Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

the most important takeaway to me is that they didn't fire the nazi
I thought he resigned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

duz posted:

guess which of those actions you dont have to explain to your next employer
Why would he have to explain it in either case when he's been publicly established as a good american who just doesn't want politics at work, unlike the anarchist woke anti-white racists who were out to smear him?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine the huge loss in productivity when people aren't in the office throwing birthday parties for each other!

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

executive ego gratification should be an "extra" task but to most executives it's a the core function of the business

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

not sure how reasonable it would be to add "did you publish any books? please provide us with a copy so we can scan all 200+ pages for anything problematic" to the process (although I know that some places will scan your social media for problematic content as part of their background check)
Oh come on, it's not like they didn't know he had written the book.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

like i mean i've interviewed plenty of people that have written books I've never read, and the idea that its some kind of wild oversight that no one sat down and read this novel a dude wrote seems weird
It's not a novel, it's a book about his time working on ads at Facebook, the thing that presumably got him the job offer from apple. It also got a fair amount of attention and presumably they could have easily found a copy lying around.

It's not like he wrote a self-published fantasy novel that nobody read and it turned out it had something horrible buried on page 974 or something.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 13, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not telling you to read it Rotor.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

im just mad about unrelated things and need somewhere to post it off
The YOSPOS approved method is to start a pointless fight with Tori.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

stack ranking makes sense when you take over a troubled organization (like yahoo or sun) and you know it is full of mediocrities and goldbrickers and people who are deeply unmotivated. firing the worst-performing 20% after arriving, and then firing the next worst-performing 10% a year later, is a quick and dirty way to rid yourself of the worst deadwood and provide a kick in the pants to all the other employees who want to remain
What if you, I don't know, just fire the specific people who are doing a bad job rather than making up a percentage of people who need to be fired?

mystes
May 31, 2006

pokeyman posted:

the one good thing that can come out of stack ranking: an appropriate example of the older meaning of "decimate"
Is it still stack ranking if you just fire all the pedants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Huh, I thought that basecamp had gone completely off the rails.