Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The only reason I got two doses of pfizer is because our local bureaucracy goofed and had to clamor to find people for its vaccines before they thawed.

I'm 28.

e:

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I got Pfizer as well. Either way I'm just happy to be on the way to not be a risk to other people as well as myself.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

i thought the big lass was going to get proper stuck in :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
GET ON THE FLOH

GET ON THE FLOH NAOW GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FLOH :cop:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

You'd think it would be worse in the US, because it was weaponized into "They want to be able to use Bathrooms without judgement. Which is just a front so they can legally do horrible things to your kids."

But no, they are all over the UK. I think it's down to the fact that the UK people, as a whole, just love the taste of boot. There are just so many people who are happy to talk about the rules, and the proper way or doing things and so on that if enough of the "right people" tell them something, they will go along with it.

I'm not really in a sufficient position of knowledge to understand why this is but I do get the impression we have a much stronger representation of 60s/70s era white middle class feminists who are quite happy to pull the ladder up after them and poo poo all over trans women (and non-white women, and working class women) than in the US. Your Julie Bindels et al.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
look how many police vehicles turned up to that pub lol

because two dickhead :cop:s couldn't be hosed to keep their cool

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Kinda disappointing performance from both teams tbh. The non-police gammons failed to take the advantage when they had overwhelming numerical superiority, and the police gammons didn't even taser anyone. 2/10

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Finally got a first dose of vaccine. No credit to the government gently caress you Boris.

Just got my second dose at Excel and was heartbroken to see the little greasy spoon outside seems not to have survived lockdown while all the pricey poo poo places have.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bessantj posted:

Called my mum earlier and she asked "Do Newport County have any coloured players?" (They're in the League Two play off final.) When I said they did she said "They'll be getting abuse if Newport lose." I think I should go round and take her laptop off her :ohdear:

Morecambe are managed by an old Ross County manager and apparently have the lowest budget of all the league teams so I hope they win.

Although the old manager was a bit of a bellend, he did take us to the Premiership for the first time off the back of an almost-unbeaten season (one loss, in the first game of the season)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Trash continues to take itself out.

https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1399394596371763207

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i can't see priti patel in that video but presumably she was there somewhere to observe proceedings

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

no you cant fire me, I QUIT

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Morecambe are managed by an old Ross County manager and apparently have the lowest budget of all the league teams so I hope they win.

Although the old manager was a bit of a bellend, he did take us to the Premiership for the first time off the back of an almost-unbeaten season (one loss, in the first game of the season)

Morcambe have the lowest budget? County pay their players in fag ends they find on the street so I'd hate to think what Morcambe use. But they won so they can be happy with that.

Good. Shut up and gently caress off.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 31, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

rest in piss bigot

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A random thought that someone much more clever has probably already come up with and rejected, but one thing that I think makes the UK quite so TERF-y is the underlying structure of society. American feminists fought to make women the legal and societal equals to men because the national myth of America is based on equality, while the British flavour of radical feminism (people always forget what the RF stands for) actually tried to establish women as a separate and privileged class because the British national character is still absolutely class-riven.

The logical endpoints of the two are - I think - pretty much what we're seeing played out, because in a truly equal society transphobia is almost impossible in that a truly equal society would not have gender roles; the difference between genders would be the position of a tick in a box somewhere, and biological sex would just be a thing that mattered for reproduction and channeling people into the queues for cervical or testicular cancer testing, no more important in your day-to-day life than your blood group. Therefore in the US the flavour of transphobia is much more easily identified with old-fashioned homophobia - until very recently on this very site you could perfectly acceptably roll out some version of the Guardsman's Defence as a reason to shun trans people, as if trans women were lurking in every bar just waiting to trick poor innocent red-blooded men. Hell even the bathroom thing is just a hastily-resprayed version of all of the "Oi oi, backs to the wall" bollocks you still occasionally hear thrown at gay people.

(Note of course that this also is *way* more revealing of the people with these supposed fears, because what they're actually saying is "My god if I found myself in a woman's bathroom I don't know that I'd be able to stop myself")

Meanwhile in Britain the prevailing form of transphobia is much more bound up with that kind of second-wave "Women are the bearers of life" thought which has always struck me as weirdly Victorian, especially as it's often accompanied by the sex-negative stuff that leads to SWERFery. They may accept, and even fight for, the idea of total equality but the means they've chosen (consciously or not) to do so is to set up "Is capable of giving birth" as a distinct class of human being deserving of special rights and privileges, with the obvious corollary of penis-havers being a lesser class. Once you have that mindset - especially if you've gone on to found a lucrative media career on it - the idea that a penis-haver might be allowed into your Special Club is viscerally horrifying. To them it does actually feel more directly like an attack than it does to the more mainline reactionary form of transphobia. And like I say, a lot of these 60s and 70s radical feminists are now very firmly ensconced within the media and politics so they drive the media narrative - notice that the bathroom thing doesn't get quite as much play over here as it did in the States, because the chosen TERF battleground so far has been self-ID and the ramifications of it.

Of course this also means that the *experience* of transphobia is very different on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Violence against trans people is much more common in the US than the UK (although not by a *huge* amount once you account for the greater levels of violence generally) but the UK certainly feels like a more transphobic place because the big noise about trans people in the US is mostly from dipshits on Fox News and so safely ignored by most good people, whereas over here it's coming from the people who are *supposed* to be the good ones standing up for the oppressed, and it's not like a trans person is going to start reading the Sun after the 436th Guardian column from Julie Burchill.

Like I say this is just a thought that occurred to me that seems to explain a few of the missing pieces and of course comes from the happily privileged position of someone who can just view this more or less as an outsider, so I'm more than happy to hear if and why I'm talking out of my arse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Went to do some gardening and took photos after. Nice couple of days this weekend.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

OwlFancier posted:

Went to do some gardening and took photos after. Nice couple of days this weekend.

That's a big garden you have there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There seems to be a mindset where people extrnalise their own prejudices as "oh, other people will say..." Like they don't want to admit that it's what they thought, so they frame it as 'concerns' that 'other people' might think that.

My brother dyed his hair pillbox red (and to be fair he has great hair and it looked really good) and my Daily Mail reading Mam was up in arms about it, talking about 'what will people think' and 'people will call him names' and I just felt like no; you feel like that, you just don't want to admit it so you're pretending that other people are going to think that.

That is the current Labour leadership's means of formulating policy, yes.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
many people think bump_fn is the best poster itt, we’re hearing it more and more folks

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

crispix posted:

GET ON THE FLOH

GET ON THE FLOH NAOW GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FLOH :cop:

NFL this was my immediate thought when I saw the video lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/EnyaComments/status/1399063115426406405

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A random thought that someone much more clever has probably already come up with and rejected, but one thing that I think makes the UK quite so TERF-y is the underlying structure of society. American feminists fought to make women the legal and societal equals to men because the national myth of America is based on equality, while the British flavour of radical feminism (people always forget what the RF stands for) actually tried to establish women as a separate and privileged class because the British national character is still absolutely class-riven.

The logical endpoints of the two are - I think - pretty much what we're seeing played out, because in a truly equal society transphobia is almost impossible in that a truly equal society would not have gender roles; the difference between genders would be the position of a tick in a box somewhere, and biological sex would just be a thing that mattered for reproduction and channeling people into the queues for cervical or testicular cancer testing, no more important in your day-to-day life than your blood group. Therefore in the US the flavour of transphobia is much more easily identified with old-fashioned homophobia - until very recently on this very site you could perfectly acceptably roll out some version of the Guardsman's Defence as a reason to shun trans people, as if trans women were lurking in every bar just waiting to trick poor innocent red-blooded men. Hell even the bathroom thing is just a hastily-resprayed version of all of the "Oi oi, backs to the wall" bollocks you still occasionally hear thrown at gay people.

(Note of course that this also is *way* more revealing of the people with these supposed fears, because what they're actually saying is "My god if I found myself in a woman's bathroom I don't know that I'd be able to stop myself")

Meanwhile in Britain the prevailing form of transphobia is much more bound up with that kind of second-wave "Women are the bearers of life" thought which has always struck me as weirdly Victorian, especially as it's often accompanied by the sex-negative stuff that leads to SWERFery. They may accept, and even fight for, the idea of total equality but the means they've chosen (consciously or not) to do so is to set up "Is capable of giving birth" as a distinct class of human being deserving of special rights and privileges, with the obvious corollary of penis-havers being a lesser class. Once you have that mindset - especially if you've gone on to found a lucrative media career on it - the idea that a penis-haver might be allowed into your Special Club is viscerally horrifying. To them it does actually feel more directly like an attack than it does to the more mainline reactionary form of transphobia. And like I say, a lot of these 60s and 70s radical feminists are now very firmly ensconced within the media and politics so they drive the media narrative - notice that the bathroom thing doesn't get quite as much play over here as it did in the States, because the chosen TERF battleground so far has been self-ID and the ramifications of it.

Of course this also means that the *experience* of transphobia is very different on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Violence against trans people is much more common in the US than the UK (although not by a *huge* amount once you account for the greater levels of violence generally) but the UK certainly feels like a more transphobic place because the big noise about trans people in the US is mostly from dipshits on Fox News and so safely ignored by most good people, whereas over here it's coming from the people who are *supposed* to be the good ones standing up for the oppressed, and it's not like a trans person is going to start reading the Sun after the 436th Guardian column from Julie Burchill.

Like I say this is just a thought that occurred to me that seems to explain a few of the missing pieces and of course comes from the happily privileged position of someone who can just view this more or less as an outsider, so I'm more than happy to hear if and why I'm talking out of my arse.

I think it's just because all our famous feminists are posh cunts.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You can hate this country without the use of psychedelic substances.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m back from Edinburgh for the week, where I got engaged! Now time to make some “engagement beer” for the celebrations!

I’m ridiculously happy!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Red Oktober posted:

I’m ridiculously happy!

Congrats!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As with many analyses I don't think this is the whole story but this one has quite a bit to commend it. I will definitely say that transphobia from terfs has a far more vicious feel to it, subjectively, than from other parts of society. Maybe that's because I'm inured to what is, as you say, more-or-less just reheated homophobia, but the root of it being "Ew it's gross" or "God made you an [X] for a reason" just doesn't seem to hit as hard or animate as hatefully as "Your existence is an existential threat to my philosophy". And your average transphobic right-winger is more likely to just make a helicopter joke and forget about the whole thing whilst the terves seem to dedicate their entire lives to hatred with a zeal and focus usually reserved for particularly devout faithful of the Emperor.

Red Oktober posted:

I’m back from Edinburgh for the week, where I got engaged! Now time to make some “engagement beer” for the celebrations!

I’m ridiculously happy!

Oh nice, grats!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's something particularly vile about the sneering, self assured and oh so reasonable veneer they try to put on everything. Just makes you want to give the pricks a good punch just to see that shatter. Not only are their ideas garbage but the entire method they use to push them is loving soul poisoningly miserable. Opposed not only in ideal but also in form to the joyful, liberatory ideas they are trying to squash.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

"My ideology says I'm not allowed to be happy, so you must be miserable too."

Have you tried picking an ideology that lets you be happy?

"No, now gently caress off."

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Popping in to say congrats Red Oktober. :toot:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I have spent 5 HOURS tracking down a £308.96 error in Xero. (I eventually found it in May 2020). So it's good to see some feelgood posts.

Red Oktober posted:

I’m ridiculously happy!

Congratulations!

OwlFancier posted:

Nice garden! ;)

I really want to go to the seaside but somewhere where there's hardly anyone about (just enough people to rescue me if I start to drown), but also easily accessible by public transport. Ho hum. Dream on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean one of the benefits of the beach is that there is usually a lot of beach so people can spread out.

Oh and I meant to wish you a congratulations Red Oktober but I forgot to actually write it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bump_fn posted:

many people think bump_fn is the best poster itt, we’re hearing it more and more folks

I heard it!
(On the grapevine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixqofv-Oi74

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Red Oktober posted:

I’m ridiculously happy!

Hell yeah

E: On an unrelated note I put half a teaspoon of curry powder in a pack of salt & shake and it was great.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2021

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Red Oktober posted:

I’m ridiculously happy!

Congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread is up!