Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
headline at the verge made me rofl a little bit

quote:

Basecamp implodes as employees flee company, including senior staff

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/30/22412714/basecamp-employees-memo-policy-hansson-fried-controversy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i wonder how bad the attrition will be on monday, when the 2/3 who didnt quit today have had a chance to think about how viable the company they are working for is given that a third of the employees - including a big chunk of the senior staff - just sprinted out the door with no transition or handoff or knowledge transfer

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

the issue at basecamp is NOT about whether politics is ok at work, the issue at basecamp is the STUPENDOUSLY boneheaded reactions of two Information Age Mangement Wunderkinds to a dumbass list of funny names.
yeah

executive decides to ban discussions on politics at work: a dumb move

executive decides to ban discussions on politics at work, and who has also spent the last 15 years cultivating a reputation as the wisest of 21st century workplace culture gurus: a dumb move, and also completely loving hilarious

im a little bummed that there havent been more updates about employees quitting today

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

remember: these dudes wrote like 5 books about how to be great managers
ive never read them (nor will i ever) but ill bet cash money they are full of new age management bafflegab about listening to your employees and creating a cooperative (not conflictive) workplace culture and encouraging your employees to communicate with each other and self-direct to identify problems and solutions and etc etc

literally a third of their company came to them and said "hey we think we have a problem with our culture" and their enlightened response was to...disband the group and ban all discussions of the issue (or any issues) going forward and if anyone has a problem we will pay them to gtfo

lol the conservative head of product strategy said in the all hands that the only racism he saw was racism...against white people!

ahahahahaha

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

nvrgrls posted:

Anyway. I think any company exec that reads about this basecamp nonsense is going to walk away thinking "those morons posted internal policy changes on company public-facing blog, thank god our company isn't stupid and does not do that".
part of basecamps "brand" is "the enlightened workplace culture company that does everything right" so why wouldnt they announce a major change in how they work internally on a big public forum?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
20 departures out of 57 employees is actually 35% lmao

i suppose jason deserves some slight credit for acknowledging that the First Law Of Holes ("when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging") was in effect for him. as bland as his statement was, unlike all of their comms up until this point, it at least didnt make things worse

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i assume he was recruited and shepherded through the process by a pal/bro/former colleague working at apple, and that person is right now updating their resume

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
background checks are more: did you graduate from college when you say you did with the degree you claim, did you work at all the places you listed on your application (and the dates and titles are correct), do you have an arrest record or any outstanding warrants

not sure how reasonable it would be to add "did you publish any books? please provide us with a copy so we can scan all 200+ pages for anything problematic" to the process (although I know that some places will scan your social media for problematic content as part of their background check)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
that was my takeaway. even if youre happy at the company and had no plans to move on, you really have to wonder if its a good idea to pin your future to a ship that just had half its crew jump overboard, especially if theyre offering 6 months salary to go out into a red hot job market

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kitten smoothie posted:

a friend of mine is one of the people who took the basecamp deal, he’s a cool dude who absolutely deserves a better job than that and I’m happy for him that he is out of there
plz try and pry some hilarious details about how it all went down out of him and report back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
stack ranking makes sense when you take over a troubled organization (like yahoo or sun) and you know it is full of mediocrities and goldbrickers and people who are deeply unmotivated. firing the worst-performing 20% after arriving, and then firing the next worst-performing 10% a year later, is a quick and dirty way to rid yourself of the worst deadwood and provide a kick in the pants to all the other employees who want to remain

but taking a company that is humming along like a well-tuned engine and deciding that every year one in ten people have to be sacrificed to moloch no matter what just seems utterly insane and incentivizes all sorts of awful, company-wrecking behavior