Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

so far they've lost their entire iOS team, head of design, head of marketing

lmfao

someone started a DEI committee at basecamp before the original post of "DHH and jason are in charge, no politics, deal with it" (and had like a third of the employees commit to joining), that DEI committee was told to wind down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

looks like maybe they shouldn't have spent a few hundred thousand dollars on getting that hey.com domain then

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

rotor posted:

my money is on the list being mostly like "Dick Chardnutts" with the occastional guy named Wang.

but the important takeaway is exactly this:

per casey newton:

quote:

Around 2009, Basecamp customer service representatives began keeping a list of names that they found funny. More than a decade later, current employees were so mortified by the practice that none of them would give me a single example of a name on the list. One invoked the sorts of names Bart Simpson used to use when prank calling Moe the Bartender: Amanda Hugginkiss, Seymour Butz, Mike Rotch.

Many of the names were of American or European origin. But others were Asian, or African, and eventually the list — titled “Best Names Ever” — began to make people uncomfortable. What once had felt like an innocent way to blow off steam, amid the ongoing cultural reckoning over speech and corporate responsibility, increasingly looked inappropriate, and often racist.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

qirex posted:

when "don't talk about politics" also means "I'm immediately dissolving all DEI initiatives and handing them off to our one hr person" the word 'talk' is doing a lot of heavy lifting

yeah it goes something like

"dhh maybe it wasn't cool of us as a company culture to post funny names, look here's the pyramid of hate to explain how those behaviors have knock on effects when it comes to further down the line"

"you're dumb, are we (basecamp) actively committing genocide because of the funny name thread? no we're not, so your pyramid is dumb and useless shut up. two, i just searched basecamp internal history and you added a name to that list so you are a hypocrite and i shouldn't take anything you say seriously. also your DEI committee that was about to have its first steering meeting? disbanded"

like he had every opportunity to not gently caress that up, and instead just techbro'd his way into imploding the company