Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
there is no bless keyword in ruby. ergo, it is superior to perl.

also, it can be parsed. albeit barely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ruby as smalltalk with better syntax is pretty cool. its main issue is that extremely unhygienic code modifications in the form of "monkey patching" is not only possible, but very ingrained in the popular style. i.e. adding code to existing classes in an ad-hoc fashion, meaning every significant piece of software makes e.g. lists have twelve extra behaviors dynamically show up. if these could be syntactically scoped in any sane way the language would be way better.

plus the p-lang tendency of having an extremely lazy (or possibly simply dumb) implementation, basically fully settling at the point where performance is better than that of bash and the screensaver not coming on in the gc pauses.

i still like ruby quite a bit, always a bit of a weird twist of fate that python beat it out.

more depressing considering ruby 3 has a pretty good runtime with generational gc, jit, etc whereas python remains in the same doldrums as it always has. every time i hear of some major corp running critical infrastructure on python i can't help but think that their technical underpinnings are about equivalent to what a hs student with moderate interest in cs could produce in a few weeks.

don't believe me? stare into the abyss: https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/b0544ba77cf86074fb1adde00558c67ca75eeea1/Python/ceval.c#L1579

epitaph fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 3, 2021