Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Zamujasa posted:

don't think of it as an implosion, just think of it as finally moving basecamp to the "done" column

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I do find it interesting that the republican party has gone so far off the rails, where poo poo like brietbart is something you can read and still be a "mainstream republican" that we're close to if not at the point where being in one of the two major political parties in America basically makes it impossible to lead at any company that actually prioritizes diversity and inclusion.

Like imagine it was just a bit worse in America and we had one party that was pro-apartheid or something, how could a member of that party lead a diverse team fairly, by definition. Wouldn't you have to start discriminating based on political affiliation in that case? This guy's up there saying that "whenever I say anything political people call me a Nazi"; why do you think that is my guy?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

As gross as that sentiment and article are its probably a good thing it was posted, because its just saying the quiet parts out loud. Whats to stop FAANGs from paying top tier wages for people living in tech meccas when they don't sit around annoying each other in their tech mecca open offices all day; I might as well pay you a fraction of your current salary and you move back home.

They were already collecting info on who was working from different states/countries last year, ostensibly for tax reasons, but also I'm sure because if any of those arrangements became long term, they're going to come with "cost of living adjustments".

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 7, 2021

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qirex posted:

executive ego gratification should be an "extra" task but to most executives it's a core function of the business and if she wants to watch her employees scuttle around like a personal ant farm because it makes her feel good by god she's going to make it happen

I very briefly worked at GE and caught an elevator with my bosses bosses boss and one of his sycophants. During the ride the sycophant asked how the floor move was going, which had us office drones sitting shoulder to shoulder on floor 16 while they were remodeling things upstairs (to a nomadic desk structure, I was told).

Mega boss replied "oh its going great, they're a bunch of busy little bees down there" and it was so gross and demeaning.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

the faangs are saying that out loud too. they have generally been open that people who go full remote and move out of sf bay area will get pay cuts

Sure I'm just saying that bosses writing articles about how gross they are is a good thing, instead of being gross in private

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

yeah and its not like fully remote is that rare any more. i guess if you're a diehard ruby on rails person you might be kinda dead-ended but still

Yeah but we covered that:

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

broad offers of voluntary redundancies or severance are a great way to ensure you only keep employees who are absolutely sure they are unemployable elsewhere.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Would absolutely take a 6 month buyout, especially since its not even a big company or anything where taking the severance probably puts you on a do-not-hire list in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

rotor posted:

i wonder if you can take the 6 months then get your old job back

edit: yeah that

Oh I meant more like, who cares if they put you on a do not hire list (they probably do). Base camp dot com is probably not going to be one of the 2 or 3 mega companies that will rule our bleak cyberpunk future. I wouldn't want to close the door on one of those.