names.
yeah

executive decides to ban discussions on politics at work: a dumb move

executive decides to ban discussions on politics at work, and who has also spent the last 15 years cultivating a reputation as the wisest of 21st century workplace culture gurus: a dumb move, and also completely loving hilarious

im a little bummed that there havent been more updates about employees quitting today

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
if our people start talkin you know how it goes, first its all "wahh, who keeps clogging the mens room toilet" and hey its not my fault i got IBS also next thing you know it its all unions this and unions that. Lets just not talk about this stuff and do a good job, work hard, play hard hoo-rah!

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

FMguru posted:

im a little bummed that there havent been more updates about employees quitting today

same, it feels like they hired a pr company to astroturf twitter with a combo of 'you're so brave' and 'lol you're better off without the snowflake libs'

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

FMguru posted:

Some harassment campaigns kicked up towards those who publicly quit, so I'd imagine that has a chilling effect on further updates.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i don't want ppl to talk politics at work because i don't want to know how loving stupid all my coworkers are. it's also not a big deal

now i'm just laughing about this. it sounds like basecamp's culture of "openness" created a company board where people sniped at each other all day every day like on twitter or facebook

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

good job cursing your hiring pipeline to be nothing but avowed chuds for months

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

carry on then posted:

good job cursing your hiring pipeline to be nothing but avowed chuds for months

i'm sure they'll shut up about politics at work too lol

status set to '👮‍♀️👌🐸' all day every day

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

a.p. dent posted:

i don't want ppl to talk politics at work because i don't want to know how loving stupid all my coworkers are. it's also not a big deal

i think knowing that my coworkers either want a sizeable portion of people dead or without rights- and that another sizeable chunk think it's not a big deal- is valuable and a big deal

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

qirex posted:

when "don't talk about politics" also means "I'm immediately dissolving all DEI initiatives and handing them off to our one hr person" the word 'talk' is doing a lot of heavy lifting

yeah it goes something like

"dhh maybe it wasn't cool of us as a company culture to post funny names, look here's the pyramid of hate to explain how those behaviors have knock on effects when it comes to further down the line"

"you're dumb, are we (basecamp) actively committing genocide because of the funny name thread? no we're not, so your pyramid is dumb and useless shut up. two, i just searched basecamp internal history and you added a name to that list so you are a hypocrite and i shouldn't take anything you say seriously. also your DEI committee that was about to have its first steering meeting? disbanded"

like he had every opportunity to not gently caress that up, and instead just techbro'd his way into imploding the company

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

psiox posted:

same, it feels like they hired a pr company to astroturf twitter with a combo of 'you're so brave' and 'lol you're better off without the snowflake libs'

chuds are dumb enough to do this poo poo for free

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

psiox posted:

i think knowing that my coworkers either want a sizeable portion of people dead or without rights- and that another sizeable chunk think it's not a big deal- is valuable and a big deal

was mainly thinking about liberals. they are dumb as poo poo.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
the example my bf gave was working at a hospital staffed by middle aged black Baptist women while gay. they don’t want you dead but you def don’t want to hear their opinions on gay and trans people. white chuds aren’t the whole world of conservatives

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Buff Hardback posted:

"dhh maybe it wasn't cool of us as a company culture to post funny names, look here's the pyramid of hate to explain how those behaviors have knock on effects when it comes to further down the line"

publicly posting the "pyramid of hate" in response to a list containing seymour butz is actually dumb as poo poo. and yeah, if the person posting the pyramid ever contributed a name it's doubly stupid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

a.p. dent posted:

the example my bf gave was working at a hospital staffed by middle aged black Baptist women while gay. they don’t want you dead but you def don’t want to hear their opinions on gay and trans people. white chuds aren’t the whole world of conservatives

i’ll worry about them when they get into power and actively try to make my life worse

so far in this thread you’ve been

-dhh was right
-liberals suck (i mean they do in the popular sa term but in context this is iffy)
-btw did you know some black people hate gays too

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

dhh is a weirdo libertarian afaict

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i’ll worry about them when they get into power and actively try to make my life worse

so far in this thread you’ve been

-dhh was right
-liberals suck (i mean they do in the popular sa term but in context this is iffy)
-btw did you know some black people hate gays too

who said anything about worrying about them

i just don’t want to hear people’s bad political opinions because i still need to work with them

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

publicly posting the "pyramid of hate" in response to a list containing seymour butz is actually dumb as poo poo. and yeah, if the person posting the pyramid ever contributed a name it's doubly stupid

lol did this really happen

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my homie dhall posted:

and going back over years of comment history to find the person who posted the pyramid of hate laughing at seymour butz as though that is a refutation is likewise stupid, but the only hilariously newsworthy one is the managers response, for reasons we've already noted.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i just cannot get enough of this public airing of dirty laundry

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/3/22418208/basecamp-all-hands-meeting-employee-resignations-buyouts-implosion

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

But as much as the conversation about Basecamp’s moves has been framed as “politics,” it seems important to remember that the entire affair began when a third of the company — not all of whom are among the 20 who have departed so far, by the way — volunteered to help the company become more diverse and equitable. It was only when their committee dug a skeleton out of the company closet — that list of names — that Fried and Hansson moved to shut the whole thing down.

“It was actually a positive thing we were doing,” one employee told me, marveling at the chaos that had followed. “We had identified the problem, how it happened, and vowed not to do it again. It was a company doing exactly what it should do. The founders refused to lead, and so the company was doing it itself.”

remember: these dudes wrote like 5 books about how to be great managers

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

rotor posted:

lmao okay yeah gently caress dhh and jason

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

a.p. dent posted:

lmao okay yeah gently caress dhh and jason

they've already hosed themselves far, far harder than you or I ever could have

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

ive never read them (nor will i ever) but ill bet cash money they are full of new age management bafflegab about listening to your employees and creating a cooperative (not conflictive) workplace culture and encouraging your employees to communicate with each other and self-direct to identify problems and solutions and etc etc

literally a third of their company came to them and said "hey we think we have a problem with our culture" and their enlightened response was to...disband the group and ban all discussions of the issue (or any issues) going forward and if anyone has a problem we will pay them to gtfo

lol the conservative head of product strategy said in the all hands that the only racism he saw was racism...against white people!

ahahahahaha

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

quote:

“I strongly disagree we live in a white supremacist culture,” Singer said. “I don’t believe in a lot of the framing around implicit bias. I think a lot of this is actually racist.”

those sure are some non-political statements in the all-hands meeting about the no-politics policy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I normally grumble about mandatory trainings but the implicit bias training and general DEI work my company's done in the past 18 months have been helpful and have made me a better and more considerate employee

before that i used the term 'sold down the river' in a 1:1 and my manager eagerly NOPEd me

so yall can make fun of me for asking "can i say 'hotep' or is there a different term i should use or" but it's coming from an honest and good place

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

In Rework, Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson introduced a new path to working effectively. Now, they build on their message with a bold, iconoclastic strategy for creating the ideal company culture—what they call "the calm company."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

doin great Jase!

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

so yall can make fun of me for asking "can i say 'hotep' or is there a different term i should use or" but it's coming from an honest and good place

hella same, it's crazy how many things have snuck into our parlance that we just don't think about. hell, i've tried to get myself to stop saying 'post-mortem' since people probably don't need to be reminded about death what with all of it going on (i mentioned this in a 1:1 and wasn't even trying to make that a Thing, but dang, work terminology changed instantly. it is nice to work for people that are okay putting in minimal effort to not actively make people uncomfortable).

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

new lols dropped https://www.platformer.news/p/-how-basecamp-blew-up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

their books are fine. pretty good, even. I've worked plenty of places that could learn a lot from them.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if your exec can't even bring himself to verbally denounce white supremacy...

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

The absolute steel backbone on that employee who doubled down on attempting to get the founders to call out Singer. drat.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

megalol at dhh calling in from bed then muting and turning the camera off for the rest of the meeting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MrQueasy posted:

The absolute steel backbone on that employee who doubled down on attempting to get the founders to call out Singer. drat.
yeah props to them I definitely wouldn’t have been brave enough to do that

this is why we can’t gradually increment our way out of racism, even asking someone to admit it exists when it 100% factually does is met with extreme reactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

qirex posted:

yeah props to them I definitely wouldn’t have been brave enough to do that

this is why we can’t gradually increment our way out of racism, even asking someone to admit it exists when it 100% factually does is met with extreme reactions

They couldn’t even get Jason Fried to denounce it, let alone acknowledge it existed. Holy poo poo.

Double lol that DHH couldn’t be arsed to get out of bed or show his face on camera to prevent his company from imploding.

All because the founders couldn’t handle the mildest, most good-faith critique of their own company.