Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Achmed Jones posted:

maybe this is me showing my rear end, but the funniest thing to me is that the person linking genocide to making fun of finish* surnames or whatever really does sound like they were being a bit extra. dhh/otherguy could've just been like "hey, whoa, name erasure is a huge problem, but come on here, folks are laughing at Phil Mahiney, not being racist about it. of course it's very easy to go from one to the other, and it's unprofessional anyway, so cut it the gently caress out, it's wrong, and it's not right."

i think you're confused about what the pyramid of hate is saying because it is just "laughing at funny names can very easily lead to being racist about it" and you seem to agree with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Achmed Jones posted:

no, im not confused about the pyramid of hate, i'm confused about what the person actually said. there are dumb and non-dumb ways to make the same point is all.

realistically the person was likely making a reasonable point and dhh or whoever did a big "nobody likes me everybody hates me guess i'll go eat worms implode my company"

i'm curious what this will do to the development of rails

quote:

The employees noted that there had never been an internal reckoning over the list, and said it was important to discuss why making fun of customers’ names had been wrong. The apology included an image of “the pyramid of hate,” an illustration created by the Anti-Defamation League to show how the most extreme acts of extremist violence are enabled by a foundation of biased attitudes and acts of bias.

[...]

Employees responded mostly positively to the first part of this note. But Hansson went further, taking exception to the use of the pyramid of hate in a workplace discussion. He told me today that attempting to link the list of customer names to potential genocide represented a case of “catastrophizing” — one that made it impossible for any good-faith discussions to follow. Presumably, any employees who are found contributing to genocidal attitudes should be fired on the spot — and yet nobody involved seemed to think that contributing to or viewing the list was a fireable offense. If that’s the case, Hansson said, then the pyramid of hate had no place in the discussion. To him, it escalated employees’ emotions past the point of being productive.

if this account of events is accurate (which it certainly may not be), dhh railed against the concept of the pyramid of hate and the idea that relatively harmless things set the foundation for worse things rather than the employee being extra in their presentation of the concept. to me it sounds like the employee didn't make the point "making fun of these names leads to genocide" and it was dhh who brought that up based on the poh image.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

politics at work can be fine with two rules:

* dont hire chud shitheads. dont say "i dont care what their politics are as long as they do a good job!" dont hire chud shitheads.
* interaction with politics channels should vastly diminish as you go up the chain of management. if anybody with a title that starts with C is one of the top ten chatters in #social-politics, you have a big loving problem.

in this case the activites deemed talking about politics at work were conversations directly about work things and not side social chatter

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

“I strongly disagree we live in a white supremacist culture,” Singer said. “I don’t believe in a lot of the framing around implicit bias. I think a lot of this is actually racist.”

those sure are some non-political statements in the all-hands meeting about the no-politics policy

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

i mean the whole idea that racism and white supremacy are even political issues is hosed anyway. isn't that why there is like, protected classes, so that basic principles of equality are beyond question

crt is one of the right wing boodiemen du jour but they don't actually understand it well enough to argue against it so they end up just claiming that systemic racism and white supremacy don't exist and if you think they do then you're the racist one

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

“I strongly disagree we live in a white supremacist culture,” Singer said. “I don't believe in a lot of the framing around implicit bias. I think a lot of this is actually racist.”

what’s that supposed to mean? like yeah implicit bias is, at least partly, underlying actual racism of the society you are in. why does he say that and also reject living in a racist culture?

or is he saying the concept of implicit bias is “actually racist” against whites?

it's basically "i don't like what you're saying would imply if it was true, therefore it isn't"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

nvrgrls posted:

I thought the pinboard guy was cool

pinboard guy is from a very poor country and his perspective on americans complaining about anything ever is very directly related to that

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

in basecamp news, some more people quit: https://twitter.com/_breeeeen_/status/1392890221994332169

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

yeah, even if you were happy and fine with staying before half the company quit doesn't mean you'll want to stick around after half the company quits

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

stack ranking at ge was specifically a response to disfunctional management and a work culture where everyone's top priority was expanding the size of their fiefdom. it was primarily focused on weeding out managers and applied to everyone all the way up to execs. it then got phased out once ge was back to being a functional company rather than a giant mess.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

but i thought this was all just a brilliant plan to downsize without admitting that's what they were doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

they paid 6 months severance so they're pretty far from making a profit on the whole thing