Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dhh is a dumbass but i dont think he'll do the cancel-culture thing simply bc he's positioned himself as opposed to the type of person that uses the phrase "cancel culture"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

maybe this is me showing my rear end, but the funniest thing to me is that the person linking genocide to making fun of finish* surnames or whatever really does sound like they were being a bit extra. dhh/otherguy could've just been like "hey, whoa, name erasure is a huge problem, but come on here, folks are laughing at Phil Mahiney, not being racist about it. of course it's very easy to go from one to the other, and it's unprofessional anyway, so cut it the gently caress out, it's wrong, and it's not right."

but instead we get....this. if people are going too far with hyperbole, the move is to say "cool your jets on the hyperbole" not light your company on fire lmao

*this is of course taking their word that the list wasn't racist. and let's just say that how they've handled this doesn't exactly give me confidence in their judgments re: what is and is not racist as hell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

i think you're confused about what the pyramid of hate is saying because it is just "laughing at funny names can very easily lead to being racist about it" and you seem to agree with that?

no, im not confused about the pyramid of hate, i'm confused about what the person actually said. there are dumb and non-dumb ways to make the same point is all.

realistically the person was likely making a reasonable point and dhh or whoever did a big "nobody likes me everybody hates me guess i'll go eat worms implode my company"

i'm curious what this will do to the development of rails

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

to me it sounds like the employee didn't make the point "making fun of these names leads to genocide" and it was dhh who brought that up based on the poh image.

ah gotcha, that's fair. the two things i i know for sure are that dhh is a wiener and that basecamp's implosion is extremely funny

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i know you can't bc dox but dang i wanna see the before and after

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

dhh is a dumbass but i dont think he'll do the cancel-culture thing simply bc he's positioned himself as opposed to the type of person that uses the phrase "cancel culture"

you fool, you absolute mark

https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1387731297980854272

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also im not gonna actually read that so if im wrong about being wrong and dhh is being reasonable (unlikely!) idk tell me i guess but either way im wrong somehow so lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I hate to say it, but it is

actually ruby has a wonderful object oriented paradigm and its message passing

hahahahahhahahahah sorry i couldnt keep a straight face, u right

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

psiox posted:

"yes" --people being dunked on for being dumb as hell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004