Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

idk who they are but i know ruby is super loving bad so i;d be bailing the gently caress out of that company if i were them.

yeah, see, the handling of this dumb situation is putting into perspective how minor the badness of ruby is in comparison.

may in fact be that no mindless artifact can be quite as dumb as a real living ceo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

dhh is a dumbass but i dont think he'll do the cancel-culture thing simply bc he's positioned himself as opposed to the type of person that uses the phrase "cancel culture"

this is clearly some triple-a level meltdown though, he is already torching his company and credibility, so i see no reason to expect him to stop short of anything in particular.

Jonny 290 posted:

ruby is just anime perl

:shuckyes:

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 1, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ruby as smalltalk with better syntax is pretty cool. its main issue is that extremely unhygienic code modifications in the form of "monkey patching" is not only possible, but very ingrained in the popular style. i.e. adding code to existing classes in an ad-hoc fashion, meaning every significant piece of software makes e.g. lists have twelve extra behaviors dynamically show up. if these could be syntactically scoped in any sane way the language would be way better.

plus the p-lang tendency of having an extremely lazy (or possibly simply dumb) implementation, basically fully settling at the point where performance is better than that of bash and the screensaver not coming on in the gc pauses.

i still like ruby quite a bit, always a bit of a weird twist of fate that python beat it out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

refleks posted:

common mistake

danes cover their racism better

danes are more overtly racist than the dutch. it is only an american obsession with symbology that makes people think differently.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

20 departures out of 57 employees is actually 35% lmao

i suppose jason deserves some slight credit for acknowledging that the First Law Of Holes ("when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging") was in effect for him. as bland as his statement was, unlike all of their comms up until this point, it at least didnt make things worse

nah, no credit for that, any kind of bland non-meltdown response at any of 20 points before this would have left this as a fully unknown non-issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

it recently came out that amazon also hires people specifically to fire them during performance reviews because they have to get rid of the “worst” people

in retrospect a really obvious effect of the system.